229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider a_bord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2393 4 years ago

I have one on my Meteor. Works great over cupped inserts.

2 months later
#2683 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Mark me down for one. I would absolutely love this.

Same.

1 month later
#2793 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I think it was added during the Meteor runs? because some Meteor's left the factory withOUT them. (Mine included..)

Yeah, my Meteor didn't come with it, either.

1 month later
#3133 3 years ago

Good advice. I never get a good sense of what can be done to keep the sanded/polished metal from corroding again. Is wax enough?

#3160 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If someone were to send him a cab he would at least be in a position to make flat packs. His Williams cab flat packs cost around $300.00. So, by the time you put it all together, your sweat equity will be around another $300.00.

I would jump on a $300 flat pack in a hot minute.

#3202 3 years ago

At least it isn't missing text and incorrect fonts on a $700 playfield...

3 months later
#3617 3 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

$10 dollars - I would replace on my current games.
$20 dollars - If I needed them. Might keep 1 set in stock. (I have some on parts playfields, loose though)
$25 dollars - Starting to feel it in the wallet
Thanks for doing this.

Same.

1 month later
#3785 3 years ago

2 at $20 each or 4 at $15

2 weeks later
#3880 3 years ago

Are the pins really at the intended resting position of the flippers? Here I've had my flippers set up without enough angle all this time.

1 month later
#4118 3 years ago

#4145 3 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

basically a universal replacement drop target mech for any machine you could think of and would be great for homebrew as well.

Would love to see something like this happen. I have a homebrew project planned that needs controlled drops and no way am I gutting a Nine Ball for it...

1 month later
#4301 3 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I received a offer of both titles. Nineball looked very good as a file & I did not open the other (stitch scan). I need art ready to print. So all the colors not needed in print would need to be removed & other things fixed. The scan was 600 dpi, & my first printer said 300 dpi is good enough for production. I just confirmed my plastic lense order for 3/4" & 1" blue trans circle lenses. There is a real lense shortage going on!

I have the high res scans of Nineball and Big Game but they're stitches so I would need to verify position of everything with someone who has a stripped version of one of these and can do a ton of measuring for me. That or I would need a roached version to work with for a couple weeks. Even then we're talking about dozens of hours of cleanup to get colors reigned back to their screen printed colors, plus dust management. I have pretty good skills for this but not the time, unfortunately.

4 months later
#4794 3 years ago

On my Meteor I frequently get balls shot out of the trough so forcefully that they hit the metal plate and bounce back into the trough without enough momentum to come back out. Machine is dead level at around 6 degrees. Trough has no discernable flaws. Coil is at spec. Happens frequently enough to be a PITA. Anyone have a solution?

#4799 3 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

The end of the trough guide is forked. Shim the top fork up a bit and the ball will roll back into the shooter lane. This will also change the angle that the ball exits on and help stop the bang backs.

I see we've been here before. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

(this was from a few years ago https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/23#post-4864065)

2 months later
#5297 2 years ago
Quoted from Alby:

Hi,
Currently restoring a Meteor and in the process of buying parts but having trouble with 2 parts.
BUMPER BODY - DEAD (B-10431) Marco or Pinball Life dont have stock and im having trouble working out what part number i need to replace the yellow stand up.
Any help would be appreciated.

I replaced my dead bumper bodies on Meteor with parts from The Pinball Resource but was told they're hard to find right now and that Steve was almost out of them. I imagine he'd also have the yellow target.

3 months later
#5875 2 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Working on a nine ball for a friend. Game is finally booting correctly and starting up mostly correct. I'm curious about these drop targets though. Most times when the game starts they wont all reset. As if a few don't catch the little ledge and drop back down. Is there something I'm missing that helps keep them standing better?
They're not nice and straight like drops from Williams machines. It's this the norm for Classc Stern machines? [quoted image]

That's a pretty nice looking pf. Tell him to get some clearcoat on that thing.

2 weeks later
#5985 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I figured that from looking at the schematic, what about other titles?

None that I can think of and I know classic Sterns pretty well excluding Viper and Lightning.

#6022 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Also, do all Meteors have a 2 button test mech? I see on older machines it is just the one.

I have an older. It has an extra red screen printed layer on the meteor art around the bumper and a single button in the coin door.

2 months later
#6348 2 years ago

I didn't have any luck in the Cheetah club thread. Hoping to get some traction here:

ISO original Cheetah plastics, any condition. Physical plastics or 300dpi scans. Thanks!

#6354 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I have these two scans
[quoted image][quoted image]

@hammerhead, thank you! 2 down, a few to go.

1 month later
#6504 2 years ago

That's too nice a Meteor. Find a beater.

1 month later
#6677 1 year ago

Looks wonderful!

#6697 1 year ago

I have new set of Star Gazer plastics. Protective film has been pulled back but it has been put back in place. Color is a dark blue (see scan sample). Solid print colors so they are likely silk screened. Didn't come with key fobs like the newer Marco offering. Screenshot 2022-05-16 165117 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-05-16 165117 (resized).jpg

$140 shipped in US. Should save you $30+ over retail if you want a new set.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6702 1 year ago

Would really love a couple sets of slingshots. Is there anyone else that does this kind of thing that we could approach?

#6707 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

With prices of everything shooting to the moon, how much would you pay for a pair of slims levers?
The last time I canvassed people about price, I think &25.00 each was about what anyone would pay.
Maybe Pinball Life would be who to call as PL said he would not step on Kerry’s toes.

Yeah, I'd say $25 is my limit. I could commit to two, possibly three additional if my next project comes through soon.

2 weeks later
#6838 1 year ago

[***SOLD***] Cross posted from the Seawitch club. I'm selling a very nice Greatwich Seawitch repro. New, never installed. $525 + shipping from 63122. One small drip in the clear can be sanded out or ignored completely. Will consider local project trades.

PXL_20210929_171439262 (resized).jpgPXL_20210929_171439262 (resized).jpgPXL_20210929_171705617 (resized).jpgPXL_20210929_171705617 (resized).jpgPXL_20210929_171708562 (resized).jpgPXL_20210929_171708562 (resized).jpgPXL_20210929_171711267 (resized).jpgPXL_20210929_171711267 (resized).jpgPXL_20210929_171715399 (resized).jpgPXL_20210929_171715399 (resized).jpgPXL_20210929_171639474 (resized).jpgPXL_20210929_171639474 (resized).jpgPXL_20210929_174016432 (resized).jpgPXL_20210929_174016432 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#6854 1 year ago
Quoted from Apinplayer:

I know it's a long shot but wanted to see if anyone has an old left side slingshot kicker arm they want to sell? It's for a Stars I'm working on and I want to keep it as original as possible. I actually found the broken tip in the wire harness when I pulled it off lol.
[quoted image]

This is the same one we've all been anxious to get reproduced by someone, isn't it?

1 week later
#6930 1 year ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Speaking of Big Game, any news regarding repro playfields from any makers? This will be my first restoration attempt and lack of options are of course holding me up

I had sent Greatwich art before he folded up operations. I believe that all went to Greg at Fantastic. No idea if he is still pursuing it.

If history is any indicator Fantastic will offer Big Game at some point and CPR will immediately announce their version of Big Game with shittier artwork. That Seawitch maneuver was shameless.

2 months later
#7169 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

I am running into another interesting issue (or should i say frustrating?) on my SG conversion project.
The left slingshot fire during game play, which i think i narrow down as happening once in a while when i flip either flipper (maybe even when i release the flipper).
I crossed out a switch issue as the slingshot fire without scoring any point. I swapped coils, even swapped the whole slingshot assembly and it always stay with the left side so i thought it was a issue with the ground.
I swapped another brand new solenoid board and i got the exact same problem. I run a new dedicated wire from J2-9 to the slingshot coil and still had the same problem, so it isn't the board or the wire?
I moved J2-1 and 2 (flipper sw) and J2-9 into a new connector and only plugged those 3 in J2, same problem still...
The flipper assy are brand new from PBL and looked like they are wired correctly with diode in the right place as well? How would that even short the left slingshot ground?
Am I missing something here? What would make that sling activate?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wish I had a solution for you. Every so often this happens on my Meteor. A flipper will trigger the left sling. Happens once every ten games or so. Sounds like yours might be more frequent.

#7183 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I had an uneducated hunch recently about this but are you all suggesting there may be phantom triggers related to the newer aftermarket boards? I was thinking about how my F2K and Galaxy don't seem to have misfires on coils but my other classic sterns do. The difference between those two and the others is the original vs aftermarket (both Weebly and Alltek).
I'm not trying to besmirch the good names of Weebly or Alltek, but is that a possibility?

Mine has an original board and still misfires on occasion.

1 month later
#7361 1 year ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

CPR just posted 9ball playfields.

I'm afraid to look.

3 months later
#7874 1 year ago

I sent Seawitch plastic scans to FantasticPinball some time ago hoping to see them reproduced. Hope that is still in the works.

2 weeks later
#7937 1 year ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

I just did a long-delayed playfield swap on my Stars, and am really in love with the results.
As with any playfield swap, I:
- cleaned the wiring harness
- fully disassembled the drop target banks, cleaned all parts, waxed the metal, replaced coil stops, and in this case replaced the drops with Swinks targets. These things are *great.*
- Installed Yoppsicle lamps for all controlled lights.
- new GI sockets
- Rebuilt the slingshots
- Rebuilt the pop bumper
- cleaned all coil brackets and waxed against future corrosion
- cleaned all trough metal guides and waxed.
I was always puzzled as to why Stars’ flippers felt weak compared to my Meteor and Stars, even after rebuilding them. Turns out the coil value was different and I just hadn’t been paying close enough attention.
I replaced the stock coils - J25-500/34-5050 - with the more common coils, J25-500/34/4500. The difference was massive. The flippers finally feel correct, not like they’re struggling to propel the ball. Everything is snappy and responsive.
I’ve had this Beehive playfield hanging on the wall for close to 2 years, so it was great to finally get it in the machine and do all the deep work I’d been wanting to to make it play its best.
In order to offend the purists maximally, I’ve also got Dick Hamill’s Stars 2021 code running. I love being able to play the game in two completely different modes. Honestly I still play Stars primarily in Classic mode, but being able to boot up a completely different rule set and soundscape is mighty cool.
Very nice work by both Mike Lund at Beehive Pinball and DickHamill!
Next will be to restore the cabinet and get this thing minty fresh. But for now, it plays beautifully, and that’s the most important thing.
Beehive Stars 2.0:

Beehive Stars 2.0 w/2021 Rule Set:

Looks great!

2 months later
#8651 11 months ago

I’ve only played Nine Ball a couple of times but it turned into a sort of white whale for me once I saw how damn much money people were getting for them. Maybe I’ll hate it, lol. But I can at least sell it and make back most of the money I put in, I guess.

I don't think you'll hate Nine Ball. It is a phenomenal game if you like offbeat layouts.

I'm on a similar trajectory. Collecting parts for a scratch build. Currently looking for a trashed Stern donor cab w/ hardware. I'm good on playfield parts and mechs.

#8682 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Did you get yourself a play field?

I did! Found a kicking deal. Fingers crossed I can find a donor cab now.

2 weeks later
#8753 11 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

While I have been doing my builds here are a couple of things I do that may, or may not, help someone out.
For me, the easiest way to set the inside rail for the shooter lane is to cut a block of wood the same width as the shooter lane. Than clamp the block and drill two holes to get the rail mounted to the play field and then drill and fit the remaining holes. It will be located straight and square reliably.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I also use the classic Stern pop bumper housings if I have them or the Data East units if I don't.
I like to drill a hole in the housing to feed to two pop lamp wires through. It helps with keeping the wires nice and tidy.
[quoted image]
The benefit of running the wires through the hole is that it 100% keeps them away from the travel of the pop skirt pointer. If anyone decides to do this, it is important to drill the hole in the same place as shown in my pics. If you drill the hole on the wrong side then one wire will be moving right through the skirt pointer.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Great tips. Thanks!

3 weeks later
#8843 10 months ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

FWIW, my original Meteor playfield had the post before I swapped in a CPR, tho it looks likes an operator hodge-podged in a plastic post with washers....doesn't look factory.
[quoted image]

My early run Meteor has this same post configuration.

1 month later
#9211 8 months ago

Could someone school me on the difference between an mpu 100 cabinet, say Trident for example, and an mpu 200 cab, say Nine Ball?

Would like to retire an mpu 100 game to build an mpu 200.

2 weeks later
#9344 8 months ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

Wanted NOS Cheetah playfield. I will pay top dollar for the right playfield.
J

I have one in my restoration queue. Will be great when complete but waiting on a buyer to continue on it. Let me know if you're interested, Jecco74

4 weeks later
#9550 7 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Yeah, drama aside Greg/fantastic makes a far, far better product than CPR.

100%

#9571 7 months ago

PXL_20230908_162119785.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20230908_162119785.MP (resized).jpg

PXL_20230908_031609849.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20230908_031609849.MP (resized).jpg

PXL_20230908_030442666.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20230908_030442666.MP (resized).jpg

+1 I've done a number of these for myself and others. If you have the ability to airbrush the results are great.

earlystern (resized).jpgearlystern (resized).jpg

#9575 7 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How does it work with the center pieces inside the "P", the"R", the "B", the "A", the "D"?
[quoted image]

Transfer tape goes over the top of the cut stencil and holds everything in place. After the stencil is stuck to the apron the transfer tape is removed. There are index marks to make sure each stencil aligns. Think of it like each stencil recreating each screen print layer.

2 weeks later
#9714 6 months ago

Start Gazer is great fun. Top shelf game.

3 weeks later
#9909 5 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have not yet heard anybody talking about scratch building a Nine Ball. If you have managed to locate the long drop target, the single drop target, and a wire harness, you are almost there. Almost.
You are going to need one of these wire forms. If you have one, treat it like gold. It is Nine Ball only, AFAIK. I made more than a few wire forms for Catacomb. I don't know if I can make one of these for Nine Ball or not. I'll give it a try once I get some other things finished.
[quoted image]
This wire operates the scoring switch up in the U-Turn.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Let me know how it goes. I have accumulated the major NB hurdles but not that wire yet.

2 months later
#10402 3 months ago

The problem is that the solenoid is on the end of the assembly and doesn’t not lift the targets consistently from one end to the other. It makes intuitive sense to tighten those set screws while the targets are down, but that’s the issue. Raise the targets up past their reset height to be sure they are all clearing the bar that they rest on when reset. I use a small clamp to hold the plunger all the way up against the coil stop, and tighten the set screws while it is in that position. This way, the tabs that need to engage the metal bar will come up over it by a healthy margin, like a full 1/16” or more, rather than just barely clearing it.
When the target is not raised high enough, it will drop on reset because it either never made it up to the point where the tab hangs into the bar, or it just barely made it and then slipped off. The longer the drop target bank, the more critical this setup becomes.
It takes a bit of fiddling, definitely do this with the bank on the workbench, but once it’s done, it’s DONE. No need to tweak or alter the bank, no need for stronger springs, none of it. I’d be curious to talk to someone who worked on the assembly line back in the day to find out what their process was like, we could all learn a lot.

Someone pin this post.

1 month later
#10584 51 days ago
Quoted from JakePG:

What's your guys' process when picking up a classic? Do you replace only things that need it, or do you usually go ahead and replace all the switches, coil sleeves/stops, flipper rebuild, etc...

Rebuild flippers, rebuild bumpers, repin connectors. Everything else I leave unless it isn't working.

#10590 51 days ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I've yet to document it well but the NVRAM.weebly.com mpu has a dedicated socket to plug in an Arduino. There is also the six pin plug for the external sound trigger.
Do not try to use the breakout board that plugs into mpu j5 on my replacement. It won't work and may damage a hc32 or the cpu chip.
To use the Arduino....
Remove 6802 at u9. We can't z state a 6802 like a 6800 so it must be removed.
Change two jumper shunts from 6802 to Arduino. They are near the Arduino socket. This routes the oscillator to the external clock divide by four circuitry.
Plug in programmed Arduino to dedicated mpu socket directly.

Seriously cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 169.00
$ 169.00
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 12.00
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 959.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 959.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider a_bord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=a_bord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.