Topic Stats

• 2,441 posts
  • 203 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by BrianBannon
  • Topic is favorited by 102 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 733 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

catdrop (resized).jpg
20191115_210609 (resized).jpg
FAF62236-D611-4528-B536-993FAED6E33F (resized).jpeg
6AC6F0DD-2F6E-4B8C-996E-7F4E58AF68E7 (resized).jpeg
16BFC20A-F6CB-4BE7-BD74-26B9182361C0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2346 (resized).JPG
IMG_6154 (resized).JPG
IMG_20191027_184835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2269 (resized).JPG
IMG_2268 (resized).JPG
IMG_2267 (resized).JPG
IMG_2266 (resized).JPG
IMG_2264 (resized).JPG
IMG_2230 (resized).JPG
IMG_2234 (resized).JPG
IMG_2231 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (1 year ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (1 year ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (1 year ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (1 year ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (1 year ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (9 months ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (3 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jkashani.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#148 1 year ago

I want to buy your Chettah, I have NOS cash for it

#233 1 year ago

What do you guys reckon a really nice Viking would go for? Backglass mint, playfield the same and some touch ups on the red on the cabinet.

#240 1 year ago
Quoted from jkashani:

What do you guys reckon a really nice Viking would go for? Backglass mint, playfield the same and some touch ups on the red on the cabinet.

Oops wrong thread...

1 week later
#292 1 year ago

I lined up a lightning, just working out details.

#316 1 year ago

Got my first classic Stern. It is gonna need some love but it will turn out nice. It was in a guys basement for 20 years I was told. Can someone please tell me how to adjust the volume? Thanks

IMG_2426 (resized).JPG
#318 1 year ago

Thanks will check now.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Should be a volume control turning knob by the speaker

4 weeks later
#535 1 year ago

My Stern Lightning is betting a sexy makeover. I want to LED it, any suggestions on brand/colors etc. Thanks in advance.

IMG_2634 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#577 1 year ago

Can someone recomend a set of replacement legs for my Stern Lightning?

Thanks

#586 1 year ago

Thank You

Quoted from cottonm4:

Pinball Resource.
http://pbresource.com/legs.html
Bally leg. part number: #LEG-28GR
Dark Grey non-ribbed.

4 weeks later
#680 11 months ago

Can anyone please tell me what volume potentiometer I could use to replace the one on my Stern Lightning? I cant find the parts number on the manual.

Thank You

#686 11 months ago

Thanks so much guys.

3 weeks later
#749 10 months ago

Can anyone tell me the color match for the coin door color early sterns? I believe that the legs are painted the same color. The pic is of mine repainted with what I believe to be a close color match.

Thank You

IMG_2665 (resized).JPG
#752 10 months ago

Stop! Hammertime! Thanks!

Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Rustoleum Hammertone Gray
Jim

1 week later
#832 10 months ago

I am having a problem with the right sling on my lightning pinball. It works in test but does not work during game play. Sometimes it may ghost work and activate when not struck by the ball. I am not a repair person and any information will be conveyed to my pinball repairman, so forgive me if I cant answer any questions as to what has been tried already but we believe that it may be a faulty cap.

#850 10 months ago

Was a bad capacitor, thanks for all those who answered.

Quoted from jkashani:

I am having a problem with the right sling on my lightning pinball. It works in test but does not work during game play. Sometimes it may ghost work and activate when not struck by the ball. I am not a repair person and any information will be conveyed to my pinball repairman, so forgive me if I cant answer any questions as to what has been tried already but we believe that it may be a faulty cap.

1 month later
#1196 8 months ago

If anyone has interest in my lightning I can provide pics of the work that went into it etc.

BBE0D1EF-13D0-4A0D-809B-3527C2FC4FEF (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#1341 7 months ago

I do think a Stern Lightning would fit your collection well

Quoted from Mitch:

Finally getting my sterns set up on legs. Many are projects but it's a start. Some cab repairs needed to be done.
Will have to slide them all down one as I have a catacomb coming too[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

4 months later
#1864 3 months ago

Anyone have a PDF manual for Stern Nine Ball? If so can you please share. Thanks in advance.

#1896 3 months ago

Does anyone have a list of the rubber sizes and even placement for a Nine Ball? I would like to make a Titan Rubber database list to buy and to share with others. Thank you in advance.

#1905 3 months ago

Many thanks

Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

7A-125
27/64" - Mini-Post - White
7A-120-031 / 7A-135
5/16" - Ring - White
7A-120-100
1" - Ring - White
7A-120-150
1-1/2" - Ring - White
7A-120-200
2" - Ring - White
7A-120-250
2-1/2" - Ring - White
7A-120-300
3" - Ring - White
7A-120-350
3-1/2" - Ring - White
7A-121 / 7A-121-1
1/2 x 1-1/2" - Standard Flipper - Red
A-105
Rebound Rubber
7A-122
Shooter Tip

#1908 3 months ago

I created a Nine Ball rubber kit (minus the rebound rubber) on Titan Rubbers for those so inclined.

Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

7A-125
27/64" - Mini-Post - White
7A-120-031 / 7A-135
5/16" - Ring - White
7A-120-100
1" - Ring - White
7A-120-150
1-1/2" - Ring - White
7A-120-200
2" - Ring - White
7A-120-250
2-1/2" - Ring - White
7A-120-300
3" - Ring - White
7A-120-350
3-1/2" - Ring - White
7A-121 / 7A-121-1
1/2 x 1-1/2" - Standard Flipper - Red
A-105
Rebound Rubber
7A-122
Shooter Tip

#1927 3 months ago

I put leds in my inserts on my nine ball, hooked up the altek led driver board and attached the wire from the led board to a control lamp but I still am getting flicker? Compared it to my lightning with leds and I don’t think I I did anything wrong. Anyone have a similar issue? If someone had one that is working with leds can you advise as to where you hooked up the wire from the led board. Thank you

#1929 3 months ago

Fat solid wire and thinner striped per the instructions, that's what I did. If yours is working with LEDs do you mind snapping a pic? Maybe I have a bad board?

Quoted from TheLaw:

Swap the strings...are you sure it's the....fat wire I think?

#1931 3 months ago

I am sure you would

Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

John your 9 Ball sounds like it might be too much of a project for you... it happens, we all get over our heads sometimes. I just want to let you know that I’m here for you 24/7 to take this basket case off of your hands anytime you’re ready

#1934 3 months ago

I think I figure it out will keep all posted. I think it just tames the flicker.

#1939 3 months ago

Interestingly enough it is not all LED's just the ones in the first bank of inserts numbered 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 6, 4, 2 and not all of them. It is most noticeable because that is the first row lit. Please excuse my ignorance but what are SCR's?

Video:

Do all of your LEDs flicker or just some? If just some, it could be bad SCRs.

#1942 3 months ago

Different plates. Will fiddle with them a bit and will try and swap out led driver board with another and see if it still does it. Worst case scenario I put regular bulbs in the ones flickering.

Quoted from HHaase:

Are all the flickering lamps on the same metal plate? If so, could be a bad voltage input into the plate. Stern seems to have a lot more issues with LED conversions than Bally, and those lamp plates come up a lot in my emails.

#1947 3 months ago

Original board. Thoughts on adding resistors?

72C1A3E2-5C27-4393-8D5E-3F9CD47517F4 (resized).jpeg
#1948 3 months ago

I assume that there is only one light board, no auxiliary light board?

#1950 3 months ago

Understood, but it is only one row of lamps, the others are fine. Any other suggestions?

Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't think the resistors are needed...that's what the alltek board is doing already basically. That's what yo8u can do with a normal board to get them to work.
Nine Ball only has 1 light board.

#1952 3 months ago

Wow! Thanks will try the above mentioned resistors first and if that does not work than I will buy this. Thank you and all others who have chimed in.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Ok, you did not say that you installed the 555 lamp boards from pinball replacement parts so I assume you still have original factory metal plates with the #44 bulb sockets in your Nine Ball.
Those metal plates get to be a pain with lousy connections. Could some of your sockets be corroding at those metal plates and be the problem?
If you have not installed a set of these I highly recommend you consider them.
https://pinballreplacementparts.com/products/stern-nine-ball-complete-set-of-boards-to-replace-metal-panel-sockets

#1957 3 months ago

Thanks for the explanation. A few posts up I posted another pinside a suggestion to put 1.5k 1/4 watt resistors in the same fashion you suggested.

Quoted from barakandl:

MPU200 games with the increased clock speed start to update the feature lamps when the feature lamp bus voltage is lower than Bally games. Because of that lamps are much more likely to "flicker" from lack of latching in Stern MPU200 games.
There are many variables as to why you may see flickering in one game over another. Feature lamp bus voltage differences from transformer variances. Line cord voltage. CPU clock speed. Resistance in connectors. Resistance in lamp sockets. And finely not all SCRs are created equal, it even varies in a lot from part to part. Recently i have tested On semi, UTC, and a Chinese brand from LCSC SCRs. The cheapest Chinese brand SCRs actually had the best performance for being able to latch at a low current... go figure.
https://datasheet.lcsc.com/szlcsc/Changjiang-Electronics-Tech-CJ-MCR100-6_C77884.pdf
When I am testing these lamp boards I use Big Game software, 3mm red led with 1k ohm current limiting resistor and a 560 ohm load resistor. After letting the board get warmed up if every SCR latches at that point it should be safe to use in about any game.
If you have a MPU200 or other game with a replacement lamp driver yet a few lamps still flicker the easiest fix for you to do is to add more load by putting a resistor across the lamp socket. 470ohm to 1k ohm should be sufficient. Just right across the lamp leads on the playfield.

#1969 3 months ago

Would non ghosting LED's work?

Quoted from jkashani:

Thanks for the explanation. A few posts up I posted another pinside a suggestion to put 1.5k 1/4 watt resistors in the same fashion you suggested.

#2001 3 months ago

Thoroughly enjoying my newly acquired Nine Ball. For those who commented on or were following the led issue of flickering in the first row of numbered lights I decided to leave it as is. It’s only noticeable at the start of the ball when they are all lit. Maybe later I will address it but for now it’s all good.

C259F779-5480-4374-BDCD-A962F67193D5 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#2069 83 days ago

Those has been sold. I lined up a pretty nice Big Game project at Coin-op Warehouse and it is paid in full waiting to be picked up. I lined up something else and will let it go for any interested party. I have the pics from Coin-op that I can share. $1450 PP friends and family.

1 week later
#2141 75 days ago

Leads on a Seawitch backglass can be nos, repro or very nice example.

#2147 73 days ago

Wish I was told this sooner. I guess I will have to take my chances.

Quoted from bluespin:

I would have purchased one from greatwichjohn. He’s been making high quality repro backglasses for our classic Sterns for a long time now. Cpr just started making Seawitch backglasses and people have complained about the quality of some of their backglasses in the past.

1 month later
#2364 23 days ago

Thanks, yes its very nice. It is a CPR. Check their website under back glasses, you'll find it.

Quoted from cottonm4:

You have a nice looking Seawitch. I would like to offer a correction. Your back glass was reproduced by John Greatwich and not CPR as your ad states. CPR makes Seawitch plastics, but not the back glass, as far as I can tell.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 19.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jkashani.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside