(Topic ID: 324401)

Price Check: Centipede Cocktail Table ($500?)

By SantaEatsCheese

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic poll

“Good deal?”

• Great deal! 13 votes
    76%
  • Pass 4 votes
    24%

(17 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

e845ae79bf096c889fc533a2d737f5e604414e57 (resized).jpg
41db2d1edbf1ce210d5657f780fd399ffae04c52 (resized).jpg
28ab4baf2f4b49178fc3e8549197c17865a68195 (resized).jpg
20221022_113737 (resized).jpg
20221022_113420 (resized).jpg
20221022_113753 (resized).jpg
20221022_114915 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Walked into a yard sale today and saw this Centipede Cocktail Table. It played correctly on both sides, is coin operated, and appears to be 100% original and vintage with a sharp clear monitor. I was debating picking this up and putting it by my pool table with some stools as a pool table rest area as I've never seen one this tall, although it looks like the legs are adjustable. Is this a good/bad idea? Would this immediately stop working if moved? Would this be easier/harder to move than a pinball machine?

They are asking $500 and said it would be 1/2 price tomorrow if no one gets it today.

Screen looked smaller than I would have expected but I guess I'm used to 60in 1s.

They said they had a non Working Space Time Pinball machine for $100 at a friends house if I was interested in arcades, but not sure I'm ready to take on an EM project.
20221022_113420 (resized).jpg20221022_113420 (resized).jpg20221022_113737 (resized).jpg20221022_113737 (resized).jpg20221022_113753 (resized).jpg20221022_113753 (resized).jpg20221022_114915 (resized).jpg20221022_114915 (resized).jpg

Like everything else I put in my arcade I know I can enjoy it more if I can get my money back out.

#2 1 year ago

I wouldn't have hesitated for 500. Probably wont be there tomorrow for 250.

#3 1 year ago

About the going rate, actually less.
500 is fair. Offer 400.

#4 1 year ago

As others have mentioned, thats about the going rate for one. I bought mine for $450 and dont regret it at all.

#5 1 year ago

I'd grab it in a heartbeat at $500. Very fun game and super easy to sell if you get tired of it.

#6 1 year ago

I have a mame computer built into the same cocktail with an LCD screen, Tempest works pretty awesome with a trackball.

$500 for a working unit seems pretty reasonable for a popular game.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

They said they had a non Working Space Time Pinball machine for $100 at a friends house if I was interested in arcades, but not sure I'm ready to take on an EM project.

GO GET IT! Fun machine and worth your time.
-Mike

#8 1 year ago

Here is a good video showing you around the machine. The tunnel is a great skill shot.
-Mike

#9 1 year ago

It's a classic game. $500 seems good.

I really don't think you'd take any hit if you eventually decide to sell it.

#10 1 year ago

$500 is fair for sure, especially if it's local. Grab it!

#11 1 year ago

Walked into a yard sale today and saw this Centipede Cocktail Table. It played correctly on both sides, is coin operated, and appears to be 100% original and vintage with a sharp clear monitor. I was debating picking this up and putting it by my pool table with some stools as a pool table rest area as I've never seen one this tall, although it looks like the legs are adjustable. Is this a good/bad idea? Would this immediately stop working if moved? Would this be easier/harder to move than a pinball machine?
They are asking $500 and said it would be 1/2 price tomorrow if no one gets it today.
Screen looked smaller than I would have expected but I guess I'm used to 60in 1s.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Like everything else I put in my arcade I know I can enjoy it more if I can get my money back out.

Legs are adjustable. They can be tricky to fix. Worth it, love mine! Centipede is an awesome game

1 week later
#12 1 year ago

Who says there are no more project games out there!

So... I ended up snagging that Time Zone for $50 and saved it from the dump. I dragged it home, hooked it up... And nothing. Could have looked into it a bit more but I just don't have the time to mess with it. Reached out to someone local who I know is looking for projects and they got the lights on in 2 minutes at my house. Sent it home with them for $200 and they are already almost finished with it 24 hours later. Almost no flaking on the playfield. A few sticky reels. They should be able to fix it up, play it until they are sick of it, and move it along for a small profit sitll. The tunnel effect is neat.

Long story short the game is 100% complete. They couldn't get into it to plug it in or turn it on as they couldn't find the keys. After jimmying the back open and figuring out there were no headbolts it could have been alot easier. Had to drill the front lock though.

Still working on that Centipede. The lady is going to reach out to me (working with intermediary) but she was saying it would probably go for $300. If she'll sell it I'll take it there.

28ab4baf2f4b49178fc3e8549197c17865a68195 (resized).jpg28ab4baf2f4b49178fc3e8549197c17865a68195 (resized).jpg41db2d1edbf1ce210d5657f780fd399ffae04c52 (resized).jpg41db2d1edbf1ce210d5657f780fd399ffae04c52 (resized).jpge845ae79bf096c889fc533a2d737f5e604414e57 (resized).jpge845ae79bf096c889fc533a2d737f5e604414e57 (resized).jpg
#13 1 year ago

So... I ended up snagging that Time Zone for $50 and saved it from the dump. I dragged it home, hooked it up... And nothing. Could have looked into it a bit more but I just don't have the time to mess with it. Reached out to someone local who I know is looking for projects and they got the lights on in 2 minutes at my house. Sent it home with them for $200 and they are already almost finished with it 24 hours later. Almost no flaking on the playfield. A few sticky reels. They should be able to fix it up, play it until they are sick of it, and move it along for a small profit sitll. The tunnel effect is neat.
Long story short the game is 100% complete. They couldn't get into it to plug it in or turn it on as they couldn't find the keys. After jimmying the back open and figuring out there were no headbolts it could have been alot easier. Had to drill the front lock though.
Still working on that Centipede. The lady is going to reach out to me (working with intermediary) but she was saying it would probably go for $300. If she'll sell it I'll take it there.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Give me an EM and the majority of the time I can get it working in 20 minutes or less.

#14 1 year ago

$50 for Time Zone that's a crazy score.
-Mike

#15 1 year ago

Grab it before it's gone if you really want it... or if you want one for free build a mame.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from acedanger:

Grab it before it's gone if you really want it... or if you want one for free build a mame.

mame and free are not usually used in the same breath. My mame cost me interface board, switches, joystick, etc.

You might get a computer for free but there is a lot more to it than that.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

$50 for Time Zone that's a crazy score.
-Mike

And 20 minutes from home.

Quoted from acedanger:

I've had a MAME and have a PI-Cade. I would keep this original as it is currently all original and nice. In particular, this would be used as a Billiards Pub table as I've been looking for one and this thing is perfect. Would just grab a couple of high back stools to go with it.

I have my number in with the estate sale lady and she's reaching out for me. I want to keep her in the loop so I can snag more deals like that Time Zone.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

mame and free are not usually used in the same breath. My mame cost me interface board, switches, joystick, etc.
You might get a computer for free but there is a lot more to it than that.

lol trust me I know a good bit about them... by free I meant close to being free. I already had a PC that was designed for VR so I repurposed it & use every Emulator including teknoparrot & Steam. Also, use it for VPX (for this I did need to upgrade my monitor) I flip my screen. So the vast majority of classic games are close to free with a low end PC. Joysticks, switches, I-pac & buttons are peanuts.

#19 1 year ago

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

SantaEatsCheese Thanks for selling me your Time Zone! It is up and running and playing games. Threw on a set of translucent silicone rubber bands, soldered in a new fuse holder, then cleaned and adjusted relay switches. Recycled some pop bumper bodies and skirts from my Fireball project and the thing is playing away.

#20 1 year ago

Great game and being a cocktail, you can't loose. I've got not only
a cocktail but prototype #3 that is in the same cocktail cabinet used
for Tempest. Had an upright too but sold it. This, along with many
earlier vids are timeless.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from zarco:

Great game and being a cocktail, you can't loose. I've got not only
a cocktail but prototype #3 that is in the same cocktail cabinet used
for Tempest. Had an upright too but sold it. This, along with many
earlier vids are timeless.

Are the cocktail table versions considered more desirable and generally more expensive?

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

Are the cocktail table versions considered more desirable and generally more expensive?

Just the opposite but some people really love the cocktails. I think there is a misguided notion they take up less space. They are smaller but room has to be made for players on both side. A standup arcade can just be placed against a wall.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Just the opposite but some people really love the cocktails. I think there is a misguided notion they take up less space. They are smaller but room has to be made for players on both side. A standup arcade can just be placed against a wall.

But where are you going to put your pitcher of beer?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-centipede-cocktail-table-500- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.