Price Check - Gottlieb Joker Poker EM

By pinplayer01

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

As these were a low production run, it may be more challenging in determining what they can be expected to sell for. For this one on eBay, what would be the expected sell price?

ebay.com link: 1978 Gottlieb EM Joker Poker 4 Player Pinball Machine RARE ONLY 820 MADE

#2 10 years ago

Hard to say what it would go for on Ebay. It is hard to find pin due to the low production run of the EM version.

Is it worth $750? Possibly. The playfield needs a fair amount of touch up and the printing on the drops are worn. It is a good game.

With the rectified playfield the score motor can have trouble trying to score the faster ball action. This is the case with my EM Cleopatra.

#3 10 years ago

The missing paint on the base of the head, right side would be a concern for me. This would make a great restoration project. I would do new drops and recondition everything, touch ups everywhere, etc. How much is a mint one worth? Do the math, Ebay will always be 50% or much more on most games.

#4 10 years ago

My guess is this auction is just getting warmed up at $750. It's a pretty collectible title that I'm sure is on a lot of want lists. 820 produced isn't as rare as some titles but EM Joker Poker has a lot going for it. Good gameplay, nice art package and historically interesting being from the transition era. If you don't care about added collectibility of being an EM you may still have a tough time finding a decent example of the SS version for less than $1000.
Alex

#5 10 years ago

I Agree with AlexF.

I have 2 SS machines, currently restoring the 2nd. Love the title, game play and art. The BG on the eBay link is a little flaked, some insert wear as well but the pin is almost 40 years old so you could prob just clean, wax and play it.

I'm gonna take a WAG and say the EM will go for $1500.

#6 10 years ago

No way that EM Joker Poker does less than $2,500.

#7 10 years ago

I've seen ones with a lot better playfields over the years for much less than 2500. Unfortunately, that was before I was actively seeking for one. If you are comfortable with touching up or know an artist, that's not a bad project.

#8 10 years ago

Hope one of you guys pick it up before I'm tempted.

#9 10 years ago

For the record nice SS ones have gone up quite a bit since I got one 4 years ago. Only means higher numbers for the EMs. Repro stuff is available for the SS but not so much for EM.

#10 10 years ago

I would consider picking this up if it was closer and stayed around $1k. Great game, and would be nice to have the reliable EM over the PIA SS with Rockwell electronics.

#11 10 years ago

Just the game I've been looking for. It is a little rough, but I may have to put a bid in anyway.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

I would consider picking this up if it was closer and stayed around $1k. Great game, and would be nice to have the reliable EM over the PIA SS with Rockwell electronics.

I'm down near you in NC. I can't imagine there's a chance of that going that low on eBay. I'd buy it all day and night for that. It will take some work to make it nice though. I just don't have time for it any time soon. One of my grails though.

#13 10 years ago

Put it on your watch list people........we all saw Joe's Atlantis reach astronomical money, but that was a lot nicer condition. Still, I could see this reaching 2k. There are lots of folks with deep pockets that don't mind paying top dollar for rare/desirable games these days.....

#14 10 years ago

The thing with this type of game is a guy may look for years before even seeing an example for sale. You tend to be willing to pony up a little more than what you may normally consider reasonable just based on finally having the opportunity.

John Dayhuff looked forever for his EM Charlies Angels and finally bought one out of this same seller's collection. I don't know what he paid but I think most here would consider it a substantial amount for an EM. It's a rare one you never see for sale and when that's the one big one on your list you can somehow justify the expense.

As far as condition goes you guys must be perfectionists. I do see a few flaws but think it is a nice example overall. I think Joe's Atlantis set the bar pretty high.
Alex

#15 10 years ago

This will top $3k

#16 10 years ago

Alex, did you look at the back box on the right side? The whole lower part is down to bare wood?! Also there is a *lot* of insert wear. The missing paint on the BG lower right is also an issue. Based on condition described in Pinball Eric's guides, I agree it's decent, but wouldn't go as far as 'collector quality.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

...but wouldn't go as far as 'collector quality.

#18 10 years ago

Well, yeah I do see those things. I guess based on my own games for the most part they are issues I could live with. Heh, you should see my Cow Poke cab. I guess with a game this collectible it can get a little tricky. If it were mine I may be tempted to touch up the playfield and glass but I guess you can't go in half assed on a game of this caliber. I'd probably get scared and leave the play field alone until I could afford to have it professionally done. The glass looks to have it's damage limited to non-lit areas. It could be touched up fairly successfully I think. The cab sides wouldn't be visible in my personal line-up but certainly understand the desire for perfection on such a game.

Not that I don't appreciate "collector quality." but from my own perspective I'm more about the experience of owning such a great title rather than acquiring the nicest example in existence. Of course it's nice if you can have both but sometimes that opportunity isn't available. If you have been looking for one for years do you wait for an even nicer example or seize the day?
Alex

#19 10 years ago

Again, as I said before, this would make a great candidate for a full restoration. Alex you are right about the touch ups. I have done similar projects with good results. My point is, it's a great 'player's game' the way it is, but value-wise I have a hard time with people paying that much. How much would you pay for an unrestored/used classic car vs. a pristine one? Regardless of my opinion, this game is gonna go high simply because they are getting so hard to find.

#20 10 years ago

Being an Em guy I was a little dumbfounded when people started paying $6500 for MM 5-6 years ago. Look where that went. I'm not saying that craziness will happen with EM Joker Poker but it's been a popular title for years and as they say their not making any more of them. It's a little depressing getting priced out on some of these titles but it makes me appreciate the ones I have.
Alex

#21 10 years ago

Yep, gonna go for big money and the guy who is gonna get it hasn't even made a bid yet, you wait.

I say $2000.00+. It's in good overall shape and if I got it I could make it look real sweet, but not something I can afford right now.

Ken

#22 10 years ago

If that was in Australia I would pay 3K for that..love those rare late 70s Gottlieb EMs!

#23 10 years ago

I have one. Paid £460 for it just after Christmas. Mainly because I don't think people realised what it was. Mine is in great condition, looks like new.
I guess in reality you'd be paying $2000 for one.

#24 10 years ago

With 12 hours to go, the bidding is over $2000 but hasn't reached the sellers reserve price yet.

#25 10 years ago

I've seen a few SS Joker Poker games go for 2500-3200 in the past year. That's a lot more than they used to go for, as just a few years ago I saw them regularly in the 1000-1200 range. Most of the ones I've seen this year have at least been in nice shape. Perhaps that's due to more restoration parts being available now. I seller that's aware of the rarity of the EM version will probably think that one needing some work is equal to a SS version in nice shape. If I found an EM one that had a nice playfield, backglass, and cabinet, I'd probably go as much as 3500 (maybe even more). That's mainly just because I've never seen one that wasn't going to need more work than I had the time or skills to do on it. If the seller's reserve on that particular machine is over 2500, it's a no can do situation unless you have the skills to be able to restore the playfield yourself. That's not something that I've ever been comfortable with.

#26 10 years ago

Well... were at >2K as of now.. and yeah thats a really nice looking machine. Playfield is in my opinion excellent and very easy to fix. Question is.... do you clear coat it!

Looks to be quite good but I would want a pic of the inside of the backglass, the interior cabinet floor and the underside of the playfield maybe even inside back box... just to be sure. Not much of that stuff is game specific so either way really, but if its full of water damage from spilled stuff its just a little less desirable. But - nice game for sure. Looks pretty fun too.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Question is.... do you clear coat it!

I would just touch up and wax for the time being and should be good to go for years.

ken

#28 10 years ago

It just hit 3k! Who's still in?

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It just hit 3k! Who's still in?

I was out before it started.

Ken

#30 10 years ago

Feeling better by the hr about the ss Joker Poker I bought about 7 yrs ago.

Even though it is not as rare and valuable as the e-m version, I still like it, both artwork and gameplay.

Hope a Pinsider ends up getting it. I'm not bidding on it. Too much for me.

#31 10 years ago

Yea, I'll just wait for a Royal Flush or Card Whiz to come along at 1/3 of the price of this Joker Poker even though the JP is a tad better player.

Ken

#32 10 years ago

Does anybody know about one of these being bought or sold recently? I've always wanted one, but that much plus shipping for a less than mint example makes me not so sure.

#33 10 years ago

Sold! Almost $3.5k

#34 10 years ago

FYI: I have a HUO, collectors quality version of this game that I will sell. Everything is original and in exception order and condition. Yes, this is the EM version also and it's condition inside and out blows the eBay game away.

Serious buyers can write me privately and I will get pictures out to them. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks all,

Kim

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Sold! Almost $3.5k

Well, I guess it's time for the person who bought the JP to step forth and tell us all about their restoration plans.

Ken

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I have a HUO, collectors quality version of this game that I will sell

I'm not in the market for one but I'm thinking $5000.00 is your price?

Ken

#37 10 years ago

PM sent

#38 10 years ago

Oh man, you didn't get it O-din? Oh well I bet Kim's is super nice.
Alex

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Alex

I tried, but I knew there would be a nicer one out there, so I pulled back. I hope theres one in my future.

#40 10 years ago

Wow, $3,450 is some serious coin. Well done to Jimmyd044 for estimating $3K+ 6 days ago.

#41 10 years ago

I bet it cleans up REAL nice for someone.

#42 10 years ago

The winning bid?
I had a Gottlieb Target Pool as a teenager around 1975, so the machine was practically new...and sold it a few years after I got it. So I am particularly keen on the Target Pool.

Would I buy another Target Pool in the same shape as this JP for $3,450? Not today... but if I had some money to burn I might. If I had to choose between a really big screen TV for the same price or a TP I'd have a tough time deciding between the two.

#43 10 years ago

I used to pass thru Fullerton JC on the way home from High School where they had three tables, including an EM Joker Poker. I played that thing for hours on little money. I loved that game. I haven't played one since. I sure would like to.

#44 10 years ago

Wow. Mine is perfect inside & out. I guess it's worth £3K!

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Wow. Mine is perfect inside & out. I guess it's worth £3K!

If you sell it in USA

Saw this for sale and did know what it was, just didn't fancy it........but, maybe I am missing out on a great game? £460 was a good price though. I reads reviews and watched videos but not really sure why they are so popular?

Guess I need to play one!

#46 10 years ago

Kinda cool it went for so much. My favorite game in High School, the first pin I wanted when I got into Pinball, it will probably never leave my collection (SS).

4 weeks later
#47 10 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Alex

I just found the second chance e-mail from E-Bay. LOL

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

If you sell it in USA
Saw this for sale and did know what it was, just didn't fancy it........but, maybe I am missing out on a great game? £460 was a good price though. I reads reviews and watched videos but not really sure why they are so popular?
Guess I need to play one!

If you're in the UK (which I guess you are) come along to Swavesey next weekend. It'll be there raising cash for charity.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just found the second chance e-mail from E-Bay. LOL

I guess the guy that bought wasn't completely happy with it as it wasn't fully working. I think that was mentioned in the auction that it was a bit glitchy and needed shopping. Probably just a bit of buyers remorse.

More importantly how are you enjoying your beautiful JP?
Alex

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

If you're in the UK (which I guess you are) come along to Swavesey next weekend. It'll be there raising cash for charity.

Sounds awesome

Worth going just to play JP and great to raise money in this way.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fernie, BC
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-gottlieb-joker-poker-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.