229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr_Dude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

For you? Ok. But what if you can't stand the color green?

Honestly, that was a contributor to me selling my Quicksilver! Echoing what others said: Best max-bonus sound-effects of any Stern, and wicked-fast game-play. Alas, even with a mostly-Stern collection, I can't own all the good classic Sterns, so I've had to let F2K, Stargazer, and Quicksilver go over the years, and although I will likely never stop remorsing on them, the minty Nineball and Chetah, and decent Seawitch all serve to console me.

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

Any ideas on the value of Cheetah? None has ever sold on Pinside and it seems to show up less often than some of these other titles. There's only 37 owners listed on Pinside. Any information on what range they are selling in?

Sorry, not selling mine, but I paid equivalent of about a grand US$. Not that common indeed: You see Big Games all the time for some reason. My Cheetah was the first and only one I saw for sale in about 10 years of casual looking.

On Big Game vs. Cheetah: On paper Cheetah is the better game (more drops etc), but some argue the bingo-feature on Big Game is more fun than the somewhat different one on Cheetah. Haven't played enough Big Game to comment much (never liked that game very much), but the Cheetah sure is fun and one of the better uses of a wide-body playfield without getting into slow-moving/boring-ball mode.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

The blue cabinet has the better prototype roms. Much better sounds. Although the Green cabinet is better looking. The better sounds win out!

Wow, I had never run across the existence of alternate ROMs for Cheetah until now! I thought I was pretty expert on the Classic Sterns, but just goes to show there's always more to learn. The "blue cabinet" ROMs are not mentioned on IPDB.org, but I got the copy from PinMame so I look forward to trying them out!

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

What impedes that right orbit shot is that thin flexible metal "gate". I've seen someone mod it to a curved metal rod gate with spring instead as the original was missing. I think it helped that shot a lot.

I purchased Cliff's replacement right-orbit flap and I can attest that if properly installed (may require a little bending to get it just right) the right-orbit shot becomes much_ more reliable and fun. Honestly, having a very challenging, hard-to-achieve shot is often more fun than something easy. Anyways, my Seawitch as currently setup is quite a lot of fun. Just wish it had Quicksilver's bonus count-down and whistle on max-bonus.

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Awesome that you are routing classic SS games!
I recently had my Big Game on location in our league bar and it did "ok". Maybe a little under 1/2 what my TNA pulled in. League players loved it though super fun game for competitive/dollar games.
Any experience routing a Flash Gordon recently? Once mine is back together (installed a PF overlay) I may put it out at the bar as well.
These games certainly got played to death back in the day, wonder if it's too brutual for modern players?

I've been "routing" some of my personal machines at my work (SW development company with between 50 and 80 employees) over the years, and since I only own Bally/Sterns from 1979 to 1981, I have some experience with which titles were hottest. EBD did just fine, but boy did the flipper rubbers ever wear out fast, always at the tip (from the ball shooting at high-speed SDTM and the player trying to do a save). But honestly, the game that really rocked the casbah earnings-wise was Paragon: It was just hard enough to be challenging without being demoralizing. That game consistently earned 200 to 300 plays a week for several months (I had it set to a quarter a play, or 5 plays for a dollar), and out-earned even some modern dot-matrix titles in the same location.

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

I enjoyed the sounds of Seawitch and she could really get pumping with the drop target sounds overlapping but that damn right orbit shot was just annoying. I also had a lot of balls hop onto the plastic above the left flipper when it would ricochet off of the center bank of drop targets. Sometimes I miss that bitch!

Yeah, the ball-hop/jam on the left made the game pretty much a dog on location (jammed EVERY day!) until I added a post in the middle (plastic actually had a hole already in the right spot) to lift the plastic just a hair:

IMG_20170313_113536 (resized).jpgIMG_20170313_113536 (resized).jpg
#248 5 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I don't care what people talk about but I find it annoying when I am watching a post (or topic) for useful information and then topic gets sidetracked to "wouldn't it be great is Stern started making repros of these titles" or other unrelated BS.
In any event Bally prices would be great to see also!

Well, someone of a more pedantic nature than myself might suggest that asking for Bally prices on a thread about classic Sterns is exactly the kind of "sidetracking" that you dislike!

Personally, I have NO problem with this thread's evolution: It ticks all my interest-boxes, and I have learned something entirely new about classic Sterns (the existence of the Blue Body Cheetah ROMs), which is rare enough to satisfy me. The original question about pricing is ALWAYS a subjective-shit-show anyways: Even the appropriate price for a specific example of a game is subjective, without getting into a "pricing trend" question for a number of realtively quite rare games that many of us have only seen for sale once or twice!

Just my two-cents, and continuing to waste my time on this one thread to the exclusion of all others on Pinside!

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

"pedantic" Dr_Dude?
Very nice. Is that word actually in your vernacular or did you just open a dictionary and there it was?

Not sure where you're going with this, but it's not like I was trying to be sesquipedalian :>

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 959.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 169.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr_Dude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=Dr_Dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.