229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1792 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I must’ve worded my question weird. I meant to ask if there’s a benefit to switching if the original board works.
My bad. Thanks for the replies.

I guess the only benefit would be a higher likelihood that you won't experience a failure due to aged or fatigued components.

3 years later
#7522 1 year ago

Hey folks… have a new meteor that’s set to 5 ball. How are the dip switches ordered on the cpu board? I see one bank positioned horizontally in the middle of the board, and three banks vertical on the right side…

#7527 1 year ago
Quoted from La4s:

Sounds like you either have the AllTek or Nvram.Weebly board. There should be 4 banks of dip switches veritcally on the right of the board. You want to change switch marked 7 to OFF.
The single dip in the middle of the board is for selecting the game ROM.
[quoted image]

Yes, it’s NVRAm… it’s just that all of the dip switch banks have a 7 in them.

Here’s what mine looks like. Not sure up from down here. Hoping a Meteor junkie can give them all a quick peek and see if anything is out of sorts… but mainly wanting to get this puppy on 3 ball

991BD41A-6A74-40B1-8259-5B22DB547610 (resized).jpeg991BD41A-6A74-40B1-8259-5B22DB547610 (resized).jpegDA72A937-DA20-482B-A1FA-91F6EF838097 (resized).jpegDA72A937-DA20-482B-A1FA-91F6EF838097 (resized).jpeg
#7529 1 year ago

Ok. Made all of the adjustments. Thanks!

I don’t see reference to the game selection switches in the manual… any trick to them?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#7531 1 year ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

bunch of pdf on his web page that show what those need to be depending on board version. https://nvram.weebly.com/mpu.html

Thank you!

#7534 1 year ago

Need a little tech help on Big Game.

Yesterday, was playing a game and the right flippers went unresponsive, then came back online, and then permanetly stopped working.

So far, I've inspected for broken wires around the flippers (can't find any), confirmed the leaf switch at the flipper button is making contact and is clean. Checked fuses on the rectifier board... and gave boards in the back of the game a visual inspection.

Is there a bank of fuses I'm missing?

Thoughts?

I own two classic sterns, but really haven't needed to dig too deep, tech-wise. So, a little green here

#7536 1 year ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Check voltages would be where I would start.

Off rectifier board, correct?

#7538 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Since both flippers are not working that suggests the flippers are OK. Try a jumper wire from the yellow power wire on any other solenoid to the power lug on your right flippers and see if that helps.
or
Desolder the orange and green trigger wires from both sets of flippers and jumper criss-cross the orange and green wires and see if the problem follows the jumped wires.
and maybe....(this one is circuit board and I am at a loss) but maybe something happened with your SDU. Since you own two classic Sterns you could swap in the SDU from the other Stern and isolate the SDU that way.

I follow the first suggestion... not the second.

The Driver board is new, so, hopefully that's not it!

#7541 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Did you check the fuse between the flippers on the bottom of the playfield? Sometimes the easy stuff gets overlooked.

The left flippers are working, so I’m assuming that’s not it.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7548 1 year ago

Thanks for all of the tips, everyone. I’ll report back!

#7551 1 year ago

Update. Got it all sorted.

Ended up being a cold solder joint on one of the flipper coil legs. Discovered following confirming power at the coil, and @dotheedo's suggestion of "start a game, hold in the flipper button and lift the lower flipper by hand (assuming that’s the one with the double EOS switch). If that triggers the upper flipper, then your problem is with the double EOS switch or the lower flipper coil."

That worked... and isolated the issue to the coil with the double EOS switch. After wiggling some wires with the flipper button depressed, it became evident there was a solder problem. After some flux, a little reflow... she's back and firing on all cylinders.

Thank you, all, for all of the tech help! Despite being in the hobby for 10 years, it's awesome to get community support.

#7552 1 year ago

So, next question.

I have Big Game and Meteor. REALLY really like both of these games.

What's next???

2 weeks later
#7608 1 year ago

Ali vs Big Game…

Who wins?

#7613 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I mean questions like these don’t really matter. One game is not better than the other. Nothing is accomplished or gained by asking or answering such questions.

Just sparking conversation… not looking for some definitive answer. no need to rain on the parade!

#7615 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Didn't Harry Williams also design Flight 2000? Such a good game with a challenging to earn multi-ball.

Yup. It’s a good one, for sure!

1 month later
#7743 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Give this video a watch - it set me on the right path when I first got into re-pinning Molex connectors.

Holy f***… that guy’s fingernails need some sanitation!!

1 month later
#7991 1 year ago

Stumped…

Right flippers on my Big Game are out again. They were working, then started to rapidly pulse when the flipper button was activated. Then they died.

Few days later, they were working again, then started to rapidly pulse. No dead.

Reflowed solder. Got no result…

Ideas?

#8015 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

27dnast how are the contacts on your flipper button switches, on the cabinet?

I think they’re good to go, but will clean

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 959.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 959.00
4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vaudreuil-dorion, QC
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 169.00
$ 169.00
$ 169.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=27dnast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.