By Tyamry

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992
#1 8 years ago

I have a friend that is looking at a Hook. He says its in nice condition, but that's all I know. I have not seen the pin. Can anyone help out on a ballpark for a price. TIA

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

I have a friend that is looking at a Hook. He says its in nice condition, but that's all I know. I have not seen the pin. Can anyone help out on a ballpark for a price. TIA

If I wanted one, I wouldn't pay more than $1,200 for one. Very little resell value on that game and he will get bored of it quickly if it's his only game.

#3 8 years ago

1000-1200 depending on condition and if it needs shopped

#4 8 years ago

I like hook. I think I got $1400 out of mine. It was a super clean reimport.

#5 8 years ago

Last one i had looked damn good and I barely got $750 for it. That was about 6 years ago. But I know all the small DMD DE's hardly ever clear 1500. I wouldn't want to be invested more than 1000-1200. its a great starter pin. Looks great, has some nice shots.

#6 8 years ago

Hook was my first pin purchase, and I love it to death. Tons of people give the game gripe, but it has a lot of fun shots, it looks cool, and everyone loves the theme. When I bought mine, Pinsiders were saying "DONT SPEND MORE THAN $700 FOR THAT POS" Well, good luck finding one at that price. In my experience, they were going between $1200-2000 . Most of the ones I looked at fell around $1600 as an asking price.
Things to look for:
1)Plastics are hard to find for this game. The Windcoaster ramp, and its red lighting are next to impossible to replace. Make sure they are present and work.
2)This game has the small Data East DMD. These are also practically impossible to replace. Make sure the screen works perfectly. Run a test.
3)Every Hook I have ever seen has paint worn off around the buttons. This is not an easy touch up because this is right on Captain Hooks intricately painted Hat.
4) When the ball launches, It shouts out "BALL 1, 2,3," ETC. Many games mess up here, calling out a wrong ball number. This is a very common problem
5) Some people take off the Peter Pan book plastic in the back left. Make sure it i present.
6) This game is a bear to shop. Everything connects to each other.

Overall, don't let people dissuade you. I love my Hook. Its an really fun game, and my all my guests love it.

#7 8 years ago

1,000 to 1,200 max

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from charliebrown2417:

Hook was my first pin purchase, and I love it to death. Tons of people give the game gripe, but it has a lot of fun shots, it looks cool, and everyone loves the theme. When I bought mine, Pinsiders were saying "DONT SPEND MORE THAN $700 FOR THAT POS" Well, good luck finding one at that price. In my experience, they were going between $1200-2000 . Most of the ones I looked at fell around $1600 as an asking price.
Things to look for:
1)Plastics are hard to find for this game. The Windcoaster ramp, and its red lighting are next to impossible to replace. Make sure they are present and work.
2)This game has the small Data East DMD. These are also practically impossible to replace. Make sure the screen works perfectly. Run a test.
3)Every Hook I have ever seen has paint worn off around the buttons. This is not an easy touch up because this is right on Captain Hooks intricately painted Hat.
4) When the ball launches, It shouts out "BALL 1, 2,3," ETC. Many games mess up here, calling out a wrong ball number. This is a very common problem
5) Some people take off the Peter Pan book plastic in the back left. Make sure it i present.
6) This game is a bear to shop. Everything connects to each other.
Overall, don't let people dissuade you. I love my Hook. Its an really fun game, and my all my guests love it.

where the hell were you people when I was selling my flawless one? I would have been happy to cash in $1200 on it.

#9 8 years ago

It's hard to believe that you can get anything other than a early SS for $1000-$1200 these days. I'd be interested in a hook at that price point!

#10 8 years ago

if you want the worst DMD made, SF2's still show up for 700ish

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if you want the worst DMD made, SF2's still show up for 700ish

Not in OH or MI... there's nothing for $700 except maybe an EM.

#12 8 years ago

I too struggle to find even project DMD games under $1000. Not saying they aren't there. I got a rescue 911 once for $250. I repaired and shopped with full LEDs and tons of new parts. It sold for $800. Granted it was to a friend but I would never have gotten $1000 out of it I'm afraid. But it also had some playfield wear.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-hook and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.