image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

I have a Black Belt I'm thinking of selling at an upcoming pin show. since it is a relatively rare and don't come up for sale too often, I wanted to get thoughts on a fair price. Overall, it is in pretty good shape. Worst is the back glass which is flaking and the previous owner used clear packing tape to keep from flaking off. Now, the tape can't come off without removing the artwork.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2 7 years ago

Under play field and cab inside are clean and in good shape.

#3 7 years ago

Ouch -- looks like some serious cab fade! I love this game -- but unfortunately it's just Not worth much even with its rarity. I'd expect 900 to 1200 maybe... seen a few examples go for around that .. then again someone might really want it and pay 1600, who knows? I'd personally go 1600 obo and take the best offer, which may be much lower.

#4 7 years ago

I thought the same about the cab, but I think that is pretty close to how it came. Both sides are the same and matches photos I've seen. Maybe faded a bit, but I haven't seen another in person.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

I thought the same about the cab, but I think that is pretty close to how it came. Both sides are the same and matches photos I've seen. Maybe faded a bit, but I haven't seen another in person.

My parents bought one back in the 90s and it's been in their basement ever since -- could have sworn those sides were pretty red but I could be mis-remembering, haven't taken a good look at it in a long time.

Have countless hours on this game though -- fun family game, super clear rules and the music progression keeps it exciting as you advance

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

My parents bought one back in the 90s and it's been in their basement ever since -- could have sworn those sides were pretty red but I could be mis-remembering, haven't taken a good look at it in a long time.
Have countless hours on this game though -- fun family game, super clear rules and the music progression keeps it exciting as you advance

That is pretty awesome! Do you think they could snap a photo of the cab and send it to you to post here? I am curious to know. It is a pretty fun game (one of my favorite skill shots) and has a good 80's karate campy feel to it. I'm happy to have had it for a while and can't wait to bring it to Zapcon for others to play.

#7 7 years ago

Bump for more thoughts.

#8 7 years ago

900 tops with that glass and cab. I agree it looks faded.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

That is pretty awesome! Do you think they could snap a photo of the cab and send it to you to post here? I am curious to know. It is a pretty fun game (one of my favorite skill shots) and has a good 80's karate campy feel to it. I'm happy to have had it for a while and can't wait to bring it to Zapcon for others to play.

I'll see if they are game and post a pic if so..

Agreed about skill shot, very hard to hit that extra ball on ball 3 off the skill

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

900 tops with that glass and cab. I agree it looks faded.

Unfortunately this is prob more realistic, no way to get another backglass although you CAN still get Greg to autograph one at a show personally I'd overpay for one if I had room so there's prob a few others that would too

#11 7 years ago

Pulled an image from IPDB -- it rocks the pink on black from the 80s. The one I have is faded by comparison.

image-2 (resized).jpgimage-2 (resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

^^ Yes, that pic from IPDB is about accurate as to what they were from factory. I actually have a HUO Black Belt, and yours is "faded" by comparison, although I'd argue both that it's a generic cabinet, so who really cares and even the non-faded cabinet looks like a faded cabinet just because of how they made them, so...

As for a price, it all depends on what you're looking for. If I was selling yours, I would put a price of about $1500 on it and see what happens, dialing it back from there. But, if you want to sell it at the show itself, you may want to start lower (like $1000) and be willing to take even less.

Black Belt is a considerably rare game, and has some neat features - the upside down flipper isn't on any other machines that I know of. Because of that, there are a few people who it will command a premium from - I have had offers for more than $1500 on mine, and mine is a project that isn't currently working... although it is HUO as mentioned, so the condition of it is stupid good.

Good luck - it's never easy to sell a rare game like that and feel like you're pricing it just right

#14 7 years ago

Seems like you get more at shows, I would price it $1300

#15 7 years ago

This is one weird game.

I can't say I love it but it is fun when you nail the dude in the balls and he goes "OOOOOhhhhh!"

#16 7 years ago

It is very weird game. Between the crotch shot, the backwards flipper, the double entrance ramp, and the 80s sound, there is nothing quite like it. I'm glad to bring it to a show for others to play and I hope someone gets a chance to take it home. Thanks for all the input.
Sounds like a fair price is somewhere between $900-$1200. I'll probably price it around $1100-$1200, and see if there is interest, how badly I want to sell it, and if there is another game I want to bring home.

#17 7 years ago

Fun and unique game!
I sold mine for 750 in above average condition.

#18 7 years ago

I sold mine in nice condition with a perfect BG about 2 years ago for 800.
I'd have think with the upswing in price over the last year or so you could get a bit more but the BG could keep the price down a bit since its basically unobtainable.

#19 7 years ago

I sold one two years ago for 850 with an extra playfield and a few other parts. My playfield was not as nice as yours the sun plastic in the middle was all messed up but the spare playfield was pretty nice. If I had room I would love to have one back. It has to be pretty rare because I have seen more parts than I have seen fully working games and from what I know half of them left the states so out of 300 how many could be left less than 150ish... I would say 1000-1100 would be a fair price for yours.
Joe

#20 7 years ago

Kicking myself for passing on one in my neck of the woods a few years ago, I think it was around $900.

#21 7 years ago

I see what you did there.

#22 7 years ago

I'd say 1200-1300. And I am laughing at that battery bag! Stick an NVRAM in there, the RAM is already socketed and it's plug and play.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

It is very weird game. Between the crotch shot, the backwards flipper, the double entrance ramp, and the 80s sound, there is nothing quite like it. I'm glad to bring it to a show for others to play and I hope someone gets a chance to take it home. Thanks for all the input.
Sounds like a fair price is somewhere between $900-$1200. I'll probably price it around $1100-$1200, and see if there is interest, how badly I want to sell it, and if there is another game I want to bring home.

Would have been interested if on the right side of the ocean! I own a Zaccaria blackbelt (owned one, sold it, took 4 years to find another one) and a nice backglass of Bally Black belt.

Would make a nice pair and a nice complement to the four black belts in the family... the ones you get by sweating on a tatami...

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Would make a nice pair and a nice complement to the four black belts in the family... the ones you get by sweating on a tatami...

Man, would have saved you all a lot of work just to have the pin!!! Lol, probably reach black belt in an hour or so, no sweat!

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

right side of the ocean

It is a long, long haul between Begles and Tucson (wine is much better in Begles).

#26 7 years ago

Regret selling mine that was in mint condition, about a year ago, for $1200. The theme hits home for me (my avatar might be a giveaway), so I'd start there and then decide if you'd be willing to accept less knowing you might not easily find another.

FYI, the cab is faded but it's not the pink, but the "brown" is supposed to be red.

#27 7 years ago

I'm excited to play this at zapcon I've never even seen one before

#28 7 years ago

My roommate just sold his for 1900cdn. Cointaker super brights all around and in really good condition.

1 year later
#29 5 years ago

wayout440
The one you passed on is probably the one I bought for $800. I love playing this pin although the ramp needs replaced. My ramp was literally melted from the huge bulb under the Karate guy (as was many of the plastics above the other huge bulbs) and the wood around that bulb's hole is actually charred black like you'd see in a burnt down house!! It was that way when I bought it but didn't realize it until I started tearing it down for restoration. Of course I haven't been able to locate a replacement ramp BUT I was able to purchase two wired and mostly populated Black Belt playfields from Steve Young at Pinball Resource.

I just went to NY last week to pick them up. Unfortunately Steve had sold the ramps off of them a long time ago. Steve told me these two PFs were never in production machines. They were in the factory for testing purposes only. One of them is in near mint shape so it will replace my charred PF.

The great thing is I just got PM'd by Freeplay40 stating he is going to reproduce the ramps in a limited run in 6-8 weeks. I will probably get two to three of them. So if anyone is needing one, now is the time to let him know you're interested. He is currently thinking around $150 but of course that depends on interest and orders. It may go up or down. Just PM him for more information.

After I use what I need from the two PF's I got from Pinball Resource, I'll probably be open to parting with some of the remaining parts to those that love this game as much as I do and may be in need of so they can bring one more back to life.

P.S. I have already had two offers over $1500 for this pin as is so I believe the interest in it is increasing. I believe it's a great pin that's under-rated and was one of the best rated during it's time period but suffered from the video craze at the time. The more people that play it the more it is appreciated so please resurrect any of them that may still exist (which is not many I'm sure!)

DSC00313 (resized).JPGDSC00313 (resized).JPGDSC00314 (resized).JPGDSC00314 (resized).JPG
#30 5 years ago

If you start parting those I need a small plastic that sits by the right entrance to the ramp, mine is cracked. I’m glad to hear Mark is reproducing a few ramps — I hadn’t heard that, but I got my proto yellow ramp over to him to look at a while ago to see if it was small enough to do with his set up. I’m curious if either of your factory pfs have repairs / holes from mechs during design that got removed/changed? I have what I believe to be a dev Playfield with a large hole that was cut and repaired, and a few similar things as well as the yellow main ramp. Trying to confirm if there’s any others that had this?

#31 5 years ago

Would be interesting to see this game retheme’d to a Karate Kid or Cobra Kai.

#32 5 years ago

zprobowler Did you get the game near me? If I remember correctly, it was for sale in Berea at the time. I had thought about it from the pics, but had never played the game until I played it at a show later. Quite unique, and I really like the colors and art.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.00
Tools
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-bally-black-belt-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.