You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2956 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20161012-164449 (resized).png
Screenshot_20161012-164503 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Glarrownage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What's your point? Are any of us Congo owners SELLING our Congos? No.

His point is that if you own a Congo you have a vested interest in its value going up. Even if you are not currently selling, you would obviously want it's value increase. It's true, some people have a very difficult time being objective. That being said, his argument that only people in this thread that value Congo over $3500 are people that own it is invalid. I don't own one, I would like to buy one, and I believe that the price range mentioned in this thread is pretty fair. I would pay in that range for sure, dependent upon condition of course.

OP, just recognize that pin owners naturally over-value and buyers naturally under-value. Usually it balances itself out, but it seems like you are getting some pretty good advice from everyone.

Quoted from pinlink:

Sorry I ruined your black panther party.

I don't think you know what that means...

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If I ever do sell it, as long as it's at least the $2300 I paid for it, I'll be happy

Man, I wish I would have been interested in Congo earlier. If I could get one for $2300 nowadays I would buy two.

So, I do have a question about Congo and how it increased in value so quickly. It's popularity seemed to sky rocket out of no where a few years ago. Any idea why it got so hot so fast after no one really cared about it for years? Obviously the price went up due to demand, I'm just curious why demand went up. I know there are only about 2k made but other games that had fairly low runs like JM still stayed closer to the 2k price range. Indy 500 is another good example of a low run game but its price also went up significantly but I never hear people clamoring for it like I do Congo.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Here's my theory...
As the "A" and "B" games got snapped up and rose in value due to demand, people started looking to the "C" games, as they were cheaper and there was less competition to get them. People would buy Congo on a whim cuz they'd find it for $1000 or so...and then realize "HOLY SHIT! This game is super super fun!". The flow is aweome. The music is awesome. The gimmicks aren't blindblowing, but they're fun (Volcano, Amy, Lower Playfield Grey Gorilla). So - those "cheap" Congos that got bought up over the years rarely left their owners...less supply, great word of mouth = DEMAND. Price goes up. As for Indy...I dunno...car games tend not to be that popular, I guess? Johnny Mnemonic....maybe the theme is even cheesier than Congo?
Also, a few years back, we went from everyone wanting deep games to a resurgence in people appreciating games with "simple rules". I think the popularity of fast/addicting/simpler games like Iron Man and Tron led to games like Congo becoming more popular. Lots of people compared Congo's layout and flow to Tron as well...so those who didn't want to spend so much on a Tron might have picked up Congo instead.

That is super interesting and insightful, thanks! I never would have put together the Iron Man and Tron releases influencing the popularity in Congo. I would have thought it would have influenced BSD more so than Congo but then again they made 6800 of those. White Water is another one that sky rocketed after being so cheap for a long time. So, do you think people have pretty much discovered all the B/W era DMD tables or do you think some of the other cheaper pins will become the next Congo/White Water?

Quoted from bigd1979:

I dunnno but ive owned i500 and jm . congo is considerably much better to play and has much more going on....its also a wpc 95 and many were parted out or turned into the more sought after wpc95 pins . Their are not a whole lot of them to go around it seems.

The fact that it is a WPC 95 is another really good point, but isn't FastBreak a WPC 95 as well? That didn't seem to effect the price of FastBreak too much (Yet).

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

And.... On Facebook about two years ago, Keith Elwin announced how much he loved the skill shot rapid fire mode on Congo. Everybody went ape over the game after that.
I own one and I just now read I'm not allowed to quote a price.

Personally, I've always felt more drawn to games that are frequently played in PAPA events. If its competitive enough for them its competitive enough for me. So the Elwin theory makes sense to me too.

Quoted from Mr68:

I own one and I just now read I'm not allowed to quote a price.

No one said that, feel free. The more input for the OP, the better.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I was just making a joke.

Yeah, your attempt was duly noted.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Glarrownage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-congo?tu=Glarrownage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.