20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Agent_Hero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#169 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm a sound set junkie. Most of these classic Sterns we are discussing here have the sounds that jazz me. Big Game sound set was a hit from day one. Nine Ball has some cool sounds. Catacomb took a bit to grow on me. And there is Seawitch, screaming witch that she is. Dragonfist has a nice sound set. After living with these sounds it is hard for me to go back to chimes like Trident and Hot Hand.
If I had the room, I would like to have both an Ali and a Meteor. But both pins, especially Meteor, has that humming sound that drives me nuts. With Meteor I guess it is supposed to be a Meteor crashing into Earth. I know Meteor looks like a blast to play but that humming....
Bally's sounds were..ahh... interesting, I suppose. Look at this rare 326 unit Bally Voltan. Beautiful game. But what is it with those Bally sounds? They make a great looking pin seem mediocre.

And Gottlieb had a catalog of strange sounds that I just cannot wrap myself around. Here is Genie. Beautiful game to look at but those sounds...

Check out the video of Genie with Hulk sounds using the all in one board. Much better.

5 months later
#1161 5 years ago

Is there anyone who sells new complete harnesses for Big Game? Have one that's hacked up around the MPU and power sections.

#1164 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Which harness do you need? Are you looking for the displays part of the harness or are you looking for the play field part of the harness?
Shawn, at Third Coast Pinball, has been busy making play field and displays harnesses for Star Gazer and Quicksilver.
The Star Gazer displays harness works fine in Big Game. I don't know if he has tooled up to make a Big Game Play field harness. But you can contact him here.
https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1180-third-coast-pinball
Which part of yours is hacked up? Got any pics?

No pictures at the moment, but it's mainly the connectors going to the MPU and power board that have been mangled.

#1169 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Just rebuild the connectors will be much easier. If a wire is too short , solder and heatshrink a extension on it.
I've bought many games with connectors missing and wires soldered to the boards or electric taped together. Was easier to repair original or you might have to remove and desolder the whole harness off the playfield.

I've explored that option and I'd rather buy new.

6 months later
#2138 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What I can't figure 0ut is why it c0sts s0 much t0 ship between the US and Australia and Canada but yet when I buy s0me cheap item fr0m Ebay and it ships in fr0m China the shipping is super cheap,

Someone get this poor soul a keyboard.

3 months later
#2549 4 years ago
Quoted from SergioJ:

Looks nice. No fading or flaking in the reds on the backglass and minimal playfield wear that I can see. Cabinet looks decent too. Assuming additional pics don’t show any major flaws I’d say $1500 - 2000 in this market.

$1,500 on the low end?! Remember a few months back the guy posting a non-working Big Game for sale at $800, got flooded with responses wanting to buy, unlisted, then relisted at $1,200 and again flooded with responses mixed in with people mad that he relisted...I'm not sure if it ever did sell, but it was at $1,200 non-working with plenty of interest. If a working Big Game was listed at 2k I'm sure there would be plenty of interest. The way people are craving classic Sterns I'd start at 3k and see how things went. Maybe no response, but I doubt it. Don't like the price? Find another one.

7 months later
#3521 3 years ago

Stern Ali went for $1,950 + 15% buyer's premium at the Jaybird auction just now!

ali (resized).jpgali (resized).jpg87472542_4_x (resized).jpg87472542_4_x (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#3718 3 years ago

Love never dies, but glass sure as hell breaks.

#3727 3 years ago

Classic Stern aficionados: which is the better playing game, Hot Hand or Pinball ?

2 months later
#4125 3 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Let’s stop destroying wonderful stern games to make all these frankenmeched other games. Leave that drop bank in your meteor and flight 2000 and trident and memory lane. These are wonderful games!

Those games will eventually be hard to find, but we'll have tons of scratch-built Quicksilver's for $7,500.

2 weeks later
#4214 3 years ago

Is it possible to purchase the top channel part for Stern backglasses? I'm looking for the metal strip that the cabinet locks into to hold it in place. Also, is it the same as what is used for System 80 Gottliebs?

#4217 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Most people just replace the top trim with a plastic one, i do not think you can find a reproduction of the original one nowadays.

How is the glass secured without it? Seems dicey to leave it up to a small groove.
Surprising that no one remade an alternative with all of the other random parts that are produced several times over by various outlets.

4 months later
#4766 3 years ago

I'm trying to fix some strange behavior in my Catacomb. Are these disc capacitors correct for replacing those on the switches?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/vishay/d103m43z5ul63l6r/?qs=GtWgGqLahXebGpson6kwGg%3D%3D&countrycode=US&currencycode=USD

Also in the manual, if I read it correctly an asterisk denotes when the disc capacitor is needed on a switch, correct?

2 weeks later
#4789 3 years ago

I must have misunderstood their big announcement for the new printing process for their playfields or whatever it was a year ago. I thought they said there was no more "limited run" or "stock on hand" and they could have a playfield made on demand. I know they went out of stock on Catacomb, but are now back in stock on those.

5 months later
#5701 2 years ago

Is Ali that good of a game that no one is suggesting dumping it? I've never played one.

#5706 2 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I like it better than Big Game.

I like Cheetah better than Big Game, but I saw you don't think highly of Cheetah. In Big Game, the sequence of rip left spinner/saucer/B-I-G lanes to pop bumpers is what kills the buzz of fast game play in the lower part of the playfield. When ripping spinners in Cheetah, the game continues to something else useful. Even the spinner that leads to Cheetah's pop bumpers has the side goal of randomly hitting the bonus-building drops at the top.

7 months later
#6742 1 year ago

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/547262640355568/

Dracula project east of Indy. Retailer Doc Pinball.

1 month later
#6918 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Dude just order the modern stern/sega/data east pop bumper assemblies from pinball life. Time saver big time.
https://www.pinballlife.com/desega-pop-bumper-assembly.html

I bought these and installed them in a fairly simple swap out, but what about the old pop bumper cap? Big Game's pop bumper caps don't fit the new assembly as the old cap's mounting holes are further apart. Play-wise, these are quite an upgrade and really pepped up my game.

#6921 1 year ago

With the top cap removed, the entire assembly slid up through the hole and mounted into place. Fit wasn't a problem on my cabinet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 959.00
$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 169.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Agent_Hero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=Agent_Hero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.