229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GorillaBiscuits.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1930 4 years ago

John your 9 Ball sounds like it might be too much of a project for you... it happens, we all get over our heads sometimes. I just want to let you know that I’m here for you 24/7 to take this basket case off of your hands anytime you’re ready

#1933 4 years ago

Heh... truthfully sounds like a relatively minor roadblock for you... such a killer game and definitely worth putting some love into for sure.

After all the stuff I’m doing to make my 8BD behave I’m more than happy to wait a year or five for you to work out the kinks on your Nine Ball... I want that thing purring like a kitty cat by the time I convince you to sell it to me

Oh and quick alltek LED board question... does it smooth out the insert fading like an led ocd? Or is it solely to make them not flicker?

5 months later
#2678 4 years ago

Favor time. Could somebody scan me a picture of the following PAA Tournament decal? I've seen some on a few machines here.

I'd like to redraw it in Illustrator and have it printed on die-cut metallic foil... but the PAA logo would be better as a retouched bitmap hence the scan request. I'll probably get a bunch made as the price between one vs. twenty is negligible. Will follow up here when I get them made if anybody would like one.

In my case, I have a perfect apron on my Quicksilver aside from some minor wear on the upper right side. The game itself is restored and it's making me itchy knowing it's there

Rather than decaling the other-wise gorgeous screen print it I'd prefer to cover it with this, which I happen to think looks pretty dang cool.

Thanks!
Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 10.25.32 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-01-24 at 10.25.32 AM (resized).png

#2680 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have one I can scan for you. But you will have to wait for 2-4 days as I get my schedule caught up.

Amazing. No rush and thanks a million!

#2684 4 years ago

Happy to cover anybody that wants one!

Rather than clog this thread with “I’ll take one” comments, let me circle back once I get this made and I’m happy with it... at which point I’ll then post a picture and invite anybody that wants one to PM me.

Not looking to make a profit on these so would be actual shipping / packaging and whatever the sticker costs to produce.

2 weeks later
#2719 4 years ago

Foil P.A.A. Tournament Decals have been redrawn! Thanks to cottonm4 and getadam for the great references.

Will get these out to print over the next week or so and will check back in when I get samples. Should be fairly cheap if this printer works out.

Please, no PM's until I have the real thing in hand, I'll have plenty to cover whoever wants one

Speaking of PM’s, since I have your attention... I’m still looking for a Nine Ball wink wink nudge nudge.

Sticker_resize.pngSticker_resize.png

#2730 4 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Are you guys kidding me. This is incredible. I need 2 of them STAT!!!

Just placed an order for some prototypes today. Went for pure reflective silver foil as well as holographic foil. Not sure which would work better so had to try both. Should have samples back in a few weeks!

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 3.14.06 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-02-19 at 3.14.06 PM (resized).png
#2732 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That scan turned out nice. Sharp and crisp lettering.

Scan? I wish LOL. I redrew the entire thing in illustrator. The foil made it impossible to scan unfortunately as you mentioned when you sent me the ref... thought I could do some color tweaks but just didn’t work.

But if you think it’s a scan that means I did a decent job so cheers!

#2735 4 years ago

OK last update on apron tournament stickers until I have them in hand in a couple weeks.

Just got a digital proof for silver and holo. Holographic is probably a bust but had to try as an alt.

Once I have them I’ll post real world pictures and open the floodgates for interest / orders.

184C0D17-774C-47A1-893A-E1EE3A18AD31 (resized).png184C0D17-774C-47A1-893A-E1EE3A18AD31 (resized).pngE6926CF2-64C9-4FB0-A6F1-5C911241B8B9 (resized).pngE6926CF2-64C9-4FB0-A6F1-5C911241B8B9 (resized).png

#2738 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Were they holographic? I thought they were just metallic silver?

I am not sure. Check these pictures out. All references provided to me look like plain metallic silver, but the type itself shifts from yellow to a bright yellow green which I am not sure will happen on the silver. I have a local friend that has one on his aprons... I want a dead match so will compare both and see which works best!

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 10.11.39 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-02-20 at 10.11.39 AM (resized).png
#2741 4 years ago

Good points and now my bet is on silver. But with a 3 week turnaround wanted to cover both angles!

#2746 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I own a printing company. Send me specs and artwork and I will quote.

OK!

#2748 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The scans were useless

But your phone snaps were PERFECT so thanks again!

#2751 4 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

My Quicksilver can't wait for one of these!

Your other one can't wait either

1 week later
#2774 4 years ago

Attention fellow Classic Stern Nerds: YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED!

Got the tournament decal tests in. I think they both look great, I'm actually going with the holo version on my personal machines.

These are macro shots, so that texture you see in the blacks does not show from a few inches away and looks solid black in person. Yellow text is nice and shiny, again hard to capture.

If you'd like some of your own, please PM me with how many you'd like and which version you prefer along with your shipping information.

Feel free to mix and match.

I will not take any money until these are ready to ship, I'll give it a couple weeks to collect a tally/order and then should be another couple to receive and drop in the mail.

These will be mailed in 6X8 cardboard photo mailers.

Cost? 3 U.S. dollars a piece plus 5 dollars shipping to continental US or 7 to Canada.

PayPal Friends/Family (just your username in comments) or venmo works for payment.

Cheers!

04_holo (resized).png04_holo (resized).png03_holo (resized).png03_holo (resized).png02_Foil (resized).png02_Foil (resized).png01_Foil (resized).png01_Foil (resized).png
#2776 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Looks great. I like the foil unit. For $3.00 each, I might fantasize and put one on all my Sterns, whether Papa recognized them or not.

I'm doing the same. I've always been enthralled with the way these look. First four are on the house, thanks for taking the time to get me those reference shots!

#2783 4 years ago

Thanks all. This is shaping up to be a pretty large run!

The cut-off for orders will be March 14th. I'll keep a few extras on hand but I'm providing these at cost basically so I'm not going crazy with a stockpile.

I installed the holo on my Quicksilver. Looks amazing to me, but at some angles it does get pretty shiny!

Here's a quick video showcasing the difference between standard foil (bottom one) and holo:

Also, here's a quick snap of how the holo fits my apron. Foil is same size obviously.

Again, no money to me until I have these in hand and ready to go. Should be early April.

holoRef.jpgholoRef.jpg
#2785 4 years ago

Just announced it a few posts up! Just PM how many you want of each version and I'll bug you for money in early April when I have everything in hand. $3 a pop, $5 shipping and handling continental US / $7 Canada. International I'd need to figure out depending on the country.

#2787 4 years ago
Quoted from Pingball:

Would you mind sending me the Quicksilver so I can see the difference for myself?
Then I'll know which ones to order

It would be better if you sent me your Dragonfist to test fit it. Speaking of Quicksilver, does anybody have any original apron cards they'd like to sell me?

3 weeks later
#2950 4 years ago

Hey all. The good news is I just received my full order for the PAA stickers. The bad news is all the cardboard mailers I purchased are still in my office in NYC.

I have every order saved in my inbox, as soon as the smoke clears I’ll reach out to you for payment and get these in the mail. Guessing it’s gonna be a couple months minimum, but rest assured I have enough to cover everybody and as soon as I am in a position to ship you’ll be hearing from me!

Cheers.

6161D42E-EA98-47D7-A3CD-987D99F9C27D (resized).jpeg6161D42E-EA98-47D7-A3CD-987D99F9C27D (resized).jpeg9A491D64-7568-4822-90DF-93ECFBED3B1B (resized).jpeg9A491D64-7568-4822-90DF-93ECFBED3B1B (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#3091 3 years ago

Anybody have a recommend for a place to snag some green (or white with gel) LED score replacements for my quicksilver? The plasma ones in it now are def. starting to show their age. Thanks!

#3093 3 years ago

Thanks. Looks like they only have the kits in stock vs. assembled. Slightly worried about mucking things up, but seems like it could be a fun project to force me into doing board work

#3096 3 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Go for it! You gotta start somewhere! I never thought I'd be up to doing board work, but with practice and patience i managed to get there. I still make mistakes sometimes, but I've come to learn a lot of mistakes can be fixed (even if the fix is a bit unsightly )
I've always wanted to order a set of those displays to assemble. Heck, I'll assemble them for ya if you can't seem to make it happen. (Of course that would mean sending them down here and back, but that's totally up to you--just thought I'd offer since I'm currently unemployed and enjoy that sort of work for the most part).....i think you can do it though. Just gotta have the right tools and a bit of practice.

Appreciate the offer and pep talk! I have some junk boards I’ve been practicing de-soldering on. Guess I can just do the reverse while I wait for the kit.

Have decent enough tools, so you’ve pushed me off the cliff... the kit it is, thanks!

#3098 3 years ago

Oh wow it’s alive, congrats!

I just ordered the white kit w/ green filters. May just keep it white... that looks sharp.

#3125 3 years ago

No post on mine.

65AEFF09-6C20-4F2E-913D-5D38B480C274 (resized).jpeg65AEFF09-6C20-4F2E-913D-5D38B480C274 (resized).jpeg
#3126 3 years ago

Oh, but do have one on right spinner!

B9C58071-291F-4F0E-B0E7-F3ADE3DC64FA (resized).jpegB9C58071-291F-4F0E-B0E7-F3ADE3DC64FA (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#3231 3 years ago

Ladies and Gents... your decals are finally going out this week. I just PMd everybody that reserved them with payment info

B0B69FCF-8A67-43DA-903B-2C690760B3F0 (resized).jpegB0B69FCF-8A67-43DA-903B-2C690760B3F0 (resized).jpeg
#3233 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

If you got spares let me know I’m in for some!

Tsskinne a few deadbeats who reserved some have ignored my payment request so I have a few more up for grabs!

EDIT: All gone now! Thanks for all the last minute orders today. I can run more in the Fall if there's additional interest cheers.

#3235 3 years ago

It’s all good. I’m selling these at cost so it’s not like I’m losing thousands here haha.

Think these will be gone by the time I make the post office trip on Thursday and if not I’ll just hang onto them in case I find 20 more Classic Sterns

#3237 3 years ago

EDIT: All gone now! Thanks for all the last minute orders today. I can run more in the Fall if there's additional interest cheers.

11 months later
#4846 3 years ago

Ah man, my Cheetah has the blue border one. The horror... I'm throwing it off a bridge ASAP!

Does anybody have a recommended source for the clear one with the right justified type? My Stars coin door is bare and could use one, and I'll prob update Cheetah as well.

#4849 3 years ago
Quoted from JLay:

got mine from Marco and I'm pretty happy w/ it. Got the bootleg non shiny credit sticker tho... Mine might go off the bridge too
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12A-283

Thanks! Does anybody make the proper foil stamped circular credit stickers? I remade those foil "approved for tournament play" apron stickers last year, maybe I should get some of those credit ones going as well if nobody supplies them. I have a non-shiny one as well on it and it's driving me nuts haha.

3 weeks later
#5018 2 years ago

My Cheetah is missing the anti-return gate near the right spinner. The part number is a-471. Does anybody have a spare they could sell me? I need the gate as well as the wire.

Looks like was used in the following:

- Memory Lane
- Stars
- Dracula
- Nugent
- Magic

Thank you kindly!

missingGate (resized).jpgmissingGate (resized).jpg
#5026 2 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I have a couple of populated playfields from other titles. Can you post a front view picture of the gate?
P.S. I think your tabby is jealous that you brought home another cat.

LOL I do have a Tabby but that's not my Cheetah! If it was I wouldn't be begging for the gate haha. I combed the Stern 81 parts catalogue so I'm pretty sure it can only come from that list of games I mentioned. But I'll measure it later and appreciate the help!

1 month later
#5306 2 years ago

I’d highly recommend Pinitech uno. I have them on one game and a set of xpins on another. The unos have much thicker digit segments and feel way closer to the warm glow of plasma. The xpins are fine but are much thinner in appearance.

It’s really hard to capture in-camera but the unos are on the right.

7E3D7685-B875-46DF-9111-5082E5AEF688 (resized).jpeg7E3D7685-B875-46DF-9111-5082E5AEF688 (resized).jpeg
#5307 2 years ago

Oh, also. Can folks chime in on the backglass quality of BallyBingo vs. BG resto? The Bally Bingo ones are a fair bit pricier after shipping to U.S. but I want the best quality so it’s not a major concern. This is for a Big Game btw.

#5323 2 years ago

Random tech question:

On my Stars, if it sits for maybe an hour or so the GI lights stay on but the inserts and score displays turn off. A game also won’t start once this occurs.

If I turn it off for ten minutes and reboot it’s fine, no blown fuses.

I installed a new rectifier board w/ new connectors, new allltek MPU / light board.

Solenoid board is original… guessing I need to fix / replace? But just wanted to see if I’m missing anything obvious before I shotgun things. Thanks!

1 month later
#5528 2 years ago

I purchased 4x complete flipper assemblies from pinball life for my rather sluggish big game project, and like a dummy I totally forgot the two higher flippers have double contact switches. The original ones have seen better days for sure and I’d like to replace them.

Could a kind soul point me out to a link where I can purchase? I have no idea which ones are correct. Thanks!

#5534 2 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I am fairly certain the Bally ones will not work properly. I thought they made contact with the wood or something because their travel is too long

Dang. Any other suggestions? Maybe something at PBR?

#5538 2 years ago

Thanks all. Will grab the Bally ones, appreciate the help!!!!

3 weeks later
#5673 2 years ago

My Cheetah is being a jerk.

When either flipper button is pressed the game goes into solenoid test mode during gameplay. It doesn’t reset, it actually goes straight into each solenoid firing one by one, weird. During the test it doesn’t start over or reset when the flippers activate, which is also odd. I swapped in a new solenoid board and no change, MPU is a weebly.

Any ideas where I should start looking?

#5675 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

start game disconnect coin door harness hit flippers.... still goes in, some other issue, but if it doesn't.... check the coin door carefully for shorts.

You are a legend, that totally worked. And I see a burn mark on the service menu button so looks like I should start there. Thank you so much!

9 months later
#6888 1 year ago

Quick tech question:

I have new XPin score displays in my nine ball. They’ve worked great for a year, but recently some player one digits start to fade after the machine is turned on for a few minutes.

If I reboot it looks great again for a few minutes but then comes back. Guessing I should be looking to repin something, any idea where to start?

Thanks!

B3455984-D54A-4780-92FA-A67E6A4D4720 (resized).jpegB3455984-D54A-4780-92FA-A67E6A4D4720 (resized).jpeg

#6890 1 year ago
Quoted from emsrph:

First I'd move this display to a different position and see if that dimming behavior moved with it to rule out connector or display issue.
Could be a cracked solder pad on the circuit board connector.

Thanks. Swapped it with P2 and now everything is working fine after being on for an hour.

#6923 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

How did you manage to fit that new base onto your playfield thought? I converted my Big Game and had to shave the base rings to fit.

Oh man, great idea. I need to buy a Dremel. It was such a tight squeeze to fit in the pinball life ones and they sit so low that the action is severely compromised. Did you shave around the circle or the flat base as well?

#6925 1 year ago

Thanks! Yeah, $75 a pop is a little too rich for me. Dremel it is, appreciate it! Mine sit so low after I jammed them in that it's impossible to get a proper hit to register a lot of times.

#6928 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My OG plastic pops measure .550" from the mounting base to the top of ring. My black plastic Pinball Life pops measure .520" from the mounting base to the top of the ring. I do not have any problems with them sitting low. I have no answer and no solution.

I bet once I shave down the circle part it should have clearance to move up a bit, thanks!

#6929 1 year ago

Speaking of Big Game, any news regarding repro playfields from any makers? This will be my first restoration attempt and lack of options are of course holding me up

3 months later
#7357 1 year ago

MVCO I may have a couple spares laying around, I'll have to check and I'll shoot ya a PM if I find them! Or, if there's additional interest I can look into doing another run of them but would need to check where the prices are at these days with my printer before giving a number.

#7366 1 year ago

MVCO I found a couple, just reply to my PM with your address and I'll send it out!

For everybody else that would like one, the printer still has my design on file so I can order more. Just shoot me a PM with how many you'd like, I'll probably stick with the stock style reflective silver vs. holographic for this run to keep things simple.

$4 per decal, $5 shipping in continental US. So if you ordered 5 decals it would be $25 for example. If you're international I can work with you, just need to figure out the shipping cost and I'd probably just ask you to send the actual shipping cost after I mail it because I'm terrible at business LOL.

I won't collect any money until these are ready to ship, but I'd like to get a ballpark of how many to order. I'll place the order on Nov 1st so ya'll have a few weeks to chime in. I'll order some extras as well for a rainy day. Cheers!

decal_A (resized).pngdecal_A (resized).pngdecal_B (resized).pngdecal_B (resized).png
5 months later
#8213 1 year ago

If anybody is looking for a really nice original/bulletproof Stars I just listed mine. A bit pricier than your average example, but if you read my description you'll see the love that went into this. Click my market page to check her out! Pickup in Buffalo NY.

Listing my fully restored Seawitch soon as well

#8215 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Sorry but not gonna be your guy GorillaBiscuits Here’s a pic of my van right now

Congrats! That will be me in another six months after I miss it haha

4 months later
#9262 8 months ago

Hate to let this go but need some funds. If anybody is looking for an insanely nice restored Star Gazer hit me up!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/161710

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 959.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 12.00
Machine - For Sale
Crystal Lake, IL
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GorillaBiscuits.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=GorillaBiscuits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.