Price Check: EM Gottlieb Target Alpha

By goldenboy232

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I live in the Seattle area and I'm considering buying a EM Gottlieb Target Alpha (1976) from a seller that's about an 11 hour drive from me. This is one of my favorite EM games, so the drive is worth it to me. He's asking $800 and the machine appears to be in good working order from what I can tell from photos -- also the playfield looks great as does the cabinet, and the backglass has a bit of flaking over the "Target Alpha" logo itself, but the rest looks very clean and good color. I'm going to talk to him soon to get more details, but assuming no major issues, does $800 sound right? I'm hoping to negotiate a bit since I'm driving so far, just to offset some of my gas and a motel room for the night.

Thoughts?

#2 9 years ago

800 is probably on the high end, especially with the backglass flaking. Plus, that's a long drive for a game in potentially unknown condition. I would make sure you know who you're buying from, i.e. working doesn't just mean "score motor spinning with some lights on."

#3 9 years ago

ta's sit at prices less than that one for a long time around here, and "around here" there is strong "competition" for machines... they also seem to sit for awhile in other places as well...

unless the seller was known by me, before i drove 22 hours for it, i'd want really detailed pics (don't forget to ask for a pic of the back of the bg), as well as a video of it playing through all 4 players to the end of the game...

personally, i'd wait for a closer one, they are pretty common... seems like there are always a few available...

imo/ymmv/etc.

edit: for what gas, motel room, food, etc. is going to cost you, you could almost ship one...

#4 9 years ago

I agree that its a little too expensive and way too far to be worth it. I bought my old target alpha for 600ish and couldnt sell it on pinside for what I had into it. Had a few people interested but they all backed out. It finally sold to a local guy who had been looking for one.

That said, I would buy one for 600 with a nice backglass in a heartbeat. 800+11hr drive it more than I would be willing to invest personally.

#5 9 years ago

Just FYI - reproduction backglasses are available if you decide to get the game.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks guys, and you're helping me see this may not be worth it. I'm going to talk to the guy and ask for much more detailed pics than what he's posted on CL (BTW, if you want to see it and give me your opinion, it's on the East Idaho Craigslist in Pocatello Idaho). If I were to try to arrange shipping (assuming I can negotiate a price I want), how would you recommend doing that? Just search for shipping companies in that area? Thanks guys!

#7 9 years ago

michelle bianchi at precision transport (navl)... her number is floating around somewhere... do a search on "bianchi", it'll come up...

i wouldn't ship that one though... you can likely find a nicer one for 800 if you are willing to pay another 400 (or so) to ship...

3 weeks later
#8 9 years ago

So I've found another TA owner who is coming to within an hour of me (he also lives about 12 hours away) in a few weeks to visit family and is willing to do the sale once he's here. His price is also better ($450), so I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. The physical condition of his game (playfield, cabinet and glass) are as good if not better than the other one (I'd say they're all in "good" condition), and although it does need some mechanical work, it's all fixable.

So, I'm optimistic that in three weeks I'll land a very nice TA for $450 and then may spend a couple hundred on repairs. Stay tuned and fingers crossed!

#9 9 years ago

Good luck goldenboy! Let me know how it turns out.

#10 9 years ago

It looks like he and I have a deal. The machine's really clean (I'll email you some pics) and does have some minor mechanical issues, but it's all fixable, plus the price is right!

#11 9 years ago

For $800.00 it ought to be Extremely nice inside and out.

I bought mine local for $350.00 3 years ago, needed to be shopped, back glass is very good too.

The cost to drive there and back 40 cents a mile to operate you car/truck= about $450.00. + motel + food + ect. AND 2 days of your time.

Get a video of it playing, power on, reset, and play all 4 players.

Production run was 7285. You should be able to get one closer to home.

Would you consider:
Solar City 2-player version,
Eldorado 1-player replay,
Gold Strike 1-player add a ball,

Same playfield, with minor rule changes, and different artwork.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

For $800.00 it ought to be Extremely nice inside and out.
I bought mine local for $350.00 3 years ago, needed to be shopped, back glass is very good too.
The cost to drive there and back 40 cents a mile to operate you car/truck= about $450.00. + motel + food + ect. AND 2 days of your time.
Get a video of it playing, power on, reset, and play all 4 players.
Production run was 7285. You should be able to get one closer to home.
Would you consider:
Solar City 2-player version,
Eldorado 1-player replay,
Gold Strike 1-player add a ball,
Same playfield, with minor rule changes, and different artwork.

Yeah I'm getting this one for $450 and he's driving it to me. Not sure if you read the whole thread. Machine's in very good condition.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-em-gottlieb-target-alpha and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.