Topic Stats

• 2,330 posts
  • 195 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by frunch
  • Topic is favorited by 100 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 705 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191011_202109796 (resized).jpg
IMG_3771 (1) (resized).png
IMG_2100 (resized).JPG
IMG_2099 (resized).JPG
IMG_2098 (resized).JPG
IMG_2097 (resized).JPG
IMG_2093 (resized).JPG
IMG_2089 (resized).JPG
IMG_2087 (resized).JPG
IMG_2081 (resized).JPG
IMG_2079 (resized).JPG
IMG_2072 (resized).JPG
IMG_2070 (resized).JPG
IMG_2069 (resized).JPG
IMG_2064 (resized).JPG
IMG_2063 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (1 year ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (1 year ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (1 year ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (1 year ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (1 year ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (7 months ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (69 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#68 1 year ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Personally 9 ball is the best player of all mentioned imo. Now I want to know what 9 ball goes for. lol

I have Quicksilver, Star Gazer, Nine Ball, and Sea Witch.

QS is the best player, bar none. Runner ups are SG, NB, than SW.

Love these era of Sterns, in fact these are more fun than most Bally games of the similar era IMO.

#70 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I love how these threads always turn into show and tell
How come nobody ever chimes in with "I got a stargazer, and it's a real piece of shit?"
These classic sterns rise above the Ballys because they generally have more interesting rules and playfield layouts I'd say. And much better drop target mechs.

It was a POS, so was SG and SW.

You happy?

#154 1 year ago

I want your Cheetah, PM sent.

(take the highest offer)

#182 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Which plays better? Star Gazer or Fathom?
There is a Fathom at Cactus Jack's. Maybe they don't have it set steep enough but it does nothing for me. It is a beautiful pin but from the first moment that mealy mouthed voice says "Fathom" and that rhythmic sound starts I start losing the thrill of the chase. I'd rather play Interflip Dragon.

Those two are pretty comparable, Fathom has a more traditional layout while SG is pretty unique.

QS beats both of them.

#200 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Anyone that thinks any classic Stern is a better playing game than Fathom is living a lie. Remember, rare does not always equate to good. I love the classic Stern machines but c'mon man... we all know how any why they were made. There is a reason that back when these Stern machines were available they did not earn as well and were cheaper machines to purchase, compared with Bally and Williams.

So everyone who doesn't think as you is living a lie? Ok....

Actually I think two of the classic Sterns are better than any Bally, and I have several of the Bally games, and enjoy them as well.

Hope it doesn't keep you up at night.

3 weeks later
#369 1 year ago
Quoted from brenna98:

picked up a few project sterns this past weekend. Not looking to sell anything at this point. Just thought I would share pics.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You hit the motherload!

Nice freakin haul!

#379 1 year ago

I apologize if this has been posted, but here is a thread to make you cry.

I was lucky enough to get one of them, but in hindsight, I would have had the $ in his hands faster than a flick of the wrist.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-entire-classic-stern-mpu-200-collection-4-sale

#386 1 year ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I made an offer on his Star Gazer. It had a beautifully restored playfield, except for one font issue in the bonus multiplier tree which didn't make any sense. But it had damage from sitting on it's back in water. Seller did not include any photos that showed the damage to the cabinet and playfield -- no pictures of the back and the only shots of the inside were taken from the coin door.
I found another album containing pics of the game when he got it. These pics clearly showed the damage. I'm sure he repaired all of it, but it should have been disclosed since I bet the inner cab would have been stained. Deals fell through with other people in line, and when it fell in my lap I offered him $200-300 less than asking price. He declined the offer and sold the game to someone else.
I regretted that decision every day until the one I bought popped up for sale.

Now 3K is a steal for it, only 4 years later.

SG and QS were gone when I got in, but I was able to get one of the other ones. Sad news is I passed on the Cheetah and Catacomb.

1 week later
#450 11 months ago

4 are at Expo.

Catacomb - nice version.
Iron Maiden - I tried this one again, just not much fun at all. Stunning to look at.
Galaxy - a blast.
Dracula - was off.

#459 11 months ago

Congrats! Is that a restore or a new build?

#477 11 months ago

I am kinda considering it, depending on the price. I could care less how many songs are on it as I own them all multiple times.

But for now, this will have to keep me over. Just came in....

56201955949__00244EAD-38D5-4585-9C41-2ACEFC87D4E2 (resized).JPG
#542 11 months ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I have been buying new old stock 1847 GE bulbs for my Seawitch pop bumpers and other troublesome bulb locations. The 1847's are the heavy duty version of the #47 bulb. The new offshore produced 1847's are worthless.

Is there a good source for these yet?

3 weeks later
#664 10 months ago

Any possibilities of a Cheetah playfield protector?

1 month later
#839 9 months ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Ive switched over to using the weebly boards...

Weebly boards are awesome.

1 week later
#883 8 months ago

Hate to say this, but after playing these classic Sterns, when I go back to the Ballys from the same era...I'm getting disappointed with them. Centaur and Fathom are still great, but getting bored with my Viking, Medusa, and Supersonic.

Hmm....

1 week later
#962 8 months ago

I am looking for an ALI. If anyone has one that they are thinking of moving, please let me know.

Have lots of trade bait too.

1 month later
#1268 7 months ago

Speaking of Stern flippers, why do the rebuild kits cost so much more than all the other types of kits?

2 weeks later
#1391 6 months ago

You know what we need? The price to pick up on these early Sterns - Magic, Nugent, Wild Fyre.

Got a Wild Fyre I need to move.

#1399 6 months ago

I need some help. When I turned on my Nine Ball tonight, started to see smoke from the drop targets. Turned the game off, and raised the PF. The smoke is coming from the large bank target, but I can't see anything. The smoke was somewhat light, but the smell was heavy. I didn't have time to pull it apart, but is the only thing it could be is a coil locking on inside it?

#1403 6 months ago
Quoted from frunch:

That big drop target mech has a total of 8 coils--a big one for resetting the bank, and 7 small relay-type coils used for dropping the targets. Unfortunately the mech is a pita to service, but it might need to be taken apart to check the small coils. If you should find a bad coil, i would check the associated driver transistor on the SDB and replace it if it's bad.
Also, the 2 metal 12-lamp boards under the playfield sit very close to the big drop target mech. I've seen electrical tape run in between the drop target mech and the lamp boards to prevent any potential shorting etc. Make sure there's no contact being made there, too.

Thank you, I will report back.

1 week later
#1453 6 months ago

Nice one RD!

2 weeks later
#1508 5 months ago

My original targets on my QS stick some times. Is it better just to replace them?

1 month later
#1647 4 months ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Can we please get this thread back to classic sterns?
This is not the place to discuss upgrading William's flippers.

After collecting Sterns for several years now, finally was able to acquire the one on the top of of my list.

58043103068__4C06FBB8-B80F-40E8-9BFF-3F5DBA86D28C (resized).JPG
#1657 4 months ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

It's beautiful!

Thanks. Took a bit of a gamble as I never ever seen one let alone play one, but the gamble paid off.

#1665 4 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That is a beautiful Dragonfist ! Is that the original back glass or a BG Resto repro?
===============================

That BG is a BG Repo, but I was able to source an original with only very minor imperfections (few scratches). I was struggling with whether to keep the repo in and store the original, or vice versa? What do you think?

3 weeks later
#1793 3 months ago
Quoted from getadam:

Hey Dragonfist owners. I've got good news. I recently bought a Dragonfist and desperately wanted new plastics.
So, I contacted CPR and we worked out a deal to move them into production. They are already in progress and they will be out later this year and for sale to the general public!
So glad I could give back to the community a bit. And thanks crazylevi for turning me on to Classic Sterns and gizmonic for your Dragonfist (and Stargazer) streams. You guys really got me into these awesome games.

Thanks, I need a new set.

#1802 3 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Getadam, I would classify you as a mover and a shaker.
Your next assignment is to go buy a Cheetah in need of plastics and make another call to CPR for a repeat performance

Second and thirded. These are needed.

3 weeks later
#1870 81 days ago

Does anyone know where I can find documented information on the Stern Factory, such has the history of it? Seems that the other manufactures have quite a bit of information already published and available, but not the old Stern company. I know Harry worked there and Gary's father ran and owned it, but am interested in learning more about that company.

2 weeks later
#1988 64 days ago

New addition being picked up.

IMG_1875 (resized).jpg
#1993 62 days ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Did you buy that from my buddy James in Mass?

Yes. Cabinet has seen better days but the pf is very nice.

4 weeks later
#2172 34 days ago

Nice pick ups Dave. I'm excited when I snag just one.

2 weeks later
#2277 18 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

So that's it? It sort of fell into your lap? No endless miles of highway hypnosis? No thrill of the chase? No getting bent over on the price?

That sounds like my MO for how I have acquired most of my classic Sterns.

#2282 18 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If I could only be like that. I blew up the environment and tore up several highways chasing all of mine.

What I meant was it has been a bit rough, made some silly trades and paid probably more than I should, some I did get lucky due to karma, so it's been a hell of a ride, but not easy.

That's part of the fun - played my QS and DF last night - love those games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Wanted

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside