(Topic ID: 91983)

Price check Captain Fantastic and Wizard!

By eyeguypec

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by eyeguypec
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FG 4.JPG
FG 2.JPG
FG 3.JPG
FG 1.JPG
Wizard! 35.png
Wizard! 23.png
Wizard! 22.png
Wizard! 20.png
Wizard! 18.png
Wizard! 17.png
Wizard! 16.png
Wizard! 15.png
Wizard! 14.png
Captain Fantastic 416.JPG
Captain Fantastic 409.JPG
Captain Fantastic 408.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Need to sell the above 2 machines and wondering what the community thinks is a fair price range. These are both high end restorations complete with CPR playfields. Wizard! also has all metal chromed. Don't really want to sell but need to make room for new projects and machines. I will make available a Dropbox folder with detailed photos of the renovation. Also could use some advice on best posting venue, such as Ebay, Craigslist, here, etc.

Look forward to the feedback and let the heckling begin!EM reovations 1-161.JPGEM reovations 1-161.JPGEM reovations 12.JPGEM reovations 12.JPGEM reovations 11.JPGEM reovations 11.JPGEM reovations 10.JPGEM reovations 10.JPGEM reovations 9.JPGEM reovations 9.JPGEM reovations 8.JPGEM reovations 8.JPGEM reovations 7.JPGEM reovations 7.JPGEM reovations 6.JPGEM reovations 6.JPGEM reovations 5.JPGEM reovations 5.JPGEM reovations 4.JPGEM reovations 4.JPGEM reovations 3.JPGEM reovations 3.JPGEM reovations 2.JPGEM reovations 2.JPG// Error: Image 237468 not found //// Error: Image 237468 not found //

#2 9 years ago

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cmkztgypaso4oyx/AABXnW-T_zhCWhH7xQMA0ApTa

If anyone is interested in seeing pics of the renovations, you can click the Dropbox link above to view. Some of the photos above don't really do these machines justice as they are pretty much perfect and work 100%. Since the renovation, they each have less than 100 plays.....

#3 9 years ago

some more pics:Wizard! 35.pngWizard! 35.pngWizard! 23.pngWizard! 23.pngWizard! 22.pngWizard! 22.pngWizard! 20.pngWizard! 20.pngWizard! 18.pngWizard! 18.pngWizard! 17.pngWizard! 17.pngWizard! 16.pngWizard! 16.pngWizard! 15.pngWizard! 15.pngWizard! 14.pngWizard! 14.pngCaptain Fantastic 416.JPGCaptain Fantastic 416.JPGCaptain Fantastic 411.JPGCaptain Fantastic 411.JPGCaptain Fantastic 410.JPGCaptain Fantastic 410.JPGCaptain Fantastic 409.JPGCaptain Fantastic 409.JPGCaptain Fantastic 408.JPGCaptain Fantastic 408.JPGCaptain Fantastic 407.JPGCaptain Fantastic 407.JPGCaptain Fantastic 405.JPGCaptain Fantastic 405.JPG

#4 9 years ago

These are probably the nicest CF and Wizard I've ever seen. Very nice work ! That being said, judging by the pictures, I'm a afraid you may have potentially put more into the restoration of these games than you will earn back. I have a feeling what you want to get for them and what someone is going to want to offer you is going to be too far off. There seems to be a finite value EMs tend to bring in (except for KISS for some odd reason). As soon as you add a new CPR playfield you've already added +/-$800 to the final cost. I would say enjoy your hard work and just play the machines if that's still an option. Otherwise good luck with your sale. That CF is beautiful ! They look factory new.

#5 9 years ago

These are sweet. Nice work. Will be interested in the price you are asking.

#6 9 years ago

I'm in no hurry - was thinking 4500 each. That about covers my cost.......Not trying to make money on my labor, just make some room!

#7 9 years ago

Beautiful looking machines, good luck with your sale.

#8 9 years ago

I just picked up a non working CF that my brother and I are in the process of restoring. Now that I've seen your restore I hesitate to call what we are doing a restore lol. Anyway, I checked prices on here when I got it and the last two that sold on here went for $800 and $1,100 and I believe they were working. I'm sure they weren't restored though but I hesitate to think you could get what you want out of yours even as beautiful as they (CF and Wizard) are. You might be able to get it if you have the luxury of holding out and finding the Doctor, Dentist or Lawyer type that just want a beautiful game for their gameroom. There is a place in Dallas that makes a living doing that exact thing so those buyers are out there. My guess for your units would honestly be in the $2,000 - $2,400 range.

Congrats on the beautiful work and good luck with the sale!!

#9 9 years ago

You might want to contact Herb Silvers at Fabulous Fantasies. He might have a client or two looking for just this quality of restore. You might be able to make a deal. Unfortunately, there aren't many people willing to pay that kind of money regardless of how nice it looks (and your are truly stunning!) But there are a few. You just have to be able to find each other.

#10 9 years ago

I agree, at $4000-$4500 for the pair I would be in but at $9000 there is just now way.

#11 9 years ago

saw both of these posted to craigslist and almost wrote just to say fantastic machines. really beautiful. love CF but as others have said - very specific buyer looking for examples of that quality + that kind of cash. so gorgeous, why don't you keep and get rid of other pins? what did Elton John ever do to you?!

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

There seems to be a finite value EMs tend to bring in (except for KISS for some odd reason).

I've been looking for an EM Kiss. Must be complete with a decent BG. Anyone have one for sale?

#13 9 years ago

Do not think there was ever an EM Kiss.

#14 9 years ago

I really like this post First, beautiful machines ! I have been having conversations with friends about a nice EM restore. My conclusion was that if you are doing it for yourself and enjoyment..GREAT. If you are looking to get anywhere near to your $ out, no way. I am working on a Jumping Jack right now. I purchased for about $400. I am touching up the playfield and redoing the cabinet. All the pieces and parts are into a few hundred dollars let alone the posts and such. Needed a new coin door as well. This game will only be worth say $700 at best when I am done. I really have enjoyed learning and am looking forward to another crack at a better restore with say a playfield swap.
I may or may not sell it as I have the room but the satisfaction in "rescuing" a game from the scrap heap made it all worth while. I agree with the above post that you should enjoy both or sell them at market value and not be to unhappy when it is less than what you have in it.

#15 9 years ago

I may just keep them but then I only have room for one more machine! They are beautiful but don't really get played because of the competition at the house from the other machines......
So how much would you say a Flash Gordon (1980 SS) machine restored like this would be worth? I recently did one and replaced all the boards, playfield swap, chromed the metal.....the works. It was a friend's machine and the deal was I would bring it back and if he liked it at the end of the day, he just paid me for the parts. If he didn't like it, I would keep the machine.
Here are some pics....care to guess the expense?FG 4.JPGFG 4.JPGFG 3.JPGFG 3.JPGFG 2.JPGFG 2.JPG

FG 1.JPGFG 1.JPG
#16 9 years ago
Quoted from eyeguypec:

I'm in no hurry - was thinking 4500 each. That about covers my cost.......Not trying to make money on my labor, just make some room!

say what? you realize these are em right? em hardly fetch any value. not good restore candidates if you want to get your money back. glwts i guess...

#17 9 years ago

Nice work! You could get your ask if you find the right buyer if done 100% (pass as if NIB). There are very few of them that are willing to go that high for late 70s EMs but they are out there. The main board on the CF should be cleaner though to get that kind of money, new labels and coil wrappers as well. The Wizard is pretty clean from what I can see but the CF looks like it needed that extra love to get it over the top.

#18 9 years ago

You are right, the Wizard! is a much better restore than the CF.

#19 9 years ago

I agree with others here as well. These machines look absolutely incredible, easily better than any machine I've ever owned. Unfortunately, they'll be a very tough sell unless someone is looking for that exact machine and has lots of spare cash to throw around. 4500 is tough for an EM, when newer SS games are more desirable and in the same price range. I wish you the best of luck. Your work is amazing! This fellow Long Islander tips his hat to you!

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

say what? you realize these are em right? em hardly fetch any value. not good restore candidates if you want to get your money back. glwts i guess...

that is two of the nicest ems I have seen, you pay for quality and to have a super duper cherry title or titles like this.

I would def put each of them between 4-5000. these are serious collector quality and not the typical players you see all the time, HENCE the price!

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from rollinover:

that is two of the nicest ems I have seen, you pay for quality and to have a super duper cherry title or titles like this.
I would def put each of them between 4-5000. these are serious collector quality and not the typical players you see all the time, HENCE the price!

HaHa of course you think those 2 titles are worth $4500 each, you own KISS. The most inexplicably expensive pinball machine in existence .

#22 9 years ago

EMs can and do sell for up to $5k and more. You are paying for restoration services more than the game at this point though.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from rollinover:

the collector quality market has never made sense to me. i buy to play.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

HaHa of course you think those 2 titles are worth $4500 each, you own KISS. The most inexplicably expensive pinball machine in existence .

kiss is ss....?

#25 9 years ago

Your games are absolutely worth what you are asking. The only thing is waiting for the right buyer.

I sold an unboxed in 2005 CF for 4k, so its just waiting/knowing the right buyer

#26 9 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback! Since its boating season, I have no need to make room in the workshop right now for more projects, so I will just sit on them - I have no need to sell them other than the space issues. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-captain-fantastic-and-wizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.