(Topic ID: 33048)

Price Check: AFM vs MB? How much cash difference?

By Cam

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by teekee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

If both are in the same average condition, how much cash difference?
I'm not sure I want to move my AFM yet as I have barely played it but MB's don't come up very often......
It's hard to keep up in this hobby so any input would be cool!

#2 11 years ago

About the same.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

About the same.

No.

MB is more. Always has been. AFM has closed the gap though. You will see at least twice as many AFMs for sale in a month than you will MBs. I go through pins pretty fast and regularly. I've had my MB for 13 months now, far longer than any pin I've owned.

MB is at least $1k higher than AFM in the same condition in my opinion. And probably more than that.

#4 11 years ago

1k ain't $hit in my book.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

1k ain't $hit in my book.

Nice!

By the way, and this doesn't mean that much, but I've received quite a few PMs here at Pinside over the last 6 months or so requesting that I let them know if/when I ever decide to sell my MB. That doesn't happen with the other pins that I've owned (including AFM).

#6 11 years ago

Boston pinball shows 10 afm sold this year at an average of 7845 and 6 mb with an ave of $8473. I'm doing this math in my head but that's about 8 percent more???

#7 11 years ago

and I just sold my mb for less than an afm, dang!

#8 11 years ago

they are both are great games but my MB will be around long after AFM is gone.....

#9 11 years ago

I may end up selling both my AFM and MB. But not today. MB is definitely worth more - don't come up that often.

#10 11 years ago

There is indeed a small glut of AFMs currently FS vs. virtually no MBs by comparison.

Noteworthy, since the production numbers are essentially identical at approximately 3400 games.

Supply and demand would obviously apply here (as always).

I think Rob's analysis would therefore be accurate.

#11 11 years ago

Thanks guys, I guess I should have remembered to check the Boston pinball site!

#12 11 years ago

Another point...seems like natural AFM's are usually much more beaten up than MB (which might also explain the price difference). AFM's a classic, but I prefer MB and think it deserves to be priced higher.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Boston pinball shows 10 afm sold this year at an average of 7845 and 6 mb with an ave of $8473. I'm doing this math in my head but that's about 8 percent more???

That's fairly consistent with what I said (almost twice as many AFMs sold as MBs) although it doesn't show a $1k price gap (it shows MB selling for $628.00 more).

Then again, we obviously don't know the difference in condition between the AFMs and MBs that are in that sales data. For all we know all 10 of those AFMs could have been HUO!

#14 11 years ago

definetly see more afms for sale than mb's. wont sell either one of mine, waited long enough to get really nice ones. will have to agree with about a 1k difference

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

No.
MB is more. Always has been. AFM has closed the gap though. You will see at least twice as many AFMs for sale in a month than you will MBs. I go through pins pretty fast and regularly. I've had my MB for 13 months now, far longer than any pin I've owned.
MB is at least $1k higher than AFM in the same condition in my opinion. And probably more than that.

Seems like about 5 to 1 lately
There has been a lot of AFM for sale lately
I wish a slew of MM pins would hit the market

#16 11 years ago

Someone scooped it on me a 1/2 hour before I got there to check it out, good thing too! as it couldn't have been any in any rougher condition, complete with cabinet decal peel that was hand painted to mask it almost all the way to the coin door on both sides.
Oh well I guess I'll just keep my AFM that I didn't want to move anyways........

#17 11 years ago

Agree that MB sells for just a touch more then MB but still feel AFM is the superior game. I'm enjoying my MB but am in the process of working out another deal to get AFM back in my collection. IMO the best game out there not including ACDC....

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You will see at least twice as many AFMs for sale in a month than you will MBs.

Do you think this has anything to do with AFM's recent spike in value? MB has been a higher priced pin for so long that all of those owners who were tempted to cash out have done so long ago and now those games are in the hands of owners who are willing to hang onto it despite it's high value. I suspect the same thing is happening with AFM as those who used to like it at $3500-4000 are not valuing it enough to hold onto it now that it's worth $7-10K (depending on condition). Just a THOUGHT. I am not trying to say you are wrong, you do see them less frequently and i've offered a reason (which may be incorrect).

This says nothing about value but it is interesting because it seems like AFM is preferred 2 over MB. I would be curious how the MM votes would be distributed if it wasn't in the mix.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-three-mm-af-mb-vote

#19 11 years ago

I think your synopsis is very valid Dave.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Another point...seems like natural AFM's are usually much more beaten up than MB (which might also explain the price difference). AFM's a classic, but I prefer MB and think it deserves to be priced higher.

Higher? Seems to to demand a decent amount of coin.

Quoted from davewtf:

Do you think this has anything to do with AFM's recent spike in value? MB has been a higher priced pin for so long that all of those owners who were tempted to cash out have done so long ago and now those games are in the hands of owners who are willing to hang onto it despite it's high value. I suspect the same thing is happening with AFM as those who used to like it at $3500-4000 are not valuing it enough to hold onto it now that it's worth $7-10K (depending on condition). Just a THOUGHT. I am not trying to say you are wrong, you do see them less frequently and i've offered a reason (which may be incorrect).
This says nothing about value but it is interesting because it seems like AFM is preferred 2 over MB. I would be curious how the MM votes would be distributed if it wasn't in the mix.

I too think this a pretty decent theory on the glut of AFMs FS.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

YES!

And in fact this analysis is consistent with what I said in terms of MB always being worth quite a bit more than AFM *until recently* when AFM started closing the gap.

Once a couple of average/nice (unrestored) AFMs broke the $8k sales barrier, you had a deluge of AFMs go up for sale. I think that your assumptions definitely have validity to them.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Higher? Seems to to demand a decent amount of coin.

I think you are misinterpreting my comment...what I meant to say is "I prefer MB and think it deserves to be priced higher than AFM". I excluded the "than AFM" because I thought it was clear based on my previous comment. All speculation anyway

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I think you are misinterpreting my comment...what I meant to say is "I prefer MB and think it deserves to be priced higher than AFM". I excluded the "than AFM" because I thought it was clear based on my previous comment. All speculation anyway

I was reading it wrong.

#24 11 years ago

AFM over MB for me. As far as value definitely a little higher on MB ($500-$1000). There's been a flood of AFM's over the past 8-12months. Everything goes in cycles. A year ago no AFM's for sale now tons. MB will be the same way sooner or later...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.50
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

16,500 (OBO)
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-afm-vs-mb-how-much-cash-difference and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.