Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140329_205251.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I'm trying to buy a "family friendly" machine for my mom's new house. She wants one the grandkids can play with. A guy offered me a Comet for $1400. Here's what he said he's done to it recently:

"New star posts, new lane guides, new rubber kit, new balls, new dunk the dummy, rabbit, and duck decals, new coil sleeves, new flippers with super bands, 2 newer displays, the whole playfield is non ghosting leds, full led backbox, replugged the power supply G/I, and it's been cleaned,polished,waxed."

What do you guys think?

#2 10 years ago

Sounds like in nice shape, and seems like it needs little work, but still maybe a tad bit overpriced. He also didn't talk about what condition the BG is or the ramps either. Fun family game, but a bit overpriced.~SpOoKy

#3 10 years ago

You can find a game for $1400 that is a lot more fun to play than comet. I just sold a comet that was in excellent condition for a good deal less than that. While comet is a cool sentimental favorite from the 80's, I have a lethal weapon 3 that cost less than 1400 that is a lot more fun to play. You should also be able to find a cyclone, one of comet's sister pins, for around 1400 and that too is far more entertaining than comet and very family friendly. My 5 yr old plays both cyclone and LW3 all the time and loves them both.

#4 10 years ago

All depends on what the playfield and BG looks like.

Carefully check the ramps for cracks, especially the corkscrew, check for wear through the 1986 at the top, check for wear at the cycle jump kick out, Check for broken plastic at Dummy and Funhouse, check for cracked cycle jump plastic thing with the 3 holes.

Comet was a giant money maker, and they made a ton of them. In one bar that caters to 20 year olds, Comet outearns AFM by a wide margin. My guess is that women play it because it is approachable.

#5 10 years ago

Way too much IMHO! Parts are hard to come by and expensive when you can find them. The absolute most important part to inspect is the clear center ramp. Unscrew it and inspect it. They don't make a replacement for it and it's almost impossible to find a replacement. One just sold on Ebay today for $366 plus shipping. $400 Just for one ramp is a lot of money. The last one I saw for sale on Ebay before that was over a year ago. You can get remakes of the Cycle ramp and cork screw but not the center ramp. The playfield is almost always wore down to the wood. The clear that they used back then was not very durable and they got played to death. Like sckurk said, it's a sentimental favorite but it will get boring in a hurry if you constantly play it. I know just about everything there is to know about this pin. It's my personal "Holy Grail"! In fact, I'm the person that just bought the Comet from sckurk so now I own 2 of them. If you need more advice, feel free to P.M. me. I would be glad to help you out. Good luck! BigB

#6 10 years ago

If you wanted to spend around $1000, Comet would be a great choice. Once you get up closer to the $1400-1500 range, there seem to be more choices. Here's a link to a discussion on pinside recently -

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pin-for-1500

#7 10 years ago

$1400 is too high. I own and love Comet for nostalgic reasons, but the game just isn't worth much. There's an absolutely beautiful one on klov for $950 right now... It's missing the center ramp decal, but otherwise looks super sweet:

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=305664

#8 10 years ago

The one on KLOV is the one discussed above that BigB just bought. He'll be happy that you confirmed that it looks great!

#9 10 years ago

Yeah!!!

#10 10 years ago

I love the comet, but 1400 is too much. Leather weapon 3 is not a family friendly game. Comet is top notch for kids and the older generation. Easy to understand and approachable. Most had mylar on the bulk of the play field but it was often removed. Who is the pin really for? You or the family? You can't go wrong with this title for grandkids, but 1400 feels steep. It will be tough to get your money back.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Leather weapon 3 is not a family friendly game.

Tell that to my 5 year old. It's his favorite game

#12 10 years ago

LW3 is a very fun game but at $1400 i'd go with LAST ACTION HERO super fun w/shaker motor and magnets its the BOMB out of the 8 pins i have this game surprises everyone and they keep going back to it. COMET was good for its time. i have a cyclone and a hurricane i enjoy them more than comet. OP checkout a LAH you and the kids will love it!

#13 10 years ago

I'm wanting to buy an LAH in our area in that price range. I agree, it is more fun than LW3 just wasn't sure it was available for that.

#14 10 years ago

I just sold a Comet machine for $425. I also sold a NOS main ramp for $200.
$1400 is waaaay too high.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from sckurk:

I'm wanting to buy an LAH in our area in that price range. I agree, it is more fun than LW3 just wasn't sure it was available for that.

they seem to be asking $1800 plus for LAH in my area but at $1800 they are sitting not sure of condition of the games i bought mine for $1100 two years ago and its mint and the fun factor puts it over the top i know i would not let mine go for $1800 but that does not mean you cant find one for less GL you will find one and you will be glad you did!

#16 10 years ago

I paid $1K for my Cyclone....and sold it for $1500....but put about $700 into it....hmm....I'm doing something wrong. LOL.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I just sold a Comet machine for $425. I also sold a NOS main ramp for $200.
$1400 is waaaay too high.

There was a NOS on Ebay that just sold for $325. I assume that wasn't yours cuz of the price discrepancy?

And yes, that wasn't a typo!

#18 10 years ago

If your talking about the NOS Comet ramp, that was/is mine. Sold for $374.60

#19 10 years ago

I love the comet. Totally worth it. This is the machine I bought for my parents for the exact same reason, grandparents need a machine for the kids.

20140329_205251.jpg20140329_205251.jpg

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

I love the comet. Totally worth it.

20140329_205251.jpg 223 KB

Indeed

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

There was a NOS on Ebay that just sold for $325. I assume that wasn't yours cuz of the price discrepancy?
And yes, that wasn't a typo!

The one that I sold only went for $200.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

I love the comet. Totally worth it. This is the machine I bought for my parents for the exact same reason, grandparents need a machine for the kids.

I'm hearing a lot of votes for $1400 being way too high, and a couple for being worth it. When all is said and done, a machine is really only worth what you're willing to pay for it, right? I do think $1400 is too high, but I'll probably get it for not much less than that. Comet is the one my mom wants for the grandkids, and she's willing to pay a little bit of a premium as long as I can determine that it's been fixed up nicely. As soon as I can get in to see it, I'll take a look to see the condition.

Thanks everybody!

#23 10 years ago

5 million is a crazy good score on this machine too.

#24 10 years ago

As a dealer, I would say $1400 is fair if it is nice, clean and working, and it is a game you want. I do agree with others that say there a far better, long term options out there for the same money though. We just sold a near mint one for close to two grand, so its all relative. Bottom line....if you think you and your family would like it, then it is the right game for you folks. Try and offer $1200....that is not asking for much off, and that gets it closer to it's real value. You should have no problem getting $800-$1200 later on, and any depreciation will be offset by the fun you will all have with it. IF you can find a Cyclone for around $1200, like someone else here mentioned (I have my doubts....we can't even find them wholesale for that, but you never know) I would agree it would be a far better choice. It was the sequel and a fine game. Dealer price for those is $1995-$2495 depending on condition though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Hilton, NY
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 18.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-and-advice-comet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.