Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

What's a shopped Comet with and excellent playfield and LED's going for?

#2 7 years ago

1200 is what I would pay if it's above avg and has coin taker leds installed.

#3 7 years ago

I would think 1200 would be a good price for the seller, but who knows now days.

2 weeks later
#4 7 years ago

How excellent is the playfield? Most of them seem to have a ton of planking or crazing in the areas not covered with mylar. How about the ramps? I personally wouldn't care about leds. Light bulb choices are very personal and terribly simple to do - not relevant to price imho.To me it's the playield, unobtanium parts and the backglass that matter most. Pictures are better than words for this sort of thing.

#5 7 years ago

I'd say 1,000 is a good starting point. More or less depending on PF. The BG's are notorious for fade on this title. You really need to provide pictures if you are going to ask these questions in the marketplace forum.

1 week later
#6 7 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I personally wouldn't care about leds. Light bulb choices are very personal and terribly simple to do - not relevant to price imho.

Generally agree but keep in mind to achieve controlled lamp LEDs on these classic Sterns/Ballys without a huge amount of flickering requires additional HW, so you're looking at at least $60-100 of value there if the game already has the necessary HW installed (assuming it even does). You either need an AllTek-style replacement lamp board, available aftermarket LED adapters, or the lamp sockets need a resistor added to them.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Generally agree but keep in mind to achieve controlled lamp LEDs on these classic Sterns/Ballys without a huge amount of flickering requires additional HW, so you're looking at at least $60-100 of value there if the game already has the necessary HW installed (assuming it even does). You either need an AllTek-style replacement lamp board, available aftermarket LED adapters, or the lamp sockets need a resistor added to them.

yeah, but those issues are not relevant for a Williams system 9 machine.

#8 7 years ago

The problem with pinball & the pinball community the last few years has been LED's. Somehow most people are under the illusion that LED's add value to a machine - they are just replaceable light bulbs! The value of a machines is about condition - condition - condition. Just like when buying a house - it is all about location and everything else is secondary.

LED's may add to the curb appeal of a pinball machine just like nice siding & landscaping will do with a house and maybe curb appeal will make something easier to sell for a little more money but again it is all about condition when it comes to selling a machine.

I vote for the $1000 to $1200 range depending on condition

#9 7 years ago

Comet is a very fun classic game...I'm never selling mine. Getting the million point shot is one of the best shots in pinball. The machine goes crazy when you get it (as best as it can for a System 9 game). Just be sure to adjust the settings to hard, otherwise you will quickly get bored. On the hard settings it is more challenging (nothing is lit to start). Love the call outs... "million...million...million". A Python/Oursler classic. Get it!

Price totally depends on condition, if the playfield is blown out, like most are, then I wouldn't pay more than $900. If it has a very nice playfield and the ramps aren't cracked, then $1400.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

The problem with pinball & the pinball community the last few years has been LED's. Somehow most people are under the illusion that LED's add value to a machine - they are just replaceable light bulbs! The value of a machines is about condition - condition - condition. Just like when buying a house - it is all about location and everything else is secondary.
LED's may add to the curb appeal of a pinball machine just like nice siding & landscaping will do with a house and maybe curb appeal will make something easier to sell for a little more money but again it is all about condition when it comes to selling a machine.
I vote for the $1000 to $1200 range depending on condition

I agree 100%. If people would spend more time actually shopping out games than installing LED's, the games would all be better off. To me a shopped game is so much more of a selling point than having LED's.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

yeah, but those issues are not relevant for a Williams system 9 machine.

Good point!

3 months later
#12 6 years ago

LED's may add to the curb appeal

...but it is more than that. I just bought a Comet for $1200. Perfect backglass, everything working, shopped and rubbers, offboard battery pack and zero corrosion, some quarter size ball wear in a couple areas, new legs and levelers. LEDs in all the GI. Yes, it has the curb appeal and the LEDs make it attractive...but the LEDs would also have cost me $100 or so plus and evening of work. The LEDs relieve some of the pressure of high current draw on the GI. Game runs cooler, saves the backglass paint, and I won't have to be changing bulbs as often.

Somehow most people are under the illusion that LED's add value to a machine

Now you can't just take a turd machine and throw bright LEDs and jack the price up way more than the LEDs themselves cost....now THAT is the illusion that you are speaking of. The price of the game has to encompass EVERYTHING in the game, and if tastefully chosen LEDs are a part of that, then the functional benefits (low current/low heat/longevity) are the "added value"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New Cumberland, PA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-comet-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.