Topic Stats

• 2,451 posts
  • 204 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 736 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0493 (resized).jpg
IMG_2433 (resized).JPG
IMG_2429 (resized).JPG
catdrop (resized).jpg
20191115_210609 (resized).jpg
FAF62236-D611-4528-B536-993FAED6E33F (resized).jpeg
6AC6F0DD-2F6E-4B8C-996E-7F4E58AF68E7 (resized).jpeg
16BFC20A-F6CB-4BE7-BD74-26B9182361C0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2346 (resized).JPG
IMG_6154 (resized).JPG
IMG_20191027_184835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2269 (resized).JPG
IMG_2268 (resized).JPG
IMG_2267 (resized).JPG
IMG_2266 (resized).JPG
IMG_2264 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (1 year ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (1 year ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (1 year ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (1 year ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (1 year ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (9 months ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (3 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 1 year ago

Seawitch is the only one that's fairly cheap and easy to find, I'd guess $1000-2000 oughta get you one if you look hard enough.

The others are extremely rare. $3000-5000 these days? They are great games and super rare so people just don't want to sell them.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

OP....Stern Meteor is a great game and is more available than the 3 (great also) titles you've listed. That may be worth hunting. They made a lot of them which keeps the price lower.

Well yeah, same with Stars.

Problem is, this doesn't help you if you want a Seawitch, Stargazer, or Quicksilver.

#31 1 year ago

RESIST!

These new ROMS always suck ass and serve mostly to provide Gizmonic with home field advantage at his tournaments!

#41 1 year ago

Someone sold a working nine ball with terrible playfield touch up here for around $1100 recently.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Stargazer is a $500 game. And just to prove it, I will buy every copy offered to me at $500
Stargazer is still a game I wish I had run across. A well tuned copy is just a joy to play. Unfortunately, it just has never happened. Yes, I realize it will cost me a lot of money once I do fine one. But it is such a fun game.

It's a lot of fun to play. I guess I don't understand the rules enough to think it's "too easy" and needs a cheesy ROM re-write.

I have to wonder if this could eventually get on the Stern vault radar given the high prices and the success of TNA. It could just be too much trouble and expense - Stern doesn't make cabinets like that anymore and new cabs on old games look and feel stupid - see the Kind of Diamonds remake. And Stern is selling enough new product that a remake disrupting the line and sales might not seem a tasty proposition.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

If Stern can make Nellie/PBR and charge what they did for those......they could easily start doing some Stern Classic remakes for $1K below Stern Pro prices if they really wanted to!

Nobody made any money on Whoa Nellie.

#51 1 year ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

That's because game play stunk......some of the classic Sterns have awesome gameplay!!

My point is that suggesting the Whoa Nellie price point and "ease" of production is a good jumping point for a Stargazer remake isn't really sound.

Nobody made any money and the project was a failure.

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The problem is, not enough people would. After the first 10 copies sold like hotcakes, there would be a huge group looking at it and saying "What, for that?". Most people just wouldn't appreciate it. So just because I want a Stargazer, doesn't mean there is enough demand to remake it.
Fortunately a couple of my friends own it, so I get to play it from time to time. Not the same as having it in my house, but at least I get to visit them.

People are paying $6000 + for TNA these days. I bet there would be a market for it.

Like I said, still not worth the trouble and expense for Stern most likely, especially in the wake of the Whoa Nellie debacle.

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

how many games does Stern realistically need to sell in order for it to be worth it?
Looking back at recent past titles I estimate that if they can sell 500 in total then the game average, 1000 in total and it is above average, 2000 and it is great!
If Stern made a modern Stargazer PRO model for 5300 they could sell 500 of them. Make a LE (updated art) to go along with it and I bet you sell another 500

I'm not in the business of inventing imaginary BOMs for games that I really have no idea what would cost to develop and build, I leave that up to others.

But I wonder if thats really worth their time at $5300. You have to build a completely new cabinet. these games all have plenty of drop target mechs and mechanical parts. Whoa Nellie they ain't.

You'd pay 5300 for a brand new Stargazer? Why not $5,800, or whatever a regular Stern Pro goes for these days?

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

I have Quicksilver, Star Gazer, Nine Ball, and Sea Witch.
QS is the best player, bar none. Capital Neo restored my original PF, it's beyond beautiful and plays like a NIB. Great art, sound, etc.

I love how these threads always turn into show and tell

How come nobody ever chimes in with "I got a stargazer, and it's a real piece of shit?"

These classic sterns rise above the Ballys because they generally have more interesting rules and playfield layouts I'd say. And much better drop target mechs.

#132 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I'm happy with where this thread is going. Really enjoying it. Might have found a seawitch.

According to too many pins this thread is single-handedly destroying Pinside and driving people away. Nice to see there's a survivor!

#136 1 year ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Thread is now doing what original poster asked for.

Oh thank god your pleas did not go unheeded!

#217 1 year ago
Quoted from HPR:

Yeah, i like classics Stern a lot but there's no comparaison between Stargazer and Fathom, for gameplay, art and quality Fathom is 100 miles ahead
Rare games means they did not sell very well and people were not attracted to play them at that time.
I have a Quicksilver for restoration and gameplay is fast and good but what i like the most is the some kind of weird space sounds
I sold my Stargazer 2 years ago to buy a Stern Star Wars premium. It was a very nice example but playfied art is so so, backglass art very nice, gameplay just ok.
Star Wars is 1000% more fun than Stargazer, it was a good move for me

I don’t think the “rare = bad” formula always works. Especially when you are talking about games from a smaller company with fewer distirbutors and reach like stern.

#234 1 year ago
Quoted from jkashani:

What do you guys reckon a really nice Viking would go for? Backglass mint, playfield the same and some touch ups on the red on the cabinet.

That's a bally not a stern!

2manypins ain't gonna like this one bit!!!!

(I'll answer anyway to annoy him - $1000-1500 I think. Sounds like an avg. viking bally glasses are always nice)

#250 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

Congrats!!! Mind sharing the price with us?
Just to throw my 2 cents in: i paid 700 for my Nine Ball about 2-3 years ago, and 900 for my Seawitch about 4-5 years ago... Both in players/routed condition, but i love them both. I don't forsee selling them any time soon.
Also, John Greatwich is in the process of making repro playfields for Seawitch...sounds like yours may be a good candidate for one.

This really isn't your 2 cents as these prices are well below market and don't really have a bearing on this discussion. I think the kids call it a "humblebrag!"

Congrats though I guess.

5 months later
#1093 8 months ago

I just got a Flight 2K for free!

That's really all I want to say.

Pretty worn out but it actually works. Can't wait to clean this one up and get it playing nice.

Should I keep the PC Fan mod?

I don't usually buy new plastic sets especially for beaters but figured in this case I'd splurge.
66612255-569D-4954-B781-963831B5821D (resized).jpeg7468D0E3-7F68-49BB-BD6C-1A130A062663 (resized).jpegEE0BFD5E-1A12-4DCC-BBA9-575F0E09DCEF (resized).jpeg8862493F-AB14-4B9B-9CC7-6E9F39E076AF (resized).jpegA2938D8C-D26B-4C33-841C-85FEF72C0C48 (resized).jpeg

#1095 8 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just did that for Stars. Most were broken though.
F2K is a great game. Very rewarding multiball and hard as hell to get to.

This one has the busted plastics at the maze - check out the cool clown mod!

Most sets are like that. There's 2 plastics that are always broken but I guess it doesn't make sense just to sell those.

I'll keep the spare slings and throw the rest out probably.

#1098 8 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I cannot see a reason for keeping the fan.

Thing sounds like a DC-9 spooling when you turn it on. It's really something!

#1104 8 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The problem with that set is the plastic that is always broken is broken on this set, as well. In this case, there are 2 pieces of a particular plastic. Both are broken. It is better than what Levi has so he might be able to make it work for cheap.

Yeah, we are all buying the same plastic set for the same 2 plastics. That's how it always is.

I figured screw it, it's $150 for the plastic set on a free game, and from what I can tell (the game is currently playing more or less) it's a really cool game that's worth the investment even if the playfield is worn.

#1117 8 months ago

This thing is coming along!

Fun game. I always thought the multiball rules were some confusing embryon like mystery but they are actually pretty simple.

7C49E585-55F6-4108-8389-B7E407824700 (resized).jpegB161D7EB-4A95-4540-B969-35B9CA2C7B3C (resized).jpeg
#1119 8 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve had mine for like a year and I’ve gotten to Multiball like 3 times. Pretty much the only way to break a million.

I got it a few times today, but the game has dead rubber still and nothings been rebuilt but the drops.

Seems like the hard part is BLASTOFF and then it just falls
Into place.

Cool speech on this reminds of Berzerk!

#1126 8 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I took the posts out I circled in green.
[quoted image]
The game is so nasty now.

Mine is playing pretty easy, again it's slow and dirty so I expect that to change.

Why did you remove the posts? Is that a standard tournament move or you just wanted quick games?

If mine is playing too easy I'd consider removing the rubber from the posts but taking them out altogether doesn't seem like much fun.

#1128 8 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

"Should be" or "are"? Where can I get them?
I have n Alltek's in right now but if I can get my factory MPU up and running a free play ROM would be nice.

You just need a cool free play switch mod like mine.

BF84FBC4-7033-4BF8-BB87-D1AB4176FA37 (resized).jpeg
#1131 8 months ago
Quoted from bluespin:

If you take the rings off the plastic post the post may break, but they’re cheap to replace. If you remove the post completely; the ball will break the outlane plastic at its top, you will develop wear on the playfield where the post was. When you replace the post later there will be playfield wear showing around that post

Just not a fan of pulling posts. Seems like "gettin cute" to me. Eliminates an important skill from the game.

#1135 8 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Levi, your coin door looks something American Pickers stumbled onto. I can just hear Frank saying, " I love coin doors". Yours looks like a good source of parts. Why don't you just sell me your coin door and you can keep a couple of twisty wires inside the box

LOL no way dude. I don't part working machines!

This thing is getting a full shop out, new drops, new plastics. I don't give a shit about some playfield wear.

Keep your grubby mitts off my Flight 2K!!!

#1138 8 months ago
Quoted from luch:

isn't easier to set the high score replay to like 10,000 points

That works as well, it's what I usually do.

I'll probably just leave this switch hanging out of the coin slot because it's funny. And I like the credit up sound.

#1142 8 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You can buy 5 drops for $4.00 each. Or you might give these a try: Tractor Doc has made a set of numbers stickers in the Stern style. I re-did a set of Big Game drops with them. They work great. $5.00 per set.
I'm waiting for him to cut a set of black stars.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1169-doc-s-pinball-shop/02288-classic-stern-drop-target-number-decals

These are awesome resources. In this case, I'd already broken one drop target so figured may as well replace the whole set. These are 40 years old after all.

#1186 8 months ago

Pretty much done with this thing. Turned out pretty nice.

I’m starting to see it chuckwart’s way. Game seems really easy. Just got 1.6 and two multiballs in one game.

Might be post-rippin’ time!!!

Anybody else find this one to be kind of easy? I have it on three ball and steep and I already opened up the outlanes as much as possible. I’m used to these old sterns being mean.
5F245214-84A6-42C7-8325-43356265D6D6 (resized).jpeg676698F9-E7CA-407A-9214-CCFFB5B452A6 (resized).jpeg879D8DDC-17CC-4138-89ED-BA6AA39307D3 (resized).jpeg9E04EDF2-E436-4A50-8443-A080DBCE48D1 (resized).jpegD89A10D2-1784-4262-88D7-1041150A916E (resized).jpegFACDD613-C8F5-4C66-9B27-1251F23CA940 (resized).jpeg

#1190 8 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Haha. Do it! Posts don’t last long in most of my games. This one they didn’t even last one ball.
Same with Stars. But those might go back in if I put it to 3 ball. I need more time on it though.

You are post-ripping Stars?!

Now I KNOW you are insane!

Put it on 3 ball, move the posts (not remove them) so the outlanes are open and you have a great playing game. Certainly doesn't need the post-ripping treatment. I've owned like 4 stars and I can say that with confidence.

I'll let you know how the Flight 2K mod works out. I'm gonna go no rubbers first and if it's still too easy I'll take 'em out.

I also may make it a little less steep as suggested. I just like games to play steep and fast but I also agree it can make it easier - less side to side and easier to trap.

#1197 8 months ago
Quoted from statictrance:

I am 98% sure the F2k at PAPA has the posts removed as well... )

Ha I actually checked their gameplay video for reference. It DOES have the posts, but that doesn't mean they weren't removed for PAPA/Pinburgh. In fact I played that game in the finals on stage at Pinburgh 2017 and got my ass kicked (first time I'd played it). It's all a painful blur but the game sure didn't seem easy.

#1206 8 months ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Adjust your flippers so they are inline with the inlanes. When they sag down like that, games are much easier from my experience. The ball nearly gets jai-alai'ed to where it needs to be. That left spinner shot to the ball walker is not easy, when set up properly. The right spinner and sweeping the targets is not easy either.

Not a bad idea. They are currently set factory resting on the roll pins!

#1229 8 months ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Well, hang on a minute. Those flippers on F2k aren't sagging, they sit lower for a reason. F2k is a widebody. You will find the same sort of flipper positioning on the classic Stern widebodies of that era. Players are supposed to be able to hit those outside shots. When you raise the flippers slightly, outside shots are harder and middle shots are easier and it is easier to catch the ball, too. Do what you want, raise the flippers or lower them, but those flippers sitting where they are isn't a mistake.
F2k is just an easy game, I blew mine up the first time I played it and sent it packing soon after.

See! Not always so cut and dry.

I’ll leave them as they are.

Also, I removed the rubber from outlane posts and the center post. Game is much better now. Scores down, but still a game of skill. Got a couple multiballs but certainly
Not every game.

If you are NEVER Getting multiball, I think your game is set too hard.

#1269 8 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

Speaking of Stern flippers, why do the rebuild kits cost so much more than all the other types of kits?

These were unavailable for a very long time.

I would
Guess there was a significant upfront cost to finally getting these parts remanufacfured.

Certainly
We should be happy they are now available.

#1311 8 months ago

Of course it does!!!

Always replace the linkage, coil stop, and coil sleeve on a WIlliams EM. They were pretty crappy when new but 45 years have done them no favors. And it's like a 10 minute and $10 job.

On a stern those plastic linkages seem much sturdier. But at least do the sleeve and stop.

#1327 8 months ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

Okay, now I see. It has the upper and lower level plastics. The lower is clear and the ball contacts, the upper has the artwork.
Does anyone have any extras they are willing to sell? I'd prefer not to have to buy a complete set. Yellowing or cracks okay.
thanks,

Which plastics are you looking for? I have an incomplete used set in ok shape not the big ones up top left but most everything else.

#1330 8 months ago
Quoted from canoncitypb:

I need the bottom plastics that lead to the flippers. They are long and thin and curved. If you have an upper layer and a lower layer, I could use both. I need both sides.

There's a lower layer?

#1332 8 months ago

I'm pretty sure on my flight 2k there is no lower layer of plastic for the inlanes.

the repro set I bought didn't have these either.

What I'm trying to say is I have an extra set of inlane plastics but no lower plastics to go with it. WHich I don't think exists.

1 week later
#1382 7 months ago

I know it'll be out of my budget but looking forward to seeing the Esquire's Ali.

1 month later
#1495 6 months ago

Doesn’t matter if deal was decent or not. Looks like a nice game!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 157.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside