Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jlm33
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Also accepting opinions on owning the game in general. I own zero gottliebs. This one is not on my bucket list, but then I have never played it either. Supposed to be in excellent condition.

#2 9 years ago

I haven't played it but they just discussed on the The Pinball Podcast and they say that it's a nightmare to keep up and going since its got 3 play fields and lots of stuff going on. They also mentioned an electrical shorting issue that was common with Gottliebs of that era.

That being said, they also said it was really fun, especially for a more experienced player. I think the art package and theme look awesome, unfortunately I have not had the joy of playing one... yet.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks Acampero, I have heard about the maintenance nightmares too. I also read somewhere that if you buy an upgraded board set for about 500 bucks, that makes it much more reliable.

Here is another question. Since I have never looked inside a Gottlieb before in my life - how would I know if it has this new board set?

#4 9 years ago

One of the best looking machines ever IMO. I have been talked out of buying one because it is a PITA to keep it up and running 100% from what I hear. As far as price I have seen $800-$1500. Condition can be all over the map. I wanted one but didn't want one $1500 bad for a really nice one.

#5 9 years ago

This one is freakishly clean. Looks darn near new in pics. Haven't seen it in person yet. But it is also north of 1500....

#6 9 years ago

Even though I'm a newbie it's such an amazing looking machine that it's on my list of pins that I want. PITA or not the theme is just so damn cool.

Listen to The Pinball Podcast and hear what they say.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

This one is freakishly clean. Looks darn near new in pics. Haven't seen it in person yet. But it is also north of 1500....

Whoa; I'd wait on that one.

Like others have said, it can have problems. There are grounding mods to be done on the machine and three levels complicate things.

If you are salivating over the theme, go for it. It is a very fun game that I would pit against a DMD anyday.

*insert Toccata and Fugue here*

#8 9 years ago

Well, I am not salivating over it. Mostly bored and killing time in an airport. But I am serious about maybe buying it. So I added a poll! Hope it works, haven't done one before.

I would like to hear from someone on that board set issue.

#9 9 years ago

Haunted House is one of the best pins Gottlieb produced. The system80 pins can be difficult to keep up if you don't have the ground upgrades etc. done; so long as you do the ground mods etc. they are VERY RELIABLE. I own and have owned a system80 pin and shortly after joining this forum I learned what was needed to keep it in good shape. I 've owned an HH in the past as well as Blackhole and believe me when I say they are worth any problems you may encounter, very challenging play, yet not so deep of a rule set. If it's in very good shape it may be worth more than 1500 but it would have to be very good. I would also tend to think a pin kept in that condition would already have the mods done or perhapes have the pascal boards. I'd ask those questions first.

#10 9 years ago

Thumbs up for Pascal.

Here's a link

http://www.flippp.fr/boards.php?lg=en

I'm looking at getting a restored Cleopatra (Gottlieb System 1) and everything I've read about this cat's boards has been amazing. Makes the unreliable.... reliable.

#11 9 years ago

Gottliebs get a bad rap because gottlieb basically did a piss poor job during the initial design phase and sent them out into the field with some critical flaws. As a result, they broke down all the time.

Thanks to an astute hobbyist/op though (John Robertson?), the fixes were developed and they can be made as reliable, if not more reliable, than any other similar era pin. The first thing that will amaze you when you get a gottlieb is the fact that they are literally built like tanks.

Ground mods in head and cabinet. Offboard the battery. Rebuild the edge connectors. Replace the poorly designed pop bumper boards with new repros or mod them yourself. Do the pop bumper board mod on the upkickers. If you aren't willing to do all this work/make sure it's already been done - yes, it will likely be problematic during your ownership. If you aren't willing to potentially have to rebuild 8 flippers on a single machine, it could be a problem. If you aren't willing to lug around a 300lb monster, it could be a problem. Get past all of that junk and it's a classic machine. Many people have problems getting past all that stuff though.

At $1500+, it should be very nice - and most of the above should have already been done. You just need to verify it. Good luck.

#12 9 years ago

Thank you! That is good advice. I may post a couple of pics later of the boards and under playfield for more seasoned eyes to look over, if anyone is willing to lend their expertise. It is a good drive from my house to pick this baby up. Don't want to make the trip if things aren't skippy.

For some reason I can't upload photos from my iPad.

#13 9 years ago

Is this the one at the Estate sale in ATL? Rumor is it sold for $1,200 today.

#14 9 years ago

I passed on one for $600 in nice shape last lear (nice as in some dings and scrapes here and there but overall sound) Looking back, probably shouldv'e grabbed it, but for $1500 it better be super nice. Love the backbox lightning.

#15 9 years ago

Stack - I am not sure where it came from yet. That is good info to know if so. Thanks!

#16 9 years ago

As long as you apply the mods to a system 80, it's as reliable as any other pin.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Also accepting opinions on owning the game in general. I own zero gottliebs. This one is not on my bucket list, but then I have never played it either. Supposed to be in excellent condition.

i owned one for about 3 years. Did all the ground mods and went through the game within the first month and it played flawlessly until I sold it. I had restored mine and was offered a crazy price I simply could not refuse at the time, but having said that I think I was starting to become bored of the game which was part of my motivation to sell.

My recommendation is to grab the game. If it's in great condition (in particular, all three playfields), you shouldn't be concerned about losing money on it. There are no plans to repro those and the game seems to hold its value well. I will say this...there is something very cool about having one in the collection, there's no doubt in my mind about that.

Dave
http://arcadenovelties.com

#18 9 years ago

If you need one that's close, just drive up and get mine.

PM sent.

#19 9 years ago

Ok, to tie this all up - HH sold to another guy while I was price checking and contemplating.

Hammer price (allegedly, I didn't witness the cash transfer myself) - are you ready?

$2100.

#20 9 years ago

HH isn killer shape with ground mods done, and an excelent PF or should i say PF's is worth north of 1500 for sure...

the 2100 is not out of the question either....

I have a ton of Gottliebs and they are amazingly fun games....

I had a very nice HH, and sold it for 1600, at A-Town 2yrs ago...

gets boring fast unfortunately....

if i had unlimited space, i would grab another, but its not fun enough for me to use up realestate...

Devils Dare is a much Better game.... as a matter of fact it is if not the best SYS80 series game otu playability wise...

HH is great to look at ...awesome artwork. !

And BTW do the ground mods, and they are as reliable as hell, and will give you a ton of enjoyment. !

#21 9 years ago

I wish HH gameplay was more like Black Hole. The theme/art/sound are all great, but it's just too easy and not much on the table feels rewarding.

#22 9 years ago

If it were 'on my list' I would would have bought it. Just too far to drive to get it and then I gotta hope someone would return the favor one day when it comes time to sell, so it was sort of steep from my point of view. Somebody got a nice machine though.

#23 9 years ago

In the southeast I have seen them $800 to $1200.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

I paid $1500 for a nice base HH needing a cleaning but WITH the ground mods done over two years ago. It has mylared playfields and the later VUK mod from the factory. HH was my "desert island" game since I pumped tons of quarters into it in 1981 and it has one of the best art packages ever. I still have it and will not sell it. It is also a favorite of party guests.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

In the southeast I have seen them $800 to $1200.

For average beaters YES, for nice examples NO..

Condition = money

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

Thumbs up for Pascal.
Here's a link
http://www.flippp.fr/boards.php?lg=en
I'm looking at getting a restored Cleopatra (Gottlieb System 1) and everything I've read about this cat's boards has been amazing. Makes the unreliable.... reliable.

These Boards are great. In France, this modification is now often advertised for a sale, with good reason. Pascal Janin has been very helpful.

I love HH for its art. But beware: it seems more like a collector's piece than a player's keeper. A machine I could still consider buying because of its historical value, beauty and glory.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside