20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Completist.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#461 5 years ago

I have two classic sterns currently. I had a pair of F2K's I bought as projects (one was originally a parts machine for game specific parts with a roached PF). Ended up finding a nice original populated PF and a CPR repro and in the end was able to make two full games (without needed to use the cheesy repro pop bumper caps which i disliked). The first was completed and sold before I moved. i still have the full restore project on the go. Cab work is done and ready for stenciling when i get to it...

latest find which came out of the blue when i was picking up a pin recently was a decent Seawitch. Needs a bit of board work but I have so many spare early stern parts now I'll be in good shape there . Looking forward to getting this one running again too!

#544 5 years ago

Ok Classic Sterners. Just looking for some quick input on what people regard as important in terms of desirability/ value in these games. The Seawitch i got in a package deal needs some board work. Typically i’m fussy about keeping these older games original (of course i dont keep old worn out rubbers in them ). But i do have an Altek i can throw in it. So does the type of boards you have matter much - from a “collectibility” perspective?

#546 5 years ago

Cool thanks. And that was quick! For certain things i think it’s important to “upgrade” like installing a beefier rectifier board to bulletproof that area of the game so to speak.

I’ve seen fs ads where people highlight that the serial numbers for the boardsets match. So thought there was something to that.

#549 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

You can always just keep the original board in the cab and include it if you ever sell the game.

Good point. I have a restored F2K and once you put in a repro pf the whole originality of it is kind of lost. But looks much better than the busted up way i found it! My goal there was to return the game to its original glory..

I’ll try and get the original mpu to boot of course. While i’m comfortable doing my own boardwork when i know whats wrong, i can’t profess to be the worlds best troubleshooter. I don’t have a test bench or anything much more than my logic probe (still in original packaging lmao). Ive been luckey so far and havent run into to many major issues.

1 year later
#2958 4 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Carriage bolts are used on slings holding plastics in place. Bally games use T-nuts

I threw away those old carriage bolts and installed t-nuts and used the 6/32 bolts made for those star posts.

#2959 4 years ago

Does anyone know of a source for new classic stern coil wraps?

#2962 4 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Was considering T-nuts

I know its not original but my rationale was neither is my repro pf... this way i know they won’t spin.

2EC68098-6659-4540-BEB5-64586553B429 (resized).jpeg2EC68098-6659-4540-BEB5-64586553B429 (resized).jpeg
#2972 4 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

I print on staples sticker paper. Cut and peel. Works great.
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/coil_wrappers.htm

Quoted from Inkochnito:

Did you check my website http://www.inkochnito.nl ?
Look in the "coil wrappers" section.

Thank you both - i’ll check those out

3 months later
#3471 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Haha oh man. A few sheet rock screws. Then some odd plastic “fixes”. I should post pics. The clear layer must of broke so they took spacers out and had the art plastic be the guide. The galaxy curve shot was blown out and some cut tube was the guide, lol.
When the game is in attract mode, I see lights, sound and relay gi. So it’s a start! Player 3 display is not working, player 4 seems to work but goes on/off. When I switched plugs p3 and p4, then that display stayed lit so not sure why p4 would blink unless I need to check harness pins. I was thinking of going led displays...unless fixing the 1 can be done with some cheap parts.

Hmmm! Thank you, maybe I’ll try to find a stern kicker first and if no one has one I’ll look at a replacement. Is there any pictures of someone who installed a new version?
Looks like PBL has been making new parts, maybe we can get them to make the stern kicker. Is it the same as a bally of that same era?

I have a spare populated F2K playfield i can rob one off of. Pretty sure the kickers are identical.

1 week later
#3511 3 years ago

I believe the nomenclature is “supposed” to be black (hot) to brown, blue (neutral) to white. But whats really important here is the orientation the line cord wires on the top side of the filter. Meaning if the blue is connected to the black wires in the cabinet harness, then the hot from the line cord needs to be connected to that side. Think black to black. White to white. The brown and blue wires coming off the filter are just bridging the gap so to speak.

I just did this when i replaced the line cord on my seawitch. I read vids guide and was confused as to why my wires were reversed to his. What i found was the wire with the ribbed insulation (which is how you identify which is which since original cords do not have black or white insulation) was connected to the opposite side as his, which meant they had to hook up the blue to the black wires, instead of the white. Someone had posted a comment in his thread with the exact same thing and it was suggested it was wired wrong at the factory (according to the color scheme). But my seawitch and F2K are like that so maybe Stern didnt agree with the standard wire color standards, but they are hooked up correctly regardless lol.

Here is the pic from Vid’s Guide

65C77B04-4993-4034-B7A7-13D4D62BAE68 (resized).jpeg65C77B04-4993-4034-B7A7-13D4D62BAE68 (resized).jpeg
#3519 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

hahah yeah, I need to. I don't play this game, it is still being worked on. I'll probably unsolder and shrink tube both connections.
On mine, it looks like the ribbed one (hot) is on the right as shown in the pic from Completist

Double check (test which conductor is actually Hot from the line cord) - but I think the ribbed conductor is the neutral. This is where my differed from Vid's pic. I wasn't reusing the line cord since someone cut the ground prong off, so I just made sure the hot was ultimately going to the right spot as Quench mentioned.

2 weeks later
#3646 3 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Are there any flipper experts in here? I've rebuilt my Quicksilver flippers but they lack power. I've rebuilt plenty of flippers previously, so I wasn't sure if it was simply me comparing to my more modern pins, or I'd forgotten about their lower comparable power. I've been through Vid's guide and anything else on Pinside labelled "low power flippers classic stern/bally" etc but it's made no discernible improvement.
Along with the rebuild kit, I replaced the coils, sleeves, bushings and flipper bats. Switches gapped to 3.2mm give or take a mm or 2. Silicon spray on the flipper bats and plunger. All linkages appear to move freely. I added molex plugs for convenience.
Vid of gameplay below. I compared with Bowens tutorial and in his, there is definitely more power on his. [quoted image][quoted image]

The gap should be half that (a 16th of an inch or 1.6mm). The point at where the switch opens should be as close as possible to the end of the stroke - You don’t want to break the contacts too soon and rob yourself of power. It looks like you have a bit of over-travel in the closed position for a tight contact. What voltage are you reading at the coil lugs?

#3676 3 years ago

This may have been answered previously but my search attempts havent found anything yet. So figured i’d just ask the crew here:

What is the optimal playfield pitch for a classic Stern. Say a Seawitch. 6 degrees? 6.5 seems difficult to get to with no support nut under the front legs and the back are jacked up (3” long levelers). I’m measuring in the open area in the middle of the playfield. Up top in the pops is a wee bit steeper than down by the flippers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Crystal Lake, IL
$ 959.00
$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Completist.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=Completist and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.