• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Guys, I could use some opinions on this, and I bet I've come to the right place

Considering selling this Fathom, latest-run CPR pf, new Big Time cabinet, new legs, original *perfect* backglass, CPR plastics, new posts, rubbers, bodies, caps, drop targets, flipper plastics, post caps, all mechs rebuilt, LEDs in inserts, Alltek lamp board, highly detailed in and out, and yes I know I didn't do the coil wrappers

What's this worth in today's market?

http://s298.photobucket.com/user/jgrenuk/library/Fathom?sort=2&page=1

Thanks for your input.

#2 9 years ago

Nice work Joe. GLWTS. You don't see Fathoms this nice very often.

#3 9 years ago

5-6k I sold one for 3.2k with the extra CPR playfield two years ago.

I would add 1k for the field install and debugging.
Another 1k for the new cabinet
Another 1k for the rarity and appreciation of the game.

5-6k.

#4 9 years ago

I'd love to buy a nice Fathom, totally in the market for that specific title, so I can speak just for myself as a buyer. I'm not paying an extra $1k for a new cabinet and another $1k for the "rarity and appreciation". It's still what it is, a nice 1980 Bally. It's only worth so much as an old game to me.

Maybe other people feel differently, but once you leave the $4k range I'm gonna pass for something else. Doesn't matter how nice it is (unless we're maybe talking HEP) there's just a point where you don't get your money back out of a game. Especially the labor. That's just part of the restore game for the most part, for better or for worse.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Maybe other people feel differently, but once you leave the $4k range I'm gonna pass for something else. Doesn't matter how nice it is (unless we're maybe talking HEP) there's just a point where you don't get your money back out of a game. Especially the labor. That's just part of the restore game for the most part, for better or for worse.

I understand your 4k range limit.

My Fathom was un-restored at basically 2.5k with $700 for the playfield. I had tons of inquiries and, after looking again, this was 3 years ago.

The machine shown here is far superior to mine so I am sticking with my estimate. He actually might want more.

#6 9 years ago

Gorgeous cabinet.
If I'm buying, I'd be stoked to pick that up for $4K. I'd still have $475 shipping on top.
-mof

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I understand your 4k range limit.
My Fathom was un-restored at basically 2.5k with $700 for the playfield. I had tons of inquiries and, after looking again, this was 3 years ago.
The machine shown here is far superior to mine so I am sticking with my estimate. He actually might want more.

Hey, maybe there are people who will pay $6k for a Fathom. I'm gonna pick up a HUO AC/DC instead or something for that kind of money. There's simply no old game that's worth that much to me. I'd love to have a Fathom, but at the end of the day it's just a Fathom.

He can "want more" but it's the buyer who'll decide. Maybe there's a line for that price and I should lower my expectations for finding one, I honestly don't know.

I get your logic, but my perspective is just that you reach a point where the more money your pour into a game the less of it you get back, until you can reach a point where you're actually losing every dollar you spend. Then it's purely a labor of love, and speaking of labor, forget actually getting your labor back out. You gotta do it because you love it. I dunno how much time I spent restoring my EATPM playfield, but I knew when I was doing it that it was for me, and that no buyer would ever even pay me minimum wage for the time.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hey, maybe there are people who will pay $6k for a Fathom. I'm gonna pick up a HUO AC/DC instead or something for that kind of money. There's simply no old game that's worth that much to me. I'd love to have a Fathom, but at the end of the day it's just a Fathom.
He can "want more" but it's the buyer who'll decide. Maybe there's a line for that price and I should lower my expectations for finding one, I honestly don't know.
I get your logic, but my perspective is just that you reach a point where the more money your pour into a game the less of it you get back, until you can reach a point where you're actually losing every dollar you spend. Then it's purely a labor of love, and speaking of labor, forget actually getting your labor back out. You gotta do it because you love it. I dunno how much time I spent restoring my EATPM playfield, but I knew when I was doing it that it was for me, and that no buyer would ever even pay me minimum wage for the time.

I actually agree with your logic. My limit is a bit higher but not too much. I have some nice games that could be devalued by 1k just by putting a small scrape on them. Its not what I intended when I got into this hobby so things might be changing with my collection soon.

I am just answering his request of what I think its worth. Fathom is very much in demand and always has been. I know two people actively searching for a nice Fathom who are probably watching this thread right now.

#9 9 years ago

Since this is requesting opinions, Aurich is what'd I'd consider spot on for high end range. I'd actually stop a bit lower, closer to 3500, and that would have to be a title I wanted more than ANY other game I could get for a similar price. In other words, I'd buy a nice WH2O for 3500 before I'd pay that for a fathom, despite the fact that I like the artwork on Fathom much better.

It's a great machine, but the added 2k for cabinet and rarity is 2k too much. A new cabinet could be made and stenciled for probably half that (or less depending on the quality of the cabinet and stencil job) and while $500 for a cabinet and stenciling might seem low, for someone doing it on their own, it is reasonable.

Without going on about points that have been made, $4k seems like not only a decent range, it seems like a sellable range. Chances are you could get well upwards of that, it all depends on how long you plan to hold on to the game.

#10 9 years ago

I've got one that I have been offered $5k for. Kudos for swapping out the POS 555 sockets with 44/47's. I did that to mine as well.

#11 9 years ago

I'd buy that Fathom all day long for $6K, before I ever bought a AC/DC or any other Stern game from the last 10 years. Games like this dont come up very often and spending the money on a title that you can buy anyday of the week just doesn't make sense to me......., but I guess its all what your into. Don't take less then $5K Joe, you should be able to get the $6K I would think or pretty close to it for sure. Good luck.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hey, maybe there are people who will pay $6k for a Fathom.

$10k and count on mine, so yes some people would pay $6k for a finished restored machine.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

$10k and count on mine, so yes some people would pay $6k for a finished restored machine.

Well I definitely wouldn't pay $10k for one, period no matter what. But I know what kind of work you do, and I understand that there are special buyers for special machines, and you can't really compare them to the regular market. I wouldn't pay for a HEP either, but I understand why people do that.

Hey Joe, if you can get $6k for this one then take the money. I mean no disrespect to the work and effort, but this is just a really clean and nice game, not something where you not only "did the coil wrappers" but chromed every piece under the playfield that most people will never see etc.

Like I said, maybe there are buyers lining up at that price and I'm just not one of them. I wouldn't feel like I was low balling anyone by offering in the low $4k for such a machine though, and I'd walk without a second thought if they wouldn't take that.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well I definitely wouldn't pay $10k for one, period no matter what.

I'm not sure anyone would, I'm just crazy

#15 9 years ago

Anyone that grew up with this game that has the money I imagine wouldn't shy away from paying tree fiddy.
images.jpgimages.jpg

#16 9 years ago

$5000 would move it in about 30 seconds, $6000 if you don't mind waiting a few weeks. $8000 is even doable, if you wait for the right buyer. I mean what are they gonna do, buy another new Fathom?

I thought about restoring mine to this level, but after doing the playfield swap on Centaur (sold for $3300), I never want to swap another early Bally. And I didn't want to sink another grand into cabinet+paint.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

$5000 would move it in about 30 seconds, $6000 if you don't mind waiting a few weeks. $8000 is even doable, if you wait for the right buyer.

Okay, I'm obviously out of touch or you're crazy if you think anyone is paying $8k for this game.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Okay, I'm obviously out of touch or you're crazy if you think anyone is paying $8k for this game.

You're out of touch. It only takes one wealthy person who has to have a perfect Fathom, but not the interest or the ability to do their own restoration.

#19 9 years ago

One person with 'too much money' does not define the market. But if you have the ability to find that one guy and wait for him... by all means.

Like most hobbies, its easy to put more money into a restoration than you'll ever get out of it.

The one thing going for this game is it's Fathom which people love the art/look. 5k with a limited market would be my .02. Maybe you find the guy who wants a trophy game and can pay for it and get that 6k plus.. but all depends on your eagerness to move it I suppose.

#20 9 years ago

The thing is, someone with "too much money" is just the kind of guy (or girl) who would rather have an ultra-restored rare classic than something that can be ordered on Amazon with one-click. And it only takes one buyer. Heck, it could be that guy's wife, getting a Christmas present.

The true value is $5k, IMHO. But it's a seller's market for nice Fathoms.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

You're out of touch. It only takes one wealthy person who has to have a perfect Fathom, but not the interest or the ability to do their own restoration.

Okay, but (again no offense intended) this isn't a perfect Fathom. It's a nice restore, looks really clean and great, I'd love to own it myself. But we have people here who do "perfect restores", Mike is one and is posting in this thread even. Like I said, I get that some people pay crazy money for what he does, or what HEP does. Those are above and beyond.

This is just a really clean and nice game. Worth a premium for sure. Just like that beautifully restored Taxi, which just sold on eBay for around $3600. Because at the end of the day even though it's reaaaallly nice, it's still a Taxi.

So sure, we can play that "what if some rich guy wants it" game, but he's probably gonna hit up Mike or Chris.

Anyways, if someone wants to pay crazy money then of course I say take it. But if you want to ask what it's worth I say you're gonna be sitting on it at $6k, let alone $8k.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but the market is pretty soft right now.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

One person with 'too much money' does not define the market.

I disagree. If there is only one beautifully restored Fathom available, then that one wealthy buyer does define the market.

I have no idea how many similarly nice restored Fathoms are likely to be for sale in the next few months, but if you're a wealthy Fathom lover, you're probably not too inclined to wait indefinitely for a "better deal".

Fathom is like the early solid state ToTAN. A beautiful piece of art and history, as well as a really fun machine. I agree with swampfire in that for these type of Fathoms, it is a sellers market.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I disagree. If there is only one beautifully restored Fathom available, then that one wealthy buyer does define the market.

Sorry - one person making bad decisions does not define a trend. You may have less reference points with fewer examples, but one stupid move does not set the standard. Just like if you manage to find a guy selling a hot pin under valued on CL... that doesn't redefine the market because you scored as a buyer. Just like a seller scoring by finding someone with more money than time/interest to work out what they should pay.

Quoted from alveolus:

I have no idea how many similarly nice restored Fathoms are likely to be for sale in the next few months, but if you're a wealthy Fathom lover, you're probably not too inclined to wait indefinitely for a "better deal".

And on the inverse... this isn't as much a restore, but borderline reproduction. It's got a repo playfield, plastics, cabinet, art, etc. The game is beautiful, but the pinnacle? No. Restored, not replaced, original stuff would still demand a high if not higher price.

But simply throwing more money at a game will not make its value go up the same.. there is a point of diminishing returns.

I hope the OP gets what they are looking for in a sale.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

one person making bad decisions does not define a trend.

You seem skilled at side-stepping the point. Trends and standards are irrelevant when you are talking about a single machine. When there are 50 or so of these available, then I'll agree with you.

Quoted from flynnibus:

one stupid move

Again with the judgment. Strikes me as self-righteous. If a guy with a 5 million dollar house and a $120,000 car invites you over to show you his beautiful Fathom for which he overpaid by $3000, are you going to tell him that he is stupid?

Anyway, bump for the seller. Restore or repro, either way I think it is a gorgeous machine and I am jealous of the fortunate future buyer.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

You seem skilled at side-stepping the point. Trends and standards are irrelevant when you are talking about a single machine. When there are 50 or so of these available, then I'll agree with you.

A CPR restored Fathom is not King Kong.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

A CPR restored Fathom is not King Kong.

Unless its the only one of its kind available for sale.

#27 9 years ago

I have a gorgeous one for sale with new cpr pf, backglass, plastic set and blue led digits...
located in Belgium ...only 2950 euro's for this beauty !

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/112459503540846743840/albums/6075525401758294081

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from thierryv:

only 2950 euro's for this beauty

Roughly $3600 US. Good price.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from thierryv:

I have a gorgeous one for sale with new cpr pf, backglass, plastic set and blue led digits...
located in Belgium ...only 2950 euro's for this beauty !
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/112459503540846743840/albums/6075525401758294081

Man that is nice. I'd pay that if it was in the US! Is that topper original or something CPR did or what? Never seen it.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Man that is nice. I'd pay that if it was in the US! Is that topper original or something CPR did or what? Never seen it.

The topper is part of the CPR repro set.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

The topper is part of the CPR repro set.

Ah, makes sense. Where did the art come from though?

#32 9 years ago

I know of a super nice restored Fathom that sold probably in the neighborhood of 8k and was shipped overseas. Not mine, but I do understand the love. In this hobby, if it is the vintage machine you want and others are wanting it as well, supply and demand sets the price.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I know of a super nice restored Fathom that sold probably in the neighborhood of 8k and was shipped overseas. Not mine, but I do understand the love. In this hobby, if it is the vintage machine you want and others are wanting it as well, supply and demand sets the price.

Love the new avatar. Lol

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Ah, makes sense. Where did the art come from though?

It's the art from just above the A-B-C rollovers. It was really genius of Stu to use that, since you don't really get to see it much when you're playing.

#35 9 years ago

[removed - I'm posting too many pics]

#36 9 years ago

5-5.5k. It'll take you a very long time to get 6 methinks

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It's the art from just above the A-B-C rollovers. It was really genius of Stu to use that, since you don't really get to see it much when you're playing.

Ha, I didn't even notice that. Perfect.

#38 9 years ago

Well, maybe you should take some information about shipping costs' I can box/pallet in a stern box

#39 9 years ago

Fathom is in high demand, it's not your normal early SS bally game - it's the pinicle game from that era. I have one in similar condition but with an orig cabinet, and get more people inquiring about buying it than anything else in my collection. A new cabinet and playfield is a ton of work and time to install, if you can find the parts and have the knowledge to take on the task. I would put the value on this at $6k+ depending on location, timing, and buyer.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from thierryv:

Well, maybe you should take some information about shipping costs' I can box/pallet in a stern box

I haven't a clue what the shipping would be, but buying a game from overseas from someone I don't know sounds kinda nervewracking, as much as I'd love to have it.

#41 9 years ago

Indeed I have put a lot of work in it but unfortunately I Live in europe and prices for fathom are lower here. :cry:by the way cabinet is also original.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I haven't a clue what the shipping would be, but buying a game from overseas from someone I don't know sounds kinda nervewracking, as much as I'd love to have it.

Last year I have sold a spirit to someone from LA don,t now what he has paid for shipping.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 90.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

£ 195.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-help-please-well-restored-fathom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.