• 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by thierryv
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 9 years ago

I'd love to buy a nice Fathom, totally in the market for that specific title, so I can speak just for myself as a buyer. I'm not paying an extra $1k for a new cabinet and another $1k for the "rarity and appreciation". It's still what it is, a nice 1980 Bally. It's only worth so much as an old game to me.

Maybe other people feel differently, but once you leave the $4k range I'm gonna pass for something else. Doesn't matter how nice it is (unless we're maybe talking HEP) there's just a point where you don't get your money back out of a game. Especially the labor. That's just part of the restore game for the most part, for better or for worse.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I understand your 4k range limit.
My Fathom was un-restored at basically 2.5k with $700 for the playfield. I had tons of inquiries and, after looking again, this was 3 years ago.
The machine shown here is far superior to mine so I am sticking with my estimate. He actually might want more.

Hey, maybe there are people who will pay $6k for a Fathom. I'm gonna pick up a HUO AC/DC instead or something for that kind of money. There's simply no old game that's worth that much to me. I'd love to have a Fathom, but at the end of the day it's just a Fathom.

He can "want more" but it's the buyer who'll decide. Maybe there's a line for that price and I should lower my expectations for finding one, I honestly don't know.

I get your logic, but my perspective is just that you reach a point where the more money your pour into a game the less of it you get back, until you can reach a point where you're actually losing every dollar you spend. Then it's purely a labor of love, and speaking of labor, forget actually getting your labor back out. You gotta do it because you love it. I dunno how much time I spent restoring my EATPM playfield, but I knew when I was doing it that it was for me, and that no buyer would ever even pay me minimum wage for the time.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

$10k and count on mine, so yes some people would pay $6k for a finished restored machine.

Well I definitely wouldn't pay $10k for one, period no matter what. But I know what kind of work you do, and I understand that there are special buyers for special machines, and you can't really compare them to the regular market. I wouldn't pay for a HEP either, but I understand why people do that.

Hey Joe, if you can get $6k for this one then take the money. I mean no disrespect to the work and effort, but this is just a really clean and nice game, not something where you not only "did the coil wrappers" but chromed every piece under the playfield that most people will never see etc.

Like I said, maybe there are buyers lining up at that price and I'm just not one of them. I wouldn't feel like I was low balling anyone by offering in the low $4k for such a machine though, and I'd walk without a second thought if they wouldn't take that.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

$5000 would move it in about 30 seconds, $6000 if you don't mind waiting a few weeks. $8000 is even doable, if you wait for the right buyer.

Okay, I'm obviously out of touch or you're crazy if you think anyone is paying $8k for this game.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

You're out of touch. It only takes one wealthy person who has to have a perfect Fathom, but not the interest or the ability to do their own restoration.

Okay, but (again no offense intended) this isn't a perfect Fathom. It's a nice restore, looks really clean and great, I'd love to own it myself. But we have people here who do "perfect restores", Mike is one and is posting in this thread even. Like I said, I get that some people pay crazy money for what he does, or what HEP does. Those are above and beyond.

This is just a really clean and nice game. Worth a premium for sure. Just like that beautifully restored Taxi, which just sold on eBay for around $3600. Because at the end of the day even though it's reaaaallly nice, it's still a Taxi.

So sure, we can play that "what if some rich guy wants it" game, but he's probably gonna hit up Mike or Chris.

Anyways, if someone wants to pay crazy money then of course I say take it. But if you want to ask what it's worth I say you're gonna be sitting on it at $6k, let alone $8k.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but the market is pretty soft right now.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from thierryv:

I have a gorgeous one for sale with new cpr pf, backglass, plastic set and blue led digits...
located in Belgium ...only 2950 euro's for this beauty !
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/112459503540846743840/albums/6075525401758294081

Man that is nice. I'd pay that if it was in the US! Is that topper original or something CPR did or what? Never seen it.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

The topper is part of the CPR repro set.

Ah, makes sense. Where did the art come from though?

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It's the art from just above the A-B-C rollovers. It was really genius of Stu to use that, since you don't really get to see it much when you're playing.

Ha, I didn't even notice that. Perfect.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from thierryv:

Well, maybe you should take some information about shipping costs' I can box/pallet in a stern box

I haven't a clue what the shipping would be, but buying a game from overseas from someone I don't know sounds kinda nervewracking, as much as I'd love to have it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 90.00
£ 195.00
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-help-please-well-restored-fathom?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.