GorBord4 (resized).png
GorBord3 (resized).png
GorBord2 (resized).png
gorgar board (resized).jpeg
GorgarBG (resized).jpg
GorgarPF (resized).jpg
Gorgar (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Saw an ad posted on Facebook. Guy has a working Gorgar for $1080 (down from his initial $1200). Seems like a good price, but the backglass is in pretty bad shape, and I think the backglass is a big part of Gorgar's appeal. I know you can still get replacement backglasses for $250 on Planetary. What do you guys think?

Its about a 4hr drive up the interstate for me to pickup, and this would be my first home pin. I'm just starting my collection and need a low-entry point. I'm thinking of offering the selller $900, for me to drive up and get the pin. $900 plus the $250 for the new BG, and we're at $1150 for a nice Gorgar with a new backglass. Does that sound reasonable?
Gorgar (resized).jpgGorgar (resized).jpgGorgarBG (resized).jpgGorgarBG (resized).jpgGorgarPF (resized).jpgGorgarPF (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

I would want to see pics of the boards and under the playfield before I made an offer and drove 4 hours.

#3 4 years ago

There's another one in Iowa, listed on craigslist (for maybe $1800 I think).
Sounds like it has a new board and is well maintained. Nice glass, too....

*Found it*

desmoines.craigslist.org link

#4 4 years ago

Yes, $900 is reasonable.

They made a metric shit-ton of Gorgar, so there will be another one around the corner if this doesn’t work out. A new backglass is a no brainer. Fun game!

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

There's another one in Iowa, listed on craigslist (for maybe $1800 I think).
Sounds like it has a new board and is well maintained. Nice glass, too....
*Found it*
desmoines.craigslist.org link

Yeah, similar distance from me, but I question whether it is $700 nicer.

Quoted from Sputnik:

I would want to see pics of the boards and under the playfield before I made an offer and drove 4 hours.

Maybe I'll message him and see if he'll take some pics for me. A lot of off-pinside sellers don't seem to love taking more pictures (too much trouble I guess?).

Quoted from Mudflaps:

Yes, $900 is reasonable.
They made a metric shit-ton of Gorgar, so there will be another one around the corner if this doesn’t work out. A new backglass is a no brainer. Fun game!

I'm not super-concerned with actually owning a Gorgar, but since it's an early SS with gameplay I like, and even more-importantly with digital sounds that are actually bearable. I figured it would make a nice low-entry first pin, plus it does have that "Gorgar Speaks!" cache.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Sputnik:

+1

I’d say more like $6-800 in this condition.

#7 4 years ago

I certainly don't want to spend someone else's money, but for a relatively small price difference, I'd likely select the one from Central Iowa. Once you factor in a new BG for the one you're currently looking at, the extra $300 may be money well spent. (Especially considering new boards and other items that may prove costly if they go soon)

Either way, best of luck!

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Yeah, similar distance from me, but I question whether it is $700 nicer.

It looks pretty clean. I'd at least send a polite email with a link to the Pinside Price Guide and maybe even a solid offer.

You never know...right?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

It looks pretty clean. I'd at least send a polite email with a link to the Pinside Price Guide and maybe even a solid offer.
You never know...right?

Thanks for the advice, I'll think it over. Right now I've sent a message to the $1080-seller asking for some pics of the circuit boards, and then based on his response, I'll go from there.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

You never know...right?

The seller has certainly seen the Pinside Price Guide.
http://members.toast.net/iowapinball/

Same price will get you a 1987 Party Animal from him.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

+1
I’d say more like $6-800 in this condition.

I really appreciate your input; however, I've been searching PS, CL, and FB for weeks, and I can't find any fully-working, SS pins for anywhere close to $800, let alone $600. I don't know if its price-inflation or what, but its been hard to find any SS pins, let alone fun ones, for a decent price.

#12 4 years ago

Gorgar was my first. Bought for 550$ about 10 years ago.

Nowadays it’s more around 1200 or so.

Fun game. Great heartbeat sounds and drop targets that are sweepable. Oh and the snake pit.

Just buy. Cool shit.

#13 4 years ago

This is what he sent me, he responded quick, but darn if it isn't a small image-file.
gorgar board (resized).jpeggorgar board (resized).jpeg

#14 4 years ago

He sent me a video in much better quality. I pulled some screens from it. They're still a bit blurry in stillframe, cuz he kinda panned around the whole time, but
gives a lot more story than that first pic. Boards look pretty clean to me, but I'm no expert on Gorgars or on this era machine.
GorBord2 (resized).pngGorBord2 (resized).pngGorBord3 (resized).pngGorBord3 (resized).pngGorBord4 (resized).pngGorBord4 (resized).png

#15 4 years ago

Nothing looks alarming in there.

#16 4 years ago

He put a fan in there! Interesting.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

He put a fan in there! Interesting.

Yeah, I did wonder about that. Must help cool the boards? Never heard of doing that before.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Yeah, I did wonder about that. Must help cool the boards? Never heard of doing that before.

Probably the bulbs too. Those are what cooked the glass.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Probably the bulbs too. Those are what cooked the glass.

Oh, so is LED'ing these old backglasses a good way to help reduce flaking? As blasphemous as that concept might be.

#20 4 years ago

Soft LEDs or softer incandescents. I don't remember what a Gorgar had but I know you can get a cooler running option without going LED.

#21 4 years ago

I have owned / restored a Gorgar great theme cool art but just a SS pin of that era is slow in game play.

Spend your money elsewhere. Get something more fun, spend a little more you will thank yourself later.

I got my Gorgar for way less and restored it. This is no where near $1k, I would maybe pay $500 with bad back glass.

#22 4 years ago

Around $600 would be where I'd value it. We had a nicer one sell around here for $675 a couple months back.

https://wisconsinpinball.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2077

#23 4 years ago

The prices we are stating clearly will offend the seller...no seller who thinks a machine is worth $1k would take $600 would be my guess.

There are better machines out there for a little more $$$

#24 4 years ago

I would go for a Jungle Lord or a Pharoah those can be picked up around $1200 and are way better than Gorgar.

#25 4 years ago

I think allot has to do with location. Near me if it was1080 it would have sold.
For early solid state it has a pretty deep rule set. Fast play, fun game for sure

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Around $600 would be where I'd value it. We had a nicer one sell around here for $675 a couple months back.
https://wisconsinpinball.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2077

Backglass aside, what else makes you think that one is nicer? Cabinet looks rough with damage/repainting, and its not 100% working. Playfields seem to be in similar good-condition.

Quoted from wamonkey:

I would go for a Jungle Lord or a Pharoah those can be picked up around $1200 and are way better than Gorgar.

Where can you find a Pharaoh for that kinda money? I've been searching ages and can't find any SS's that cheap. Like everyone says, location makes a big difference on price it seems. Only Pharaoh's I can find are kinda rough and listed for around $1700. Price guide has it closer to $2000

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I think allot has to do with location. Near me if it was1080 it would have sold.
For early solid state it has a pretty deep rule set. Fast play, fun game for sure

I've only played it on TPA, but it seemed decently fast to me. Maybe it depends how its setup, and how strong the flippers and bumpers are. Like a lot of games this era, every time I drain without hitting all my drops, I'm like "ahh, one more game! I almost had them all down!"

#28 4 years ago

Location is what a lot of Pinsiders don't seem to get.

A lot of places may only see 2-4 machines (of this era) pop up each year within a 500 mile radius. If ANY are priced the way a lot of Pinsiders epect them to be, they'd be snapped up in minutes not hours.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Location is what a lot of Pinsiders don't seem to get.
A lot of places may see 2-4 machines of this era a year pop up in a 500 mile radius. If ANY are priced the way a lot of Pinsiders epect them to be, they'd be snapped up in minutes not hours.

Yeah, I look at those poor pinsiders in the middle of Wyoming or Montana and all I can think is how hard it must be to find pins. I've at least got several medium-sized cities within 2 to 4 hours from me, so that helps. But I definitely don't see the quantity of machines that more urban areas see.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Soft LEDs or softer incandescents. I don't remember what a Gorgar had but I know you can get a cooler running option without going LED.

The #44 lamp can be replaced with #47 or #755. I use 755 in the back box's of my early SS game. Longer service life. The pics are not great, that being said I can't see battery damage on the mother board. Battery holder has been moved off the mother board.
In my area I would guess that machine $750-800. The question is do you want a Gorgar? For me Gorgar was a must have. It was just too cool the afternoon they unboxed it at the arcade when I was young.
I have driven further to buy a pinball machine.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Yeah, I look at those poor pinsiders in the middle of Wyoming or Montana and all I can think is how hard it must be to find pins.

Montana here.

It's not easy finding machines to play let alone to buy!

#32 4 years ago

After considering everyone's advice (thanks btw!), I'm gonna offer the guy $800. If he takes it, then I guess I've got a drive ahead of me this weekend. If not, then I'll wait it out and keep searching. Because while I like Gorgar, its not completely my ideal pin, and I don't think it will be a big hit with my wife and daughter. And I really do want to get pins that they will like too. I don't want my pinball hobby to just be a man-thing!

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Because while I like Gorgar, its not completely my ideal pin, and I don't think it will be a big hit with my wife and daughter.

Tough call.
Gorgar was the only machine anywhere near us growing up. My sister loved it as much as I did.

Years later, I met my (ex)wife and she grew up with one in her basement. She also loved it, but her older sister was scared to death of it!

Might be a good idea to take your ladies on a Pinball Safari to get an idea of what they like in a pinball machine?

...because you aren't gonna have just one for long!

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Because while I like Gorgar, its not completely my ideal pin, and I don't think it will be a big hit with my wife and daughter. And I really do want to get pins that they will like too.

This is the most important thing that you have said so far in this thread. If I felt this way, I would pass.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

This is the most important thing that you have said so far in this thread. If I felt this way, I would pass.

Yeah, I kinda view this pin as a stepping stone though, so I'm okay if its not the biggest hit with them. Start off with an early SS, like gorgar, before moving on to sys11's and dmd's. And if I do end up getting this pin, I'd be sure the next one was a better family pin. But we'll see, seller hasn't got back to me yet.

Quoted from guitarded:

Tough call.
Might be a good idea to take your ladies on a Pinball Safari to get an idea of what they like in a pinball machine?
...because you aren't gonna have just one for long!

We've been out many times. My wife really like TAF, and also Munsters, and Willy Wonka. She enjoyed the Stranger Things Virtual Pin too. My daughter, I'm not sure which has been her favorite yet. I'd love something like a Cyclone or a Mousin' Around for the family. I think they'd all like one of those.

#36 4 years ago

FOLLOWUP: Crickets from the seller since I offered him $800 . I was friendly and polite, and I told him no hard feelings either way, so a simple "No Thanks" would have been nice. He had no reason not show a bit of courtesy. Ah well, that's how it goes sometimes I guess.

#37 4 years ago

Hopefully he thinks on it and comes back to you at your price.

If not, keep on hunting for your machine. It's out there!

#38 4 years ago

Forget about the $250 backglass. Make the drive, pay $900, come home and play pinball. Don't get caught up in all that other stuff. Lets not make it more than it is with a players Gorgar.

#39 4 years ago

Just a quick update: Seller took down the Gorgar ad, so he musta sold it. Probably to someone a little closer I hope. No big deal though. Now I've got a line on a players Dr. Dude for $1500. And it looks like I'll only have to drive 3.5 hrs to get it instead of 4, so win win. Still not locked in yet, but I'm hopeful.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Just a quick update: Seller took down the Gorgar ad, so he musta sold it. Probably to someone a little closer I hope. No big deal though. Now I've got a line on a players Dr. Dude for $1500. And it looks like I'll only have to drive 3.5 hrs to get it instead of 4, so win win. Still not locked in yet, but I'm hopeful.

Looks like you will come out ahead. Better, newer, rarer game...and a greater value on the price.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-gorgar-1?hl=wamonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.