20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4239 3 years ago

Any opinions about Alltek vs Weebly? I like that Weebly offers free play for Stern code. On the other hand, I like the lifetime guarantee of Alltek. Thoughts?

#4243 3 years ago
Quoted from kickabit:

I prefer nvram.weebly over the Alltek. The Alltek runs at a higher clock rate than the nvram.weebly and the stock MPU-200. The high clock rate messes with the sounds. It is really noticeable on games with long background sounds like Nineball. Even the nvram.weebly board I have runs my Nineball a tad faster than the stock MPU-200 but it's much better than the Alltek in my opinion. Also you can run custom roms on the nvram.weebly board.

Thanks, that’s the sort of insight I’m looking for. It seems to me like they’re both good products. I’m still interested to hear if anyone else has pro/con type comparisons between the two. I figure each probably has advantages/disadvantages compared to the other. I don’t have any experience with either, but since I’m looking at buying a full set (mpu, solenoid and light boards), I’d like as much input as I can gather before committing.

#4245 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

As mentioned, the Alltek boards have lifetime wty. But the Alltek MPU is a frozen board while Weebly lets you swap ROMS. It's a tough decision. But the Alltek lamp boards are a no-brainer, AFASIAC; I tried those plugin things and yes, they work, but that Alltek lamp board is. the greatest.

I agree admit the plug in flicker reducers. They work, but they’re not perfect. Does anyone have experience with or have any reason to think that the weebly light board would perform differently from the Alltek?

#4249 3 years ago

How has the assembled product worked out for you? Are you using any leds in your game? If so, is there any flicker or other issues that you notice?

1 week later
#4324 3 years ago

Had an interesting lighting journey with my Seawitch. When I populated my new playfield I decided to install color matched leds from Comet with a set of those little daughter boards to eliminate flicker in the controlled lamps. At first I thought it was working out sorta okay but then I realized that a bunch of lights were always partly on. Then I realized that the bonus count lights were lighting up in odd sequences. I decided to swap out some of the leds for incandescent 47s. That solved not only weird issues with those lights but some of the others as well. So I went through and took out all of the leds, swapping in 47s instead. Now the whole playfield is lit properly, no errors. I miss the color of the leds though. Anyone else run into or have thoughts about this?

#4335 3 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I know I have seen a guide someone’s posted before but I can’t seem to find it again. Can anyone please share tips on properly adjusting spinners? I cleaned up my F2K spinners and now they won’t sit level. What’d I screw up?

Pics?

#4363 3 years ago
Quoted from schmittyz:

I just bought a Meteor and I'm looking to rebuild the flippers. One of the mechs has a double eos switch. The rebuild kits don't include that and I can't seem to find where to buy one. Anyone know who sells a 4 pole eos?

Have you tried PBR? Steve’s got a good selection of a la carte switches to build up a stack.

3 weeks later
#4465 3 years ago

Anyone know what kind of arm the head lock on a Seawitch uses? Nothing I have on hand fits right (not that I really need it since this is not on location, but it would be nice from a completeness standpoint).

#4468 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is a Stern back glass lock. Hard to find. A Bally is similar but will not interchange. But you mighty be able to take a Bally unit and cut the Bally tabs off and weld some "Z" angles and make it work.

Ha! Thank you!! Turns out I do have one, just didn’t realize what the hell it was since I’ve never seen one installed and this one was lying in the bottom of the cabinet when I bought my machine. This explains the tabs on the top trim for the glass.

All I have to figure out is a pivot for the side opposite the lock. That piece seems to be missing in action. Time to dig into the parts and hardware collection.

67524235-0315-4502-AC6F-7EB635ED0934 (resized).jpeg67524235-0315-4502-AC6F-7EB635ED0934 (resized).jpeg
#4473 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

A couple of my Sterns do not have the pivots. You will need a spacer and a wood screw and a washer.

Yup - that’s my situation. There’s just one hole in the head where it would pivot. Thanks for the confirmation!

2 weeks later
#4558 3 years ago

Does anyone have a link to a source for the U1-U4 chips on a Stern LDA-100 light board?

I’m having a couple odd light issues. Everything from the lamp >socket>wire>J connectors >transistors/resistors checks out fine, so I’m thinking the issue must be in U2 & U3. They look fairly straightforward to replace, but I don’t know where to get them.

D86B59B2-F9D8-418D-A126-C695364E9A04 (resized).jpegD86B59B2-F9D8-418D-A126-C695364E9A04 (resized).jpeg
#4568 3 years ago

Could someone please tell me what component is at C1 on a Stern LDA-100 light board? Looks like it’s related to grounding but I don’t know what it is or how to test it.

AA4AE8EF-9094-4BEE-A2EF-9ADD490FD1C0 (resized).jpegAA4AE8EF-9094-4BEE-A2EF-9ADD490FD1C0 (resized).jpeg
#4571 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

looks like a capacitor.
[quoted image]

Thanks - I couldn’t read that on my copy of the schematic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Louis, MO
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 959.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 12.00
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinheadpierre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=pinheadpierre and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.