Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240405-005315.png
EA70E31E-2F5E-4442-AD6A-52E3EE9F0EE4 (resized).png
D1AF8715-0F73-4521-B1DA-76DB9839041D (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4531 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Ace Hardware carries a large variety of small parts. I needed a cap for one of my dolly wheels. Home Depot and Lowes each had 3-4 options, none the correct size. Ace had 20+ options including the exact one that I needed.

Ace is the place! We're getting an Ace 2 miles from me and I couldn't be more excited about it!

6 months later
#5550 2 years ago

Working on a Stern 9 Ball for a friend. The game boots with the tones then shows odd numbers on the displays. The game appears to be in attract mode because the playfield controlled lights are dancing around.

When I trigger the coin switches nothing happens, and when I press the start button nothing happens. Only thing noticeable so far is that the self test switch is faulty and slightly touching my finger on the button makes it start self test without actually pressing the button.

Ideas?

20210819_115139 (resized).jpg20210819_115139 (resized).jpg20210819_115047 (resized).jpg20210819_115047 (resized).jpg
#5552 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Make sure you have all 3 balls loaded. Nothing happens until all 3 are there.

All the balls are loaded and switches are in adjustment.

Decided to take a different approach. Installed an alltek board and booted up the game.
Still garbage on the displays.
Still no sounds from any of the coin switches.
BUT.. This time the start button started a game.

When the game starts I hear the background noise but the ball wont eject. So I checked the solenoid fuse on the power supply beneath the playfield and meter says it's got continuity.

I guess it's time to start checking for voltage with the meter.

#5556 2 years ago
Quoted from ckcsm:

Check you voltages on the solenoid driver board especially the 190 volts for the displays.
Swap out another solenoid driver board, preferably one of the never replacements if possible.

The solenoid driver board is a rottendog and last time I checked voltages were good. I'll double check again.

#5562 2 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Is the mpu running the original rechargeable battery or running nvram? If it's got nvram, you might need to clear the audits.
Are any of the coils on the playfield working?

Bluespin the original MPU does not have a battery on it. The alltek im sure has NVRAM.

Is there a button to clear the Alltek Audits? With strange displays, im not sure how to get to the audits in the menu.

I dont believe any of the coils are working. As the targets do not reset either.

**edit** I have a memory capacitor I could install on the original MPU. It was supposedly rebuilt and tested in 2017 and has not been used in a game since.

#5564 2 years ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

From the Alltek manual (the small box at the bottom is Table 1):[quoted image]

Thank you! I will try this when I get home tonight.

#5566 2 years ago

Finally some progress!!! Cleared the audits on the alltek board and now the board boots fine with normal displays now. Woohoo!!

Credit up and start game.... nothing. I found the playfield fuse between the flippers was blown. Changed it out with a 3A fuse breaker for now. First thing I check are the diodes. All diodes are on each coil. None are broken or facing the wrong direction. Decide to check the jones plug for the large 8 bank of drop targets. Bingo.

Game plays fine with the jones plug disconnected. So somewhere on the 8 bank I have a short thats blowing the solenoid fuse. The coil is showing 13 ohms which appears to be about right.

Thoughts?

#5567 2 years ago

Can anyone confirm?

I obviously see the one burnt coil. But is there supposed to be 8 coils here? Or is the 7 correct?

Thanks in advance!

20210821_001705 (resized).jpg20210821_001705 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#5700 2 years ago

I vote Seawitch and Stars.

#5704 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Is Ali that good of a game that no one is suggesting dumping it? I've never played one.

I was wondering the same. Never played one.

1 month later
#5871 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

for what it is worth - here are my repros available in various colours but not imprints
the material is slightly different in that it is slightly grainy and not a polished gloss look as it is professionally printed solid nylon.
with and without the guides and regular and with backs filled in = upgraded.
apologies about the price - that is Shapeways.
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinkscsdrops&sort=newest

Glad to know someone has recreated these. Any comments on the durability of these?

#5874 2 years ago

Working on a nine ball for a friend. Game is finally booting correctly and starting up mostly correct. I'm curious about these drop targets though. Most times when the game starts they wont all reset. As if a few don't catch the little ledge and drop back down. Is there something I'm missing that helps keep them standing better?

They're not nice and straight like drops from Williams machines. It's this the norm for Classc Stern machines?

1635869121257191941654502650493 (resized).jpg1635869121257191941654502650493 (resized).jpg
#5876 2 years ago

Slow motion video of the drop targets resetting.

#5878 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Joe Shadetree chiming in. Remove the drop assembly from the play field and place it on your work bench in a position that will allow the drop target reset lever full movement. Hook up a couple of jumper wires to one of the flipper coils so they will be hot when you push the flipper button. Connect the jumper wires to the drop target reset coil. Manually drop the targets and then hit the flipper switch to reset the targets.
If while in the bench, the drop targets mimic what you showed in your video, then there is some sort of problem with the drop assembly itself.
However, if the drop targets reset and stay up then you have eliminated any errors with the drop assembly.
Now, you have to figure out why the drops work on the bench but go whacky when mounted. I have my theory why this happens.

I like your clever idea. I think I will try this out and see what happens.

Will report findings afterwards.

#5880 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

it turned out in my case to be the relays that knock down the targets needed to be adjusted. The armature of each relay has a tab at the end that the target rests on. The tabs on the armatures for the targets that were intermittently dropping needed to be raised or lowered to get them in line with the tabs for the armatures on the "good" targets. You'll need to pull the target bank out to get access to the parts you'll need to adjust.

I think im following.. Does this adjustment involve tweaking or bending the metal tab up or down slightly to match the others?

#5882 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Yep, exactly. I compared the problem ones with the working ones and carefully bent the tabs to try to match their position. Worked like a charm, thankfully!

Great! Definitely worth a try. These Stern banks are a pain to get working properly.

Thanks for the tip!

#5883 2 years ago

frunch Im assuming these are the metal tabs you were referring to? They all seem to be fairly close to the same position.

Or was it something else you were taking about?

20211103_113355 (resized).jpg20211103_113355 (resized).jpg

#5886 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Take careful note of which targets are dropping and compare the position of those tabs with the reliable targets.
[quoted image]

Unfortunately none of these drops are working reliably. Most of the time when a reset happens a few fall but its not always the same ones.

Ill play with these tabs and also compare the new drop targets to the originals to see if there's anything that may be out of the ordinary.

#5908 2 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Most times when the game starts they wont all reset. As if a few don't catch the little ledge and drop back down. Is there something I'm missing that helps keep them standing better?
[quoted image]

Okay so I found a solution that worked great for me. The new drop target is basically identical to the old one aside from being just slightly shorter. A friend said to try shaving a little bit off of the coil stop to see if a little more travel would assist the lift bar in making sure the targets raised high enough.

This has seemed to fix my problem for now.

Hopefully this helps someone else having issues with their drop targets.

received_445524013941204 (resized).jpegreceived_445524013941204 (resized).jpeg
4 months later
#6601 2 years ago

I seen that! Very cool! Someone had shared some of these photos on the pinball enthusiasts group on Facebook. I'm very intrigued to find out more about the Stern Hypnox machine. IPDB has an excerpt saying it was only ever a prototype but supposedly there were 2 working machines at the factory before they closed their doors.

SmartSelect_20220407-172405_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20220407-172405_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20220409-060021_Facebook (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20220409-060021_Facebook (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 169.00
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=flashball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.