Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160706_174149 (resized).jpg
20160706_175610 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

Working DMD and plays well. Ideas on price?

#2 7 years ago

Sold mine few weeks back for $2700 CAN.

Cabinet was beat up, but the game played great.

#3 7 years ago

We sold one at TPF March 2016 for $1300 and it was in pretty good condition, played good and had a good display.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

We sold one at TPF March 2016 for $1300 and it was in pretty good condition, played good and had a good display.

Wow $1300 is a steal! I thought they'd go for around $2k but it sounds like I am north of the mark

#5 7 years ago

Here's one on CL for $1,850. I personally think he's still a bit high. Seems like $14-1500 is more the going rate.

fortwayne.craigslist.org link

#6 7 years ago

$1500 to $2000 based on condition would be my opinion.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Wow $1300 is a steal! I thought they'd go for around $2k but it sounds like I am north of the mark

I think at $2K, it better be pristine. I've seen a few Hook's FS over the past few years and they seem to sit even in the $1600-1900 range. I'd pounce at $1200-1300, start to weigh my options at $1500, and buy a Pinbot (or something else more desirable) in the $2K range.

#8 7 years ago

I paid $1600 for mine. Cab in decent shape but some normal scrapes and dings with flipper button wear. Ramps good with a single small crack in the Rufio ramp. Mylar. It had a weak flipper but I knew that before buying. No playfield wear.

Here's the for sale ad...
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/36629

Higher than $2K sounds too high unless absolutely perfect.

It's beautiful game. Artwork is awesome. Gameplay is decent. Sounds are pure DE (which I love).

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Actually 1250-1500 is what they seem to sell around here for..... that can take a bit do to the title.

#10 7 years ago

2k is high unless its Dustin Hoffman's pin

#11 7 years ago

Ok if anyone in the New England area wants to sell a nice one to me for $1500 I am totally in.

#12 7 years ago

Why are you looking for one? Have you played it before?

I've never went specifically looking for a pin. I've just bought whatever's available.

#13 7 years ago

Yes I've played it at Pinball Wizard. I like the ramp shots for sure, and given prices right now it seems like good value. No modes is a drawback but I mean I'm not an A pin collector anyways. I'd rather have two B titles for 2k than one A for 4K.

#14 7 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#15 7 years ago

Super Mega Nice Condition, LEDs and RETAIL pricing is $2000+

#16 7 years ago

Honestly hook is one of a few games I regret selling. Genesis is the other. I'll have nice ones back again. Just don't know when. I think it's a great game.

#17 7 years ago

Anything over $1500 and it seems to sit for a while around here.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

hook is VERY hard to sell. I sold one that looked like it came out of the box for $700 about 6 years ago and that was hard to move at that price. They went up a little, but no where near 2k. You will never get 2k for a small DMD DE ever. Unless you want it to take 2 years to sell.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

hook is VERY hard to sell. I sold one that looked like it came out of the box for $700 about 6 years ago and that was hard to move at that price. They went up a little, but no where near 2k. You will never get 2k for a small DMD DE ever. Unless you want it to take 2 years to sell.

I think a couple of the other small DMDs are 2K or above, mostly based on theme. Batman is one. Star Trek is riding the line at 2K as well as TMNT. Checkpoint and Hook are the lowliest based on price and interest.

If I found a Batman below $2K, I would own it before Hook because I like the theme but they aren't usually that low unless beat up.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

$700 sounds insanely low.
I sold one for I think it was $1400 in 2013. It's nice looking but no staying power unless your collection is huge or you're a nerd of the film...

I wish it were true, but the small dmd games Batman and Turtles have been on the rise and creeped to the 2k mark.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think a couple of the other small DMDs are 2K or above, mostly based on theme. Batman is one. Star Trek is riding the line at 2K as well as TMNT. Checkpoint and Hook are the lowliest based on price and interest.
If I found a Batman below $2K, I would own it before Hook because I like the theme but they aren't usually that low unless beat up.

batman isn't as valuable as you think. I've turned one down for $700 recently because it was too rough. Booted, but rough. most are. TMNT is sub $1500 most of the time as well. Checkpoint is sub 1k. Hook floats close to 1k. ST25th is probably the most valuable out of the bunch and still under 2k.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Yup same thing here about a year ago.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, MI.
269-979-3836

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

batman isn't as valuable as you think. I've turned one down for $700 recently because it was too rough. Booted, but rough. most are. TMNT is sub $1500 most of the time as well. Checkpoint is sub 1k. Hook floats close to 1k. ST25th is probably the most valuable out of the bunch and still under 2k.

Condition matters and it sounds like all of those around $1k prices reflect that. I've seen a few good condition ST25s under $2k but never a Batman.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

eh - past two years and I've never seen it that low. I agree it's not 2k but under 1k? Maybe in your area. Pittsburgh, Ohio - no way that hook stays for sale that long at that price.

#25 7 years ago

area does mean a lot as well. When you have lower dollar games. $400 shipping is 25% of the game. People tend to want to pick those up in person. So having it in your backyard means a lot. Up here. Most people already know that a lot of those games kinda suck, so nobody is willing to overpay on any of them. I love DE, but this small DMD era is the worst of the DE lineup. Everything before it was really good. and most things after were really good.

#26 7 years ago

I sold a HUO 12 months ago for 2300.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I love DE, but this small DMD era is the worst of the DE lineup.

When you say worst, is it because of the code? I really like the art on all of them and there are some unique game play elements. Honestly I'd like to get them all which thankfully won't cost me much.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

When you say worst, is it because of the code? I really like the art on all of them and there are some unique game play elements. Honestly I'd like to get them all which thankfully won't cost me much.

Most of them have one shot. TMNT is pretty bad. I like batman quite a bit better. Hook is my favorite of them all. The artwork is nice in all of them but they had issues. A lot of playfield issues in this type of game for sure

#29 7 years ago

This is a average pinball machine that on a good day will fetch $1500 tops. IMO it's a $1200 - $1300 pin tops.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

yes mostly code is a killer.

Hook has an awesome layout. But the code is boring and uneventful If it could be totally rewritten and give it some modes, combos and some other goodies going on, it could be awesome.

Batman. Clunky and again the rules are not the best.

Checkpoint suffers from the one shot does everything flaw.

ST 25th. Best of the bunch, but nothing really stands out overall.

TMNT- all around uneventful and about as fun as Rocky and bullwinkle

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes mostly code is a killer.
Hook has an awesome layout. But the code is boring and uneventful If it could be totally rewritten and give it some modes, combos and some other goodies going on, it could be awesome.
Batman. Clunky and again the rules are not the best.
Checkpoint suffers from the one shot does everything flaw.
ST 25th. Best of the bunch, but nothing really stands out overall.
TMNT- all around uneventful and about as fun as Rocky and bullwinkle

TMNT is ok, ramp ramp loop combo!

#32 7 years ago

I sold my Hook this summer for $1600. Full LEDS, super clean, new head decals, 100% working. Had multiple inquiries. I think it's gaining popularity.

Make sure rope lights work.

20160706_175610 (resized).jpg20160706_175610 (resized).jpg

20160706_174149 (resized).jpg20160706_174149 (resized).jpg

#33 7 years ago

I have one for sale on NH craigslist. Located in Goffstown, NH.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I sold my Hook this summer for $1600. Full LEDS, super clean, new head decals, 100% working. Had multiple inquiries. I think it's gaining popularity.
Make sure rope lights work.

I think you lucked out. People who pay that much are people that look at it, without ever playing one. because the game looks great. Looks like it would be a lot of fun, and turns out.....it's not. Shots are layout are great. Code is seriously gimped.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think you lucked out. People who pay that much are people that look at it, without ever playing one. because the game looks great. Looks like it would be a lot of fun, and turns out.....it's not. Shots are layout are great. Code is seriously gimped.

Code is being worked by Chad. I'm not expecting miracles but it should be better.

#36 7 years ago

I know it is going to be redone, but there isn't a lot of room (insert wise) to be able to do a long list of modes of purpose. That's one of the flaws with R&B as well. Nothing really feels like a progression or ending.

#37 7 years ago

I had a super nice Hook a long time ago, but what sticks in my mind the most is HOOK,HOOK, HOOK could not take it anymore.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

I had a super nice Hook a long time ago, but what sticks in my mind the most is HOOK,HOOK, HOOK could not take it anymore.

It does suffer from Sound Fatigue. It get's to a point where you anticipate losing your last ball so you can hear the best sound in the game: the End-Of-Game call outs. That's proof stereo works great on pinballs.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

It does suffer from Sound Fatigue. It get's to a point where you anticipate losing your last ball so you can hear the best sound in the game: the End-Of-Game call outs. That's proof stereo works great on pinballs.

I wish it had a greater variety of music. I love that tune at the beginning before you launch but that's the only time it plays.

1 week later
#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Yes I've played it at Pinball Wizard. I like the ramp shots for sure, and given prices right now it seems like good value. No modes is a drawback but I mean I'm not an A pin collector anyways. I'd rather have two B titles for 2k than one A for 4K.

ChadH should have a new Rom out for it any day now with some amazing fixes and game play updates. Gonna bring new life to a great but bug riddled game.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

hook is VERY hard to sell. I sold one that looked like it came out of the box for $700 about 6 years ago and that was hard to move at that price.

And I sold a nice shopped AFM 6 years ago for $3500 and it took me a month.

Hook isn't THAT bad. It's a $1500 game more or less these days, and I think it wouldn't take too long to sell at that price.

#42 7 years ago

I agree. I think hook is better than it gets credit for. Layout is really good. Shoots well and nice looking. It's just the rules that are seriously lacking.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I agree. I think hook is better than it gets credit for. Layout is really good. Shoots well and nice looking. It's just the rules that are seriously lacking.

It's got a system 11-type depth that is good enough for what it is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-hook-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.