Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by northvibe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Looking to pick up my first pin to offically start my pinball addiction.

phoenix.craigslist.org link

I actually live in Tucson but we don't hardly ever get good listings down here...I live in a pinball desert...literally.

Thanks for the help.

#3 12 years ago

Given the fact that the DMD is messed up, I think it's priced a bit too high. Are those small DMD's even available anymore? It also makes me a little nervous that the seller describes the playfield as being in "fair" condition. I think $600-650 is probably a fair offer if everything else is working.

#4 12 years ago

oooh I want one.

"The game had the first dot matrix display (DMD) ever used on a pinball game! It used a "half-height" DMD as compared to the standard DMD used by Williams Mfg."

#5 12 years ago

It looks like PINLED makes a replacement display, but it's darn expensive:

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=453

#7 12 years ago

First DMD with a porsche on it? I'd be all over that one!

#8 12 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback guys.....oh how I wish I still lived in Chicago and had a better selection!

#9 12 years ago

On average this is a $750 to $800 game. If it looks nice, no wear, no error codes, etc...

#10 12 years ago

Sorry, did not look at the pics you have. That is a very nice playfield. I would get it in one second..

#12 12 years ago

I saw this ad that was posted Oct 21st in Phoenix on CL. The guy was asking $699 REDUCED. The ad said that there were problems with the DMD in the top right corner as well. I wonder if it's the same machine and the guy from Gilbert is just trying to make a quick buck. Who knows...

phoenix.craigslist.org link

#13 12 years ago

It is his first pin guys, having him buy a game that has issues IS A BAD IDEA.

The display glass is available from pinball life cheap (for a small display), but you still have to desolder 128+16 pins and then solder the new one in without damaging any traces. It is not a job for the faint of heart and you very well could screw it up.

That would be helpful to someone knowing what they were doing if that were the problem. That display isn't outgassing. The board it is connected to has problems which isn't uncommon for small dmds.

The game runs 900 tops and working ones in the chicago area will sit for 700-800 on cl for weeks. It is a neat game, but like all early DE dmd's (TMNT, Hook, ST25, Batman) it is stupidly simple. It would be nice in a larger lineup but as a first pin he will likely get board quickly.

Also, if anything goes wrong with it and he has to pay for a repair he will quickly end up with alot more money in it than it is worth. I would suggest avoding it unless it was cheap (as in the 500 dollar range cheap) until you know how to repair a machine. Once you work your way up and are comfortable fixing things and have a few other machines it could make for a nice change of pace.

#14 12 years ago

Go for it, but not for 800. If you can get it for 500, that will be a deal.

#15 12 years ago

I still say get it, especially if you're in a pinball-drought laden area of the country.

From the pictures it looks to be in good shape other than the one corner of the DMD. The first game I bought didn't have any problems and I had another one in the door that I had to rebuild from the ground up in about 2 weeks because I got bored with the first. You gotta start somewhere.

Should someone buy a pin that doesn't even turn on as their very first? Probably not, but that's not this machine.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from dung:

It is his first pin guys, having him buy a game that has issues IS A BAD IDEA

Hee Hee...her first pin.

An Evel Kneival just popped up for 899 in Tucson....hmmmmmmmmmmm

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from nerd:

An Evel Kneival just popped up for 899 in Tucson....hmmmmmmmmmmm

now that I wouldn't buy.

#18 12 years ago

Read 17 posts,name of game is Checkpoint,usually can find the name of a game in the first post or the topic. )
Miss nerd,Be patient, a game will come your way,mistakes and heartache can happen if you rush your first pin purchase

#19 12 years ago

I want a checkpoint badly, but ya 800 for that is a little high.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.