Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by maddog14
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I know someone with a Twilight Zone machine in need of repair. He doesn't want to deal with fixing it himself, and he doesn't want to pay a professional to fix it. He's potentially interested in selling it to me, but I have no idea of how much a machine like this is worth. All of the machines I see listed online for sale are in fully working condition.

The reset problem has gotten worse with time, which I guess is pretty standard. It didn't happen at all for a few years, but has since progressed to the point that it will reset shortly after the firs ball is launched.

I played the machine before the reset issue, and it played pretty well. There were some issues with it not correctly recognizing if a ball was a powerball some times. It would also sometimes fail to divert a ball going around the right loop to the gumball machine when it should, or would divert a ball there when it shouldn't.

Condition:
-Most of the paint is in good shape. There's some damage to the art on the side of the back box.
-The playfield glass is scratched badly in a few places and would need to be replaced for a restoration. The back glass is in good shape.
-The playfield is filthy but otherwise looks to be in good shape. I noticed some damage around one of the switches sticking up near the rocket ship. I could try to get some pictures if you guys want.
-Several of the lights are out. I'm assuming they're just burned out and there's not a larger issue.
-I think all of the pixels work on the display.
-The sound is good.

If I bought the machine I would be repairing it myself, or at least trying to diagnose myself and then mailing the bad boards out to a professional. I'm not too scared by the power issue. I don't have much experience with pinball machines, but I have a fair amount with general electronics diagnostics and repair.

Would would you guys to willing to pay for a machine like this?

#2 2 years ago

Sounds like the machine needs a shop job and the reset issue cld b a easy fix or cost 100.00 to send the board out (last resort). Depending on cab fade/condition and playfield id guess 4750-5k wld be a fair offer since it needs lots of tlc.

#3 2 years ago

You can buy a nice TZ for $5k. If the playfield is dirty it's an indication the owner doesn't take care of the machine so other more serious flaws may also be present. Are the ramps or subways broken? Those could be in the $100 range to replace. Alkaline damage on the board? Another couple hundred. Powerfield mini playfield broken? Another couple hundred. Cabinet art faded? New decals $2-300.
Lamps not working worst case is alkaline damage on the board but much more likely to be a simple fix. Tearing everything down for cleaning will take many hours, how much do you value your time?
I think $3500 range is fair for all the risk you're taking. Lots of unknowns. Shopping a neglected TZ will take you more than a weekend if you're a first timer.

P.S. bigd, what is with your lack of vowels? Are they in short supply where you are? I notice you often leave them out of should, could, would and was just curious.

#4 2 years ago

#5 2 years ago

Pfff.
3k would be an absolute steal...closer to 5k...have you guys tried to buy a TZ lately?

#7 2 years ago

4500 if the playfield is decent. The fixes are all easy and the rocket switch is a normal wear spot.

#8 2 years ago

I'd pay $4k. Bought one this time last year in similar condition for the same price. Of course, I'd sell it for $5k

#9 2 years ago

Resets are fairly common and lots of info on how to fix it on this era. Playfield, boards and cab are king. If little to no wear, easily $4500-$5k. Make him an offer of $4k if everything checks out(no acid damage etc) and you might score a sweet deal.

#10 2 years ago

Around here, this would sell rather quickly at 5k. You can purchase a WPC power fix daughterboard from http://kahr.us to "fix" the reset issue. It's a workaround, but a great solution for someone who doesn't have the skills to fix it properly.

#11 2 years ago

A nice player's TZ it is about a $6K machine. The problems are:
- resetting: New Rottendog power board with shipping around $325
- not detecting powerball. Problems with proximity sensor. Cleaning and proper aiming of the sensor might help. Also check connections.
- new glass is about $70 at a mirror shop.
- machine dirty and poorly maintained with potentially a lot of time involved cleaning and fixing little issue.
- if possible, run switch test to see what other problems shows up.
From what you describe I would offer $4K and see where that leads you. Definitely no more that $5K.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

A nice player's TZ it is about a $6K machine. The problems are:
- resetting: New Rottendog power board with shipping around $325

Right. Or you can spend $2 and about 30 minutes replacing the bridge rectifiers.

Has this place just completely given up on the idea of doing work on machines?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Right. Or you can spend $2 and about 30 minutes replacing the bridge rectifiers.

When I have a pin that resets, I normally go right past the board and just replace the entire machine.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Then you still have a 25 year old board with largely 25 year old components on it. As with most things, electrical components are not like fine wine, they don't get better with age. Besides, electrical engineering has come long ways in the past 25 years.
But yes, in most cases a new rectifier and capacitors would fix the problem.

#15 2 years ago

The upper playfield works great - with the caveat that the balls will get stuck on the right side instead of draining down. I'm assuming that's not too hard of a fix.

Also all of the rubber is pretty worn and should be replaced. I don't know if that would help up there, or if it's just a leveling issue.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from opensourcepirate:

The upper playfield works great - with the caveat that the balls will get stuck on the right side instead of draining down. I'm assuming that's not too hard of a fix.
Also all of the rubber is pretty worn and should be replaced. I don't know if that would help up there, or if it's just a leveling issue.

Game is gonna need a shop job . Post some pics but the game sounds good overall and with what tz"s have been selling for latley , if u can get it for 4500-5 (Depending on pics of overall condition) that wld be a ok deal these days lol..

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

Then you still have a 25 year old board with largely 25 year old components on it. As with most things, electrical components are not like fine wine, they don't get better with age. Besides, electrical engineering has come long ways in the past 25 years.

Ive had better luck with older boards than the new ones lol...

#18 2 years ago

$4000-$4500 sounds about right depending on how bad the head & playfield wear is..

#19 2 years ago

From what you described $5,000. This assumes the playfield is in good condition (ie. just dirty). Anything below that just makes the deal better for you.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoski:

The WPC boards are quite robust and the idea of arbitrarily replacing them because there is a reset issue is kind of silly. I've had brand new rottendogs bad out of the box. If you can't do the work send it to a qualified professional and you'll have an updated, reliable board for 100 bucks.

#21 2 years ago

I wouldn't pay more than 45 there are always unseen issues with projects. But without seeing pics it's hard to blindly get a gauge. I've seen people's games that they said were dirty and just had little ball trails here and there and then I've seen games that needed light cleanings and it looked like someone wiped the play field with dirty diapers

#22 2 years ago

I'll try to take some pictures of it tonight. Thanks for the advice so far everyone.

I did check the batteries and there was no leakage.

#23 2 years ago

If it were me I'd offer 3500-4000

#24 2 years ago
#25 2 years ago

anything less than 5k and you are golden, 4 would be sweet. I would just show up with a stack of benjis. Then begin negotiation. Right then and there. Cash money. Don't do the bs phone email crap negotiation

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 78.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pleasanton, CA
£ 58.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Santa Clara, CA
$ 399.95
$ 5.00
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashton-sandy Spring, MD
$ 14.95
$ 999.00
$ 10.95
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 42.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 40.00
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside