Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Jappie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191108_151110 (resized).jpg
20191108_151123 (resized).jpg
20191108_151210_HDR (resized).jpg
20191108_151135 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191107-WA0000 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191107-WA0001 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191107-WA0003 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191107-WA0004 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191107-WA0006 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191107-WA0007 (resized).jpg
IMG-20191107-WA0008 (resized).jpg

#1 16 days ago

I'm currently looking at a Data East Batman and I'm wondering what a good offer would be.
Some details (I don't have photo's yet, they might follow..) :

Cabinet: Great shape and almost no dents/scratches, back box does have a very small amount of damage in the corners.

Playfield: Does have some wear but it is not very disturbing. Joker-ramp does have a little damage between the eyes. Rest of the toys and plastics are in good shape. Everything is working.

Insides: CPU board is not getting the 12 volts it needs and voltage drops when there is a lot going on. If it drops below +/-8 volts, the dmd shuts off or the machine reboots. Rest of the boards are looking good and they are all there. All inserts and flashers are LED as well as the lights behind the backglass. The DMD screen is a pretty recent LED replacement.

Hope you can give me some advice, thanks in advance!

#2 16 days ago

one local to me just sold for $2200 and it was pretty rough. I solid players game, but did play 100%.

#3 16 days ago

Seller wants €2000 ($2200) as is. It does play 100%, until it shuts off without a warning. I think it needs a full set of new capacitors on the CPU and atleast a couple of hours and a few $100's to find and resolve the problem.

#4 15 days ago

Some photo's.
As you can see the playfield damage is mostly near the flippers and the posts around the center ramp.
Seller thinks I can get €2500/$2750 for it if I fix it.
Can' t find any reference prices..

Anyone?

IMG-20191107-WA0006 (resized).jpgIMG-20191107-WA0008 (resized).jpgIMG-20191107-WA0004 (resized).jpgIMG-20191107-WA0007 (resized).jpgIMG-20191107-WA0003 (resized).jpgIMG-20191107-WA0001 (resized).jpgIMG-20191107-WA0000 (resized).jpg
#5 15 days ago

Well,, the game looks above average to me.

Sounds more like a power supply problem to me with voltages dipping down. If the original power supply is not damaged, then I expect it needs a new bridge rectifier and all new capacitors and possibly CN1 could be toast and/or bad fuse clips and maybe the CN8 GI connector if any of the GI is dim or off.

Still I would ask for 3 separate close up pictures of all the boards in the backbox, one of the power supply, and 1 of the MPU. Subtract $200 bucks off the offer if the power supply is damaged. Subtract $450 off the offer if the MPU has major battery damaged. If the power supply cannot be repaired, I would go with an Xpin board. If there is minor battery corrosion on the original MPU, subtract $300 from the offer then I would have it sent out for repair and add NVRAM. If it has heavy battery corrosion, I would try and locate a fully working original MPU.

I would even ask for a picture of the game with power turned on just so you know for sure the DMD works and all the GI strings are working in the backbox and playfied. Don't assume the seller is being fully accurate on what is working when he did not supply a picture with the game on.

#6 15 days ago

pinballmaniac40 thank you for your reply! I have seen the machine because I am fixing it for the seller, so I know how the boards look, I know it plays and I know the dmd/gi/sound works. All the boards are original and there has not been worked on any.. except the power supply. (which is what I meant, don't know why I said cpu lol) That board has some work done to it and is currently at my house so I can measure it trough. The battery got relocated to the bottom of the back box before they could leak on the boards.

So I know the machine works, plays even, but sometimes it shuts off without warning.
So I'm thinking of repairing it for him and paying him his asking price (or a bit less) minus the repair costs.

#7 15 days ago

Why not just buy it from him now? Especially if you like playing it.

How about posting the pictures for us to see? I like viewing nice original boards.
6264 NVRAM will remove those batteries forever!

#8 15 days ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Why not just buy it from him now? Especially if you like playing it.

Well that's the problem a bit, he wants $2200 now as is. But I want to give him $2200 for it after I finished the repairs.
Can upload photo's from the power supply board tomorrow!

#9 15 days ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Well that's the problem a bit, he wants $2200 now as is. But I want to give him $2200 for it after I finished the repairs.

It does have a better than average playfield, from what I have been reading the DE Batman playfields are usually in tough shape.

I think you are close in price, with issues though a tough call. If you can do repair yourself not so bad then if boards need repair.

#10 15 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

It does have a better than average playfield, from what I have been reading the DE Batman playfields are usually in tough shape.
I think you are close in price, with issues though a tough call. If you can do repair yourself not so bad then if boards need repair.

Thanks for your reply. It does have a decent playfield indeed.
The problem is just that I don't know what the repairs are going to cost, but we can do the repairs at home so.
Think I will repair the board and make an offer after it.

#11 15 days ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Thanks for your reply. It does have a decent playfield indeed.
The problem is just that I don't know what the repairs are going to cost, but we can do the repairs at home so.
Think I will repair the board and make an offer after it.

I think you are better now making offer, after fixed price will go up.

#12 15 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I think you are better now making offer, after fixed price will go up.

So I should agree on $2200 for the fixed machine no matter the costs of the repairs?

#13 15 days ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

So I should agree on $2200 for the fixed machine no matter the costs of the repairs?

That is up to you.

I think once machine is fixed, owner will increase price since it is fixed now of course or no longer wish to sell at all.

How much is one that is fully functional and in decent condition in your area?

Sometime you do have to gamble, win or lose.

#14 15 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I think once machine is fixed, owner will increase price since it is fixed now of course or no longer wish to sell at all.

I agree with the above. Fixing it now will backfire for you if you to buy it after it is working unless you have something in writing. Negotiate before repairing it.

#15 15 days ago

Offer 2k as it is. Surely you will put 200 into it, even if it.is just a Xpin power supply to get it going. Then you can resell the other original power supply.

#16 15 days ago

$10 in parts plus your time , its usually the smaller 5v caps on the power supply. odds are small its a larger issue. the main thing is the display. maybe try running the game without the display and see if it still shuts down.

#17 15 days ago

I don't know what those games are going for in your neck of the woods but $2200 seems high for a non-working game that you have an inside track on.

If you can't find local price references on Batman, your customer/seller likely can't either. I wouldn't pay more than $1500 US for a non-working Batman and even that would be a stretch. It's not a great game and those early DEs are not of very high quality build wise.

Sellers are always convinced you are gonna make huge money when you fix it, but it's not that easy. Might be too late at this point but I'd try to get the seller to see it my way or move on. Why bail them out of their headache? They own a broken Batman, not you. They should be happy to get rid of it.

#18 15 days ago

The playfield is better than most, but not perfect.

Who's actually paying $2k+ for this title? I've seen a couple of these for $1500-$1800 (but with more playfield wear) and they don't seem to move.

#19 15 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Who's actually paying $2k+ for this title? I've seen a couple of these for $1500-$1800 (but with more playfield wear) and they don't seem to move.

These days?! I'd expect a decent working one to get Hook money ($2000-2500) without much trouble. You don't see them very often at all, and Batman will always be a hot theme. The backglass artwork is very cool.

The question is what THIS one is worth and it ain't working Hook money!

#20 15 days ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Location, location, location.

Guy is in the Netherlands. Not sure what sales and pin availability is like compared to the east coast.

FYI anyone who says DE is not built as good as Williams/Bally/Gottlieb.. I strongly disagree. The only knock I'd have against DE is the GI circuit loads which is easily fixed and takes years to show up. I can point out flaws in any brand that shows itself after years of service.

Prom boards on System 80B's, interconnect connections on Williams, Bally GI circuit issues, etc. Both my DE pins have been tanks.

#21 15 days ago

Thanks everyone for the good input/thoughts!

These are pretty rare in the Netherlands according to the Pinside map. (and the fact that I rarely see them for sale here)
I'm guessing the problem is pretty minor and I can fix it for about $100, but it's a guess..
Just asked the seller again if he wants the $2000 for the broken machine, or for the fixed machine minus. (now I just have to wait for an answer)
As a reference for the price: currently there are 2 Data East Star Trek machines for sale near me, for over $2500 each.

Also: the price is on the higher side, but I think this is an important connection to keep and to keep close. I fixed one of his machines before and he has a collection with 8 Data Easts and 2 Bally Williams machines. The former guy who fixed his machines passed away a while back, so we kinda took over that job.

#22 15 days ago

I got 1800 for a much more beat up one about a year and a half ago... I thought it was a fun game!

#23 15 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

FYI anyone who says DE is not built as good as Williams/Bally/Gottlieb.. I strongly disagree.

Would you really?!

Not talking about boards, talking about everything else. The mechs just don't age well and everything starts to get mushy. They were still using shitty bakelite linkages in their solenoid mechs a decade after everybody else had moved to stronger nylon/plastics. These linkages may have been fine for EMs but with the faster games of the late 80s /early 90s they were not up to the task and will all need replacement by now if they haven't broken already.

By 1991 they had improved the cabinets but those 1987-1990 cabinets are complete garbage which is why I think the survival rates of those old games isn't so hot. Display boards hanging off scraping backglasses, paint falling off, cracked cheap plywood everywhere, speaker panels that don't fit right and rip the brackets out of the wood etc.

DE was definitely a distant 3rd when it came to "build quality." I don't bear any grudge it's just a hard to ignore reality once you've been through hundreds of games of all the different manufacturers.

Yes the board sets are decent but this isn't a surprise - Gary just ripped off the System 11 boardset just as he had ripped off the Bally board set a decade earlier. And just like the early Stern games, the boards were the most solid thing while the cheapness was found pretty much everywhere else.

#24 15 days ago

I know their build quality wasn't the best, that's one of the reasons most of their machines are pretty cheap.
But I don't mind and I just don't want to overpay by a lot
I'm not thinking about reselling it immediately, but I do want to be sure I can get 95% of my money back after a few months/years.

#25 15 days ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Just asked the seller again if he wants the $2000 for the broken machine, or for the fixed machine

Dang he really wants $2200 for it in this condition, think I'll pass unless it happens to be a cheap fix.

#26 15 days ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

I know their build quality wasn't the best, that's one of the reasons most of their machines are pretty cheap.

Better than my Gottlieb Gold Wings with sawdust wood cabinet, which Williams also indulged in.

#27 15 days ago

In this area, 2K seems to be about right. I don't really love the game so maybe you're asking the wrong person.

With this title, I feel like a really really nice one could sell for twice that money. It's just extremely difficult to find this title in great condition. For some reason the playfields were all destroyed. It's like the ink didn't stick properly or they used wood that wasn't dry or something. I have NEVER seen a routed one in great condition.

#28 15 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

These days?! I'd expect a decent working one to get Hook money ($2000-2500) without much trouble.

I think there was one at this past pinfest for about $1600.

Hook is actually *selling* for that amount now? I know people ask bonkers prices for it, but it's basically been topping out at about $1500 for a good while.

#29 15 days ago

Kinda figured it would backfire on offering anything less. Buying now and take it home to work on. Ot definitely be worth at least what you put into it.

If you delay too long. Likely will get sold from under you.

If it is a fun game, that is what matters. Grab it.

#30 15 days ago

I have been collecting since 2008, during that time, I only ever seen one for sale at a retail shop in my city.

#31 15 days ago

I would highly recommend playing this game a few times before buying it. The code is so limited, I was bored within a few games.

#32 15 days ago

I had one and couldn't sell it fast enough. Boring pin.

#33 15 days ago

Thank you all for your replies!

I have played the game and thought it was pretty fun, but not a keeper. My collection is very slow moving (uhhm.. well not moving at all) so a breath of fresh air once in a while is okay. If I don't happen to like it, I'll try to trade or sell it. (if I actually buy it)

#34 15 days ago

I would not buy a Batman for that kind of money. You can get a much better pin for 2.000 euro.

Also: US prices are different from Dutch prices. Keep that in mind.

#35 14 days ago
Quoted from Jappie:

I would not buy a Batman for that kind of money. You can get a much better pin for 2.000 euro.
Also: US prices are different from Dutch prices. Keep that in mind.

I know, but as long as I can sell it for the same amount (or more) I'm okay with it.
Can always trade/sell it.

#36 14 days ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Blue cable was attached because of a burnt connector, but I will repair it to the way it should be.
Also fuse F7 (not on photo) is not used because it has an LED display.

20191108_151110 (resized).jpg20191108_151123 (resized).jpg20191108_151135 (resized).jpg20191108_151210_HDR (resized).jpg
#37 14 days ago

Yeah, I am all for fixing boards, but now that is eating into a reliability factor.

I would either get another working original or go with the new Xpin power supply.

#38 14 days ago

This is why I asked to see pictures of the boards early on. I would not waste my time on that power supply.

#39 13 days ago

Guy wants it fixed no matter if I buy it or not. Costs are for him. Picking it up tonight so I can fix it at home (and 95% sure now I won't buy it)

#40 13 days ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

(and 95% sure now I won't buy it)

Smart move. Having this sitting between your Shadow and TZ, ...... it would not get played.

#41 13 days ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

Smart move. Having this sitting between your Shadow and TZ, ...... it would not get played.

Was thinking that too, but on the other hand it would be cool to have a super simple game (skill shot + 1 shot = multiball) in the mix

#42 13 days ago

Think the usd 2200 price for a broken Batman of this model with playfield wear is to high in our area. This model is not Popular at all.

Fix it, get paid for your hours and leave it at the seller is my advice.

#43 13 days ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Was thinking that too, but on the other hand it would be cool to have a super simple game (skill shot + 1 shot = multiball) in the mix

So many other, cooler, cheaper games fit that bill though.

#44 12 days ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Think the usd 2200 price for a broken Batman of this model with playfield wear is to high in our area. This model is not Popular at all.
Fix it, get paid for your hours and leave it at the seller is my advice.

Quoted from Jappie:

So many other, cooler, cheaper games fit that bill though.

Thanks for the advise both of you!
After inspecting it at home I found out that the center ramp is broken, the joker ramp is broken, the Batman target bank doesn't register all shots and that is has a lot more pf damage than I thought.

Not gonna buy it. Will look today at the Dutch Pinball Open for ideas for my next pin

#45 12 days ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

After inspecting it at home I found out that the center ramp is broken, the joker ramp is broken, the Batman target bank doesn't register all shots and that is has a lot more pf damage than I thought.
Not gonna buy it. Will look today at the Dutch Pinball Open for ideas for my next pin

Ouch. Good for you that you were able to examine the game well before you made that decision.

If you're in the market for an early DE game with simple but cool rules, I can definitely recommend their very first game, Laser War. They come for sale every now and then. This title has a very nice ruleset and is a joy to play. There's more of those obviously, but Laser War just popped into my mind.

#46 12 days ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

I'm a sucker for these early movie-licensed Data East pins; I have a lot of personal nostalgia with Batman and Star Wars - both played heavily when first released.

That center ramp is always broken at then end of the ramp near the ball return; the Joker ramp is far less susceptible to damage compared to main ramp. That Flugelheim Museum bank is usually in need of a good adjusting - mine was the same way when I brought mine home.

Tell him you'll take that playfield from it and I'll send you mine!

Quoted from Jappie:

Ouch. Good for you that you were able to examine the game well before you made that decision.
If you're in the market for an early DE game with simple but cool rules, I can definitely recommend their very first game, Laser War. They come for sale every now and then. This title has a very nice ruleset and is a joy to play. There's more of those obviously, but Laser War just popped into my mind.

Agreed - love me some Laser War. Torpedo Alley is also a good follow up albeit quasi rare.

#47 9 days ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Own both Time Machine and Secret Service, both outstanding titles if you get the chance to play them.

The subtle call outs and humor worth it alone.

#48 8 days ago

Well it's a bit more expensive, but I'm going to look at a Judge Dredd tonight. The Batman will be repaired and will go back to its owner.

#49 8 days ago

Great game! Especially with the Deadworld mod installed. Really makes a big difference in the overall feel of the game.

Not quite the simplicity you were looking for though!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Toronto, ON
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 26.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Boards
PinSound
$ 50.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside