229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider duderegular.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3410 3 years ago

I have been looking to join the club. I even randomly messaged folks with a game listed in their collection looking to see if a sale could work out.

Well I tracked one down and after about a week of trying to get a deal done I have it.

Stars!

I am making a list of stuff to fix. So far the lower left standup target, right slingshot are both not working. The right spinner spins like crazy but barely scores. It will probably need displays soon. One drop target doesn't come up and a few aren't correct. But it fires up and plays! Super happy to have this one.

20200625_210136.jpg20200625_210136.jpg
3 months later
#4031 3 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

Thanks everyone for the help. Very informative. I'm a lonnnggg ways away from playing this machine (stars). It sat in a Missouri basement for some time where the humidity appears to have rusted a lot of the metal components so I'm stripping those out and tumbling them. Then I'll have to work on the playfield where the inlanes/outlanes have some paint chipping. Basically I have time to wait but it sounds like all of us need to hop on any lockbars that are out there.

Did you get it from facebook by chance? I saw one in Missouri over the summer and was working on getting it through some family in the area, but ultimately didn't get it.

#4033 3 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

No found it in eastern Washington. But the guy brought it back from MO, was his father in laws.
He gives this story that it was picked up by his father in law with bill clinton from the jersey shore.
TBF there is a tag in it that says “jersey shore” so if anyone played a stern stars at the shore back in the day I may have it!

Right on. Best of luck getting things up to snuff and playing!

2 weeks later
#4171 3 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Forgot to post this here, circa 1983. I'm facing West on Diversey. The Stern (old Chicago Coin) plant is a block behind me on the left. Note the Stewart-Warner plant tower is in the background on the right. That massive plant was demolished in 1993-94. There is a time-lapse video of it on youtube.[quoted image]

You drop the coolest historical nuggets all over the place. Much appreciated!

2 weeks later
#4231 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Want a new friend?

1 week later
#4274 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I've been working on my Stars which had the displays out. Long story short, I'm changing the rectifier board to a new Nvram.Weebly one.
My question is I was using this chart to hook it up.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Stern-ta100-16b-6.png
However, I noticed that this says it is for a 16B-6 transformer, and Stars has a 16B-3. Are the wire colors to the connections on the board correct? When I took off the old board, I labeled the wires but after I hooked up the board, I got really weird voltage readings and the board was hot as hell. So I removed the wires and started over.
Any help is appreciated. Transformer knowledge is something I lack in....

Watching as I have the same board coming for my Stars.

1 month later
#4428 3 years ago
Quoted from Hyperion:

I have all the red posts, original plastics (cracked) and new lockbar reciever installed.

Quoted from Hyperion:

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/214878943539773/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment&__cft__[0]=AZUq6zYtmPA3Dga2bZZfx_DKZPYHHPXv6BStRnho_QCk-w5bXLE61ukxk727gZDpec5I0KDj6xqp5XPN3j9wVwy8drdIMnnL1gFAIj6VBdyamaJhkXz4KMifixsone4wHuaYBw8Ct8gZIODLTLHKSpnU&__tn__=*bH-R
First off I'm not attacking this seller ... looking for perspective. Contacted this seller to ask what price he sold for? He said the full 2k. Is this feasible? The Nine ball I have is in better condition from what I can see in the pics. Just had the boards gone thru by Eugene Marsh, playfield protector, new drop targets installed, backglass triple thick sealed, new set of plastics and game thourghly cleaned and scrubbed.
what value?

Most of the classic sterns are way up in price. I paid 13 or 1400 for my Stars and it was not 100 functional. I wanted one and had been looking a while so jumped on it. Nine ball is a game I would like one day and those seem to be going nowhere but up.

3 weeks later
#4576 3 years ago

NC getting to be a hot early Stern market or what?!

Matt- When you get that Stargazer all fancied up, I may have to head out!

2 months later
#4839 3 years ago
Quoted from JLay:

Anyone know which stern sticker would be more appropriate for Stars?
[quoted image]

I checked my game and I don't have one.... Sorry no help.

3 weeks later
#5005 2 years ago

This thread is fantastic. Just wanted to put that out there.

2 months later
#5377 2 years ago

Any of the Classic Stern folks bringing any games to Pinfest? I will have a Stars there to play.

#5441 2 years ago

One of my Stars is listed in the market. The folks in this thread have helped me out a ton. So if anybody is interested in the game let me know and we can probably work on that price a little bit.

Machine - For Sale
Fully shopped/refurbished - “Stars for sale or trade. New rectifier board, a bunch of new connectors, a few new bulb sockets, a couple new switches, rebuilt flippers with new bats, silicon rings, new drop ...”
2021-07-31
Fayetteville, NC
Archived after: 6 days
Viewed: 396 times

2 months later
#5763 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I dunno I always liked the stern banks personally the way they drop so fast and smooth. But I’ll ask around.

I don't know if it's blasphemous or not, but since the repro targets are lacking maybe a bank that supports other style of drops while still fitting classic stern games would be worthwhile.

2 weeks later
#5799 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

How much would you guys pay for a non playing, but complete project condition Trident? Just wondering how much I overpaid
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Not working I would say in the 800-1000 range these days. Hopefully just a rectifier or MPU gets you up and running.

#5813 2 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Another Nine ball has surfaced. Overall, it’s in marginal shape. Lots of wiring hacks though.
This will get added to the restore queue that I have. So a couple years from now.
[quoted image]

Looks like a solid place to start from what we can see in the pics! Also spy EBD behind it. I love that one too.

#5851 2 years ago

It is awesome that you guys are looking to make new target banks. However, without good replacement targets to go in them....

I would love some new drop targets for classic stern games that actually drop effectively.

#5860 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This statement confuses me. I know some of the drop targets are too short but people have been shimming the lift bar a little bit higher.
I have repros in my Seawitch and my Nine Ball and do not have any performance issues.
What's up?

I have repro drops in my stars and they brick constantly unless it is a very soft hit. A direct shot from the rebuilt flippers is a certain brick.

#5862 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Questions:
Have you played your Stars with the original drop targets? Can you compare between the originals and the repros for brick action? If so, what looks different when the OG and repro targets are laid side by side and measured?

I have played other Stars machines with OG drops and they work pretty well. My game came with repros and no originals. The repro have the lip on the tops. I tried doing slow mo video shots and it looks like they bounce back forward before dropping. I am thinking they are too flexible and not rigid enough. Also I would prefer to not have the lip at the top. The repro also has the star logo placed lower than the originals.

#5865 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You can grind or sand off the lip at the top and make them look like the tombstone targets. I did one as test. Worked great. I can't move the stars, though.
Stern was not exactly using precision when it assembled its pins. Meaning 2 of the same pins sitting side by side will play differently.
What you don't know is how your Stars behaved with OG targets. It could have been Brick City for the first owner. If the owner was an OP, it would not have mattered to him.
IMO, what you need to check for is to see if the target slams into the rubber ring on the posts sitting behind. My theory is if the drop assembly is not positioned correctly or if the rubber ring is too close to the targets, then the targets will hit that post rubber and bounce back on you. I could be wrong, but I had a set of drops targets bricking on my new build. I set the posts back one hole diameter and the extra clearance made all of the difference and my brick problem stopped. That is my experience.
Go to this link regarding a Seawitch build. Start at post # 586 and read all the way. You might need to reposition your posts and rubber ring or reposition your drop target assembly. Or maybe the drop springs are not positioned correctly.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/seawitch-from-scratch-allentown-edition/page/12
What I am saying is that I think your brick problem is not associated with repro targets.

I am far from the first to be underwhelmed by the performance of the repro drop targets. In this thread there are many other folks have made the same statements. Listen to the slam tilt podcast guys talk about these drops. Same story there.

Quoted from swinks:

The repros are Bally targets with hoods. Stern and Bally targets are pretty much the same below deck except for the sensor tabs and spring holes and one is taller above deck than the other. I will dig up a comparison image from my design computer soon.

There is also the "Spine" on the front that appears to be different. Maybe not the best example pictured but I grabbed a couple targets from my old parts bin. This changed the height needed for the ledge or shelf. I know folks have flipped the shelf bracket to switch over to bally targets, but you can't really mix and match in a bank.

20211028_154223.jpg20211028_154223.jpg
#5869 2 years ago

https://www.slamtiltpodcast.com/
Gizmonic drgnlair

Bruce and Ron have done 175 episodes and extolled the virtues of classic Stern games in probably 175 of them.

Cottonm4
I appreciate all the details and info you have shared. Bottom line though is morphing a bally drop to work doesn't recreate the stern drop target with the correct embossed logo/number in the correct color. I am usually not that picky, but this is one of those things that I would love to have a faithful recreation of.

I don't have enough original drop targets to put in my game or I would. I would put yellowed ugly drops that played well over the new ones that brick. My wife comments on it too. That's when I know things are bad. I have been under the hood of this game. Waxed the parts like you mentioned before. Made adjustments. Tried tweaking the mech positioning, etc. I am not really interested in putting new holes in the wood to try to move the mech any further though. I would be ok with a brink once in a while, but not 9/10 shots not knocking the target down.

2 weeks later
#5971 2 years ago
Quoted from knazzo:

If somebody needs a early stern widebody lockbar in very good condition, i have two for sale. Also some early Stern Drop Target Assemblys and some other parts.

Any Star drop targets? I would be in for those if so.

#5975 2 years ago
Quoted from knazzo:

Only 2 used ones.

PM Sent

8 months later
#6987 1 year ago

Anyone have playfield and plastic scans of Dragonfist available? Thanks!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6989 1 year ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Cpr has the plastic sets in stock.

Hoping for the scans for a visual pinball build. Dragonfist is has a pretty old version done, but nothing that takes advantages of all the new fanciness available these days. I would certainly love a Dragonfist of my own though!

3 months later
#7535 1 year ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Need a little tech help on Big Game.
Yesterday, was playing a game and the right flippers went unresponsive, then came back online, and then permanetly stopped working.
So far, I've inspected for broken wires around the flippers (can't find any), confirmed the leaf switch at the flipper button is making contact and is clean. Checked fuses on the rectifier board... and gave boards in the back of the game a visual inspection.
Is there a bank of fuses I'm missing?
Thoughts?
I own two classic sterns, but really haven't needed to dig too deep, tech-wise. So, a little green here

Check voltages would be where I would start.

1 month later
#7713 1 year ago

Anyone have a part number or link for the spinner switch stack? It would be for Stars if there are various versions.

4 months later
#8652 11 months ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Haha. I'm afraid to play a Beatles because a) I hate the Beatles and b) I don't want to become jaded on my Witch. IDK, Beatles seems 'too' smooth. Now, there's something to be said about flinging the ball around the loop a bunch of times and watching it get faster and faster, but there are games that couldn't even get that right (looking at you, Black Knight 2000). You know it's bad when you get bored with a loop that gets faster and faster. I'd like to see a reverse-retro-retheme on a Beatles, back to a Seawitch. I wish they had made 20000 Beatles so that could be a possibility. It'll never happen because of how few they made.

I've not played a Trident, but I think it looks like it sucks. JMO. lol
How dare you speak ill of Seawitch, though! HOW DARE YOU!
I'm pretty antsy to play the Ali I bought. I've heard such mixed things on it -- it sucks, it's awesome, it's whatever.... Who knows. Mine is sitting in a warehouse in South Carolina just waiting for me to do something about getting it here. Doh!

How far is this warehouse from me??

And all this Stars talk... It is amazing. My favorite Stern and I think I have played them all now. Like said above, specials for 100k feels pretty fantastic.

Beatles really is a much better Seawitch. The looping alone is such a huge improvement, then add in skill shot lane, jackpot behind the drops, opto spinners...

#8658 11 months ago

She's in Summerville :p
I don't want it to sound like I don't like stars. I do. It's a good game, and even better when you consider its age. But it's definitely not on my top 3 Sterns. I do think I need to probably just pull the new code out and go back to chimes most likely.

Nice, get it from a dude named Thad by chance?

#8661 11 months ago

Sure did. I paid a bit more than I really wanted but it was one of my white whales, of sorts, and I decided I needed to jump on it.
Turned out he and my buddy both live in Summerville, so it was an easy transaction. It just hasn't come west yet. Lol

Good dude. Done a couple deals with him. That is a pretty good looking game for sure.

1 month later
#8893 10 months ago

Y'all are crazy. Seawitch is cool and all, but Stars is on another level!

#8930 10 months ago
Quoted from newovad:

Didn’t we just get done arguing about Seawitch over Stars? Potato pohtahtoh.

Ya everyone got together decided Stars is actually the greatest and sang kumbaya and we laughed and it was great.

Speakers on the other hand....

1 month later
#9377 8 months ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Added a restored build quicksilver today to my stern line up. Cheetah is next
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome collection!

1 month later
#9684 6 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Pile of decals going out first thing in the morning guys, had a few stragglers.
Meteor sold out! I picked up some more vinyl to do a few Dragonfist and now I have to run out to get fresh blades.
Gary

How much? Maybe if I start buying Dragonfist parts I can will a scratch build into existence.

2 weeks later
#9803 6 months ago

Dragonfist scratch/donor build questions:

Light board: cottonm4 have any or making any more of these? If so please put me down for one.

Cabinet: MPU-200 is the obvious choice for the bigger 16b-6 transformer, but will the 3 or bally transformer do ok in Dragonfist since its a two flipper, two pop bumper game? Opening up the quest to a bally machine may help a bit.

Standup targets: Anyone have a source for these? What is the width of the target face? I dig the look of the originals, but could get by with some targets with a center rivet if the size is correct.

I have a spreadsheet going of parts for this project. I can share if folks are interested. It still has some blank spots that I could use some assistance with for sure. Not sure I want to share it public right now though. Its on google sheets so if you want to take a look, send me your gmail and I can share with you.

1 week later
#9962 5 months ago

Marcos has a variety of wires to use for bending. Also have a bending kit. I have made a couple wire gates with it before. Its not perfect, but got the job done. Not sure I would have got the same results as what cotton just showed. Anyways, an option for folks.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-WS-KIT

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-WS-040
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-WS-051

1 week later
#10017 5 months ago

I really dig all the transformer/power/speed discussion.

For another wrinkle in the conversation, what are folks thoughts when talking scratch builds with fancy brand new clear coated playfields?

My initial thought is say a two flipper dragonfist might play pretty fast with even the -3/bally transformer if it has a brand new playfield and parts. My Stars has a auto cleared playfield and it plays pretty dog gone fast with rebuilt flippers.

#10021 5 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

So, I came back from expo with a Dracula, Trident, and Meteor. Was originally gonna kill Drac to make stargazer, but the meteor has damn near everything I need and a really rough playfield. Die it shall.
This latest back and forth gave me an idea though. When I get started on the SG in a couple months, I'm going to rig it up with both transformers on a toggle. Shouldn't be too hard to do, though I'll might want to put some thought into safety design to make it less likely I fry myself (I do some dumb shit around here when I've been drinking).
FOR SCIENCE.

breaking-bad-yeah.gifbreaking-bad-yeah.gif
#10025 5 months ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Sorry for causing all the drama. I know all of the pros and cons of -3 vs. -6 transformers. I was just looking for help in valuation. This one is far away and over priced so I’ll pass. Plus by looking around I found that he has a reputation for overpricing projects, threatening to part them out and never lowering prices. I’ll keep an eye out and something will eventually pop up locally.

I just saw that its the same guy we were discussing in the projects thread. Not a bad dude, but pretty well won't budge on things.

1 week later
#10114 5 months ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Feeling a little frustrated..I'm putting new solder on tips of wires. Putting first tip through back of hole E2 and soldering It still feels like the solder does not want to fill the ring and my first wire still popped off. I expected it to be permanent with this solder I have no idea what I could doing wrong Soldering getting hot, melts but still not a bond with metal ring. I bought one of the first solder that popped up that said for electronics. Is there a video that I can see if I'm doing something wrong?
Thx for any help.

Flux is your friend. First thing is tin the wire. Apply flux to the solder point and put a little bit of solder down while not completely encapsulating the through hole. Then heat the pad, put the wife in and add solder. Should come out looking nice.

#10119 5 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I admit - I laughed.

HA! not editing it now

#10159 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

For anyone shopping for a transformer, this Bally 122-125 remake from Homepin was an option.
Now, it is NLA.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/AS-2877-1[quoted image]

Looks like PBL still has them

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AS-2877-1

Not sure on how much stock they have.

2 weeks later
#10276 4 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

So, I thought I'd see what I could get outta AI for some custom Seawitch cards. Genuinely pretty awesome if you ask me. Bing image creator.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My buddy pointed out how AI has a really hard time with hands. These images look to have proven him correct. You can't not notice once you do.

4 weeks later
#10395 3 months ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I have a williams black from Marco, weighs 22g, and a white williams from Marco, weighs 19g
The Bally (generic enhanced) from pinball resource I have weighs 33g, and costs $17 https://www.pbresource.com/spinner.html
to add to the data my original textured gottlieb from games like alien star weighs 27g
and the plastic crappy gottlieb spinners I have weigh 12g
oh, and whatever this one is from weighs 38g. was in my alien star if i remember right, but does not belong there[quoted image]

My Frontier has that spinner in your pic.

1 month later
#10477 74 days ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Inserts GTG. The laser etch is a cool effect; on the bottom you can't really see it with the light off. Light comes on and bam, it pops. Still deciding on the bolts for the big blues. Don't want to get carried away, but think I may do the runic wheel on the shoot again insert, it's a cool effect.

That is really cool man

3 weeks later
#10587 51 days ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

ok so I have a stars with no chime unit.
Its got this weird french CPU board in it that does electronic sound (well it plays samples).
I really want to move to a weebly board as I run scorbit but I'm trying to figure out how I keep sound? Any one got any ideas?
Neil.

I am not aware of Stars electronic sounds on Alltek or the NVRAM.Weebly boards. The stars 2020 code can use a wav board to play audio through speakers, but that is not stock code. I am not sure if that one will play sounds with stock code or not as I have not run it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stars-2020-new-code-for-stern-stars-1978/

4 weeks later
#10704 21 days ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

Targets are new, spring is new: coil stop is loose at the head where it is "riveted" into the stop, but the large bore part (A-378) is unavailable from most vendors - waiting on Action Pinball to return from vacation to see if he has one. It is an aluminum sleeve and I'll get some nylon replacements but I don't have the larger bore size on hand. Will let everyone know when those parts are replaced and if any difference is noted. Thanks.

Does the middle target look like it may be bent a tad? That could cause it to miss the catch point or not grab enough at times. On a couple of occasions, I have applied a bit of heat to a target to bend it back to shape to help it grab the catch.

2 weeks later
#10735 43 hours ago
Quoted from piccolohl:

Encountering these in a seawitch, are you supposed to use a tiny nut to tighten the post? All the carriage bolty ones are just loose on this machine
[quoted image]

That was discussed recently if you scroll back. Some folks are switching to a T-Nut on the underside.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 959.00
$ 169.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 169.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 959.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider duderegular.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=duderegular and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.