Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

checkpointBoards (resized).jpg
checkpointPF (resized).png
checkpointFull (resized).jpg
checkpointBG (resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Curious to know a good price for this game. Of course Ebay is pretty high but considering it's the first DMD game, wasn't sure if that's driving price. Anyone buy one recently?

#2 8 years ago

depends on condition....Is this a game you really want, or just a first game? If it is just a first game you are trying to find, there are many others I'd suggest, like a gottlieb sys 3. This gen of DE games have the half size dmd, which is expensive to replace.

I own the game, I got a good deal on it, but the cab has some issues, all the boards had to get shipped out for repair and one replaced. The PF had some touch ups so I found a NOS one and the ramp is usually broken. I'm a huge fan of Porsche though and I had passed up 2 games for a freaking steal when I first got into the hobby. The game in a poor condition should be 700-1000. In good condition you'll be near 1000-1200 ish. THis is just my opinion though.

Here is my thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/checkpoint

Main issues:
battery leaking on the board
Wear at the pops
Broken ramp after the shoot out
DMD not fully working (gassed out)

#3 8 years ago

thanks - very helpful. I like car games so was curious.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

thanks - very helpful. I like car games so was curious.

If you like car games:

High speed

dmd games:
The Getaway: high speed 2 (sequel)
Corvette
Indy 500
NASCAR
Checkpoint

For the price, checkpoint or high speed will be around 1000. I had high speed, didn't really like it a ton. It was okay. High speed 2 is fun. I like CP, it has goofy music, shaker, an 80's game feel, glass backglass, porsche theme.

#5 8 years ago

Anything over $1200 better be in phenomenal shape. Usually hover around $800-$1000. you don't typically see them lower than that because they're worth more in parts. That small dot matrix is worth $300 alone. If that has problems it can be very difficult to find.

#6 8 years ago

I paid $1,000 for my checkpoint off EBay a couple of months ago - 90% of the machine works (some wires were disconnected), cabinet is a mess, and need to fix some hacks (CN8 needs to be replaced on the PSB) but the DMD works just fine.

6 years later
#7 2 years ago

Can I get some opinions on the price for this game in current market? Looking at one in excellent fully restored original condition, single owner UHO.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Can I get some opinions on the price for this game in current market? Looking at one in excellent fully restored original condition, single owner UHO.

Probably need clarification and pictures, but fully restored "original" condition and hou, not sure add up. if the game was home use only, I wouldn't suspect it would need to be fully restored. But many people like to say they "restored" a game and it was home use after that. Which.....is...a weird statement.

If the game actually is in good shape they seem to go 2500-4k?
Does it have a color dmd?
is the key start button there?
is the shaker inside?
Are all plastics there and intact?
Is the ramp perfect? - usually it cracks where the ball is ejected out in the upper left.
How are the pop bumpers?
How is the pf where the pop bumpers are?
Are the inserts lifting or chipping?
How do the boards look?
Does the wheel spin in the backglass?

Unless the game was actually restored, when people throw out that kind of sentence...you have to be skeptical. Many times, someone wipes a game down, puts leds in and calls it fully restored.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Probably need clarification and pictures, but fully restored "original" condition and hou, not sure add up. if the game was home use only, I wouldn't suspect it would need to be fully restored. But many people like to say they "restored" a game and it was home use after that. Which.....is...a weird statement.
If the game actually is in good shape they seem to go 2500-4k?
Does it have a color dmd?
is the key start button there?
is the shaker inside?
Are all plastics there and intact?
Is the ramp perfect? - usually it cracks where the ball is ejected out in the upper left.
How are the pop bumpers?
How is the pf where the pop bumpers are?
Are the inserts lifting or chipping?
How do the boards look?
Does the wheel spin in the backglass?
Unless the game was actually restored, when people throw out that kind of sentence...you have to be skeptical. Many times, someone wipes a game down, puts leds in and calls it fully restored.

I appreciate the detail in your follow up. Saying "full restored" was bad wording on my part. I should've said, single owner HUO and recently shopped. No color DMD, but yes or good to excellent for the rest of your questions where that applies.

checkpointBG (resized).jpgcheckpointBG (resized).jpgcheckpointBoards (resized).jpgcheckpointBoards (resized).jpgcheckpointFull (resized).jpgcheckpointFull (resized).jpgcheckpointPF (resized).pngcheckpointPF (resized).png
#10 2 years ago

Always look at completed sales to get a good idea of potential value. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive?s=1&radius_latitude=39.00178&radius_longitude=-76.68747&keywords=&ad_machine_key=94&ad_condition=0&machine_type=&ad_machine_manuf=&year_from=&year_to=&radius_distancekm=0&sort_by=ad_end_date&sort_order=DESC#results

The highest confirmed Checkpoint Sale on pinside ever was $3500. With pinflation... $4,000 tops. If you asked me, I'd say it would sell instantly at $2800, sell in a week at $3500, and reach for the starts $4,000.

Assuming you are the buyer I'd offer $3,000 as the minimum non-insulting price and take it if I could get it under $3,500... assuming you want it for you and it is not a long term keeper.

#11 2 years ago

Yeaaah I sold mine for somewhere near 1400? It was fully working but had cab issues.

That one is in really nice shape. As long as the stuff I mentioned is included and works. I don’t disagree that satan is right on price

#12 2 years ago

Satan is almost spot on with where I started (2800), where they want to be (3500), and where I'm currently at (3200). It is for me and it would likely be a mid to long term keeper. Can you clarify on why you said "assuming it is not a long term keeper"?

#13 2 years ago

If you are planning on keeping the machine forever I would go higher for this nice example. I personally rotate pins alot and although I have 5 machines right now, have had over 30 rotate through my basement in the past 4 years. If you spend $3200 on it now with plans to keep it for a year or more you will more than likely be able to get your money back out of it when you go to sell it. That will be a $4,000 machine by the end of next year. If this is one of your first pins I'd pay the extra for a nicer example like this one which is LESS likely to break.

Good luck!

#14 2 years ago

While I don't really want to comment on the "going price" for this specific Checkpoint (because it may very well be close to where it would/should/could sell at...) I am trying to understand why a pinball enthusiast would consider buying a 3500 Checkpoint for money that they could set aside and spend on a MUCH better game with a similar theme (Getaway) for 5200 or less...(current Getaway ad on Pinside is 5200).

Checkpoint is a decent game but is it really "$3500 worth of pinball fun". I understand if that's all you can afford but, I don't really read the original post/question that way.

This is just my opinion on the situation. Ultimately, you have to buy what you like and all that jazz and maybe it's "the game you grew up playing" or similar... Is it a good deal? Only you will know for sure but, when asking about how to spend around 3500 on "pinball fun", personally, I would just keep looking for either a better "deal" or a "better game" that fits your goals.

#15 2 years ago

Good feedback Snyper, thanks. Something I'll consider. I know Getaway has much better gameplay/replay and is still in the race theme, but I'm a big Porsche fan. As well as 80's themes. And DMDs as well. Checkpoint checks all those boxes. I can drive 15 mins to multiple barcades and play all the new titles. When it comes to what I want in my house, yes I want to enjoy playing it, but I also want to enjoy looking at it when I'm not playing.

I probably should hold off and watch for one closer to 2k and refurb it myself. Like Satan said though, that could not come again and the new asking for these in a year's time in OK condition could be 3k, and 4k+ for this type of condition.

Overall the intent of my initial post was to try to judge and see if the ask for this one was so far up there that I could lose more than a couple hundred on resale, in case I do end up wanting to sell in the short term.

#16 2 years ago

If you're a porsche fan, have the space and money, it is a game to have. It has a lot of firsts; shaker, dmd, key start. It plays like a simple sys11, but if you have other games on route or at home, you'll enjoy.

#17 2 years ago

I question a "HUO" game with a Rottendog power supply..

#18 2 years ago

I appreciate all the feedback, I decided to pass. I think I'm going to pursue High Speed I or II. I really do need a Williams game in my collection. Since my favorite, MB, is in the stars, one of those currently falls in my price range.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I question a "HUO" game with a Rottendog power supply..

Ya, single owner too. I'm guessing the seller has a receipt with their name on it to verify that claim?

Not impossible but buying NIB for the home wasn't really a thing back then.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

Ya, single owner too. I'm guessing the seller has a receipt with their name on it to verify that claim?
Not impossible but buying NIB for the home wasn't really a thing back then.

I've seen people who have bought games thinking they were the first owner when they had come right off of route.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

While I don't really want to comment on the "going price" for this specific Checkpoint (because it may very well be close to where it would/should/could sell at...) I am trying to understand why a pinball enthusiast would consider buying a 3500 Checkpoint for money that they could set aside and spend on a MUCH better game with a similar theme (Getaway) for 5200 or less...(current Getaway ad on Pinside is 5200).
Checkpoint is a decent game but is it really "$3500 worth of pinball fun". I understand if that's all you can afford but, I don't really read the original post/question that way.
This is just my opinion on the situation. Ultimately, you have to buy what you like and all that jazz and maybe it's "the game you grew up playing" or similar... Is it a good deal? Only you will know for sure but, when asking about how to spend around 3500 on "pinball fun", personally, I would just keep looking for either a better "deal" or a "better game" that fits your goals.

If Checkpoint is actually selling for 3500 now then I need to finish my machine. Wow.

A very fun beginner game, but for 3500 you can buy a laundry list of better machines.
There is rarely ever a truly HUO Data East. Doesn’t happen. Especially Checkpoint.

The only time Checkpoint is really a high value game is if you’re a Porsche fanatic. In that case it’s perfect for what it is, and the Porsche decal mods take it to the next level

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

If Checkpoint is actually selling for 3500 now then I need to finish my machine. Wow.
A very fun beginner game, but for 3500 you can buy a laundry list of better machines.
There is rarely ever a truly HUO Data East. Doesn’t happen. Especially Checkpoint.
The only time Checkpoint is really a high value game is if you’re a Porsche fanatic. In that case it’s perfect for what it is, and the Porsche decal mods take it to the next level

Keep telling you to fix it up, can always use mine for reference. I even have a spare drop target assembly now.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Fix it up and sell it to me for a more reasonable price

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-checkpoint-de-first-dmd-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.