20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinfixin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6082 2 years ago

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but I fear I am. I need a blade style lockdown bar receiver for my Hot Hand.

Does the one from pinball life work? https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-front-molding-lockdown-bar-receiver-assembly.html

I searched for "lockdown" in this thread, and there wasn't a definitive answer I could see.

-Pat

#6084 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

no, you are not beating a dead horse. I do not think the lockdown bar you linked will work.
This one will:
Mantis Pinball is reproducing the receiver you need. Also, if you know of a Data East pinball that is a parts pin, the receiver on DE is the same as Stern Electronics.
https://mantispinball.com/product/stern-receiver-old/

I was hoping for another solution then $125.

Data East Part number for their receiver is: 500-5020-01 (new) / 500-5020-00 (obsolete).

Planetary Pinball does have the 00's: http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MC-500-5020-00
and $89 is better than $125.

I bought one used from someone in the marketplace, have since moved and for the life of me I cannot find it. However, if one of the DE lockdown bars works in the new stern receiver from pinball life, wouldn't the classic stern blade lockdown bar work in that receiver also? Does anyone have a newer stern game with that receiver, and a classic stern / data east game and try the lockdown bar in their newer stern?

-Pat

#6085 2 years ago

Actually, Pinball Life's site says this about the receiver:

Fits all Data East and Sega games with the exception of WWF, Guns -N- Roses, and Batman Forever.

So, we proved earlier that a classic stern blade lockdown bar fit into someone's Robocop and their Robocop bar fit into their classic stern. Therefore is it reasonable to surmise that if that receiver replaces the Robocop receiver, then a classic stern bar should fit into that receiver also?

-Pat

#6088 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I stand corrected. I don't know what I was reading last night but it looks like the Pinball Life unit will work.

I'm going to order it with my next parts order, and will get a definitive answer, but yes, I think it will work also.

-Pat

#6122 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFixin:

I'm going to order it with my next parts order, and will get a definitive answer, but yes, I think it will work also.
-Pat

Here is a pic:

It fits almost perfectly. The only issue is, you need to drill new holes into the receiver to line up where the coin door bolts are coming through. See pink squares in attached pic.

Now, I just realized I do have the receiver portion, just not the handle. So, now the decision is to find a handle, or go with the new receiver.

This is pinball life part# 500-6881-00.

-Pat

New Stern Lockdown in Hot Hand (resized).jpgNew Stern Lockdown in Hot Hand (resized).jpg
#6127 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Do not drill those holes until you have assured that you are not going to interfere with the glass sliding off and on.

Oohh good point. I was racking my brain in trying to figure out if this is enough to "officially" say it fits. I'll do that next.

-Pat

3 months later
#6600 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm linking this video of my friends Galaxy pinball. There are no good videos on You Tube of Galaxy. This one is all play action and no jaw jaw.
I played a Galaxy at TPF in 2016. I was new and did not know much all of these pins. Galaxy looks rather fun to play.

Here is the thread he started. If there is a Galaxy Club, I missed it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-galaxy-light-resto-quicksilver-conversion-#post-6871701

That looks to have some sort of new code associated with it?

-Pat

8 months later
#7715 1 year ago

For a classic stern lockdown bar receiver. It doesn't look like any parts can be disassembled minus the spring. How do you guys hammer spray paint it? Just cover the whole thing? And one coat? I'm concerned the paint will stick on the sliding parts making it difficult to slide back and forth?

Also, finally found a Data East Playboy lockdown bar receiver. It is >>>>EXACTLY<<<< the same as the one for my hot hand. I think this was already documented, however I thought I'd say it again.

-Pat

#7754 1 year ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

A 4” length of drain pipe works well for this too - also nice for treating rusty legs!

Small necro reply I guess.

I haven't shopped a game in about 11 years. Before this, my tools of choice were a wirewheel on a bench grinder, #0 Steel Wool, Toothbrush, Ivory Dish Soap, and water.

I would use the wire wheel for EVERYTHING metal. If I couldn't make it perfectly shine, I considered it old age on the game. Sitting down for hours cleaning metal posts, plastic posts with a toothbrush, and soapy water.

So I was just thrown for a loop with "how in the hell do I get rid of this crap on this lockdown bar receiver?". I got rid of my wirewheel when I moved and got married. I just got an ultrasonic cleaner, and a rotary tumbler, and OOMMGG, what a difference. For the receiver, I just used a scotchbrite attachment for a dremel, and some 320 grit sandpaper to try to scuff it up a bit for painting. My thought process was always "I will try to make metal things look brand new, but if there are a few scratches, or small discoloration on it, I think it makes the game look vintage." I never liked BRIGHT WHITE paint, SHINY SHINY CHROME, and things like that on pinball machines. I grew up in the 70s-80s era, and things got damaged, and as long as the game worked great, I didn't care.
So I try to clean, but not obnoxiously so. Don't get me wrong, HEP restored, and Herb restored games look beautiful, but they just aren't my cup of tea in my gameroom.

Quoting the pipe, I made a 36in long 4in diameter PVC tube. I put vinegar in it, throw my pinball legs in there, and wait 24-48 hours or so. (This is not scientific by any means). I can then bring the legs into the shower, rinse them off and use some #0 steel wool to get rid of the crusty stuff on them (it just falls right off), and it's pretty amazing. I cleaned quite a few about 8 years ago, and haven't unpacked the legs yet. I'll post a response to see if they've rusted up again.

3 months later
#8494 1 year ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

J5
[quoted image]

I haven't even read all of your posts, but I see corrosion on the pin with the red-white wire. I would repin that entire connector, and probably replace the entire housing as well.

#8503 1 year ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

They where all repinned

Sounds good. I was wondering the same thing about the reflection myself.

6 months later
#9799 6 months ago

I sold my Hot Hand! yay!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 12.00
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 169.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ali
Poolville, TX
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tempe, AZ
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinfixin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=pinfixin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.