Price Check - Exceptionally Nice Road Kings

By pin-happy

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

What would you guys say the price point should be on a very nice Road Kings? Machine is cosmetically well above average - I would say collectors quality from other hobbies I have been involved in. I am fairly new to the pinball scene and am considering this and a couple other machines I know about that are, or will be, for sale.

Machine is working but unshopped according to the seller. He also sad something about batteries are removed but and it has an NVRAM or MVROM or something to replace the batteries. I thought these machines ran off regular electric what is the battery about?

Since I am a relatively small female I would need to have it delivered & set up. What is a fair price to pay for that service? Seller said he would do that but had to charge additional beyond the price of the machine.

#2 7 years ago

The batteries are to maintain memory when the game if off, similar to a regular desktop computer. Because most games used regular AA batteries, they are often replaced or moved off of the boards to prevent damage from leaking. As far as price, there are good references online. PINSIDE will list an average price for each game. I feel that the Boston pinball eBay sales summary is a good reference. Much of it is going to be driven by the collector buying the game. My personal price for that game would be low because its not a game that I would like to own.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from pin-happy:

What would you guys say the price point should be on a very nice Road Kings? Machine is cosmetically well above average - I would say collectors quality from other hobbies I have been involved in. I am fairly new to the pinball scene and am considering this and a couple other machines I know about that are, or will be, for sale.
Machine is working but unshopped according to the seller. He also sad something about batteries are removed but and it has an NVRAM or MVROM or something to replace the batteries. I thought these machines ran off regular electric what is the battery about?
Since I am a relatively small female I would need to have it delivered & set up. What is a fair price to pay for that service? Seller said he would do that but had to charge additional beyond the price of the machine.

500-700 for a road kings. Very hard to resell this machine.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from pin-happy:

What is the seller asking?

#5 7 years ago

NVRAM is a great update. No more nasty batteries. Did the board have any leaky battery damage before the NVRAM update?
If this is truly a collectors grade (or near that) Road Kings, it would have to be worth 1000-1200 anyway.

#6 7 years ago

Responding to your questions from the other thread to avoid bumping the not-yet-for-sale thread.
You asked about the value of Road Kings and Rescue 911. If you click GAMES at the top of the page you're taken to a page where you can type in a game name. You'll see the estimated value. Road Kings is $1000, Rescue 911 is $1200
Condition is key. Those values (like any others) are one data point. Playfield art worn to the wood is hard to fix. Some ramps and plastics are impossible to find. Check for broken plastic parts above and below the playfield.

Shopping a game is a general term. Means anything from I wiped down the glass to I disassembled everything on the playfield and thoroughly cleaned it. If you pay for it, find out exactly what you're paying for. You can usually replace rubber on your own but some disassembly is often required.

Delivery and setup I would say $100-$200. Stairs? Second floor? Who covers scratches on your walls? All things you need to discuss with a delivery person.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from pin-happy:

Machine is cosmetically well above average - I would say collectors quality from other hobbies I have been involved in.

In this hobby, collector's quality usually means mint condition and better than new. An 11 out of 10.

Average condition is...well...average. Probably some wear & tear, dings & scratches, minor paint loss, and other signs of use.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from pin-happy:

Collectors quality, But unshopped Hmmm

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Responding to your questions from the other thread to avoid bumping the not-yet-for-sale thread.
You asked about the value of Road Kings and Rescue 911. If you click GAMES at the top of the page you're taken to a page where you can type in a game name. You'll see the estimated value. Road Kings is $1000, Rescue 911 is $1200
Condition is key. Those values (like any others) are one data point. Playfield art worn to the wood is hard to fix. Some ramps and plastics are impossible to find. Check for broken plastic parts above and below the playfield.
Shopping a game is a general term. Means anything from I wiped down the glass to I disassembled everything on the playfield and thoroughly cleaned it. If you pay for it, find out exactly what you're paying for. You can usually replace rubber on your own but some disassembly is often required.
Delivery and setup I would say $100-$200. Stairs? Second floor? Who covers scratches on your walls? All things you need to discuss with a delivery person.

More like
Estimated value
Road kings

$920 - $1080

#10 7 years ago

Your OP doesn't say what area of the country you are from but I will have a very nice Road Kings for sale in Central PA later this week. It is in exceptionally nice condition and should be a 100% working machine before we actually have it listed for sale. I will not know the exact price point until Thursday sometime but I know it will be sold for under $1000 if you have any interest and are close enough for it to make sense. I do not currently have any interest in shipping machines but that sounds out of the question in your case anyway. If nothing else I figured this would give you a good current base line price (as far as max price that is logical for that title).

#11 7 years ago

Road Kings was my first pinball into the hobby. I paid $500 for it and it was in really good shape. It is a very good game as your first. Joey (breakingdad on Pinside) had his first game as Road Kings and he still has it. I ended up moving mine along to make space for other games. My son misses it and asks about it all the time. The attract mode callouts are great. Catchy tune as soundtrack. If I found a collector quality one again, I would definitely pick it up. I would pay around $700-$900 for one. As a single game, it will only whet your appetite for more pinballs. Go for it for $700 and you will be able to break even. When you go to resell, it may take awhile at anything higher. Good luck and keep us posted!

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Your OP doesn't say what area of the country you are from but I will have a very nice Road Kings for sale in Central PA later this week. It is in exceptionally nice condition and should be a 100% working machine before we actually have it listed for sale. I will not know the exact price point until Thursday sometime but I know it will be sold for under $1000 if you have any interest and are close enough for it to make sense. I do not currently have any interest in shipping machines but that sounds out of the question in your case anyway. If nothing else I figured this would give you a good current base line price (as far as max price that is logical for that title).

If I still lived in Pa, you would have this sold already and I'd have my trip plans to come pick it up set. Can't wait to see some pics!!!

#13 7 years ago

One other interesting note....Road Kings was the last Williams game with that 4 pop bumper setup in that pattern

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-exceptionally-nice-road-kings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.