20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Shenanigander.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#634 5 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:Any recommendations for fixing drop target brick shots?

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Loosen the springs.

I put new drops on my Trident and they don't drop worth a shit! I tried tightening the springs tighter and tighter 3 times. So all this time I should have been trying to loosen them?

#636 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Yes! tightening them would make it so they are less likely to drop. The tension keeps them latched. You want the ball to hit them and knock them backwards so they slide off the ledge and drop down.

I was thinking with the tighter spring as soon as the drop Target was knocked off the ledge it would be more prone to getting pulled down.

#638 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

People like to add weight to drop as well...althoguh if they're already in you're too late for that

Really? Interesting. How do they do that? Pennies on the back or something?

#641 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You want the spring just tight enough to hold the target in the "up" position. The target will fall of its own weight. As Vid stated one time, if you apply some wax to the target "rest" bar and some wax to the edge of the target mounting point, "they will drop like stones".
If you have a drop target assembly that is all scuzzy and greasy you should remove it, disassemble it, clean it up and wax the moving parts. Once you have done that, just toy around with it for awhile and see how easy the targets drop when you give a slight push with your finger.
I read this tern "bricking" that gets talked about. I guess bricking is when the ball hits the target but the target does not drop. My thoughts on that are that maybe the drop target assembly is not located correctly in its slot on the play field. I'm learning that Stern's factory assembly was anything but precise. If a drop target assembly is located too far back in its slot then possibly the back of the drop target is contacting the play field wood before it has a chance to drop. I'm not sure, though. It is just a guess. But if my targets were not dropping properly per engineering design, proper location of the drop assembly is the first item I would be checking.

This sounds like good advice! I will tinker with this. I did hear that the new drop target molds are a little different and some people refuse to use them.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Add a length of of solder along the length of the shank.

Hmmm I would think that the solder would get knocked loose after some time?

#654 5 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Hey all - Quick question on this Split Second I'm working on. So the good news is - It was up and working when I got it so now I'm just cleaning it up and working out the kinks. One thing I'm trying to confirm - when I have 2 balls locked up top, and I hit one of the 5 target bank the speech board starts saying 'Hurry, Hurry, Hurry' over and over again. I just wanted to know if that's correct, cause then getting additional (all 5? I swear I had a ball kick with only 4 down...) unlocks one for 2 ball multi ball so it makes sense - but the way it says it over and over makes it sound like a glitch. (then again, it's early 80s speech, so). The only one I'd played before was at Papa, and I don't think it has a working speech board - so I was hoping to make sure that sound was correct.
MB rules for this game are nuts, BTW... either hit the loop for top speed to light inlanes to release balls, complete the 5 bank 4 times to light the lights, make the top targets fast releases one ball, etc... and I may be missing a scenario there. Also - I didn't see anything in the manual - any scoring bonus to having 2-3 balls in play?
Picture included for the hell of it - someone asked to see progress, but it went from just in to up and running, so here it is. Next up is a full tear down/clean and wax, re-rubber, and touch up along the bottom of the glass. There's more paint loss on the playfield than I'd like to see, but I should at least be able to protect it and keep it in mind for a touch up/clear somewhere down the line.[quoted image]

I cant say for sure but I have listened to a lot of slam tilt podcasts (they are big classic stern fans) and they make fun of this specific call out all the time and they both just repeat hurry hurry hurry so im guessing that is what they are making fun of!!!

2 weeks later
#700 5 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Looking good Jim! You know you want a Tiger Rag!!!

P.S. Good recent interview on Slam Tilt (I think it was slam tilt, I listen to so many podcasts and interviews I lose track)

Good luck collecting all classic Sterns!

#707 5 years ago

Good decision.
My big game last night needed some love[quoted image][quoted image]

That board is something else. Pretty sure my power board on my big game is just at toasty but I have a replacement board if needed when I bust out that project!

#710 5 years ago

Good decision.
My big game last night needed some love[quoted image][quoted image]

That board is something else. Pretty sure my power board on my big game is just at toasty but I have a replacement board if needed when I bust out that project!

Yup. Put a new one in from Steve young last night. That was easy. Rewiring all those connectors was a nightmare.

Haha, I haven't done one of these boards yet but confident I can!

2 weeks later
#745 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Christmas eve meteor repinning.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Haha awesome! I should try that. I am a one pin at a time guy as well but this way seems more efficient for sure!

1 week later
#775 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Well the galaxy I purchased will be sitting for awhile before I get around to it so I figured I would tackle the mpu alkaline damage before I store it.
Game booted up and played when I bought it so I figured the damage cant be that bad. Boy was I wrong. Battery was actually leaking liquid alkaline onto the lamp board.
I removed the mpu, clipped the battery then rinsed in acid toilet bowl cleaner while scrubbing the damage.
Then a rinse in 99% isopropyl alcohol and a blow dry with my compressor and air gun.
Next remove all damaged components and all headers, then refloat solder on any bare copper.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Major surgery! Looks like she will survive though. Nice work!

#776 5 years ago

Coming along nicely. Purdy!

#795 5 years ago

Start stripping the topside. More work to go still.
[quoted image]

Man you are on a roll!!!

#800 5 years ago

Hot hand, dracula and seawitch playfield swap all in the queue right after!

You are an animal!!!!!!!

#806 5 years ago

I learned something today that I thought I would share. I imagine some of you know this already but if you are using on altek board in a Stern 200 game you must change the clock setting jumpers over to the left side or else the machine does not play right. everything is slow. That was new to me and fixed my problem perfectly!

#809 5 years ago

Ive switched over to using the weebly boards...

Hey guys. I actually also have switched over to Weebly boards but I like to have on altek on hand so that I can troubleshoot it in any old Bally or Stern but I like the Weebly board action as well.

#817 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

If you guys haven't seen Weebly now has an all in one board similar to Altek and cheaper. A friend just informed me yesterday, check it out!
https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html
https://nvram.weebly.com/uploads/5/4/2/5/54255141/mpu_combo_info-12.01.18.pdf

That is awesome! I think I should buy a few!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#818 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Does Altek not offer this?

Altek is more expensive. Other than that Altek is good to go as well.

#852 5 years ago

Congrats on the new addition to the family. You have about 50 children now according to my calculation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#855 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Many thanks for posting the solution. Every little bit helps.

I bought 100 caps and I usually just replace them all. Super cheap and easy to do. Gives all the switches a fresh new start!

1 week later
#919 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

From the Throw Nothing Away Dept.
I figured out a new use for those old worn out lamp sockets. The metal is rigid but still soft enough you can bend it all over. You know, you have done this hundreds of times when you replace bulbs.
Don't throw that old lamp away. The metal strap makes great brackets.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That is brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to make the seawitch ball jam plastic thing soon and this will work well I think!

#920 5 years ago
Quoted from WeatherbyMAG:

Making progress on Dracula....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looking awesome!!!!!!!

#968 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I'll post pics soon but finally getting most of my sterns up on legs and getting them running.
Meteor is pretty much done for now with a big thanks to cottonm4.
Stargazer is playable but rough. All the rest are untested or non booting but I will get it done. Almost all of them are hacked severely at the rectifier boards so most will be receiving new rectifier boards and rebuild the connector side.
My big push is on star gazer , quicksilver and seawitch.
Quicksilver is rough. It's back on its legs for what seems to be the first time in a long time.
Checked voltages at the rectifier board some are off and hacked so I pulled the transformer board today as it's way easier to replace or repair the rectifier boards on the bench.
Stargazer same issue same fix as quicksilver for now.
Seawitch is actually booting and playing with a new cpu. Needs a good clean and I need to replace some drop targets and the spinner then it should be done.... for now.

Nice man. I really have to get over to your place soon and check out the action.

#977 5 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

I will change it... easy with to copy!

Very nice!

3 weeks later
#1082 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Had to downvote that lol. Only solid state that should be on 5 ball is joker poker.

Haha. Agreed!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 959.00
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Machine - For Sale
Copenhagen
$ 12.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Shenanigander.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=Shenanigander and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.