20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikeflan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8322 1 year ago

When I saw that Stars in the back of the truck, I thought it was in a fire from all the smoke. Just a long life in
bar.... I'll have to get a can of the crazy clean!

Quoted from play_pinball:

Cleaning up the thickest nicotine stains off my German re-import Stars. This Crazy Clean stuff is great. Found it in from an old thread about cleaning up smoke and nicotine stains. Just sprays on and wipes off immediately. I don't recommend letting it soak in, just spray and wipe.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

2 months later
#8884 10 months ago

All this Seawitch talk is making me think that I would trade my non-working complete Seawitch project in *way* better than average shape for a working, complete good condition Stars plus cash. If anyone is interested.

Mike

#8891 10 months ago

I have two Seawitches, and zero Stars, so that's where my mind is at right now. Would also consider pretty much any other classic Stern that I don't have (I have Nine Ball, Big Game, and Seawitch(X2)).

Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Man.... Seawitch is so, so much better than Stars. Don't do it!

#8904 10 months ago

Is there really that noticeable of a difference with the bats? I've substituted Bally bats in a pinch (TPF when one of my flippers cracked in half) and didn't feel any difference in gameplay.

Quoted from Quench:

The Stern MPU200 games had a slightly narrower bat then MPU100 and Bally games. Someone likely fitted a standard Bally bat on your shoe that's loose.

#8906 10 months ago

Makes sense. The flipper that disintegrated on mine was an upper flipper on Big Game, so no problems with blocking drains. Plus, there was flipper hop everywhere anyway, and I just thought it was a part of the game.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

You’re likely going to get flipper hop from them and on games like stars the wider Bally bat will stop the ball from draining and there won’t be enough room between the bat and the apron for the ball the pass.

1 month later
#9354 8 months ago

Hey gang-

Just picked up a Stingray and the left slingshot arm is broken in half at the head. Any recommended replacements that might work? I'm assuming original parts are no longer available. Thanks-

Mike

4 weeks later
#9560 7 months ago

Hey gang - Having a problem with my Seawitch's coin door. When I put a coin in the slot, the switch registers in switch test, but doesn't add a credit to the game. Any ideas?

Mike

#9562 7 months ago

No sound at all, and all dip switches set to one coin per play. Drop a coin in switch test registers coins in either of the two outside slots (middle slot is dollar coin) and the displays show the appropriate switch activating (switch 01 or switch 3). Curious.

#9564 7 months ago

Brilliant! That did the trick. Looks like there was a bunch of trash in the memory from moving over to NVRAM. Interesting. Thanks a bunch.

2 weeks later
#9681 6 months ago

Yep, I wrote the guy, but can't pick up for a while, so we'll see what happens. I'd like to try to bring this one back working.

Quoted from play_pinball:

Heck of a deal in Georgia, but I’m mostly curious about the apron on it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that color combo before.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/165045[quoted image]

#9708 6 months ago

All this talk of scratch build Stargazers has 1) made me want to try this at some point in my life and 2) have a frank self-assessment and realize I don't currently have the skill set to even attempt this. But 3) I'll probably try it at some point. Anyone have a general parts/mech list so I can start the accumulation phase?

Mike

#9712 6 months ago

Can you spray paint from a rattle can? Yes
Can you solder? Yes
Can you solder well? No
Are you comfortable with lots of hand tools? Yes
What kind of tools do you currently have? Literally everything.

What parts do you currently have? Very little. I have a second Seawitch, but not really interested in turning that into the donor game: still have hope to bring that back from the dead, and possibly use sale proceeds to fund Stargazer parts.

Is there a particular donor game that makes the most sense price wise? I'm picking up a project meteor, but have a wild opinion that I can get it back up and running. But a cheap project may make more sense for the conversion than going some mad route of new cabinet, all new parts, etc.

Finally, any idea how much this might run assuming you have a project game lying around? Ballpark in my head is around $2500 in parts (playfield, backglass, harness, boards, wireforms, stencils) plus another $500 in miscellaneous parts. Plus the donor game and about $10K in labor.

3 weeks later
#9910 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Lamp sockets are several parts that are press fit/ clamped together. They are not serviceable. With your metal lamp board, that board is just added to the press fit mix. You want the socket gone from the metal board you will need to cut it out.
If you have any of these Stern pins and are dealing with flaky lights.
Big Game, Catacomb, Cheetah, Flight 2000, Freefall, Meteor and Nine Ball can have their flaky bulbs replaced by these boards.
https://pinballreplacementparts.com/collections/all?page=5
These replacement boards are the only way to fly, IMO.

So my question is does this make sense now that Yoppsicles can be had? The boards for Meteor are $44, the sockets I would assume are ~$44, and the bulbs (if you go LED) probably another $22. I'd probably just go the Yopp route and be done with it for ~$40 total.

#9958 5 months ago

Anyone have a high resolution image of the Stern Electronics Inc. logo? Looking to get a banner for an upcoming pinball show. Thanks-

Mike

#9970 5 months ago

Anyone know if there is a source for Stern ball trough switches? I just broke the arm off one of mine on Nine Ball, which is a depressing feeling.

3 months later
#10513 68 days ago

Looking for a lockdown bar for a star pinball machine. Picked up a beater game and it come with one. Thanks

3 weeks later
#10602 46 days ago

Trying to rebuild the chimes on a Stern Stars and was wondering if anyone knows what kind of parts I need to rebuild it. Will Bally grommets/eyelets work or do I need something else? Steve Young said he got bad feedback on a set he sent out, so trying to piece together what I might need.

4 weeks later
#10700 19 days ago

Hey gang -

Having an annoying problem with my Stars. Left bank upon reset is having two of the three drop targets go back up, but one out of 6 or 7 times, the middle target doesn't reset. The small problem is that this instantly awards 500 points to the player. The bigger issue is it occasionally screws up the game's ball state logic and advances to the next ball if the trough kickout is slow or takes multiple attempts to kick out from the trough. Want to use this in a tournament so it's problematic.

Any ideas? Not sure what to do about the ledge if that is the issue.

Thanks

Mike

#10703 18 days ago

Targets are new, spring is new: coil stop is loose at the head where it is "riveted" into the stop, but the large bore part (A-378) is unavailable from most vendors - waiting on Action Pinball to return from vacation to see if he has one. It is an aluminum sleeve and I'll get some nylon replacements but I don't have the larger bore size on hand. Will let everyone know when those parts are replaced and if any difference is noted. Thanks.

Quoted from slochar:

That is odd as it's usually one of the end targets that won't reset (usually the one that's farthest from the coil).
Targets worn? Spring bad? Reset stroke smooth? (I replace the aluminum sleeve on the big coils with the nylon equivalent for less drag).
The ball not shooting out consistently might point to a low coil power situation.... under playfield fuse holder tarnished/not so springy?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Warrenton, VA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 959.00
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine Beach, FL
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 169.00
$ 169.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikeflan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=mikeflan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.