Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by yonkiman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC07547.JPG
DSC07544.JPG
DSC07543.JPG
DSC07542.JPG
DSC07541.JPG
DSC07539.JPG
DSC07538.JPG
imagesCA9BSQGK.jpg

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Like I said it is possible but sorry its not REALISTIC... sorry... NOT REALISTIC... sorry again.

Well it actually happened.

If someone priced their AFM in average condition at 18k, I doubt you would say a word about REALISTIC...in fact, I suspect if someone came out and said "that price is not REALISTIC, you'd jump on that poster yelling "PRICE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!" again...

When there's evidence of people paying less that 6k for an average AFM, you jump to the podium saying "FOLKS THIS IS NOT REALISTIC...MOVE ON, NOTHING MORE TO SEE HERE"...

It's like a pump and dump scheme.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Well it actually happened.
If someone priced their AFM in average condition at 18k, I doubt you would say a word about REALISTIC...in fact, I suspect if someone came out and said "that price is not REALISTIC, you'd jump on that poster yelling "PRICE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!" again...
When there's evidence of people paying less that 6k for an average AFM, you jump to the podium saying "FOLKS THIS IS NOT REALISTIC...MOVE ON, NOTHING MORE TO SEE HERE"...
It's like a pump and dump scheme.

I am going to play the lotto tonight cuz its VERY REALISTIC I will win. I mean people win right? Its happened so its realistic to think I will win right?

I don't bother people on how they price their pins because the market will let them know. Damn right I would be yelling if the Price Police came a crying! They deserved to be crushed! If they ask about price you can tell them but if they don't ask the market will tell them. Good rule to live by, try it!

#53 7 years ago

I think someone scoring an AFM below 6k probably is more realistic than winning the lotto. (:

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

I think someone scoring an AFM below 6k probably is more realistic than winning the lotto. (:

This I will agree with... but just barely!

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

This happens in almost every price check or for sale thread here.

Quoted from NPO:

Coincidentally enough, it only seems to happen in the "HOW MUCH...?" game threads.

Have you looked at pretty much EVERY for sale thread here for any mid 90s DMD game?

#56 7 years ago

Don't bother..
I'm gonna win it tonight and buy a $4k BSD!

And no.. you can't stop me

So did we every get the OP that price check? I actually more confuse now...

Quoted from teekee:

Hawkeyepin said:

This I will agree with... but just barely!

#57 7 years ago

Paid just north of $7k for mine a few weeks ago. It's all original and in nice shape. One of the deciding factors in my case though was I had a personal reference on the seller as well as the machine from someone I knew. I'll pay a little more for peace of mind any day.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

So did we every get the OP that price check? I actually more confuse now...

From the condition he is describing in his original post I would say REALISTICALLY $6500. A blown out working AFM that needs the works $6000. A nice original with little fade and above average playfield $7000 plus.

#59 7 years ago

Roughly 3 years ago, I bought a routed AFM with good bones and a blown out PF for $3,200. Chris Hutchins restored it and brought the cost up to nearly 12k (including shipping/crating/etc.).

So if someone is buying a routed AFM for restoration, it's hard to imagine doing one for less than 14-15k in today's market (assuming it's being done by a top name restorer). Seems unlikely that you'll find a High-end AFM restoration for 10k in today's market...

snaroff

#60 7 years ago

I bought two AFM's from Roel in the Netherlands a couple months ago and paid about $5600 each including shipping. Roel had about 30 Emails asking about the games, at the time.

I will say, thankfully, these weren't bought by someone who wanted something plug and play. They were complete but had lots of cabinet issues and playfield issues. Decent base games for a restoration, though.

I'd say right now, a decent routed AFM is worth $6000, at least. If complete, I'll buy them all for that. Once completely restored with all the AFM mods, I'd say they're worth $13,000 to $14,000.

Every other AFM listed for sale is worth something inbetween.

#61 7 years ago

Realistically...this did not happen. You should play the lottery!

Damn I hope I get some work to do tomorrow...

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I bought two AFM's from Roel in the Netherlands a couple months ago and paid about $5600 each including shipping.

#63 7 years ago

If this was a WOZ thread , Teekee would have been retired !

Got to love Pinside

#64 7 years ago

Realistically...this did not happen. You should play the lottery!
Damn I hope I get some work to do tomorrow...

I tell people all the time, the more of these games that fall into the hands of collectors, the higher the price goes. And this is happening more and more. THIS, is the biggest reason why we see the increase in prices we see these days.

Only my humble opinion, of course.

#65 7 years ago

The funny thing that I just love about these price discussions, particularly when there is major price cheerleading going on . . . is the same people that price cheerlead tend to be people that when pressed say . . . "well I didn't pay that for mine, I got mine for half that" and sometimes they add "but that was two years ago" but more often they just say they happened to be in the right place at the right time and knew the right person.

None of these price cheerleaders will admit to paying $18,000 for a MM or $10,000 for an AFM because they know all the other seasoned people here will chuckle at them (unless we know them to be so wealthy it just doesn't matter).

Jim McCune's comments in this thread are the only thing that gives me pause as he is one of the master restorers of our industry and I take what he says more seriously than just your typical B/W fanboy pin flipper like some of the others that are chearleading in this thread . . . even there though Jim does have somewhat of a conflict of interest (no big deal, just a conflict).

Anyway, pinball is a really fun hobby and price and value are very subjective. I am currently having a Sorcerer get the high end restore and uber blinged out treatment. It is going to cost me a lot of money. Will I think my Sorcerer is worth 5-6k on the open market when I'm done with it...nope...I'm having it done for my own enjoyment. Just because you have X dollars into something doesn't mean that is what it is worth.

#66 7 years ago

We did come up with a price check for the OP. Between around 5k and 6k depending. Anything in that range and you're safe. 6k is an "have to have it now" price. Lower if you can afford to miss a couple before you land one. $4500 is a steal at this point.

#67 7 years ago

And the winning lottery number are....

Whoops..never mind...it's just a $5900 AFM posted today

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-attack-from-mars-3

#68 7 years ago

And the winning lottery number are....

Whoops..never mind...it's just a $5900 AFM posted today

Yep , just what I said . 6K for a machine that needs everything !

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Yep , just what I said . 6K for a machine that needs everything !

Just his asking price. He may be taking less. Let's not all turn into EBay style value basers who say, EBay has one listed for XXX so I know this is worth XXX.

Listing price and actual price received are often times very different.

#70 7 years ago

imagesCA9BSQGK.jpg

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

People get all butt hurt when talking about AFM's value for some reason.

Okay that was funny!

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Listing price and actual price received are often times very different.

Agreed, if the title is not a MB,AFM or MM

#73 7 years ago

I almost don't want to get involved, but I'm going to lean more with teekee and McCune on this. My friend sold an AFM with an absolutely trashed playfield at the Ohio show for $6k before he even had it set up. My other buddy sold a restored flood game AFM there for 10k+. Unless you are talking about re-importing, buying fresh off route from an op, or one that needs a new pf and decals you aren't likely to get one for less than 6.5k, imho. I think a nice original game is going to be closer to 7.5k and up from there.

#74 7 years ago

Just be realistic... It's not that hard! $6500

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

If this was a WOZ thread , Teekee would have been retired !
Got to love Pinside

Hell I called WoZ correctly 2 years ago... I was just being realistic and again it paid off. Now I am retired...

#76 7 years ago

I sold my nice AFM that I had for 10+ years on ebay for 9.5K in less than 24 hours BIN (about 5 months ago). I would think one like the OP is describing (some wear but not blown out) might go for 2-2.5K less.

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Hell I called WoZ correctly 2 years ago... I was just being realistic and again it paid off. Now I am retired...

WoZ!! Don't even let me get started on that! . . . [argument ensues]

#78 7 years ago

Just put my AFM on craigslist for $8k. Let's see what happens!

#79 7 years ago

I bought a routed, non-restored AFM two years ago and paid $5500.00 for it.

From what I understand, pin prices have gone up just a *wee bit* since then.

That infamous $8k AFM that sold on eBay several months back, which was a sale that I saw as having a big impact on the sudden huge rise in the price of AFM, was in pretty average/routed condition, which is why I had a hard time with the price.

That said, it doesn't mean that it was a $5500.00 pin either.

I agree with many others in this thread that say you should expect to pay $6k for an average routed AFM with PF wear and less than ideal condition decals. Prices for a nicer condition AFM will go up quickly/significantly from there, more so than a lot of other pins from that era. Why? Not only because of demand (being an "A" title and a theme that is fantastic, with great game play), but AFM's mostly had the shit played out of them when they were on route. Thus, a good percentage of them are blown out. It's difficult to find a really nice unrestored AFM. So when you do...expect to pay a high premium for it.

2 years later
#80 5 years ago

My how things have changed....except Teekee being wrong.

#81 5 years ago

Buy a new one after MWR!

#82 5 years ago

MMR, should put on my glasses!

#83 5 years ago

Some things haven't changed. People still trying to artificially inflate the market daily.

If you are strictly buying on eBay or through Pinside ads, you will pay more than you will elsewhere. The truth of the matter is that the exposure dictates price. You have mass exposure in both of these outlets, with somewhat of a character/background check attached to it, you can ask about people here. So you pay a little more for that security, and if you don't have a network of pin buddies, then this is a good way to get a new pin safely. I'd recommend Pinside over eBay any day of the week of course.

The other 1/2 of the story is what pins actually sell for vs asking price. I Highly doubt the majority of pins sell for what people ask for them. I've sold 6 games in the last year alone as a smalltime hobbyist, not one sold for what I asked. Same goes for purchases I've made.

Once you have gotten into the hobby though and you make friends, you realize there are really good deals all over the place. You just cannot be so one game-specific and have to be available at any point to pick one up. It is not uncommon to stumble upon great deals all over from other pinhead friends. A 5k decent players AFM is not an impossibility at all, even a few years ago it wasn't.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Some things haven't changed. People still trying to artificially inflate the market daily.
If you are strictly buying on eBay or through Pinside ads, you will pay more than you will elsewhere. The truth of the matter is that the exposure dictates price. You have mass exposure in both of these outlets, with somewhat of a character/background check attached to it, you can ask about people here. So you pay a little more for that security, and if you don't have a network of pin buddies, then this is a good way to get a new pin safely. I'd recommend Pinside over eBay any day of the week of course.
The other 1/2 of the story is what pins actually sell for vs asking price. I Highly doubt the majority of pins sell for what people ask for them. I've sold 6 games in the last year alone as a smalltime hobbyist, not one sold for what I asked. Same goes for purchases I've made.
Once you have gotten into the hobby though and you make friends, you realize there are really good deals all over the place. You just cannot be so one game-specific and have to be available at any point to pick one up. It is not uncommon to stumble upon great deals all over from other pinhead friends. A 5k decent players AFM is not an impossibility at all, even a few years ago it wasn't.

Kind of my thoughts....to me...based on recent pinside sales, AFM is coming down to normal.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Kind of my thoughts....to me...based on recent pinside sales, AFM is coming down to normal.

If you aren't too picky about titles and are open to lots of different games, tons of great deals pop up all the time. If you want one specific game, you just have to be very patient and ask around.

#86 5 years ago

IMHO, the bottom side of prices haven't changed much. A beater AFM is still $4-5kish. But what has changed is the top end. The 5 figure AFM days are gone. Nicely done ones will sit in the mid 7's.

#87 5 years ago

I sold one 4 months ago for $6400. It was routed but in pretty nice shape. It went to a fellow pinsider. Here are pictures.

DSC07538.JPG DSC07539.JPG DSC07541.JPG DSC07542.JPG DSC07543.JPG DSC07544.JPG DSC07547.JPG
#88 5 years ago
Quoted from scasey:

I sold one 4 months ago for $6400. It was routed but in pretty nice shape. It went to a fellow pinsider.

I'm still loving the AFM I bought from you 18 months ago. Of course I had to buy it at the peak of the AFM pricing bubble ( / ), but I haven't regretted it for a second.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
The Oc, CA
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside