By Frankenator

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Found a Hollywood Heat that's in pretty rough condition

The bad and the ugly: lower cabinet front left corner is split at the corner where the face and side come together. Powers up but scoring LED not working - after a while you can start a game (scoring display always off though). Drop targets didn't pop up. Rollover switches at top of playfield don't register. The ball locks do work properly so multiball still registered ok. RHand slingshot switch broken. Numerous cracked, & broken plastics. One mini playfield flipper not operating. Needs cleaning, multiple broken or missing posts, all new rubbers, various lights. Top of red ramp held to mounting screw with electrical tape. Targets #6 & 7 don't match the rest. Backglass is faded. Red LED trouble lamp lit on the sound board.

The (possibly) good?: I can get it for about $180

Soooooo I'm not afraid of a project, but I know a lot of the playfield plastic parts are hard to come by (especially that red ramp). This would be my first rehab, and I would love to bring a machine back to life. I'm just not sure even at a "low" price that this one has enough going for it to make it worth my while. Your input is greatly appreciated - and NO I have never played a working version of this game.

My hunch is that I would be more motivated to restore a machine I already KNOW that I love (something like Whirlwind) so my time and effort (and money spent) would be better rewarded.

#2 10 years ago

Nice ones go for $500 to $600 around here.

#3 10 years ago

I've been pricing out the parts to make it "nice" again to make sure I don't end up in the hole on this one. I'm waiting for the guy to respond to my final offer if he reduces the price to my final number I'm going to do the project. Freaking ebay "buy it now at my fantasy price" search makes an uninformed seller a difficult person to deal with - guy suddenly thinks his garbage machine is worth $1,600. Thanks for the real world price info.

#4 10 years ago

I've had 2

One was given to me, the other cost me $50

#5 10 years ago

it would be better rewarded.. but that said education in a cheap game isnt wasted either. the game is likely worth more then $180 in parts alone, for example the fact that "all displays" arnt working indicates that a power issue over anything else. if the seller didn't maliciously put crappy parts into it that are all garbage - the education alone is worth the fun.

its not worth restoring unless you have some connection with the game.. just learn how to fix plastics and ramps as best as you can.. if you break it worse .. not like it matters much.

for $150-180 sounds like a fun project.. its sort of nice to have a pin that you can beat the crap out of you can always sell it for the price you got it.. if you get it working a little better. so that is easy stress free cash decision.

#6 10 years ago

Not much these days...

#7 10 years ago

I had bought one years back never got it working sold off most of the parts but still have a complete pf. So if you get it and can't find some new let me know.

#8 10 years ago

@Spudgunman I'm starting to think it could be a cheap way to troubleshoot some boards, do the recommended modifications, and have some fun learning without the risk of a higher dollar machine. I've already read the repair sites for the 80b system this might just end up being like you said a good low cost beater/trainer.

@mario how good is condition of your playfield? I remember this one looking pretty good (was the mylar standard?). This one has it fit in the lower playfield that starts at the bottom level of the slingshots & it doesn't go near any edges of the playfield area - the one on ipdb looks like it has it as well (zoom in the lower playfield pic). Everything attached to the playfield need some tlc.

#9 10 years ago

The game is better than both its rep and its looks.

I find 80B games pretty easy to get going. The board set is quite straightforward.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#10 10 years ago

Its in alright shape with the mylar the same as yours.

#11 10 years ago

hollywood heat is awesome.

#12 10 years ago

Its a freaking fun game..and one excelent multi-player game as well...

they are easy to get going, and built like tanks....

The mini PF is a blast....

A new MPU is $199, and the other boards are valuable as well...

The boards are relatively easy to service...

I love mine and it is stupid fast, a glass smacker

#13 10 years ago

It is a fine game. I got one for very cheap, it would not play, it had a shorted transistor and burned coil but overall it was complete. The previous owner had taken out his rage on the broken game by punching the glass in, I was amazed by how many spots the tempered glass cubes can get into. I think every plastic was broken, but all of the pieces were present, so out came the shipping tape.

This is a pin to learn on if you are at that stage in the hobby. The game is not that bad to play, but it would make me sad if it was the only pin I had.

If you got it for under $200 you could still break even by parting it out if the game was a total mess. Just don't put in much money because even if the game is in great shape it will never bring much money. I think I sold mine for ~$650 and the cabinet was very nice, the playfield was decent and it fully worked with all new rubber, cleaned and waxed well. It was not a hard sell at that price, but I don't think I could have done much better.

#14 10 years ago

The rules and strategy are pretty cool...

you gotta try to get your heat bonus up there, which is awarded in one lump sum at the end of ball 3," if on 3 ball"...

the end of a 2 player game that is tight will be a nail biter, waiting to see who's bonus is larger for the win....

The drop targets can be in " in sync" mode...which is cool as hell....

but you have to do a bunch of stuff to qualify it....

there is alot to the game, for an early SS...

mine is super cherry and is a total keeper, it is too much fun for not a pile of money....

#15 10 years ago

Agree with Gerry. Total sleeper game. Gold Wings and Hollywood Heat are insanely clever and don't deserve the negative baggage their themes/cheesy translights earn them (although the Hollywood Heat theme is cool imo). At 180, I think the real investment question is how much time and elbow grease the game is going to require to get up and running.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from sosage:

Agree with Gerry. Total sleeper game. Gold Wings and Hollywood Heat are insanely clever and don't deserve the negative baggage their themes/cheesy translights earn them (although the Hollywood Heat theme is cool imo). At 180, I think the real investment question is how much time and elbow grease the game is going to require to get up and running.

Forgot to mention you can steal other peoples locked balls...freakin awesome in head to head...

It produces alot of name calling.. LOL

HH has lane change that is actually a vital part of the game too...

Simple yet cool rules..

The SYS80B games have a ton of clever stuff in them....

For instance, i love the lane "HOLD" not lane change in Monte Carlo...that NEVER gets old

And CLEVER is a great way to put it Sosage "

And i agree with Gold Wings, just making all of the shots in that tricky little congested PF is fun...

#17 10 years ago

Yeah. You almost don't want to start Mb until you have maxed out the multipliers, since those are vital for doing well at Mb...not so much nailing a jackpot. Just starting Mb without a plan in hh is reckless.

#18 10 years ago

If anyone has a working Hollywood Heat in New England....ping me

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

If anyone has a working Hollywood Heat in New England....ping me

you wont be disappointed

#20 10 years ago

Well folks, just drove it home for $175 cash & I'm very happy. Unfortunately I have a lot to do around the house before company comes in for the holiday weekend, but I can't wait to get this on the operating table for a good ole' fashioned resurrection. I'll start a new thread if it's worth it as I go along. I love that there's so much information already available on this site and others - the community support in this hobby is second to none (and I'm just getting started). Thanks everyone!

#21 10 years ago

*If anyone knows of the existence of playfield plastics please let me know (other than the one's Marco has - ironically those are the only good ones on the machine I bought). Other parts will probably be needed as I go along, that is just what I know for sure for now.

#22 10 years ago

I would probably just spend the $500 and buy a nice one and enjoy from day 1.Unless you like tinkering.

#23 10 years ago

I have an extra parts PF and some used plastics...some other assorted HH stuff too...

Get ahold of me when you get around to it.....

you will have a lot of fun with that game when its done

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

I have an extra parts PF and some used plastics...some other assorted HH stuff too...

I could use a system 80B CPU board if you have an extra lying around.

#25 10 years ago

Just bought 2 new ones, and am going to send out my used non working ones to Chris Hibler one of these days....

He is the man for fixing sys80 80A, and 80B stuff...

He is on here PM him and make arraingments to have him hook you up..

#26 10 years ago

I had one and really liked it. The captive ball in with the pop bumper was awesome when you had MB going too. The jump ramp was very unique, and not easy to make. Steve Ritchie thought it was Trudeau's best design.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

you wont be disappointed

I sold mine years ago in the "big pinball collection shinkage" era (when Avatar, Tron LE, etc were coming out and I couldn't resist). I have regretted it ever since.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I sold mine years ago in the "big pinball collection shinkage" era (when Avatar, TRON LE, etc were coming out and I couldn't resist). I have regretted it ever since.

I know what ya mean... mine is going nowhere !

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

I would probably just spend the $500 and buy a nice one and enjoy from day 1.Unless you like tinkering.

I'm definitely a tinkerer I love taking things apart to fix them/find out how they work. Was definitely a decision I closely weighed as other playable machines were in my budget - this just seemed more like "me" to get and take on.

Quoted from Gerry:

Thanks I'll definitely be in touch with you about parts, I'm glad this machine has fans out there.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

I had one and really liked it. The captive ball in with the pop bumper was awesome when you had MB going too. The jump ramp was very unique, and not easy to make. Steve Ritchie thought it was Trudeau's best design.

The jump ramp is definitely a unique and cool feature I'm looking forward to.

#30 10 years ago

After re-seating all of the edge connectors and harnesses "The Heat Is On!" (yes corny mid-80's joke is totally necessary)

Still have a gimp upper flipper, drops not working, tons of lamps need replacing, closed switch errors = 40, 41, 50, 51, 60, 66 & solenoids 3-7 not firing, but OH MAN FUN FUN FUN!

Because my upper playfield is completely missing the inlane I can still get multiball ready using just the left mini flipper to capture both balls (makes for a fun challenge while I get a full parts list ready and ordered). Got to shoot the jump ramp, see some nice airballs off the front spot targets (one went right over flippers I have the glass off). Really hard to go to work right now but knew you would appreciate the update.

#31 10 years ago

Yes thanks of the update. Pics?

#32 10 years ago

Cool, updates are welcome

#33 10 years ago

I should be able to upload some photos tonight. While I'm checking in does anyone have a manual or parts explosion so I can make sure I order the right part #/size, etc. for what's missing? No paperwork was inside when I got it. I'll probably start a new thread tonight for the fix and provide the link here. It's good motivation to get my work projects done so I can get back to my pin

#34 10 years ago

I've played the custom Evil Dead pin. I love the layout.

#35 10 years ago

Was that built from an original Hollywood Heat?

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Was that built from an original Hollywood Heat?

Yes

#37 10 years ago

Cool, I hadn't seen that project. A friend of mine has a hollywood heat and we have been considering attempting something similar. Is there a post or website with the process they went through at all on that?

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Cool, I hadn't seen that project. A friend of mine has a Hollywood Heat and we have been considering attempting something similar. Is there a post or website with the process they went through at all on that?

Everything was documented here on Pinside. Search Evil Dead.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-hollywood-heat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.