Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clodpole.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6412 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't think so....I didn't even tough that connector before a rebuild so I'm sure I jibered something else up.

Your wire order, color and placement match my "Transformer Schematic General Use" for J1.

#6420 2 years ago

I think the nylon spacer on the long blade of the upper flipper switch should be touching the long blade of the lower flipper switch at rest. Yours has a big gap and may be allowing the long blade of the lower flipper switch to oscillate when actuated. Look at the right flipper switch stack in this photo and you can see that there's no gap at rest:

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1580&picno=32849&zoom=1

It's worth a try to adjust the entire lower (main) flipper switch pair upward (as viewed in your photo) so that at rest, it's touching the nylon spacer on the other switch.

#6422 2 years ago

I know what you're saying! Still, it looks right and works right - that ain't too bad.

2 weeks later
#6475 2 years ago

Sorry to interrupt (I'm interested in the rectifier board discussion too), but...

My F2K slingshot kicker islands are held to the playfield by machine screws which pass through star posts from under the playfield. Underneath, mine have a pair of jam nuts and a phillips head on the machine screw. On top they do not have the nut shown in these photos. Both pics are of a "standard" F2K, I think - not mine.

My machine screws wiggle in their holes; should I have something other than the machine screws, or can I add nuts to the top? Would that still allow acorn nuts to fit on last?

F2KNutAnnot (resized).jpgF2KNutAnnot (resized).jpgF2KSlingAnnot (resized).jpgF2KSlingAnnot (resized).jpg

#6476 2 years ago

I think this is what's supposed to be installed, but where do you recommend getting it? PBR is out of stock:

Post (resized).jpgPost (resized).jpg
#6490 2 years ago

Regarding my clingshot kicker bolt question - thanks for the helpful advice! I'll study it later today.

One question, though - If Stern originally used carriage bolts passed up through star posts from below, did they put a metal nut on top and then an acorn nut?

#6492 2 years ago

Thanks!

#6498 2 years ago

Resuming the sub-thread re: my wiggly slingshot post screws (sorry for the Mirco de-rail):

Comparing what you explained to me about original Stern carriage bolts, I see what a previous owner of my F2K did. He replaced carriage bolts with 2.5" 6-32 machine screws, jam nuts and washers. Oddly, 3 of the 4 sling islands have no nuts on top of the star posts, just acorn nuts on top of the plastics. I imagine that helped get the playfield holes out of round sooner.

Anyway, what if I wood-glue dowels into the oval holes, redrill the holes, then use the machine screws with t-nuts below the playfield? I can add 6-32 hex nuts above the star posts and finish with acorn nuts on top of the plastics.

IMG_2492 (resized).JPGIMG_2492 (resized).JPGIMG_2494 (resized).JPGIMG_2494 (resized).JPG

IMG_2497 (resized).JPGIMG_2497 (resized).JPG
#6500 2 years ago
Quoted from izzy:

Thx for all of the replies. Sounds like there are several good ones to choose from.

Ditto that from me as well.

#6510 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Yes. Dowel rods are the perfect repair. TIP: when you glue the dowel rod in, take a punch and knock the dowel down into the hole just a little bit; this makes a nice drill guide so the drill bit does not wander around while you are getting the drill started.
Also, running the machine screw thru the t-nut up from the bottom is the way to go, IMO. I did my Star Gazer build like that.

Thanks for the help, cottonm4 - maybe some day I'll see your Star Gazer when I'm in Wichita. That's one of the most beautiful early Sterns, for sure.

#6522 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You live in Renton. Can I assume you work for Boeing?
Star Gazer #1 is sold and gone but I have some other classic Sterns you can try out.

Yeah... well, I did. Retired now and enjoying fooling with old games.

#6530 2 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

That’s what I would do.

Good - thanks. I'll pick up some T-nuts today.

#6532 2 years ago
Quoted from TomT:

Update the issue ended up being a bad connection in the Molex connector between the playfield and head.

One time Butch Peel told me "always look at the simplest, earliest on the schematic, mechanical things first". That's a wild paraphrase, but you get the idea.

1 week later
#6582 2 years ago

We raise a glass of NuWay root beer in salute! Your honesty does us all good, since we've each done some *#@&! thing like it.

NuWay (resized).jpegNuWay (resized).jpeg
#6587 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thank you, sir.

I do not like to come to the board asking for help and then not post the solution.

Nuway root beer is good. Come to Wichita and I buy to a cold one I live 1/2 mile from a Nuway and stop in for lunch everyone in awhile.

I agree - posting a problem and then dropping the thread is a pain. We'll be happy to join you at NuWay (Douglas?) next visit!

#6596 2 years ago

Another Harry Williams design, right?

2 weeks later
#6628 2 years ago

Wow, that's coming along nice!

In the background of photo #7 (with the laptop showing inserts) there's a white pinball machine with what looks like a red and blue scuba diver on it. (The machine would be straight across from your booth on the far side of the hall.) What is that? I don't recognize it.

#6631 2 years ago

Ohhhhh! That's a cool looking machine.

#6633 1 year ago

Stern drops appear here often, either bricking or falling off on their own. My F2K 3-drop was doing the latter and it appears it was due to the plunger stop. The plunger would hit the stop just as the targets were reaching the ledge. The 5-drop plunger could lift the targets 1/8" or so above the ledge before hitting the stop.

I compared the stop with one from a Bally 3-drop unit. The holes are drilled about 1/16" too far in the direction of the arrows in the photo, as compared to the Bally. It made for a compressed spring washer and very tight solenoid fit.

With the Bally stop installed and spring washer free to do its job, the targets seem to reset and hold properly. One more thing to check if your targets are falling on their own.

Stop (resized).JPGStop (resized).JPG
#6636 1 year ago

A small number of solenoid coils in my F2K have spring washers installed. Most don't.

Did Stern put 'em in originally? If so, to what purpose?

Thanks!

#6638 1 year ago

Thanks!

3 weeks later
#6774 1 year ago

Sorry to interrupt, but...

Further my education please: under what circumstances would you replace an original Stern SDU board with an aftermarket one?

#6782 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

It is mostly the easy thing to do. A lot of people don’t have the skills to repair an original one. This means it needs to be sent out for repair which costs money and time. Replacements aren’t expensive so pulling the trigger on one isn’t a big deal. OEM boards start sounding bad as the caps age. I prefer replacing the caps but I do see the appeal of just replacing the board.

I was unclear (I think) - I meant the Solenoid Driver board. Does it have something to do with sound as well?

#6789 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Sorry, I should have caught that. Stern driver boards kinda suck. The Bally boards of the same time period are better. Bally used heavier traces. As a result, the Stern ones are more prone to trace failures. Modern day replacements run cooler, aren't 40 years old and have extra features like Led lights and extra circuit protection. I like OEM but I can fix it if something goes wrong. I always recommend aftermarket stuff to my customers for the reliability of the new components.

Thanks! And, congratulations on your Stargazer. I got to play one at my friend James' house recently - it's a beautiful and fun game.

2 months later
#7082 1 year ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Its too bad So many meteors and galaxies are being
Frankensteined into stargazers,quicksilvers etc.
None of my business but I hate to see an original game from the past essentially erased.
Just my opinion and I'll take the arrows.

I'm right behind you, lowbeau67 - I'll take what arrows don't hit you first. We have, and enjoy, a pretty old Flash. Talk about an underappreciated game!

#7088 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I understand your misgivings, but 5100 Galaxies were produced, and 8100 Meteors.
1200 Quicksilvers, 879 Star Gazers were produced.
So, one has been traded for another.
Some Meteors have been sacrificed and the remaining ones are going up in price. That will slow down the sacrifice.

Funny, isn't it. The market is sort of self-leveling. When we restored our Bally Sea Ray, we used parts from a dead Circus. It donated its backglass to someone else and its cabinet to yet a third collector. It lives on, so to speak, in the form of a bunch of organ transplants.

2 weeks later
#7177 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That's a good catch. That lug touching the angle bracket could possibly feed electricity back through the bolt and possibly be shorting out another lug in the stack.

My upper left sling does the same thing, but only since I replaced the original solenoid driver board with a new Alltek one. You guys have helped me try numerous possible fixes, but so far, the phantom kicks persist. I believe this really is a feature of '79-'80 vintage Sterns.

I'm going to look to see if there's a solder tab in contact with any bracket just to be thorough. Still, if that was the case, it should've fired the sling with the original Stern solenoid driver board too.

#7182 1 year ago

My game is F2K, with Alltek MPU, SDU and Lamp Driver boards. It had a LOUD burp on power-up and no upper left sling phantom kicks before I replaced the SDU with a new Alltek one. Now it doesn't burp, but it does phantom kick.

I think that's a pretty good trade, honestly.

I don't have a way to burn ROMs, so I'm happy to live with it and participate in this discussion.

1 week later
#7242 1 year ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Our set up at the Dory Hill pinball camp out
[quoted image]

The camp out is Far Out! It's also Far UP! Do you guys build rest breaks into the day's activities for people to catch their breath?

#7250 1 year ago
Quoted from KJL:

A few people have said it is too steep at 7 degrees so what is the recommended pitch for Sterns. I figure as steep as it can shoot but also want to try the recommendation.

Kenny

The steeper you set your playfield, the faster the ball will move downward (toward the flippers) and slower it will move upward. If your playfield has slingshot kickers that face each other, like Flight 2000, steep playfields goof up how those kickers interact.

It's my preference to set the playfield angle lower, to allow kickers and pop bumpers to work the ball back-and-forth faster. Everyone (honest!) who plays my 70s-vintage games comments on how fast they play, and they're all set so the bottom of the cabinet is nearly level.

Experiment with lower angles and see what you think.

3 weeks later
#7365 1 year ago

I'm going with choice "D".

That's gonna' look real nice when you get done. How long do you figure it will take, and are you using (pick one):

1) One rotisserie

2) Two rotisseries

3) Other (undoubtedly unique and clever)

2 months later
#7761 1 year ago

Here's a thread on bending new wire for old spinners:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-way-to-add-wire-on-spinner

#7778 1 year ago
Quoted from trecemaneras:

I have a spinner with one leg broken off that I was thinking of bending the other leg into a ring and using it as a keychain, but I had no idea you could rewire a spinner! Is the wire actually loose inside them?

If you look closely, you'll see that the wire doesn't actually go through the spinner, but around - in a groove.

1 month later
#7901 1 year ago

Check the back side of your solenoid driver board for cracked solder on the connectors. That will cause the reset impulse to the solenoid to be too short to get the drops up sufficiently.

#7916 1 year ago
Quoted from frisbez:

Here's a video for Galaxy. Spinner lit at 40k and unlighting after shooting the kicker.

Also the drops staying down ended up being a wire making intermittent contact. Still occasionally have a drop fall on reset but much less frequently and the game is recognizing it every time now.

Intermittent contact! Good catch.

#7945 1 year ago
Quoted from bluespin:

And some safety glasses.

...and probably a paper mask. That rust dust is pervasive and you can taste it for quite a while afterward.

#8013 1 year ago

Did you find a spot somewhere else where the previous owner had moved the on/off toggle? Maybe his grandkids were as good as mine at finding power switches.

3 weeks later
#8167 1 year ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:You need to adjust the EOS switch to have more pressure on the contacts when they are closed. The switch and coil are getting warm causing a loss of power.

For easy confirmation, lightly touch the coil once that flipper's started getting weak - it will be obvious if it's overheated.

#8169 1 year ago

Well, wolftownjeff and I had a little side discussion which led to no improvement in his circumstance. Sometimes two brains aren't better than one.... I'll let him describe things as they now stand.

1 week later
#8272 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

First I thought it was loose screw that was lodged in one of the pop mechs. But that didn’t fix the issue. It was what I mentioned just above about the two screws meeting in the middle of the playfield wood to make a connection/short.

Hey @chuckwurt, what did the lamp flicker look like? Did all the GI lamps blink in unison?

#8307 1 year ago

Different subject:

Have you ever seen factory documentation on how to set playfield pitch on these early Sterns? I know we each have our own preference, but what did the factory recommend?

#8311 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Between 6.0-6.5 I believe.

I'm gonna get one of those clinometers that cover 0 to 10 degrees. I know when my games play the way I like 'em to, but I'm curious what pitch(es) that may be.

Clinometer (resized).jpgClinometer (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine Beach, FL
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 959.00
$ 169.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 12.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 169.00
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Buffalo, NY
$ 10.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clodpole.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=clodpole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.