You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Looking for a price check on Gottlieb Black hole. I found one local to me, and the seller is asking $1,100 where the BP guide suggests a little over 800. Not much more info on the machine at this point other than the disclaimer of a little work is needed. Anything I should look at in terms of common failures, rare parts and or expensive repairs?

This will being considered as my first pin. Any thoughts or concerns would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Pinsiders.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 11 years ago

BH is a great game. For a first machine, I can't recommend it as they can be very challenging to work on. Some things to look for:

1. Battery damage on the MPU
2. Ground mods done
3. Ribbon cable between MPU/Driver - see if the connectors have been replaced (any other connector replacements as well)
4. Sound / speech board. Make sure this is working. The sound generator chip used for speech isn't available (or if you do find it, will cost $$)
5. Wear on the upper playfield by pop bumpers is common
6. Spinning backbox. Original motors often burned out or very loud
7. Backglasses are tough to come by in nice shape if a replacement is necessary.

Generally, all parts are fairly common and available from PBR. I love my BH, but it definitely took some time to get it there. If it's your first any only machine, I'd definitely recommend getting something that's working all the way unless you enjoy a repair challenge. Good luck!

#3 11 years ago

If the game is phsically in nice shape then this is a decent price. They can go higher if all the required ground mods have been done. The wiring harness connectors were cheaply made on Black Hole and can make for big headaches if not done. I wouldnt let mine go for less than $1500 with all the ground and connector mods done. Bad ass game for its time but some electronic items were made cheaply.

Mike
www.HabosArcade.com

#4 11 years ago

Yep, mine's very nice I'd say 1400-1500. My favorite game in my collection. Average 800.

#5 11 years ago

Grab it NOW! I just got mine working with the help of a pair of great techs, Kelly and Troy! Its an awesome game and you will not be disappointed.

#6 11 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses. I have looked at the pin repair guides and it looks to be a basket case if all original. ( need for new connectors and having to ground the whole thing.) I do like the game and when all lit up it looks like a art piece.

Has anyone put in Led's in a BH and have you needed to reduce the voltage to the bulbs?

Thanks.

#7 11 years ago

So u2sean recommendations are spot on.

seriously for a first pin this isnt a great decision if you are not mechanically or electrically minded.
That said.. 1100 isnt a crazy price if it has a clean and non damaged playfield, plastic, or back glass.

All the problems you read.. are around mostly the ground issues. Which are very quickly and easily remedied. Second to that are some electrical modifications to transistor areas (not on the main PCB/MPU) these are also easy and quick fixes if you are handy with a soldering iron and component soldering.

So if your confident as a tinker-er no worries if the PF and Back Glass look awesome for a 31 year old pinball.

If you are not, this is not the best pony to ride for your first rodeo. If you damage particular areas they are likely not replaceable, or come at a significant cost to replace. Turning your $1100 game into a $2000 game, and that price will be hard to recoup.

I just picked one up in awesome shape for $1500 it was basically "new" its likely my 3rd favorite game in my collection right now. this game is epic.

as far as LED's they are 99% plug and play. the only bulbs you can not simply "plug" are the ~8 bulbs that illuminate the "lower playfield" (again this is about a 5 min fix with a solder iron) you could however just leave the "orginal 24v lights" in place and replace all other bulbs with LED if you chose to.

@Fishbeadtwo thanks! it was fun getting your game up and running, I should mention its because of your game - I pulled the trigger on buying my own.

-Kelly

#8 11 years ago

without the mods BH is a terrible machine for a first pin IMO.
Spudge has a BH that's about as nice as it gets. I'm almost sad I passed it up, it is one of the greats of the era. Fish has what's probably avg. to above avg. cond. BH and it's not any less fun to play. sweet game

#9 11 years ago

Pay attention to Kneissl and Spudgun. They are great techs and very good teachers. I bet if you end up getting the basket case they could coax you through all it takes to make it run sweet.

#10 11 years ago

Thanks guys for all the feedback.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-black-hole-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.