Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcaderaid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1963 4 years ago

Thanks for talking about older games on a podcast. I like the other podcasts out there but as interesting as the latest JJP or Stern is there is a zero percent chance of me ever dropping 9 grand on a pin. There are so many great old games and most of the podcasts ignore them.

2 months later
#2390 4 years ago

I have a beehive over cupped inserts on a Flight 2000. Completely flat now.

3 years later
#9180 9 months ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

Toasty connector on the bridge rectifier board in my recently acquired Meteor

My F2K is a bit darker roast.

Check out the far right pin on J2. Moles housing is completely melted away.

I keep meaning to build a new board and re-pin everything but it’s all still working so…….

IMG_3063 (resized).jpegIMG_3063 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#9282 8 months ago

Hey all,

I was having issues with the left flipper on my Flight 2000 so I decided it was time to replace the coil. I had already done the left side a few years ago so the right was due.

I popped in a brand new j-25-475 and soldered it up to match how the old one was installed.

When I turned on the machine it booted up fine and started a game.

When I tested the flipper the game instantly reset and went dead.

When I turn it on now I only get 6 pongs instead of 7 and the game won’t fully boot.

Looking closer it looks like I blew the 7amp fuse F4.

I can certainly replace that but any idea why replacing the coil on the flipper would cause that? Just a fluke or could something be wired up wrong?

#9285 8 months ago

Okay. I see the problem now. I double and triple checked the wiring and swore it was the same. Once I went to post the photos I stupidly realized in my reference photo I’m holding the coil with the lugs facing up while installed they are facing down. Doh!

So the outer wires are reversed. I guess I have some soldering to do and need to dig up a 7 amp fuse.

#9287 8 months ago

Okay so I got s new fuse in place in F2K and I noticed the right flipper makes a bit of a buzzing sound while holding/cradling. ( I recally the old one was doing that too before it crapped out) I took a look inside and noticed the brand new coil was getting nice and hot and about to let all the magic smoke out.

So, I'm guessing maybe the voltage is off going to that flipper? Is it weird that it would be too hot going only to the right and not also to the left?

The rectifier board in this thing is a real mess, has been since back in the 80s when it came off route. It got toasted at some point and someone rebuilt it. I have been meaning to put in a new one at some point but kept putting it off as it seemed to be working fine. Do you think this is a sign it is time?

What should I be testing?

#9290 8 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Easy to figure out, no need to guess. Not unusual for a coil to be hot, especially if you've been testing it out holding it in a trap position for a while.

Hot yes, starting to smoke though? That's not normal. This wasn't just hot, it was starting to smoke.

#9293 8 months ago

I guess I don't know what you mean by end of stroke opening. I did notice that when I flip either flipper the GI lighting dims slightly each time. It didn't used to do that.

#9295 8 months ago

Ah, gotcha, yeah, if it doesn't open fully I can see how that would be an issue. I'll take a look. Thanks.

#9296 8 months ago

I took a look at the flipper this morning and tried to test out whether or not the EOS switch was opening and lo and behold...i can't tell. Turn out the coil got so hot when I was holding down the flipper yesterday (for like 10 seconds) that it melted the coil sleeve. So, the flipper won't flip even manually so no way to really tell if the EOS is working. It DOES look charred like there has been arcing. I figure I can just replace the switch either way, looks like it could stand a fresh switch. I'm guessing my brand new coil is fried now too. Boo. Time to place another order. While I have you all here reading, anything else I should watch out for besides the switch? I'd hate to re-do all of this and ruin another coil.

#9298 8 months ago

It had a 7amp in it and that blew for sure when I had the coil wired backwards. I replaced with another 7 amp and re-wired the coil. That one did not blow when it got toasty.

#9301 8 months ago

If I toasted the transistor too would the flipper have worked at all?

The new coil was from Pinball Life.

#9306 8 months ago

Yes, Flight 2000. It calls for 7 amp. I did put in a 5 amp after the original 7 blew when I wired it backwards. I saw many people saying 5 was fine as others here have said. The 5 blew after a few flips (probably due to bad EOS but I figured it must just really need 7 and not 5. I’m going to replace the switch and order a new coil and try again. Always something to learn.

#9314 8 months ago

That’s interesting. Is F4 on the stern rectifier board supposed to be fast blow or slow blow?

#9326 8 months ago

Just wanted to drop back in and give a shout out to everyone who made suggestions on my Flight 2000. It WAS the EOS switch. I rummaged though my part bin and found both a spare switch and a serviceable coil so she's flipping again.

6 months later
#10545 61 days ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

True, but just at a glance it sure looks like most of them are. I haven't taken them out to confirm 100%, but my drac, Seawitch, and lightning all look like the same slings. Regardless, seems like I ought to be able to find a simple way to get the plastic shapes into corel to send to the laser. Kinda having fun just figuring out what to do with it...thought about working up some led lit acrylic toppers for giggles.
I need to stop coming up with new projects, lol.

My wife made me acrylic protectors for F2K. If I recall we went with 1/8 inch larger so they sit slightly out from the original and provide more protection. They look great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
$ 169.00
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcaderaid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=arcaderaid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.