229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chalkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#267 5 years ago

Stars is not seeing enough love in this thread. Set it to special = points repeatable and it's the best game of all time.

#275 5 years ago

There's a comma. Classic Stern.

#293 5 years ago

How is Nugent? I was a fan of his music before he went insane.

2 weeks later
#357 5 years ago

A seawitch with improved geometry and new style drops would be excellent if it wasn't at the rumored price

1 week later
#478 5 years ago

I'm interested to see if they did anything with the geometry of the lower right side of the playfield vs. classic seawitch. I love my seawitch but those shots are stupid tough and usually just "lucked" when I make them. I've got a williams flipper there I can't imagine how impossible they'd be with a classic stern fatty.

RE: Lectronamo - if your drops are flush don't adjust them up whatever you do. You'll get crazy airballs. I'd be interested to see what that "add a 2nd rubber" method would do in this area as well as if it would affect the drops from dropping.

#550 5 years ago

semicolin you can get some really weird lamp behavior if anything from the coin door harness has grounded. Not sure if that might be what you have going on but maybe worth a look.

1 week later
#588 5 years ago

Tsskinne did you make sure your EOS was properly gapped on the resting position as well as "flipper up" when fully assembled? I've seen people burn up a coil because they set the gap when wiring the eos switch but before installing the coil stop (stops the flipper sooner).

I'd make sure that the flipper assembly is still fully free moving. Starting to get weaker could be the coil / sleeve starting to deform due to heat. If the coil heated up that much it'll continue to cause fuse issues etc even if you resolve the root cause. You can check the resistance at the lugs vs youe working coil.

1 week later
#624 5 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

the drop target bank on the left of right in the middle

Dude... what?

Make sure the contact surfaces are clean. Lift the playfield and actuate the arm manually and see if you can figure out what's going on. It may be binding near the top of its travel or you may have an issue with a spring not pulling forward enough. Compare the target ledges and see if they're worn.

1 month later
#742 5 years ago

I know it's more efficient to do it that way but it still makes me nervous to not do them one at a time to be absolutely sure I dont mix any up.

#756 5 years ago

I've got a Stars for trade in Richmond, VA if anyone is interested. Projects ok.

1 week later
#826 5 years ago

I had a minor issue with an Alltek board and it was replaced immediately with the latest revision. I've purchased a ton of his boards for MPU, SDU, and lamp driver and only had that one minor issue that was immediately resolved. Weebly gs Ben my go-to for rectifier boards as it saves me a few bucks with the roll-your-own option. You can't go wrong with either company as far as I'm concerned.

#827 5 years ago

Does anybody have classic stern lockdown hardware looking for a home? My Stars has the lockdown bar with the round pegs but no locking hardware. PM me with your monetary demands!

3 weeks later
#971 5 years ago

Spinner tuning post in the seawitch thread I made in response to a guy who's spinner was leaning forward, preventing spins / loops:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-seawitch-fans-on-pinside/page/12#post-4814673

2 weeks later
#1002 5 years ago

Has anybody installed one of the new playfield protectors on their stars or meteor? Do they cause stucky balls on the drops?

2 weeks later
#1157 5 years ago

I have a stern stars set to 50 cent play. The coin mechs don't count together, you have to put both coins in the same mech. Is there a good way to overcome this like putting a jumper between the wires so both sides coin up, or is it better to have one coin signal for both sides or something?

2 weeks later
#1307 5 years ago

Maybe I'm not tracking what you're saying but a new flipper mech will have more bounce because it doesnt have the slop in it the old linkage will from decades of use. That being the case what you think of as feeling right is just being used to playing with worn out mechs.

#1310 5 years ago

The bakelite definitely eggs out both around both the roll pin and the pawl over time.

#1313 5 years ago

No? What's it made of?

1 week later
#1381 5 years ago

That galaxy was beautiful. The gloss on the cab was a really nice touch I wouldn't have thought of. Was it spraymax?

#1384 5 years ago

Did these games come with coin boxes? I've had 4 and none came with one. If they did have them will somebody snap a photo for me?

2 months later
#1648 4 years ago

It's beautiful!

1 month later
#1872 4 years ago

Looking for a wild fyre. Can trade an Alien Poker or negotiate cash.

#1880 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

I don't know if you want to make the long haul, but we have a customer in Harrisburg, PA, who had a Wild Fyre for sale. If interested, I could check if he still has it.
Jim

PM sent, thanks!

2 weeks later
#1985 4 years ago

Can an SB-300 be used in place of an SB-100?

2 weeks later
#2097 4 years ago

Still battling airballs from my seawitch center drop bank. I put it new drops and a new rubber and it still occasionally flies up. Looking at this is the rubber at about the appropriate level? Just higher than the center of the ball? Should I try mounting the drops farther back so there's less space between them and the rubber? There isn't a lot of play in the mechs or the posts but I can try to justify them together as much as the screw holes allow. The drops are about exactly level with the PF.

20190829_120518.jpg20190829_120518.jpg20190829_120531.jpg20190829_120531.jpg
#2102 4 years ago

Lower left mostly. Occasionally one from the lower right or upper left which is what makes me think it's more a drop geometry issue than flipper power. That said, nothing would shock me as it has 3 Williams bats and the lower left is actually a bally mech with the longer metal shaft and the original stern coil. I have the parts to do rebuilds on all 4 flippers including the appropriate bracket / mech eventually.

I've been trying to analyze if it's hopping a cupped insert or anything and can't see anything obvious.

#2117 4 years ago

That's funny I was thinking I might try to raise mine and stop it from being possible in the first place!

#2119 4 years ago

Just to prevent someone else from nearly having a nervous breakdown I had a reset issue caused by a cracked solder joint on a diode on a slam tilt switch. Of course, worked at the time I tested it so I had gone an entirely different direction and did a lot of tail chasing. Probably not it but worth being in your list of possibilities.

1 week later
#2175 4 years ago

The top row of segments is out in one of my displays. I followed Kukpa's guide. All connections reflowed, the associated transistor and the chip both replaced as well as the 100k resistors. There is continuity from the last pin that appears to connect to the top segments to all the other components in the chain. The display is certified as the issue through swap out to other slots and cross verification. Anything else to look at before I give up?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 month later
#2360 4 years ago

Does anyone have a fix for the rivet coming off on the lockdown bar lever? Can it be attached with a nut / bolt if the receiver is removed?

20191021_162604.jpg20191021_162604.jpg
1 week later
#2380 4 years ago

Yeah probs just needs a memory clear.

Protectors work great to neutralize the effect of cupped inserts.

1 week later
#2408 4 years ago

I have a Lectronamo with the original SB-100. I've been reading that it has "chime circuitry" that can be used, but can't find any guides or anybody that has said "yeah I've done that". Is it really as easy as wiring up an existing chime box and flipping a dip switch on the MPU, or am I misunderstanding what it means by chime circuitry? I don't see any tip102s on the SB-100, so how does it work, send a signal back to the MPU which tells the SDU to fire the correct chime coil?

#2412 4 years ago

But how does it work? Are the chimes connected to the SDU like the other coils? What is the role of the sound board in this? It seems like with a ROM change necessary it would just be switch -> MPU -> SDU instead of switch -> MPU -> SB-100 -> MPU -> SDU.

I'm assuming the SB-100 doesn't drive the coils but maybe I'm wrong. The schematics for Lectronamo didn't have anything indicating where chimes would be connected.

#2417 4 years ago

Someone said Nugent is the same ROM as Lectronamo, is this the case? If so, how do I get the ROM? Happy to make a donation to the cause or help beat test. Also have a Wild Fyre I can convert if you're planning on ever working on that one.

1 week later
#2460 4 years ago

Weird coil issue on Stern Lectronamo. Works intermittently.

Switch is registering because it scores points

Always fires when grounding the transistor, ruling out wiring

Solder has been reflowed

Transistor replaced just in case

No amount of wiggling wires on the mpu or SDU will fix it when it's not working, but it always fires when grounding the tab.

The problem never appears with an Alltek SDU installed

Does an intermittent problem like this sound like it might be one of the chips on the original SDU?

2 weeks later
#2524 4 years ago

That is horrifying

1 month later
#2625 4 years ago

Lectronamo sb-100 replacement complete! Woop! Thanks to @Gott-leib and especially @Slochar!

#2629 4 years ago

2 hard parts: a badass has to have written the ROMs and you need to procure a chime box. The rest is wiring.

#2633 4 years ago

If you're going to have 4... that's a pretty good set.

2 weeks later
#2700 4 years ago

Cripes that's over $600 per ball.

3 weeks later
#2757 4 years ago

How nice / new is the playfield and what kind of clear job did it get?

1 week later
#2859 4 years ago

Nice. IDC = ugh.

Speaking of which is there a good not PITA method to converting pass through IDCs to crimp I don't know about?

1 month later
#3130 3 years ago

When you guys are doing swaps / restorations how do you clean the rough under apron metals too big for the tumbler? Just rubbing alcohol the gunk off or anything to further clean / shine /smooth?

#3154 3 years ago

Does anybody have plans for making a stern or bally cab from scratch? Would be an awesome business shipping these in a flat pack.

#3169 3 years ago

A $300 flat pack would be amazing. I got 5 on that 750 for whoever has a classic bally/ stern to send.

#3190 3 years ago

That thing is super minty. Cab / playfield restored?

#3200 3 years ago

On purpose to avoid copyright / trademark or something?

#3213 3 years ago

Nooooo Kulpa's site was awesome.

#3218 3 years ago

Nice. I just fish around blindly with the magnet on a steek for 10 minutes before realizing it somehow bounced into a bundle of wires.

1 week later
#3309 3 years ago

Would a spot welder get a nut welded on a threaded rod solid enough or is it too thick? If one had a spot welder they'd be quick to produce.

#3311 3 years ago

What is it about my statement that makes you think I'd like to do this while it was installed in the playfield?

3 weeks later
#3398 3 years ago

Don't kill wild fyre!

1 month later
#3558 3 years ago

The the bakelite piece out and see what's binding. The plunger fingers probably just need to be spread out a tad if they're pinching it. Or just might need cleaning on the pivot points.

#3560 3 years ago

Yeah on closer look the tip of the bakelite piece came off. Getting a whole new plunger might be easiest but I think you might be able to get just the bakelite from PBR.

3 months later
#4178 3 years ago

Cool product. Consider not supporting terrible people.

3 weeks later
#4310 3 years ago

John please finish the seawitch run before starting another project!

1 week later
#4359 3 years ago

Re flipper drag: remove the coil stop and see if the bat has free movement with the coil being held in place with your hand. It's possible to have the coil misaligned slightly when tightening the stop. If you can get it to move freely even with the stop just loose a little bit this might be the issue.

3 weeks later
#4419 3 years ago

It hasn't been talked about a lot since it's an $800 playfield to go in an $800 game. Don't get me wrong, one of my favorite games ever and I'd love to get a new playfield for it... but the price of admission is just too high.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 959.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chalkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=chalkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.