Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by NathanP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

What is the going rate for an IJ these days? I'm looking at several, ranging from something close to CQ to ones that need some cabinet work (but the playfields look good), so curious as to what would be a fair market price.

Also, what are the key items to look for on one of these machines?

#2 10 years ago

low 4000 to 6500.

1 week later
#3 10 years ago

Can anyone give me some tips on what to look for on these machines? I'm going to see one this weekend, would be helpful to know any common issues. Also, anything on this that's a total pain to work on, is it a nightmare of sorts like a STTNG can be?

#4 10 years ago

I've got an IJ for sale in Cincinnati, OH that would be at the upper end of the price spectrum. I'm asking $6500 for a machine with new decals installed, original mylared playfield, plenty of mods/extras, PDI glass, etc...

#5 10 years ago

Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for on an IJ? I've heard the ruins plastics can be an issue, not sure what else...

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from PenthousePinball:

I've got an IJ for sale in Cincinnati, OH that would be at the upper end of the price spectrum. I'm asking $6500 for a machine with new decals installed, original mylared playfield, plenty of mods/extras, PDI glass, etc...

Thanks, sounds nice, but a bit out of my price range.

#7 10 years ago

If it needs a decal job, don't pay any more than $4K. They're expensive and there's a lot of labor involved. I have purchased two in the past year for $3,600 and $3,500 each and both were 100% working but extensive cabinet fade. Totally restored $6,500-$7K. Make sure the mini playfield and idol work flawlessly or avoid it altogether.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from devlman:

If it needs a decal job, don't pay any more than $4K. They're expensive and there's a lot of labor involved. I have purchased two in the past year for $3,600 and $3,500 each and both were 100% working but extensive cabinet fade. Totally restored $6,500-$7K. Make sure the mini playfield and idol work flawlessly or avoid it altogether.

Out of curiosity, why are the mini PF and idol deal killers? Looks like parts are available for them, are they ridiculously hard to repair?

Not questioning the validity of the statement, just curious as I've never owned an IJ.

#9 10 years ago

IMO, they aren't. Just a simple motor and an opto board. It's a popular game that they made of ton of, lots of parts available.

Dialing this game in is a bitch though. You need strong flippers to make the right ramp, the mode start sucks dialing in, the POA needs to be perfectly level and adjusted...

But once dialed in, the game is awesome and should be trouble free for a long time.

Quoted from RDReynolds:

Out of curiosity, why are the mini PF and idol deal killers?

#10 10 years ago

I have 2 for sale in the market place. willing to deal on 1 of them. pm me

#11 10 years ago

Damn Gwax, timing is everything. I was looking for the longest time and picked one up recently but had a 3hr drive. I would have loved to picked one up local! Might you have a Barracora you'd be willing to part with?

#12 10 years ago

Mine was $5k with shipping and an uninstalled decal set, so I'd say the pin itself cost about $4,200. I would love to have picked one of these up for $3,500, but I've never seen that deal. The price I paid was pretty typical, from what I've seen.

#13 10 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their help. I found one about three hours away that had been sitting in a basement virtually unplayed for the last 14 years. Game looks really nice, save for a bit of fade on one side of the cabinet. Was planning on doing all kinds of work on it this weekend, but it's already pretty much working perfectly save for one switch on the POA. Hopefully that won't be too painful.

#14 10 years ago

you'll have to pull the entire poa out to replace that switch. There is a system to taking that out. Its gone over quite well in the manual if you have one. You have to take off the side ball return and the bridge across the back to access it.

#15 10 years ago

Ah, missed that in the manual. See it now, doesn't look impossible.

#16 10 years ago

Nice pickup RD

I saw that you had posted on IPPL that you bought a IJ.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Ah, missed that in the manual. See it now, doesn't look impossible.

Be very careful about popping the wires off of the switch for the ball stop right before the path of adventure entrance. I did that on mine and it was a real bitch to fix.

#18 10 years ago

Congrats RD welcome to the IJ club! Did they remove the batteries or did they last that long? Enjoy!

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Out of curiosity, why are the mini PF and idol deal killers? Looks like parts are available for them, are they ridiculously hard to repair?
Not questioning the validity of the statement, just curious as I've never owned an IJ.

Sorry, should have said make sure idol itself is good/there (you're right that function is not hard to fix) as this is not replaceable as far as I know. Mini PF can just be a pain to work on so it saves a lot of work if it functions.

#20 10 years ago

I lucked out, as both those assemblies were in tact and working perfectly, save for a lone switch on the POA.

#21 10 years ago

also make sure when you take a picture of the bottom of the poa beforehand. You will likely have to move around some of the wires underneath to get the old switch out and the new switch in. In this process you may not get them exactly back as they were. I had a wire in the way of one of the dropholes when I put it back on. I had to take it all apart and start over. So make sure your dropholes are clear the wires are strapped down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,500 (OBO)
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

14,000 (OBO)
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,419.00
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 85.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-and-what-to-look-for-ij and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.