Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-895.jpg
image-771.jpg
image-1409.jpg
image-818.jpg
image-685.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Was wondering price of restored, really nice (maybe CQ) Card Whiz from 1976. Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

Any ideas on EM prices, with regard to how much a really nice machine and/or restored machine would add to the price for a desired game? Such as Card Whiz....

Thanks!

#3 9 years ago

Card Wiz is a pretty good game. Fully restored and playing 100% it should be worth at least $1000.

#4 9 years ago

I have a chance at buying a restored, really nice one for $2k. Am I blinded by my love of Gottliebs from this era?

#5 9 years ago

I'm not an expert on EM pricing, but I can't imagine paying $2k for one. I paid $750 for my Card Whiz a couple years ago, and it was fully working, restored (not CQ, but really nice), minimal playfield wear that had already been touched up and clearcoated, new plastics, new drop targets, clean rubber, etc. In short, mine is really nice. My estimate would be pretty close to John's.

#6 9 years ago

Right around a grand is the right price point...

#7 9 years ago

Thanks guys....I know you are right....

It just kills me to see it available and it won't be for too long. Someone allegedly offered $1800....

I guess....sometimes....ya gotta walk away....

But can I????? Help!!

#8 9 years ago

Is it a top Gottlieb, like my Jack's Open? I imagine its just like it and that is my favorite genre lately, Gottliebs, mid-70's.

Does it play great?

#9 9 years ago

yes, it's a fun game to play...

however, unless it is basically perfect and truly restored* (in which case it is grossly overpriced), it is ridiculously overpriced...

* the "restore" word gets used too easily, imo... "restoring a machine" is a long road to travel, and the great majority of machines that are said to be "restored", aren't...

#10 9 years ago

Well thanks guys. I used your brilliant reasoning and got him down to $1500!

Still too much...but I'm addicted....

you get the rest....heading there at lunch. Pin looks immaculate and will look great next to Jack's Open!!

#11 9 years ago

-Card Whiz is an absolutely brilliant design. One of my all-time favorites.
-It will look amazing next to Jack's Open.
-It is still a few hundred too much.

I sympathize though man, sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants. Please make sure it is the best Card Whiz you have ever seen before making the plunge. You can get *almost* perfect ones for half that.

#12 9 years ago

I have a restored Bob Horton Card Whiz that won "Best 1970's EM" at the 2014 Texas Pinball Festival. I would not sell it for less than $1,500.

The amount of effort to get an EM to restored condition makes it difficult for non-EM collectors to recognize the market for higher priced EMs.

Quoted from TheShameGovernor:

I sympathize though man, sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants. Please make sure it is the best Card Whiz you have ever seen before making the plunge. You can get *almost* perfect ones for half that.

If ANYONE has a a near-perfect Card Whiz for $750 (50% of $1,500) in the continental USA, please let me know. I will buy one all day long! Even with shipping charges, it would be a great deal.

Marcus

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Well thanks guys. I used your brilliant reasoning and got him down to $1500!
Still too much...but I'm addicted....
you get the rest....heading there at lunch. Pin looks immaculate and will look great next to Jack's Open!!

The money will be long forgotten once you have a few hundred plays on your game.

Excellent addition to your collection!

Congrats!

Marcus

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

I have a restored Bob Horton Card Whiz that won "Best 1970's EM" at the 2014 Texas Pinball Festival. I would not sell it for less than $1,500.

And you shouldn't. True CQ games command true CQ prices. I don't doubt for a second that CQ EMs sell for that much or even way more (one just did, obviously), I just don't value 95% of the Card Whizes (sp?) out there at that price. I'd go 1200-1300 for a super nice one, but if someone really wants it - sure i can see them spending a couple more to get it. Hence why I told him to make sure it's nice enough to be worth it.

Quoted from Xerico:

The money will be long forgotten once you have a few hundred plays on your game.

Completely true. Card Whiz/Royal Flush is a great game. Ditto on the congrats.

Quoted from Xerico:

If ANYONE has a a near-perfect Card Whiz for $750 (50% of $1,500) in the continental USA, please let me know. I will buy one all day long! Even with shipping charges, it would be a great deal.

Sure, "near-perfect" is a bit subjective, so I should be careful throwing that around, but I bought an un-restored example in really beautiful condition (non-working) for $600 last December. Fixed it. Shopped it. Played the hell out of it. Sold it for $600. If I see another one come up around here - I'll send a PM your way. They're out there.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Is it a top Gottlieb, like my Jack's Open? I imagine its just like it and that is my favorite genre lately, Gottliebs, mid-70's.
Does it play great?

Not at all. I know I am in the minority here but the game is no where near as good as JO and is flat out boring in my opinion.

The Targets are all there standing to be hit. The bonus is awarded based on what combinations you have made. Once down, the Drops do not come back up. All that remains to do is bang away on the 3000 center target (or complete the 3 Jokers to light special). Niether of which has much "fun factor" for me as a home / free play game.

On Jacks Open, the targets are reset each time you complete the target combination (Pair, 3 of a Kind, Full House etc.). And at the final stage, only the Royal Flush Targets are left standing to shoot at (similar to the Horseshoe Target Feature of Fast/Quick Draw).

There is no doubt that when the game was being operated, it was one of the most popular ones ever made by Gottlieb. Lots of them made, lots of $$$ made by operators, lots left on location for many years and still plenty of them left to buy in all sorts of conditions. For, a crowd pleaser of "average skill" players, it is a great game. But probably not for the skilled player once properly restored (becomes too easy to down all the targets each ball).

A person in France did a conversion to the game to add Same Player Shoots again and reseting drop targets for the exact reasons I stated.

$1500-$2000 for a fully restored (extremely clean interior) with Perfect backglass is probably not out of line in these days of gotta-have-it collectors.

#16 9 years ago

Thanks guys. Pulled the trigger. True, it was probably too much but again, I'll likely have it a while. One thing about these classic EMs, it pays to just keep and play them since they don't sell for that much. And Jack's Open is the most "play just one more game" pin I've ever owned.

Here are pics of Card Whiz from the ad, not my house. It's not restored but it does seem in wonderful shape.

image-1409.jpgimage-1409.jpg image-818.jpgimage-818.jpg image-685.jpgimage-685.jpg image-771.jpgimage-771.jpg image-895.jpgimage-895.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-gottlieb-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.