IMG_3355 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 10.08.59 AM (resized).jpg
IMG_2237 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2236 (resized).png
IMG_2235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5334 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nogoodnames222.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5009 2 years ago

Hey guys, bought a Galaxy recently which is my first early solid state (and I really haven't worked on pins much), so sorry if this is a dumb question:

My game worked great when I first got it, and then after a few days I had it restart mid-game. I thought it odd, but didn't have an issue for another couple days. The restarts started becoming more and more frequent (but very inconsistent), so I tried reseating all the connections I had undone when moving the machine and that got things noticeably better (may have just been a coincidence though). After a few days the issue had returned; currently the machine will power up and restarts itself every ~10-30 seconds on average.
-I tired reseating all connectors again and didn't have any improvement.
-Wiggling on wires/plugs does not have repeatable results.
-The GI lights do NOT flicker when the game resets.

My uneducated guess would be a power supply issue, or do you think it's still a connection (and if so, which board should I suspect)? Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Thanks, appreciate any help.

#5019 2 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern
is the best resource for you
Most likely MPU with acid damage, old/failing rectifier or solenoid board then throw in some potential tarnished connectors/pins welcome to Stern/Bally SS, they are a lot of fun and you can fix anything yourself with time and motivation.

Thanks for the link, I'll try to start working through stuff. I've got a newer MPU board which hopefully means that can be ruled out (my game was actually on location at POP here in Portland back before they closed, so it's fairly gone-through). Rectifier board is a little suspect... one of the connectors had a pretty obvious burn mark and has been re-pinned I believe so I'll probably start there.

Absolutely love how these classic Sterns play so I'm sure this won't be my last post or question in this thread. I'm young so I never had a chance to play these until I really got into the hobby recently, but man, Stern made some kickass games back in the day.

1 week later
#5090 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This morning I swapped out my Alltek MPUs to see if MPU probs were causing my Star Gazer to reset during the middle of the game and also start a 4 game session. The Alltek swap did not help. I know exactly when it happens. I will be playing and the drop targets will reset in mid-ball play. And then I look up and see there are now 4 players loaded and I have been shifter to Player #2.
On your advise, I disconnected the sound board. This seems to have solved the problem, although I need to mare play time to really make sure.
So, my question is: What is there in the sound board that can cause random game resets during game play?

Unplugging the soundboard on my Galaxy seems to have resolved my resetting issue as well (need to test more when I've got some time), so also curious where to go from here. I'm planning on looking for any visible damage on the ribbon cables + power connections + board itself, any general advice past that?

edit: just saw your edit, sorry I'm no help but very glad removing the soundboard from the equation was suggested.

#5091 2 years ago

Dumb question, do these games (Galaxy specifically) go back into attract mode if you leave them idling in a game for too long? IE can I start a game, play a ball and then walk away for an hour to see if it resets in that time?

7 months later
#6178 2 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Hey all - in case folks missed it elsewhere...Dick Hamill has programmed fantastic new code for Galaxy. I loaned him my machine back in July, and as of December, he had worked out this amazing new rule set. Completely changes the machine, for the better. The whole playfield is really brought into the gameplay for the first time.
Dick's working on a second draft of the code to make a few more options available (as it is now, it's ridiculously hard for a middling player such as myself!), but even as it, I think you'll agree it's pretty great. Check it out!

Dick's code adds a ton of life to Galaxy, really been enjoying it. For anyone unaware, he's done new software for a few Sterns: Stars, Meteor, Trident, and now Galaxy (as well as a few Bally's). You can put the hardware together for ~100 bucks or buy a plug-n-play kit through a couple different guys on here, it's completely reversible and you can flip a switch to go back to the original code. If you've got a game he's done an update for, highly recommend trying it out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 169.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 199.95
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
$ 125.00
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop
Men
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 45.00
$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Other
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Other
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 10.00
$ 31.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nogoodnames222.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=nogoodnames222 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.