Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by bsnelson
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150114_225817.jpg
    springtime 4.jpg
    springtime 3.jpg
    springtime 2.jpg
    springtime 5.jpg
    FullSizeRender (33).jpg
    _burnt-toast-article-cancer-from-grilled-food.jpg
    $_35.JPG
    20150112_222113-1.jpg
    P1080032.JPG
    005.JPG
    004.JPG
    003.JPG
    002.JPG
    001.JPG
    There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

We Pinsiders commonly expect the average EM to be priced in the mid-$$$ triple digit range... with all of the "average" problems: Average flaky backglass, average cupped inserts, average playfield wear, average chipped/scratched/faded cabinet, average condition of playfield parts, average mechanical issues, yada yada. But a full restoration is a different story.

Let's start with an average $500 EM and add $350 shipping. Then, let's do the following...

NOS/repro backglass: $250
    full playfield resto and clear coat: $750
    new playfield parts/rubbers: $100
    plastic set: $150
    refurbish mechs/new lamp sockets/sleeves/etc: $100
    cabinet work (not always req'd): $200
    repaint: do it myself $75 in materials max
    legs: $50
    misc: $25

Which is in the neighborhood of $2500 and many hours work. My my, that added up fast, didn't it?

It would be possible to dramatically cut costs by doing my own PF restos/clear coat, backglasses, and buying local instead of paying for shipping. But until then... I don't see any shortcuts. It costs what it costs, eh?

Does it really seem all that crazy to pay at least $2k for a pristine restored EM? Seems pretty much right on the money to me... and that's for any ol' game. The Slick Chicks and King of Diamonds of the scene would undoubtedly fetch more.

#2 9 years ago

Doesn't seem crazy at all... if I didn't do my own work, I'd gladly pay that kind of $$ for a restored EM. Obviously the high majority of folks on this forum do at least some restoration work, very few on here would pay that price... the fun is in learning/doing it yourself and saving $$$.

#3 9 years ago

Wow do I wish I could pick up an EM in the $$$s! I know others disagree but I reckon EM wise this is a relatively inexpensive hobby so I am prepared, within sensible reason, to pay what it takes to get the game I want. But I think on your figures the pf $750 & cab $200 are too high. I also would never clearcoat an EM pf and I to date I have always been able to recover the legs. For me if you can get out of it for $1k-$1.5k all up that's ok.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Does it really seem all that crazy to pay at least $2k for a pristine restored EM?

If I was to pay 2k or up I would want a pristine un-restored EM.
    Edit- maybe a few touch-ups, gone through, cleaned, polished and shipped by Pilot.

#5 9 years ago

... or, find an above average original, rebuild it, clean and detail it, skip the over the top stuff (clear coating and repaints) and save tons of money, but still have a very nice and playable game. They're only original once, and a lot can be coaxed out of nicer ones.

Dropping $2K on a $500 game doesn't always make a $2500 (or more) game either (or even $2000, or $1500). The $2K would be better spent on a very nice original. Or two.

(yeah, I'm in that other camp... )

#6 9 years ago

nope, doesn't sound crazy to me... to bring one back to pristine condition is expensive and time consuming...

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

nope, doesn't sound crazy to me... to bring one back to pristine condition is expensive and time consuming...

Yes expensive and unfortunately the current market does not support those prices. Or should I say there are a limited amount of individuals who will pay that type of money for a fully restored game.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

(yeah, I'm in that other camp... )

+1

#9 9 years ago

How much for one converted to SS

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

... or, find an above average original, rebuild it, clean and detail it, skip the over the top stuff (clear coating and repaints) and save tons of money, but still have a very nice and playable game. They're only original once, and a lot can be coaxed out of nicer ones.
    This is where I am as well . For the most parts these game are not rare . To find one that is in great original condition is the secret to success . They all are going to need a little tlc . I would rather pay a little more for a game with a nice playfield and original paint on the cab. The aspect of it being a collector`s item is a little lost to me on a total full blown resto ........but I see both sides.

#11 9 years ago

My problem is not with truly restored pins commanding the high prices they deserve, just so called restorers charging high prices for crap work on what they say was restored machines that should be priced 1/3 of what they want. Just my 2 cents from a couple of personal experiences.

Ken

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from g43crazy:

The aspect of it being a collector`s item is a little lost to me on a total full blown resto ........but I see both sides.

Me too. Countless hours spent watching Pawn Stars taught me how "original patina" can be worth far more than shiny and new. Particularly with guns. Shined up, they lose almost all value.

Pins aren't quite the same though, because there's just something special about flipping a huge glorious sparkling shiny machine standing in front of you. Cupped inserts bother the hell out of me. As do flaky backglasses, dim lamp sockets, damaged PF's, and weak/underpowered mechs.

Once you begin to revive an old machine, where do you stop? If the plastics and bumper caps and other decorative elements get replaced, it makes the surrounding stuff look worn. So I do those. Then the trim. Then the cab. And then... well... might as well go all the way. Can't leave it half-done!

And thus, how I got sucked into the gravitational pull of the Minty Pinball Singularity...

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

My problem is not with truly restored pins commanding the high prices they deserve, just so called restorers charging high prices for crap work on what they say was restored machines that should be priced 1/3 of what they want. Just my 2 cents from a couple of personal experiences.
    Ken

Right on. Fully restored is a labor of love, done right. Start to finish. Nothing less!

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

And thus, how I got sucked into the gravitational pull of the Minty Pinball Singularity...

Welcome to the club. You know how ungodly annoying it's going to be to have the Crescendo playfield looking all nice and custom flourescent color highlighted and cleard and then...

Plastics held together by grey epoxy. Yay.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

We Pinsiders commonly expect the average EM to be priced in the mid-$$$ triple digit range... with all of the "average" problems: Average flaky backglass, average cupped inserts, average playfield wear, average chipped/scratched/faded cabinet, average condition of playfield parts, average mechanical issues, yada yada. But a full restoration is a different story.
    Let's start with an average $500 EM and add $350 shipping. Then, let's do the following...
    NOS/repro backglass: $250
    full playfield resto and clear coat: $750
    new playfield parts/rubbers: $100
    plastic set: $150
    refurbish mechs/new lamp sockets/sleeves/etc: $100
    cabinet work (not always req'd): $200
    repaint: do it myself $75 in materials max
    legs: $50
    misc: $25
    Which is in the neighborhood of $2500 and many hours work. My my, that added up fast, didn't it?
    It would be possible to dramatically cut costs by doing my own PF restos/clear coat, backglasses, and buying local instead of paying for shipping. But until then... I don't see any shortcuts. It costs what it costs, eh?
    Does it really seem all that crazy to pay at least $2k for a pristine restored EM? Seems pretty much right on the money to me... and that's for any ol' game. The Slick Chicks and King of Diamonds of the scene would undoubtedly fetch more.

you can easlily throw that much money into an EM, but you better to expect to be upside-down on it. Putting money into does not make it worth the cost of the work.

#16 9 years ago

NOT crazy to me at all, infact, I would add on at least $500 more for some titles, that are truly minty. You forgot to also add in new coin door, new coin entry plate, new plunger and other chrome stuff and a cabinet repaint done the CORRECT way.

I used to think that way myself about NOT clearcoating a EM playfield ... but once I got my 1st playfield repainted and then clearcoated, it was BEAUTIFUL!!! No wear anywhere and no more worries with it ... EVER ... Plus, it plays a lot better. NO more balls changing direction because of cupped inserts and other playfield problems.

I will post before and after pictures of my COW POKE and other EM's someday. Again, everybody has there own opinions and preferences, but don't knock a clearcoated EM playfield until you tried one ... of course that pin still has to be set up and working 100% correctly with rebuilt flippers, rebuilt pop bumpers and everything adjusted correctly, because if it is NOT, that is usually why people don't like EM's or won't ever give them a chance play wise, because they play so slow and sluggish. If they are tuned just right, there is NOTHING better than a classic EM.

Dan

#17 9 years ago

Oh, he has tried one...his Doozie was pretty awesome.

#18 9 years ago

Don't forget many EM collectors do not want ANY touch ups on their games.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Oh, he has tried one...his Doozie was pretty awesome.

Actually I didn't have that one cleared. Just a good cleaning, wax, and new inserts w/decals coated with clear. Agreed it plays nice and snappy after going through all the mechs.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Don't forget many EM collectors do not want ANY touch ups on their games.

That's it man, I'm putting in phillips screws in all my Gottliebs!

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

LOL I have thought of doing the same many times.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Actually I didn't have that one cleared. Just a good cleaning, wax, and new inserts w/decals coated with clear. Agreed it plays nice and snappy now.

Oh.

/face_wtf lol

#23 9 years ago

Vid's hoarding all those NIB EM's that are yet to have any touch-ups.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I always do.

Standard screw heads are too slow and too much risk of slippage.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from DB62:

NOT crazy to me at all, infact, I would add on at least $500 more for some titles, that are truly minty. You forgot to also add in new coin door, new coin entry plate, new plunger and other chrome stuff and a cabinet repaint done the CORRECT way.
    I used to think that way myself about NOT clearcoating a EM playfield ... but once I got my 1st playfield repainted and then clearcoated, it was BEAUTIFUL!!! No wear anywhere and no more worries with it ... EVER ... Plus, it plays a lot better. NO more balls changing direction because of cupped inserts and other playfield problems.
    I will post before and after pictures of my COW POKE and other EM's someday. Again, everybody has there own opinions and preferences, but don't knock a clearcoated EM playfield until you tried one ... of course that pin still has to be set up and working 100% correctly with rebuilt flippers, rebuilt pop bumpers and everything adjusted correctly, because if it is NOT, that is usually why people don't like EM's or won't ever give them a chance play wise, because they play so slow and sluggish. If they are tuned just right, there is NOTHING better than a classic EM.
    Dan

Funny coincidence there... the first minty clearcoated EM I had ever seen was a Cow Poke at the 2013 Houston Arcade Expo. Won best in show, played beautifully, and every inch looked absolutely incredible.

I think that's what set things in motion. Agreed that classic EM's have the magic.

#26 9 years ago

I might be in the minority of this thread, but I wouldn't pay 2500 for any EM games. Part of the charm of an EM game is how much value it provides. Crazy good value, and so much fun that can be bought inexpensively. I will grant you that it may be because so few people desire them, but when they are in the 2500 range, I want something more.

There is nothing like a well sorted EM. But gives it to me in original shape with 40 years of history. Get it playing well, and set me lose on it. It's going to be a fun night!

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Quoted from NicoVolta:

LOL I have thought of doing the same many times.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I might be in the minority of this thread, but I wouldn't pay 2500 for any EM games. Part of the charm of an EM game is how much value it provides. Crazy good value, and so much fun that can be bought inexpensively. I will grant you that it may be because so few people desire them, but when they are in the 2500 range, I want something more.
    There is nothing like a well sorted EM. But gives it to me in original shape with 40 years of history. Get it playing well, and set me lose on it. It's going to be a fun night!

So I guess I should have left my pitch & bat in its ORIGINAL condition, instead of RESTORING it??? I know its not a EM pinball, but I have these pics handy on my computer, so that's why I used them ... but same principle here.
    001.JPG001.JPG002.JPG002.JPG003.JPG003.JPG004.JPG004.JPG005.JPG005.JPG

#29 9 years ago

Oooops, I used the unfinished bleacher picture ... here is the completely finshed pic.

P1080032.JPGP1080032.JPG
    #30 9 years ago
    Quoted from DB62:

So I guess I should have left my pitch & bat in its ORIGINAL condition, instead of RESTORING it??? I know its not a EM pinball, but I have these pics handy on my computer, so that's why I used them ... but same principle here.

Wow very nice pics! Truly gorgeous work. But I think the numbers also support what Dave is saying... you can pick up a dozen working player machines which work reasonably well with a little tinkering for the cost of maybe two or three fully restored beauties.

Same as it ever was: Quality vs. quantity. Both have their joys. But if you can afford to have quality AND quantity... everyone will secretly hate you. hahaha

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from DB62:

Oooops, I used the unfinished bleacher picture ... here is the completely finshed pic.

P1080032.JPG 247 KB

Gee... I wonder how often that "super homer" target gets hit? Must be pretty satisfying when it does!

#32 9 years ago

Thank you. I have only hit it ONCE ... and I almost peed myself!

#33 9 years ago

I don't know if you had it cleared or not, but Flipper Fair is still my favorite of your restorations.

#34 9 years ago

Okay I will put in my 2 cents. I have a Central Park. I paid 900 for it and I was told it is worth 700 as it sits. 9 backglass and 9+ playfield.

I have 500-600 worth or parts from PBR.
    500 for a cabinet repaint.

So I am in 2000 dollars for a game that is worth 1500-1600 decked out.

I didn't have to ship it so I saved 400. I will most likely never sell it and if I do and lose 400 dollars...*shrug* oh well. It is not like I paid 5500 for a Stern Pro NIB and 2 years later sell it for 3000-3200. I didn't lose 2k by opening a box.

Don't clear a EM. Don't clear and EM...They play like garbage when you do so. (IMHO) To each their own.

#35 9 years ago

Rat

Just curious why you think a clearcoated EM plays like garbage. I think they play ALOT better ... everyone has there own likes and dislikes ... I just want to know your reasons.

#36 9 years ago

They play too fast and slide around like a bowling alley. Over the top and not meant to be played that way.

#37 9 years ago

At least Rat keeps track of what he spends on them.

One of my EMs has been cleared and I agree with Rat. It is my Bon Voyage so it kind of fits. A fast, slick game. On any of my older vintage games it wouldn't be right.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Crescendo playfield looking all nice and custom flourescent color highlighted

Just curious, are you going to put that under a blacklight? I had the same thought, but for a custom pin I want to do some day.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

They play too fast and slide around like a bowling alley. Over the top and not meant to be played that way.

They also weren't made to play slow and with cupped inserts making the ball react like magnets are all over the place. You have to figure that all cleared EMs have all new parts and all new coil sleeves. Also they are probably hi-tapped. Hi-tapping is definitely not needed. Anyway, even a non-cleared machine plays really fast with a coat of wax and everything under the playfield hopped up.

#40 9 years ago

That's fine ... maybe it depends on how many coats of clear your playfield had put on it. My EM's play SLIGHTY faster and again, the ball does NOT change directions by cupped inserts or other playfield problems. Everybody likes things different ... no worries

#41 9 years ago

Hey O-din next time I am out there we can spread some crisco on all your EM playfields, load them with orange dot coils and put them at 5%.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Just curious, are you going to put that under a blacklight? I had the same thought, but for a custom pin I want to do some day.

I hadn't thought of that, lemme go take a picture and I'll show you why we're going the hot pink awesome flower route. Now that you've said something Frax is all brainstorming, though..

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

They also weren't made to play slow and with cupped inserts making the ball react like magnets are all over the place. You have to figure that all cleared EMs have all new parts and all new coil sleeves. Also they are probably hi-tapped. Hi-tapping is definitely not needed. Anyway, even a non-cleared machine plays really fast with a coat of wax and everything under the playfield hopped up.

You lightly fill the inserts with something non slick sand it down and wax over it. I am not against filling inserts to level them off if done right.

#44 9 years ago

Can't you fix cupped inserts without clearcoating? Or would that just look bad?

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

I hadn't thought of that, lemme go take a picture and I'll show you why we're going the hot pink awesome flower route. Now that you've said something Frax is all brainstorming, though..

I love my blacklight gameroom. I wish I had the nerve to do fluorescent highlighting on my Time Fantasy's playfield.

#46 9 years ago

20150112_222113-1.jpg20150112_222113-1.jpg

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

You lightly fill the inserts with something non slick sand it down and wax over it. I am not against filling inserts to level them off if done right.

I am interested in this method. What do you fill them with, because every attempt at this I have seen looks bad and is not smooth.

I don't currently have any cleared EMs by the way, though I do have a Quick Draw playfield from Wade that went to Kruzman for a minimum thickness clear. My current QD plays fast as hell and is not cleared.

#48 9 years ago

It's not that all games should be preserved as untouched, original. Average games, in average to below average condition make great candidates to go all out on. Better titles, in lesser condition especially; lesser titles, in lesser condition - probably not worth it.

But it's the true survivor games, those time capsules that are in above to well above average condition that are better left alone (cleaned up, tuned up, rebuilt - yes, but left original where feasible, not counting consumables and other fine print). The tragedy is when these get the full treatment, and the opportunity to leave them as nice survivors is lost. Once restored, they can be restored a dozen times over. But there's no going back from the non-reversible stuff like repaints and clears.

It boils down to a judgment call, but as the population of truly nice originals dwindles, the premiums tend to get placed there (at least among most collectibles and antiques, in the long run).

[I'm OK with all the Bally/Williams/ChiCoin/United/Genco stuff getting restored though. Have at it.]

#49 9 years ago

Ask Pinhead52...I saw his insert leveling on a Atlantis and I was "wowed" by it.

#50 9 years ago

I hate posting from the phone. What I circled is where the maroony color has faded .. only instead of fading out, it's become this awesome fluorescent orangey pink shade. All of this started with my desire to paint the maroon flowers and the words 'flower power' that shade, and now that we've got the airbrush and the frisket we've decided we might as well do it right and redo the majority of the playfield (there's some mild planking up higher, and there's a large discolored area down by the flippers). It's my game. The backglass is all but perfect - like 9.7/10 perfect. We bought it because the backglass was so nice. Might as well go all the way and make it nice all over.

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-for-minty-ems/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.