IMG_3355 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 10.08.59 AM (resized).jpg
IMG_2237 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2236 (resized).png
IMG_2235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5334 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaffeineSlug.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#567 5 years ago

Looking for some drop target return springs, 5A-171. What's a good substitute? The DE/Sega/Stern current spring? https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsegastern-drop-target-spring.html

#569 5 years ago

This would be for Meteor.

1 year later
#3761 3 years ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

I have mine setup this way. I think I need to have 2 levels for my in-lane plastics. I had the bigger rubber to make the X and Y harder but changed it back for guests to play. I will check out what flipper assemblies I have.
[quoted image]

Quoting this from SR230CC a few pages back because I'm helping a friend set up his Galaxy, and the lane guides aren't even close to a smooth transition to the flipper, and I want to get this playing right. Is it common to make modifications for a smooth transition, like slotting the lane guide holes or something?

IMG_20200905_163714329 (resized).jpgIMG_20200905_163714329 (resized).jpg
#3762 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What will you give. For a kicker and pivot pair?
And how many would you buy?

I would be in at $20 for a single kicker/pivot pair.
I would buy two pairs for the one game I own right now. If I thought these would not be available long-term I'd probably buy another two pairs for some future game.
I'd probably be willing to pay a bit more if necessary, but I wouldn't buy spares.

#3780 3 years ago

Answering the galaxy flipper questions:
- mechs are original ("type 1" style)
- it's possible they're bally bats. Owner said they were Stern replacements, but I'm not sure where they came from. The "type 2" replacements on my meteor are definitely smaller, but would only make up about half the difference.
- repositioning the entire mech seems like a good idea, I didn't know how much play was available there. Long-term I think the machine will eventually get a new set of mechs, so I might wait until then just to put fewer holes in the playfield.
- machine is on location so I won't see it for a few days (hopefully). I'll take more pics this weekend.

7 months later
#4901 2 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

My question to this group at the moment is, what is it about classic Stern flippers which makes dead flipper passes so iffy? Unless the ball is really moving, many times allowing it to bounce over just makes it kind of die and drain SDTM. This doesn’t happen on the system 9 and 11 Williams games I’m more familiar with, or on the 90s pins I have worked on. Is it the “extra weight” of having a metal plate in the flipper body, making it less “live”? I really love the games, have yet to play a classic stern O didn’t enjoy, but it does require an adjustment in the “feel” of playing. Anyone have any insights on this?

Some of this may be because the shorter early Stern flipper bushings haven't been available until recently (to my knowledge at least), and bad bushings tend to let balls die on the flipper. Many games out there are probably still using original bushings.

1 year later
#7287 1 year ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Question on seawitch: I’m trying to set the coin credits to .50 a credit. I can’t get it. I’ve gone through the manual and matched up what they should be but I can either get one credit per quarter or 2 credits per quarter. I can’t get 2 quarters per credit though

Highlighted bit below is what you're trying to use, correct?

If that's not working, you might check your board to see if moving the DIP switch actually changes anything, as those can go bad. You should also check that your coin door wiring matches the schematic, although if you have all chutes set the same, that won't make a difference here.

Screenshot 2022-09-19 193026 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-09-19 193026 (resized).png
6 months later
#8491 11 months ago

Anyone used the Blue S drop target decals from Marco? How's the quality? Any other sources out there? This is all I could find.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/13A-9-B-D

2 weeks later
#8697 10 months ago

Having some issues I don't understand on a Magic I just put back together.

1. The Player 3 display is showing data from the credit display, on top of whatever it is supposed to show. For example during gameplay, the tens digit will be blank, and the 10k digit will say 3 if the game has 30 credits. This credit display info cycles in and out at a regular rate. The displays are new from Xpin. Everything works properly in display test mode.

2. A few playfield lights will flash on when they shouldn't. It's always the two orange spinner lights, the right outlane special, and the extra ball when lit insert at the top left. They will all flash on then off at the same time, at a regular interval. All bulbs are incandescent so it's not an LED thing. If one of those lights is supposed to be lit it will stay lit.

I'm kind of thinking these are both MPU issues, but I don't have a spare to swap and test at the moment. The MPU and LDB connectors have all been repinned. Any particular places I might want to look?

#8708 10 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

What happens when you disconnect both the J2 and J3 connectors off the MPU board? Does the player #3 display work ok?
The signal responsible for display #3 is also used for the lamps and switches. You possibly have a switch shorting to something on the playfield so removing J2 and J3 from the MPU board disconnects all switches.

Both of the problems go away when disconnecting J2 and J3. I had another problem that I thought was unrelated so I didn't mention it, one of the top rollover lane switches will always cause a tilt. I will go through and take a closer look at everything under the playfield, thanks.

#8718 10 months ago
Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

Both of the problems go away when disconnecting J2 and J3. I had another problem that I thought was unrelated so I didn't mention it, one of the top rollover lane switches will always cause a tilt. I will go through and take a closer look at everything under the playfield, thanks.

Found my switch problem!

20230510_082053~2.jpg20230510_082053~2.jpg
#8722 10 months ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Thanks for posting the solution. I would be interested in how to discovered this well hidden problem. What tipped you?

Quench pointed out my weird light/display issues could be related to a switch problem. This is the "G" rollover at the top of the playfield. Closing the switch always caused a tilt, so that was the first place I looked. Originally I thought that might be an unrelated problem so I hadn't looked at it previously.

6 months later
#10273 3 months ago

Looking for an original yellow star drop if anyone has one they're willing to part with.

20231205_210355_smaller (resized).jpg20231205_210355_smaller (resized).jpg
1 week later
#10306 3 months ago

Thanks for the drop target offers - yes I was hoping to find an original to match the color/shape of the rest. I ended up just buying all new from PBR, and now I'll have three backups for another game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 45.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
Boards
Troxel Repair
Boards
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
5,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vaudreuil-dorion, QC
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 31.00
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ali
Poolville, TX
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaffeineSlug.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=CaffeineSlug and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.