IMG_3355 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 10.08.59 AM (resized).jpg
IMG_2237 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2236 (resized).png
IMG_2235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5334 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,678 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 214.
#4451 3 years ago

Big Game: If someone has this planned for production let me know! I have a local guy willing to have a look at the art scan to clean it up. We also might have access to a playfield at our local pubcade. Been a long day & I forgot who had me print out a test for Texas years ago. Here are the bags of trans blue 3/4" & 1" lenses I had made from Northern Precision Plastics before xmas. 2500 of each at a $2k total bill.
Like I said open to doing more Stern stuff, but I may be doing a shitload of PPS stuff that none of the big guys want to do.

IMG_0115 (resized).JPGIMG_0115 (resized).JPG
#4452 3 years ago
Quoted from mappy_mouse:

All Stern Solid State could be scratch built really, the only one that would be near impossible would be Viper because of the round turret in the center of the playfield, Ramps could be made for Iron Maiden, Split Second and Lightning.

F2K, Freefall and Iron Maiden ball walkers would be a challenge.

#4453 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

There is a well respected pinsider with some real nice Sterns in his collection. He had a Viper and an Iron Maiden that he cleaned up real nice and then sold. I respect his collection and when he sold Viper and Iron Maiden that was my signal that in the playing category these two pins are not ones to chase or worry about.

Neither of those two any fun. IM feels like Vector, and Viper is a stop and go clunk fest. Beautiful art, but honestly, Galaxy is much more fun.

The pf I need anymore is Big Game, but I'm not waiting 5 years for it. First one who puts it out, gets my $.

#4454 3 years ago

I'd be in for a Trident.

#4455 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Would be great if people have the resource to refabricate the 3,4,+ style drop target banks etc,
for these games.

You can find these in parts games and populated playfields, but you have to be patient and do a lot of networking. Your best bet if building a Star Gazer is to use Meteor as a donor game; Meteor has the three drop target banks that you need. If building a Quicksilver find a Galaxy; it has a four bank drop target. Both Meteor and Galaxy are mpu200 pins so they’ll have the correct coin doors, lockdown bars and transformers.

#4456 3 years ago

I thought I heard on a podcast that Marco Specialties maybe getting the target banks manufactured for classic Stern.

#4457 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Dragonfist playfield.

same !

#4458 3 years ago

A metal water jet cutter and some bending brakes and you've got it made...

#4459 3 years ago

Since CPR has done a F2K in the past, no new ground is being broken, but Big Game is a huge play field. It will take a larger shipping box, more wood, actually more of everything. Seems to me it would have to cost more to make and more to ship. Something to keep in mind.

IMG_5397 (resized).JPGIMG_5397 (resized).JPG

#4460 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Kerry sent me an email today regarding the sling shot kickers. His first attempt has failed. He did not elaborate. He says he will get back to them in a couple of weeks.
I imagine he will be rolling this problem around in his head reaching for a solution.

Just curious if you have any updates on the sling kickers? I really need a couple of sets for my Nine Ball and Meteor.

#4461 3 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Just curious if you have any updates on the sling kickers? I really need a couple of sets for my Nine Ball and Meteor.

I have been meaning to contact Kerry and see how he is coming. His 1st attempt was a bust. He came back and told he was working on a different approach that might work out. That is the last I heard.

I'll send him an email.

Thanks for reminding me.

EDIT: Email sent.

#4462 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I would also love a Dragonfist playfield.

I have a surprise for you. The astute classic Stern pinhead will notice this is a pic of my Dragonfist cabinet. He will also see that there is no play field.

IMG_5399 (resized).JPGIMG_5399 (resized).JPG

I tried to get something going with Stu at CPR. It did not happen. That is long story.

I have asked Mirco and he has said it is OK that I can now tell this. 4 months ago, Mirco agreed to reproduce my Dragonfist play field. Per Mirco, Dragonfist will be in production shortly. Very shortly.

My Dragonfist play field was in 99% good condition. It was just dirty deep down in the clear with swirl marks and crazed inserts. I expect to see a very nice reproduction of Dragonfist. I sent Mirco my plastics as well. I assume he will be offering the plastics as he is doing with Nine Ball. I like that he does this because it means the plastics will match the play field with matching colors.

So, there it is. Anybody who wants a Dragonfist play field will be able to assuage their lust in sort order.

4 months from start to finish.

You are welcome.

#4463 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You are welcome.

Wow this is incredible news! Between this news, 9-Ball & upcoming rumored Alien Star, Mirco is really coming through.

#4464 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have a surprise for you. The astute classic Stern pinhead will notice this is a pic of my Dragonfist cabinet. He will also see that there is no play field.

You had me worried Craig. I thought that some classic Stern fan broke into your house and stole your Dragonfist playfield! I'm glad that I scrolled down and continued reading. Thanks for all that you do to help us in our community.

#4465 3 years ago

Anyone know what kind of arm the head lock on a Seawitch uses? Nothing I have on hand fits right (not that I really need it since this is not on location, but it would be nice from a completeness standpoint).

#4466 3 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Anyone know what kind of arm the head lock on a Seawitch uses? Nothing I have on hand fits right (not that I really need it since this is not on location, but it would be nice from a completeness standpoint).

Is this for the backglass lock?
Or the backbox head bolts?

#4467 3 years ago

This is a Stern back glass lock. Hard to find. A Bally is similar but will not interchange. But you mighty be able to take a Bally unit and cut the Bally tabs off and weld some "Z" angles and make it work.

IMG_5405 (resized).JPGIMG_5405 (resized).JPG

IMG_5404 (resized).JPGIMG_5404 (resized).JPG
IMG_5403 (resized).JPGIMG_5403 (resized).JPG

#4468 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This is a Stern back glass lock. Hard to find. A Bally is similar but will not interchange. But you mighty be able to take a Bally unit and cut the Bally tabs off and weld some "Z" angles and make it work.

Ha! Thank you!! Turns out I do have one, just didn’t realize what the hell it was since I’ve never seen one installed and this one was lying in the bottom of the cabinet when I bought my machine. This explains the tabs on the top trim for the glass.

All I have to figure out is a pivot for the side opposite the lock. That piece seems to be missing in action. Time to dig into the parts and hardware collection.

67524235-0315-4502-AC6F-7EB635ED0934 (resized).jpeg67524235-0315-4502-AC6F-7EB635ED0934 (resized).jpeg
#4469 3 years ago

Ha! Thank you!! Turns out I do have one, just didn’t realize what the hell it was since I’ve never seen one installed and this one was lying in the bottom of the cabinet when I bought my machine. This explains the tabs on the top trim for the glass.
All I have to figure out is a pivot for the side opposite the lock. That piece seems to be missing in action. Time to dig into the parts and hardware collection.[quoted image]

A couple of my Sterns do not have the pivots. You will need a spacer and a wood screw and a washer.

#4470 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]
I tried to get something going with Stu at CPR. It did not happen. That is long story.
I have asked Mirco and he has said it is OK that I can now tell this. 4 months ago, Mirco agreed to reproduce my Dragonfist play field. Per Mirco, Dragonfist will be in production shortly. Very shortly.
My Dragonfist play field was in 99% good condition. It was just dirty deep down in the clear with swirl marks and crazed inserts. I expect to see a very nice reproduction of Dragonfist. I sent Mirco my plastics as well. I assume he will be offering the plastics as he is doing with Nine Ball. I like that he does this because it means the plastics will match the play field with matching colors.
So, there it is. Anybody who wants a Dragonfist play field will be able to assuage their lust in sort order.
You are welcome.

Thank you! He had offered to take mine as well but seeing as how he has had my Centaur playfield for over two years now I wasn’t super comfortable sending him
My Dragonfist.

#4471 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Thank you! He had offered to take mine as well but seeing as how he has had my Centaur playfield for over two years now I wasn’t super comfortable sending him
My Dragonfist.

I was aware of the situation with Crispin and his Quicksilver so we had a conversation. And I was satisfied. I also told him I had bought one of his early Quicksilver play fields that did not have the keylines around the rollover inserts. He said send it back to him and he would make the correction.

I thought about that and got a little nervous. But then, I thought that I sent him the money for the QS in the first place and he sent me a play field. So, why worry about it.

So, the box my QS arrived in was big enough that I was able to ship the QS along with the Dragonfist. And Mirco provided the shipping label.

I hope he has good success in selling Dragonfist.

#4472 3 years ago

So here is the last chance for Big Game. Seeing if the art file can get improved from a local guy here & we likely have a donor playfield to look at here in Halifax. I would ask someone who can reach Mirco if he IS NOT DOING BIG GAME EVER! Unfortunately he will not respond to me. Also there is a chance that Gary Stern MAY start to enforce his rights. If things work out by next month I will plan for March production & priced at $700 US & $50 US shipping to USA. If there is a license required add $100 US!

Star Gazer playfields in production this is your last chance to pm or email me before time runs out Friday 15th for $600 US. Any new requests after this goes to $700 US this year. If you have sent me a email or pm you are locked in to the lower price offered!

Seawitch is the same deal before the end of January to lock in the price.

#4473 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

A couple of my Sterns do not have the pivots. You will need a spacer and a wood screw and a washer.

Yup - that’s my situation. There’s just one hole in the head where it would pivot. Thanks for the confirmation!

#4474 3 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

If things work out by next month I will plan for March production & priced at $700 US & $50 US shipping to USA. If there is a license required add $100 US!

For March? That is rolling right along. The prices you quote seem like you are right there in the thick of it.

I hope the file that I sent you helps you out. I now have access to a file transfer service, if you need another large file, I would be happy to get it to you. Big Game has a lot of intricate colors involved. The colors on my file are so close I say they are on the money. But I can get you pictures or partial scans whenever you want.

#4475 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

F2K, Freefall and Iron Maiden ball walkers would be a challenge.

Good point, forgot about those , thanks for the memory reboot, would still be a great thought though.

#4476 3 years ago

Yes getting the ball rolling on Big Game. More details to follow.

#4477 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]
You are welcome.

This is incredible. My FIST is super sweet but I would probably grab one of these. Amazing stuff.!!

#4478 3 years ago

great news. Big Game is my keeper stern.

#4479 3 years ago
Quoted from mappy_mouse:

Good point, forgot about those , thanks for the memory reboot, would still be a great thought though.

The only ball walker is GAMATRON!!!! Everything else is a metal stick holding a ball. Sad discovery.....

DSCF6308 (resized).JPGDSCF6308 (resized).JPG
#4480 3 years ago

I have a spare original playfield if that helps

#4481 3 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Quoted from cottonm4:

I have been meaning to contact Kerry and see how he is coming. His 1st attempt was a bust. He came back and told he was working on a different approach that might work out. That is the last I heard.
I'll send him an email.
Thanks for reminding me.
EDIT: Email sent.

Kerry got back with me. He is having some tooling issues he and his guys are trying to figure out. So, he is working it, but no cigar just yet. I'm guessing these are not on his hot list so we will have to wait.

#4482 3 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

The only ball walker is GAMATRON!!!! Everything else is a metal stick holding a ball. Sad discovery.....[quoted image]

The walker on this Flight 2000 would beg to differ!

living_room (resized).jpgliving_room (resized).jpg
#4483 3 years ago

So, I have my new Stern Stars mostly working. The main issue I'm dealing with is a "pulsing" flipper. When the button is pressed it seems like it's firing off 10 times a second. Not really sure what might be causing that.

#4484 3 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

So, I have my new Stern Stars mostly working. The main issue I'm dealing with is a "pulsing" flipper. When the button is pressed it seems like it's firing off 10 times a second. Not really sure what might be causing that.

Check that the EOS contacts are clean and gap is correct
Edit- same with flipper button contacts

#4485 3 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

The hold coil winding is probably broken. With the EOS switch open, check the coil with an ohmmeter by placing the leads on the terminals at the banded ends of the diodes. You should read about 350 ohms if the winding is good.

#4486 3 years ago

It was just a bit of grime on the contact of the flipper button. Plays like a champ now. Feels great to cross that project off my to do list.

#4487 3 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

It was just a bit of grime on the contact of the flipper button. Plays like a champ now. Feels great to cross that project off my to do list.

Good deal, easy fix.

#4488 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So I found the saucer kickout mech , but now I’m trying to find a replacement for the saucer switch. Old part number is SW-467.
Would this work as a replacement? It doesn’t have the adjustment bar though.
https://www.pinballlife.com/bally-secondary-end-of-stroke-switch-normally-open.html
And does anyone know the replacement switch used in the drop target assemblies....the switches that mount on the back of the assembly, not on the bottom.

Did you get your answer on this @hoakypoaky? A regular old 3-lug switch is what I used but you do need a spacer to have it sit right on the saucer: https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-score-switch.html?Category_Code=

The spacers are NLA but could very easily be 3D printed. Same spacers used on spinner switches.

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 2.31.52 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-15 at 2.31.52 PM (resized).png
#4489 3 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Did you get your answer on this hoakypoaky? A regular old 3-lug switch is what I used but you do need a spacer to have it sit right on the saucer: https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-score-switch.html?Category_Code=
The spacers are NLA but could very easily be 3D printed. Same spacers used on spinner switches.[quoted image]

I did not get an answer, so thank you for this. I guess it will make more sense to put together when I have the parts in hand.

Any idea for drop target switch replacements?

#4490 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Any idea for drop target switch replacements?

You could get the "standard" switch and place it on the bottom of the Drop target; This keeps you from having to chase that metal strip with the funny bends. If you place them on the bottom they will mount like any other switch. Some poo poo the bottom mount style as troublesome but my Dragonfist has one drop assembly with the switches on the bottom and never missed a beat.

When I finish my Star Gazer, one of those drop assemblies will have the switches on the bottom. And when I replace the play field on my Nine Ball I will mod my wiring and place the switches for both targets on the bottom. Why? If your drop assembly is placed up close toward the back glass and you lift the play field, those 2 Nine Ball drops are impossible to access if you need to adjust the switches.

I am going to make another of my wild ass guesses. Stern added a mounting plate for the switches and placed the switches on the back instead of the bottom as a means to improve production flow. One person could be building the drop assembly and another could build 3 switches to the switch plate and then attach the plate with the 3 switches to the assembly and move it on down the line.

I do not think Stern made the move from the bottom to the backside of the drop assembly to correct any performance issues.

To use switches on the bottom of the drop assembly you will need EOS style switches.

IMG_5417 (resized).JPGIMG_5417 (resized).JPG

IMG_5418 (resized).JPGIMG_5418 (resized).JPG

IMG_5419 (resized).JPGIMG_5419 (resized).JPG

#4491 3 years ago

Here is the Big Game art file that needs lots of work. Had another test print done today & the printer said it needs work! I will pick it up Monday & have a look. We do have a local donor playfield. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vGFbm0cXq9HDgREJPaD5M-snQeMnAAE9
Pictures of latest production Seawitch & another 32 in for cnc.

IMG_0117 (resized).JPGIMG_0117 (resized).JPGIMG_0118 (resized).JPGIMG_0118 (resized).JPG
#4492 3 years ago

Did you get your answer on this hoakypoaky? A regular old 3-lug switch is what I used but you do need a spacer to have it sit right on the saucer: https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-slingshot-score-switch.html?Category_Code=
The spacers are NLA but could very easily be 3D printed. Same spacers used on spinner switches.[quoted image]

i have looked for replacement for those too... isn't there a couple places that do 3d printed stern stuff (like coin door inserts, start button or that shapeways store with the plastic pop)? they should have those to their list

#4493 3 years ago

Here is the Big Game art file that needs lots of work. Had another test print done today & the printer said it needs work! I will pick it up Monday & have a look. We do have a local donor playfield. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vGFbm0cXq9HDgREJPaD5M-snQeMnAAE9
Pictures of latest production Seawitch & another 32 in for cnc.[quoted image][quoted image]

Need two pix to complete the big game...
1) a good pix of the right tiger leaf and claws.
2) top arch center top leaves.

#4494 3 years ago

Has the problem of getting "ghost scoring" when starting a game been discussed?

On my Meteor, he score display racks up a score when the machine is re-setting after the play button is pressed on the coin door!?!

It's very random, and after playing a few games, one out of 6 did not give a phantom score.

Thanks,

Nate

#4495 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

On my Meteor, he score display racks up a score when the machine is re-setting after the play button is pressed on the coin door!?!

You likely have a drop target switch that is adjusted too close. The software specifically clears switches after a reset so they do not score from switch bouncing, but anything adjusted really close will still be bouncing after the timeout period.

Figuring out which targets were down when you started the game and then score will help you narrow it down. The meteor bank is notorious for this.

#4496 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

OMG! i missed that msg, great news, thanks a lot for helping with this!

#4497 3 years ago

I do a bunch of reproduction parts and happy to recreate these and make it a free file so you have the option to make it yourself.

If someone can give me the accurate dimensions of the block and hole locations / size I can make available today.

here is my other reproduction gear
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinksreproduction&sort=newest

#4498 3 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

I do a bunch of reproduction parts and happy to recreate these and make it a free file so you have the option to make it yourself.
If someone can give me the accurate dimensions of the block and hole locations / size I can make available today.
here is my other reproduction gear
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinksreproduction&sort=newest

oh yeah, ordered a bunch from your shop, thanks for the plastic pops!

#4499 3 years ago

My Stars has a missing lockdown bar. Well, to be specific, it’s missing the portion of the lockdown bar that attaches to the receiver. Wondering if anyone has replaced the lockdown bar and receiver on Classic Sterns with something available from pinball part suppliers? If so, what works and where do you buy?

E24616B0-43F3-4C28-AA6A-D127D8A67717 (resized).jpegE24616B0-43F3-4C28-AA6A-D127D8A67717 (resized).jpeg
#4500 3 years ago
Quoted from MMGB:

My Stars has a missing lockdown bar. Well, to be specific, it’s missing the portion of the lockdown bar that attaches to the receiver. Wondering if anyone has replaced the lockdown bar and receiver on Classic Sterns with something available from pinball part suppliers? If so, what works and where do you buy? [quoted image]

Here are your options. None are perfect.

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=lockdown%20bar

Yours is the early style receiver. Getting very hard to find.

Go to Pinball Life. Search "lockdown bar"

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=lockdown%20bar

Get one of these late model Stern lock bars. Ask if they have the two latches that hold it in position. If they don't, then don't worry about it. Remove your receiver and the new bar will fit and should stay in position. I don't even bother to latch the bar in my Munsters and it stays put.

Sorry, it is black. This is the best I can find.

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-dual-latch-lockdown-bar.html

If the above don't work for you then start watching Ebay everyday.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 169.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 10.00
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 169.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 31.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ipswich, MA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 45.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
$ 45.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 125.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,678 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 214.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/90?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.