Topic Stats

• 2,426 posts
  • 203 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 102 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 728 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2346 (resized).JPG
IMG_6154 (resized).JPG
IMG_20191027_184835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2269 (resized).JPG
IMG_2268 (resized).JPG
IMG_2267 (resized).JPG
IMG_2266 (resized).JPG
IMG_2264 (resized).JPG
IMG_2230 (resized).JPG
IMG_2234 (resized).JPG
IMG_2231 (resized).JPG
IMG_2232 (resized).JPG
20191021_162604.jpg
IMG_20191019_134829986 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
IMG_20191020_174420 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2426 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 49.
#401 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have some Cheetah plastics. I have the ball guides but the tips by the flippers are broken. I would prefer to see them all but have not been actively presenting them and I don't know how to price them.

Maybe we can trade some stuff? I’ll pm you when I get back from York....

#402 1 year ago
Quoted from SergioJ:

Maybe we can trade some stuff? I’ll pm you when I get back from York....

OK. Sounds good.

#403 1 year ago

Such a good thread - Wish there were more of these games to go around.

Star Gazer, Freefall and Catacomb are all that's left on my list! Someday, I keep looking! Does anyone have production numbers on Catacomb?

#404 1 year ago
Quoted from smileymatthew:

Such a good thread - Wish there were more of these games to go around.
Star Gazer, Freefall and Catacomb are all that's left on my list! Someday, I keep looking! Does anyone have production numbers on Catacomb?

Nothing official but it's very very likely to be around the 1200 mark.

#405 1 year ago

So just as tough of the rest of those. Any idea on Split Second?

#406 1 year ago

I had a Split Second. It was a bit rough, but I had it to decide if I liked the game before I had it restored. Ended up selling it unrestored. The design is great. The rules, not so much. Not worth owning, IMO. Freefall is a close call, but I want it.

#407 1 year ago
Quoted from smileymatthew:

So just as tough of the rest of those. Any idea on Split Second?

I love split second. I think it is fun to shoot and hard to earn the multiball.

#408 1 year ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

I had a Split Second. It was a bit rough, but I had it to decide if I liked the game before I had it restored. Ended up selling it unrestored. The design is great. The rules, not so much. Not worth owning, IMO. Freefall is a close call, but I want it.

I nearly bought a Freefall.

Rules are ok, not the best.

But man, the backglass is amazing.

#409 1 year ago

So far, split vote on Split Second. You know what that means? You have to go find one out there and play it yourself. I love that about pinball. No matter the pin, someone likes it and someone else doesn’t.

To be fair, my taste is a bit of an outlier. I’m a huge Capcom fan, I love PM and think it far surpasses TOM in every way. And WPT is a top five pin for me, so take my opinion (and everyone else’s) with more than a grain of salt.

#410 1 year ago

Split Second is a little boring for me. It's better than Viper but um... Yeah.

#411 1 year ago

As good as Stern Electonics was from Meteor until about Nine Ball....they really fell off fast imo. The dual-level games never came out very good and most, if not all, of their multi-ball games had lackluster rules associated with multiball. Their best games, imo, were the -200 games with single-level and single ball play.

#412 1 year ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Their best games, imo, were the -200 games with single-level and single ball play.

I mostly agree.... BUT Catacomb is a good multiball game.

#413 1 year ago

Been a while but getting back into the classic Stern club a friend making room for a pool table is gifting me a working Dracula and a Stingray this Saturday...now to make room!

#414 1 year ago
Quoted from TomT:

Been a while but getting back into the classic Stern club a friend making room for a pool table is gifting me a working Dracula and a Stingray this Saturday...now to make room!

Appreciate Stingray.
Could you post any pics?
Would like to check it out.
Thanks in advance.

#415 1 year ago

Not a fan of Split Second myself, BUT, I haven't played it since it's heyday in the arcades.

Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of Harry Williams' designs for Stern. I'm starting to warm up to some of them (Big Game, Hot Hand) so I may actually like SS now. Never played Freefall and have concerns I won't like it, but when I finally get mine running I'll keep my expectations low. Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised. F2K is my favorite design of his, but the jury's still out as to who designed it.

#416 1 year ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Appreciate Stingray.
Could you post any pics?
Thanks in advance.

Will do should pick up this Saturday.

#417 1 year ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Not a fan of Split Second myself, BUT, I haven't played it since it's heyday in the arcades.
Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of Harry Williams' designs for Stern. I'm starting to warm up to some of them (Big Game, Hot Hand) so I may actually like SS now. Never played Freefall and have concerns I won't like it, but when I finally get mine running I'll keep my expectations low. Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised. F2K is my favorite design of his, but the jury's still out as to who designed it.

Big Game is surprisingly good and fun to shoot. Great shots on that one and the four flippers mixes things up a bit. Had it on location recently at our league place and everone loved it for competitive play.

#418 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I love split second. I think it is fun to shoot and hard to earn the multiball.

Of all the times I've screwed around with PAPA's Split Second I never figured out the multi ball. New goal for the PPO in two weeks.

#419 1 year ago
Quoted from statictrance:

Of all the times I've screwed around with PAPA's Split Second I never figured out the multi ball. New goal for the PPO in two weeks.

I probably played 75-100 games on it during Pinburgh this year. I started the multiball twice. One time the two ball and another time the 3 ball.

#420 1 year ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Appreciate Stingray.
Could you post any pics?
Thanks in advance.

Here is some pictures of my Stingray.

1FEAF413-94C1-454C-94EC-1220F8711F82 (resized).jpeg4C762219-CD4C-4C9B-BEF7-58EF04EC6327 (resized).jpeg63F6B3CC-2E67-42EB-A744-93ED80AF8B03 (resized).jpeg6BC99E9A-4B7E-4A8B-819B-5C487FA7A7BE (resized).jpeg6D1DF889-4EBF-4320-BCF5-EBAE4152AFB4 (resized).jpeg7CA89B3C-FE9F-427C-8EC5-87F4BA00E758 (resized).jpeg8BD74E87-C192-4B16-9523-F922AD9FFF12 (resized).jpeg9342199D-9E10-42FC-A240-E51CBEE775EC (resized).jpegBACBB40D-8CB9-4D37-B72A-E49FE090DD40 (resized).jpegC871869E-45A8-45B6-ADBC-C7183C9EBA07 (resized).jpegDF206501-85ED-48D5-8FA4-17F7F93C264C (resized).jpeg
#421 1 year ago

Not bad, not bad.
Is this the same one that was listed here on Pinside recently for $600?
Upper kick-out looks especially clean. Love the colors on this game, and I think the backglass is fantastic.
I'll reel one in someday. Been close.
Thanks for the pics!
Enjoy

#422 1 year ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Not bad, not bad.
Is this the same one that was listed here on Pinside recently for $600?
Upper kick-out looks especially clean. Love the colors on this game, and I think the backglass is fantastic.
I'll reel one in someday. Been close.
Thanks for the pics!
Enjoy

No I picked it up locally. I put all new Alltek boards in it, and it plays great.
If there is any interest in it let me know.

#423 1 year ago

Fresh in from Halifax.

20181017_144336 (resized).jpg20181017_163419 (resized).jpg20181017_163439 (resized).jpg
#424 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Fresh in from Halifax.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is this a 2nd Quicksilver for you, Mitch?

#425 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Is this a 2nd Quicksilver for you, Mitch?

No my first one just arrived. Only have one.

#426 1 year ago

Does anyone have a lockbar you would sell. I need one for my Stern Stars. Mine is bent up, it looks like someone tried to pry it up. If you have one shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

#427 1 year ago
Quoted from ita47:

Does anyone have a lockbar you would sell. I need one for my Stern Stars. Mine is bent up, it looks like someone tried to pry it up. If you have one shoot me a PM.
Thanks!

How bad is it bent? Got a picture? I don't have one but sometimes bent metal can be straightened.

#428 1 year ago

Man, you sure got motivated to get some sterns! Good strategy: make a thread asking about game values to gain knowledge, but also to kick owners out of the bushes so you can hound them to buy.

What's the value Dragonfist? I could use one of those...

#429 1 year ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Way more than you should be willing to pay. I would consider trading just about any machine I own (minus a few) for one. I know they are out there but I haven't tracked one down yet. If you find one and don't buy it, please pass it along. I've gathered that there were quite a few exported.

#430 1 year ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Man, you sure got motivated to get some sterns! Good strategy: make a thread asking about game values to gain knowledge, but also to kick owners out of the bushes so you can hound them to buy.

I wish it was that easy. Only one of my classic sterns came from this thread on pinside.
My f2k, freefall and quicksilver, meteor and split second all came from people who arnt even on pinside.
I had 3 or 4 people contact me on pinside but their prices were just crazy.

Also found another strange world and congo this week. Both rare games you dont see for sale often

#431 1 year ago
20181018_080415 (resized).jpg
#432 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Also found another strange world and congo this week.

Damn! congrats. I would love to find a strange world someday...

#433 1 year ago

Something else I like to do is make one wafer connector in the backbox a little more robust.

This is the connector for the flipper wires ( the green and the orange wires). There are the two flipper wires sitting at the bottom of the connector and one wire 3 places up. To me this connector seems sloppy and has a loose fit at the top part of the wafer.

IMG_8700 (resized).JPG

So what I like to do is add one or two dummy connectors at the top of the wafter to make it hold a little more solidly to the pins. It is certainly not necessary but it does add a little more grip.

IMG_8703 (resized).JPG

IMG_8709 (resized).JPG

#434 1 year ago

you can put the crimps contact without the wire inside the housing... i do it all the time when a need more grip

#435 1 year ago

I was just gonna post that.

#436 1 year ago

...and be sure to use trifurcon for better grip.

#437 1 year ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

you can put the crimps contact without the wire inside the housing... i do it all the time when a need more grip

Quoted from Mitch:

I was just gonna post that.

Well, I was going to do that but then you would have not been able to see anything

You believe me, don't you

#438 1 year ago

Can someone tell me what this “mod” is for? J3 pin 5 to C14
There isn’t even a wire that goes to pin 5.

0071F829-1E26-4295-B2DF-5330341E74B5 (resized).jpeg2A5A82FD-0B28-4BBC-A39B-29DD0A59AAE2 (resized).jpeg
#439 1 year ago

I believe it’s a jumper. Some games did have a pin in that harness. Could be for multiple speakers or an additional potentiometer.

#440 1 year ago

It's needed for games with the VSU-100 speech board.

#441 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Of your Sterns, where do you rank your Big Game. Of your collection, where does your Big Game stand?

I really like Big game..... of my Sterns.... I dunno, I like them all, with trident being at bottom of list as far as game play. Big Game would be right u p there with meteor... It's ridiculous how simple meteor is (very similar to Dracula) but man everyone who plays it really likes that game, myself included. Funny part is, my Meteor really needs a lot of work as well... & it's still fun. I'd say Big game & Meteor are both about the same for fun factor for me. Maybe slight edge to Big Game because there is just so much going on.

As far as overall collection, it's up there.... I like my Scorpion (when it is working) Paragon, Big Game, Meteor.... SilverBall, Nitro Ground Shaker..... maybe in that order? Although I can walk in the room & play Stingray any day of the week & be happy.

Of all my Solid States, Probably Mata Hari & Genie would be my 2 least favorite to play. If I didn't want to keep one wide body from each of the 4 major manufacturers I'd have probably gotten rid of Genie a while ago. I've learned that I'm just not a Gottlieb guy...

Of all the Sterns discussed in this post, one that I see not getting much talk about, that I would like to find a nice one to play is Magic.... I have never seen a nice one around to try. I really like the art on that game... rarely see them talked about or for sale. I could probably be talked into trading my Mata Hari or Genie for a decent Magic.

#442 1 year ago

Bought this wreak in July for $450cad. It did nothing but power up few display box lights. Almost every night it gets about 10 games on it.

Link to all pics fixed

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/icset5v3w69oduu/AAAD81rsyzXn4VbB99IqN_MJa?dl=0

IMG_9472 (resized).JPG
IMG_9471 (resized).JPG
IMG_9474 (resized).JPG
IMG_9887 (resized).JPG
IMG_0827 (resized).JPG
IMG_0925 (resized).JPG
IMG_0914 (resized).JPG

#443 1 year ago
Quoted from WeatherbyMAG:

Of all my Solid States, Probably Mata Hari & Genie would be my 2 least favorite to play. If I didn't want to keep one wide body from each of the 4 major manufacturers I'd have probably gotten rid of Genie a while ago. I've learned that I'm just not a Gottlieb guy...

There's a lot of Gottlieb widebody games out there that are good. Looking at your collection, your tastes are very similar to mine and these are the games I like. So maybe there's chance you would like them.

Black Hole
Counterforce
Mars God of War
Panthera
Spirit
Time Line
Volcano

Now if you're looking for the super widebodies, I can't help you. I'm not a big fan of them either.

#444 1 year ago
IMG_20181019_174305 (resized).jpg
#445 1 year ago

When it rains it pours got this one today.

20181020_120930 (resized).jpg
#446 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitch:

When it rains it pours got this one today.
[quoted image]

Congrats. My favorite early stern.

#447 1 year ago

STARS!!!!!! Wow, you are doing exceedingly well on your search for Classic Sterns!

#448 1 year ago
Quoted from klr650:

STARS!!!!!! Wow, you are doing exceedingly well on your search for Classic Sterns!

Yes, he is. And I know what he is going to be doing for the next 3-4 years

#449 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Yes, he is. And I know what he is going to be doing for the next 3-4 years

Lots of repairs!!

#450 1 year ago

4 are at Expo.

Catacomb - nice version.
Iron Maiden - I tried this one again, just not much fun at all. Stunning to look at.
Galaxy - a blast.
Dracula - was off.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morris Plains, NJ
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Montreal, QC
There are 2426 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 49.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside