Topic Stats

• 2,441 posts
  • 203 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by BrianBannon
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 733 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

catdrop (resized).jpg
20191115_210609 (resized).jpg
FAF62236-D611-4528-B536-993FAED6E33F (resized).jpeg
6AC6F0DD-2F6E-4B8C-996E-7F4E58AF68E7 (resized).jpeg
16BFC20A-F6CB-4BE7-BD74-26B9182361C0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2346 (resized).JPG
IMG_6154 (resized).JPG
IMG_20191027_184835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2269 (resized).JPG
IMG_2268 (resized).JPG
IMG_2267 (resized).JPG
IMG_2266 (resized).JPG
IMG_2264 (resized).JPG
IMG_2230 (resized).JPG
IMG_2234 (resized).JPG
IMG_2231 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (1 year ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (1 year ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (1 year ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (1 year ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (1 year ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (9 months ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (3 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#149 1 year ago
Quoted from terrapinmark:

...I did find NOS stern spinners!!!

Where? I could use a couple!

(PM me, we'll keep it secret)

#153 1 year ago

I have a decent Big Game, boards are fully rebuilt, everything works perfectly, BG has minor cracking near the bottom. Recent flipper rebuilds. PF has some light wear but is almost entirely intact (swirl marks). Plays awesome.

Any idea of the current market value?

#212 1 year ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Each to his own with regard to whatever game you like or don't like. IMHO, Fathom is way overrated play wise, though I wouldn't say that just any classic Stern is better.
Regarding earnings, I can give up to date real world experience on routing classic Bally vs at least one classic Stern. Other than Eight Ball Deluxe, which I place on a pedestal for earnings and gameplay, I haven't found any other classic Bally games that can hold their own against Quicksilver. Yeah, they do fine for a very short time period but fall off the earth with no earnings legs. Just took a refurbished Fathom off location after just a couple of months as it was an earnings dog. This Fathom is beautiful and plays like a dream, didn't matter. It was quite a disappointment. These other classic Bally comparison games were all in excellent condition, too.

Awesome that you are routing classic SS games!

I recently had my Big Game on location in our league bar and it did "ok". Maybe a little under 1/2 what my TNA pulled in. League players loved it though super fun game for competitive/dollar games.

Any experience routing a Flash Gordon recently? Once mine is back together (installed a PF overlay) I may put it out at the bar as well.
These games certainly got played to death back in the day, wonder if it's too brutual for modern players?

#218 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don’t think the “rare = bad” formula always works. Especially when you are talking about early 80s when the industry was in terrible shape, from a smaller company with fewer distirbutors and ability to weather the storm like Stern.
Games like stargazer and quicksilver are as good as what the competition was putting out at the time.

Agreed. In the case of Star Gazer from what I've read it seems Stern cut the production "prematurely" once Flight 2000 was ready. Luckily for me it seems a lot of the SG production went to Canada before they switched the line to F2K.

Back then though it was a race of new whizbang features and such so the inherent qualities of the gameplay were easy to overlook on the brochure when comparing againt something with speech and a habitrail thingy and an upper playfield, etc.

#235 1 year ago

Anyone want to trade a Fathom (any reasonable condition) for a nice original Medusa + Big Game?

1 week later
#333 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I must have seen it!
In my mind, the displays seemed kind of harmless, like bulbs.

Yeah, super high voltage bulbs with friggin plasma inside them. They're closer to a fusion reactor than a light bulb.

I love plasma displays. Hate the idea of replacing them with cool to the touch, low power LCD units. I'll take the warm (k, smokin' hot) glow of an original plasma display every time.

1 week later
#417 1 year ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Not a fan of Split Second myself, BUT, I haven't played it since it's heyday in the arcades.
Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of Harry Williams' designs for Stern. I'm starting to warm up to some of them (Big Game, Hot Hand) so I may actually like SS now. Never played Freefall and have concerns I won't like it, but when I finally get mine running I'll keep my expectations low. Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised. F2K is my favorite design of his, but the jury's still out as to who designed it.

Big Game is surprisingly good and fun to shoot. Great shots on that one and the four flippers mixes things up a bit. Had it on location recently at our league place and everone loved it for competitive play.

2 months later
#779 10 months ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

And that driver board is useless...
[quoted image]

What's wrong with it?

>>>Nevermind, I see the missing IC now.

#813 10 months ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

For me, there are even more reasons to use Weebly boards. For Bally rom hacks and rom testing, it is a great tool as well.

A big benefit these days is the ability to use custom roms as well.

#871 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How fast do these bumper assemblies spin. What RPM? Would it be possible to buy a couple of high RPM motors, machine some brackets and machine the bumper part from hard rubber?
What about a motor from a Skil Saw. They are high speed with fast start up. They are continuous duty motors. And they have a threaded shaft.

That kind of velocity might put the ball into actual, uh, orbit!

2 weeks later
#972 9 months ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

My only Classic Stern is Lightning. I bought it as a project. I put about 65 hours into it and about $800 in parts. I recently spent another $120 on a CPR plastic set that I have yet to install. I know this game doesn't get the love of some of the other Sterns, but it has a really unique rule set and I'm digging it. Nothing like ripping the spinner when lit for 1k plus 4x playfield. Hard to set it up but man, 350-400K per spinner rip! I also really like how the bonus maxes at 99k times 5x. That bonus meltdown is sweet!
Here are some before and after pics.
Before:
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That is some stellar PF art on that game.

4 weeks later
#1179 8 months ago

Hi all, I'm currently working on a project/restore of a Flash Gordon (not a Stern, I know) that I traded for so don't have a lot of documentation or pics of what the PF looked like before it was stripped.

So I have a couple questions I'm hoping you can answer:

1. Where should the brass plastic holder posts be used vs the chrome ones? And where are those screws without threading near the top (2 shown in the middle of the pic) used?
Screws (resized).JPG

2. Anyone know where I can get replacements for these tired/broken posts?
Posts (resized).JPG

3. What can I do with these ramps that have some rust spotting on them? Is it possible to sand out the blemishes and then re-polish?
ramp (resized).JPG

Thanks for any advice. I promise to post something about my Big Game or Stargazer next.

#1183 8 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If the brass posts and the chrome posts are the same length and both are threaded for screw on acorn nuts I don't think it will matter. If they are different lengths then the the shorter ones will go with shorter posts.
The two countersunk head wood screws are going to go where you can see a depression on the lower side of the play field where they will fit. Maybe they are screws to hold the rails on to the play field
[quoted image]
You can get these posts at Pinball Resource. Or pinball life. Or Marco.
https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=post
[quoted image]
People laugh, but they have not tried it. You can buy some Evapo rust for $10.00 a gallon. Or you can get some molasses at the grocery store for about $4.00. Mix a couple of ounces to a gallon of water and let it soak for 2-3 days. The rust will be gone. Lightly scrub with some Scotchbrite.
You can keep your mix in a gallon jug and keep reusing it. And you can get some chrome polish and maybe you can wax it and it will stay good for awhile.
Unlike the rust removers you buy, molasses is not harmful to the environment. And for some people it is great on pancakes.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Awesome thanks!

I assume the molasses needs to be warm enough to mix properly (I live in Canada, it was -30c here this morning)?

So you're suggesting scotchpad so basically giving up the shiny chrome (orig) appearance and trying for a grained one instead?

#1228 8 months ago
Quoted from kickabit:

According to IPDB Seawitch was the game manufactured before Cheetah. I have never seen a Seawitch with plastic pops. Every Cheetah I’ve played has had plastic pops.

My Big Game has metal and my Star Gazer has plastic, for what it’s worth.

1 month later
#1455 7 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Thought you guys might like to see my latest pick up.
1979 Stern Cosmic Princess. Assembled in Australia by Leisure Allied Industries. (LAI)
To work around Australia (and New Zealand’s) exorbitant import taxes in the 1970s, Stern games were shipped as parts and assembled in Aussie. NZ used to do the same with Space Invaders games - we made the cabinets and tubes in NZ, and bought in the boards and controls.
There were 336 Cosmic Princess’ shipped to Perth. This was the only “Aussie only” model made. It uses the same roms as Magic. I know of 3 here in NZ - this is the nicest one of the three. Could well be others around ...
Anyway - got a lead on this one last week, and met up with the guy today. He had bought it from his neighbour a while back when the neighbour had moved out. It didn’t work when he bought it - and it still doesn’t.
Boards all look pretty tidy - Rectifier board shows signs of repair.
Game is really good condition for its age. I’ll get it going, soup it up and add it to the classic Stern row.
Nice score!!
rd
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

...probably just a fuse.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside