Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by brg126
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

A friend of mine has a DM and a Baywatch machine that have been sitting for a few years (ok a lot of years) and he may be willing to sell them. He bought them at auction 10-12 years ago. I did a quick inspection today, and it looks like they were both on route in Europe (Germany is my guess based on the coin slots). Both games need a good cleaning and new rubber, probably new bulbs all the way around, and may need re-built flippers based on the strength of them.

DM - Cosmetics are good. Sound does not work at all, but I assume that would be an easy fix. The display has some lines going down through it, but it is viewable. Not sure if that is wiring or a display issue. The big issue is the magnet in the back appears to be broken. The ball raises up to it, but the ball does not stick. The game seems to just sit after this. Since the magnet contraption is a big part of the game it make it unplayable.

Baywatch - This one has all sort of problems. The large display looks awesome, then cuts out completely. Sometimes it will randomly turn on if you bump it. Could be a big issue if the display is bad, since it is a discontinues size. It also seems to not recognize the pinballs have been popped up into the plunger area. The game just keeps putting up more pinballs one after the other. Lots of gremlins seem to have crept into this thing. Also, well, it's Baywatch. I don't think my wife would let this one stay in the house for very long based on the art. This would be a fix it up and sell it machine.

Before I make an offer on them I thought I would get some advice here. I honestly don't know much about fixing them up, and I am sure I would need to hire someone to do some of the more major stuff.

#2 10 years ago

I know little about Baywatch, but agree with your assessment on the DMD. Game is a slow sell for what I've seen, but decent prices. Perhaps $1700 in nice shape. May be wrong, dunno. I would def. subtract for those condition issues.

Demolition Man is a $1800-$2200 game usually, depending on condition. High end is nice overall shape, reasonable if not nice handles and shopped. No DMD issues, perhaps LEDs all around. Again, I would not pay that for your buddies.

#3 10 years ago

Baywatch: Check the power connection to the DMD @ the DMD. Mine was doing the same. Brittle connector, R&R low $$ fix. Good luck!

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the info. If anyone has any insight on the DM cryo-claw thing, please let me know. Getting that working would be the priority.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from brg126:

Thanks for the info. If anyone has any insight on the DM cryo-claw thing, please let me know. Getting that working would be the priority.

Well to check the rest of the game, you can just shut the cryo claw off in the settings. When the claw is lit the shot will just loop around and start one of the things you normally select with the claw.

As for what is wrong with it, that comes down to standard diagnostics with a meter. Fuses, the magnet itself, broken wire, the causes are endless. Start simple and work your way forward and backward from there. If you're not getting power to the magnet, go back. If you are, the magnet is bad. Just figure out part by part how far things are getting. The. Figure out your next direction. Oh, and of course check every fuse. Pull out one end and heck it with the meter, don't trust looking at it.

#6 10 years ago

I know someone with a minty DM that's he'll sell for $2200 right now. Contact me if interested. Located in SE WI.

Baywatch is very hard to move. Took 6 months to move one that practically looked like it just came out of the box for $1400.

#7 10 years ago

That looks like a $2500 package deal IMO. Break that price up however you like, but any more than that...

Demo Man - I don't know anything about those issues so maybe I am more scared than I should be, but I am of the opinion that only a top of the line DM fetches $2k...so non-working? Sub $1500 probably?

Baywatch - the display shouldn't be a big deal. Had a Maverick (another big DMD pin) years ago before I knew anything about repair. The DMD would behave as you describe, I would "Fonzie" (bang on) the backbox and it would come back on. Eventually got worse so I had to do something. I don't recall exactly what I did but I do remember that there is a flaw in the wiring on those big DMD's that causes them to not get enough power (?) or something to that effect. I remember doing something to the wires and it fixed it forever. Google it, RGP search it...I don't think it's a big concern. If the display was bad I don't believe it would present like you describe.

The other issues sound a lot like switch issues, either trough opto's (does it have those? If so they are notoriously flaky but can be replaced for about $9 each), regular trough switch(es) or shooter lane. Never owned a Baywatch but if it has a magnet then magnetized balls have been known to cause problems like feeding an extra ball to the trough.

Bottom line, I think I could fix the BW for $20 but if I am wrong and it needs a new display that's $450 alone. The DM I wouldn't have a clue.

#8 10 years ago

Try reseating the ribbon cables for the display, if the game has been sitting for a while they can get a little tarnish build up on the pins (clays guides talk about this). I had a t2 with the same display problem, and after removing the ribbon cable a.few times to clean the contacts, the game worked perfectly. The guy who.sold it to me said the display was bad, but after reading clays guides, it was just dirty cables.

#9 10 years ago

Sorry I read your post wrong, I thought the display problem was on the DM.

#10 10 years ago

the 5 V's for those displays are very very picky. even when used all the time they flake out. Stern has an updated cable for that. I was told they will send you one if it's flaky.

#11 10 years ago

Stern?

#12 10 years ago

Stern used to be Sega and Data East. They still somewhat support their old games.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I know someone with a minty DM that's he'll sell for $2200 right now. Contact me if interested. Located in SE WI.

Neo,

PM sent.

Thanks,
EV

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Stern used to be Sega and Data East. They still somewhat support their old games.

Guess I didn't realize they still offered parts this far out.

#15 10 years ago

Stern still has parts for DE machines?? Wow, that would be cool.

#16 10 years ago

There is a DM or two near me in PA for sale, too. Not sure of OPS location.

#17 10 years ago

Thank for the info everyone, very helpful! I think I am going to make him an offer on both as a package deal and see what happens. These would be my first machines after a lot of time playing at a friends place, so I am sure I would be spending a lot of time in the support forums fixing them up!

3 weeks later
#19 10 years ago

I was finally able to make the deal! So I now own by first machines, Demolition Man and Baywatch. Right now they are both at a local repair shop, getting some quotes on getting them shopped out. Not sure if I am going to shop them both or not, I will definitely keep the DM machine. Still deciding on Baywatch. Any thoughts on what Baywatch goes for after being shopped? Cabinet is in pretty good shape, few minor scrapes but nothing crazy.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from brg126:

I was finally able to make the deal! So I now own by first machines, Demolition Man and Baywatch. Right now they are both at a local repair shop, getting some quotes on getting them shopped out. Not sure if I am going to shop them both or not, I will definitely keep the DM machine. Still deciding on Baywatch. Any thoughts on what Baywatch goes for after being shopped? Cabinet is in pretty good shape, few minor scrapes but nothing crazy.

I bought a mint perfect one for 1400.

#21 10 years ago

I regret selling a mint perfect one for $1400. Brg126 I'm still interested in taking the bay watch off your hands, stay in touch.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I regret selling a mint perfect one for $1400. Brg126 I'm still interested in taking the bay watch off your hands, stay in touch.

Will do, man. I'm a man of my word. If/when I sell it: It'll go to you for sure - for the same price.

#23 10 years ago

Haha no worries glad it's being enjoyed. I'll find one, got my TFTC for trade right now if you know of anyone looking for one of those.

#24 10 years ago

I had a similar DMD problem on my JD and had to replace the board. Every other line was working & it wasn't the power supply. (K's Arcade less than $100 w/shipping)
I hope you got a good deal. It sounds like a lot of work. With all of the risk (and $$$) on you especially if you aren't doing the work yourself. I would agree on a working/need nothing DM at $1800-$2200 ( there is one on Philly CL for 2G-$1900 for a couple of weeks now that looks nice. Baywatch I have seen for $900-1200 (perfect $1400 isn't out of line) But one with issues? I would try to leave a lot of room not to get burned especially for a game you probably won't keep. Good luck, the people on these boards are great & are always willing to help you out if you try to do the work yourself.

#25 10 years ago

Thanks everyone, I will be in touch Tsskinne!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.00
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-demolition-man-baywatch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.